Debian 9 to 10 on OpenVZ 7

Is there a way to upgrade from Debian 9 to 10 on OpenVZ 7 without the provider having to provision a new image? I tried updating /etc/apt/sources.list then using apt full-upgrade like I normally do on KVM, but the system wouldn't boot after the upgrade. Are there any tweaks I need to make to the config before rebooting? Can I just download an OpenVZ 7 Debian 10 image from somewhere and overwrite the entire file system?

Comments

• FranciscoFrancisco Hosting ProviderOG

I've yet to see a clean upgrade.

I've had a bunch of users try but it seems GLIBC doesn't go on properly.

Francisco

Thanked by (1)vimalware
  • WSSWSS OGRetired

You're gonna fuckup glibc. Just install Alpine, and feel good!

My pronouns are like/subscribe.

• Thanks for the replies. I guess I'll wait and see if the provider can upload a Debian 10 image.

Francisco said: I've had a bunch of users try

I didn't realise you still have OpenVZ servers @Francisco?

WSS said: Just install Alpine, and feel good!

All my Ansible playbooks are Debian-based, and every server I've got is running Debian (except for one running Ubuntu) :disappointed:

• FranciscoFrancisco Hosting ProviderOG

Daniel said: I didn't realise you still have OpenVZ servers @Francisco?

We upgraded our OpenVZ 6 nodes to OpenVZ 7.

I have too many users using really old installs, or installs that have had 3 - 4 rounds of random patches to make it 'sorta' work that KVM conversations were never reliable, or even possible.

We simply 4x'd everyones resources to put them inline with Slices (OVZ's being better value since plans have more cores).

Francisco

• HappyBeeHappyBee Hosting Provider

@Daniel I found many hosts are providing Debian 10 template on OpenVZ 7 nodes. Please ask your provider to upload the Debian 10 template. I think, they will surely help you with this.

• ndelaespadandelaespada Hosting ProviderOG

@HappyBee said:
    @Daniel I found many hosts are providing Debian 10 template on OpenVZ 7 nodes. Please ask your provider to upload the Debian 10 template. I think, they will surely help you with this.

I think OP is ideally looking for an upgrade vs clean install..

Owned-Networks | VPS and Web Hosting for every project size and budget
    DAL - LEN - LA - SEA - NYC - MIA - AMS - LON

• WSSWSS OGRetired

@ndelaespada said:

@HappyBee said:

I think OP is ideally looking for an upgrade vs clean install..

The way OVZ completely breaks any form of sanity is what inhibits this from happening. 7 is better than 6, but it's still not an actual complete virtual machine. Until it can compensate for not having the same hardware expected, init system expected, et al, it's always going to remain a hack that you either live with, or pay more for a KVM.

My pronouns are like/subscribe.

• @HappyBee said: Please ask your provider to upload the Debian 10 template.

In my case I was trying to switch to Debian 10 at a provider that's quite slow to respond to tickets. They still haven't responded... I think I'll just cut my losses and either stay on Debian 9 or switch to a different provider.

• @Daniel said: In my case I was trying to switch to Debian 10 at a provider that's quite slow to respond to tickets. They still haven't responded... I think I'll just cut my losses and either stay on Debian 9 or switch to a different provider.

We offer Debian 10 on VZ 7 if you're still looking around.

RamNode: High Performance Cloud VPS
    NYC - LA - ATL - SEA - NL - DDoS Protection