LET Drama, GDPR

ricardoricardo OG
edited July 2021 in General

Just in case drama is of interest and for documentation.

Comments

• NeoonNeoon OG
    edited July 2021

See, when LET was run by Deluxe, they had a "Don't sell my Information" in the footer.
    Since it was law in California, I believe and they where an American based company.

However, I don't think that Biloh cares about a EU law.
    Good luck with that.

Thanked by (1)skorous
  • ricardoricardo OG
    edited July 2021

@Neoon said:

Well, as per the rule there's 30 days which is not long off, or up to 60 days if it's a "complex" request. Doesn't seem that complex.

Didn't even get a hello from the guy.

• seriesnseriesn OG
    edited July 2021

@ricardo said:
    Just in case drama is of interest and for documentation.

Gdpr doesn’t apply to no European businesses.

• @seriesn said: Gdpr doesn’t apply to no European businesses.

That's a revelation given all the non-EU websites that ask me if I'm OK with accepting cookies or even bother to block me if they decide that it's burdensome.

If you want to the business in the EU that's the rules.

I'm simply pointing out that LET doesn't choose to.

• NeoonNeoon OG
    edited July 2021

@ricardo said:

@seriesn said: Gdpr doesn’t apply to no European businesses.

That's a revelation given all the non-EU websites that ask me if I'm OK with accepting cookies or even bother to block me if they decide that it's burdensome.

If the cookies are only technical, no one needs to ask you anything.
    Like PHP Session cookies or such.

If you want to the business in the EU that's the rules.

He is not European neither is the Site.

Thanked by (1)seriesn
  • ricardoricardo OG
    edited July 2021

Great, thanks.

I've just told him I'm 11 years old and by the definition of COPA that nothing about me can be retained.

Since I'm not a USA national that can fly, yes?

Let's see how that goes.

• @ricardo said:
    I've just told him I'm 11 years old and by the definition of COPA that nothing about me can be retained.

Your account is created on 2013, if you are 11 years old now then you created your account when you were 4?

• @FAT32 said: Your account is created on 2013, if you are 11 years old now then you created your account when you were 4?

wot?

I told an original story and it apparently won't fly, you're telling me alternatives aren't ok?

• @ricardo said:

@FAT32 said: Your account is created on 2013, if you are 11 years old now then you created your account when you were 4?

wot?

I told an original story and it apparently won't fly, you're telling me alternatives aren't ok?

Lying doesn’t work either. The only drama here is you.

Let isn’t doing business with you. You didn’t pay them money. You visited their website, signed up for free and used it. So yeah, can’t twist it around. Feel free to sue them though. Usually works. @deank

Thanked by (3)vyas skorous RapToN
  • Honestly, if you stated the reasons, or which particular threads/posts that made you want to remove your contents, we would probably consider to let it slide, but you seem to just start to post all the definitions like GDPR, COPA or whatever, with intention to start a drama.

Everything you posted/shared on the Internet is considered to be retained forever. I have similar experience myself too while I was young, I asked stupid questions and people in that community make fun of me and don't want to delete them. The content might be still out there but I don't want to search for it.

Since you already contacted raindog, I will let him decide then.

Thanked by (2)seriesn lentro
  • ricardoricardo OG
    edited July 2021

we would probably consider to let it slide

who's we? I'm not after groupthink consensus, it's a simple obey the law or not thing. Pretty sure there's a lot of privacy advocates around here and piss-water excuses for providers isn't advocating it anyway.

• Please, keep your dramas at LET. This place is better without drama.

• That's disappointing. I thought a better calibre of folk ended up on this side of the fence. Guess GDPR/COPPA/user wishes were a thing, but I guess the whole 'drama' thing takes precedence. Shame.

Guess looking at the recent threads it's more of the same here anyway. Never mind. Delete the thread. Whatever.

• @ricardo

In practice, even if Ricardo is your real name, there are many guys with your name in the world, so it would be hard to identity you even if someone wanted to.

In any case, you should think of forums as though they were (archived) mailing lists, which is how people used to discuss topics (and many still do). Or Usenet groups. If you sign up and post things, you should accept that your posts may be around for a very long time.

Finally, on the technical side, I don't think that Vanilla allows user accounts to be deleted so straightforwardly.

Thanked by (1)bikegremlin

"A single swap file or partition may be up to 128 MB in size. [...] [I]f you need 256 MB of swap, you can create two 128-MB swap partitions." (M. Welsh & L. Kaufman, Running Linux, 2e, 1996, p. 49)

• ricardoricardo OG
    edited July 2021

@angstrom

GDPR is a new thing. We're not playing by old rules. Today is today. This whole "but the Internet has a forever memory thing" isn't justification for being above the law. Besides, most of the net from 10 years ago is dead from link rot, it's besides the point.

I mean, the EU spent a lot of time making that law. Websites have spent a lot of money complying with it. Their reasons for making it weren't mindless.

Personally I want to delete my posts on there because I don't want them to have my content any more. Simple. There's nowhere in their rules that say the content is owned by them, so it must be mine. It's entirely possible some of my posts are drawing some search traffic purely because of the words I use. I don't like the idea of it and want to remove my stuff.

But here, it's a case of "oh it's Lowendtalk so it's not applicable".

How many email leaks has there been from summer hosts and threads about that kind of thing? All sites are in the same boat.

• @ricardo If you want a normal discussion about GDPR and what’s reasonable and fair in that regard I think you’ve come to the right place. But now you’re just trying to create drama about another boards decisions. And it’s not the right place for that.

• ricardoricardo OG
    edited July 2021

@debaser "normal". Try be less condescending and repost. It's a simple request to delete my information as per GDPR.

Thanked by (1)cybertech
  • @ricardo said:
    @debaser "normal". Try be less condescending and repost. It's a simple request to delete my information as per GDPR.

LES is not the helpdesk for LET.

Hey teamacc. You're a dick. (c) Jon Biloh, 2020.

• Correct. They both seem like the same place. A sanctuary for people with the emotional intelligence of 12 year olds that can't see past their own nose.

• @seriesn said:

Thanks for that. I'll be sure to refer to you for my "Ryzen Powered NVME VPS"

• bruh21bruh21 Hosting Provider

why do you come here to complain about another site? as if anyone here can help you

Thanked by (1)vyas
  • ricardoricardo OG
    edited July 2021

I thought I'd have a throw of the dice and see if someone has something interesting to say. I was wrong. I signed up here when a bunch of people moved from LET but never posted much. Glad I didn't invest the time - for me I'm just elaborating on one of the flaws of the place, the unaccountability, the childish moderators. But there it is. c'est la vie. I can find cheap VPS providers on other sites.

• As many have said before, this appears to be a LET matter, and not LES. unless of course you are bored and looking For some attention .

Thanked by (1)skorous
  • @ricardo said:

@seriesn said:

Thanks for that. I'll be sure to refer to you for my "Ryzen Powered NVME VPS"

Thanks sweetie. 😘

Thanked by (2)skorous Clouvider
  • ricardoricardo OG
    edited July 2021

@vyas said: As many have said before, this appears to be a LET matter, and not LES. unless of course you are bored and looking For some attention .

What's this about attention. Isn't this place about the "low end VPS market place". Tell me it's something else. I've been a member here a year. I would've considered this relevant content but clearly you've all got your noses turned up because it's a LET subject. Clearly a similar amount of groupthink here as there was there.

I know all I need to know, there's zero value in posting this here. Delete the thread if necessary. I won't be checking this place out.

• MasonMason AdministratorOG

Yeah... pretty much this:

@debaser said:
    Please, keep your dramas at LET. This place is better without drama.

And this:

@seriesn said:
    Gdpr doesn’t apply to no European businesses.

/thread

Head Janitor @ LES • AboutRulesSupport

This discussion has been closed.