Any first hand experience with hetzner ddos protection?

Right now we are running most of our stuff at ovh, and that works out alright. However, their pricing is high compared to hetzner. We are tempted to order a ax101 for our game servers, and a storage server for our plex, but i read alot of different things around their ddos protection. We have constant ddos running on our game servers, without even noticing it. The only thing we notice is a email from ovh telling us they are mitigating a attack on ip xx.xx.xx.xx.

Is there any first hand experience on hetzners ddos here? As far as i understand, it takes a few minutes for it to kick in if a attack hits. Is this the case?

Comments

• Don't expect same performance and features from hetzner especially if you are doing game hosting.

• Hetzner themselves call their DDoS protection basic. It is absolutely fine and sufficient for an everyday dude like myself (Hetzner customer since 10 years), but my guess would be that you are better off with OVH for your needs and application. Their gameserver DDoS protection has a good reputation, so I would not change a well running config to save some bucks.

Thanked by (1)Hetzner_OL

Amitz, a very stable genius (it's true!) and Grand Rectumfier of the official LESLOS® (LES League of Shitposters).
    Certified braindead since 1974 and still perfectly happy.

• Hetzner has a very bad configured Arbor DDoS Protection, you can't call it an real protection because it filters a DDoS first after a couple of minutes when your server is already down... Their Cloud Servers should be a bit better Protected than the Dedicated Servers.

• In other words, stay on ovh for this. Alright, thanks guys

• @Kaffekopp said:
    In other words, stay on ovh for this. Alright, thanks guys

NP, we are here to help ^^

• Well, sounds bad, but I guess it makes sense if its a virtual server, to prevent the host port to be loaded and take the entire host node down.

• nullroutenullroute Hosting Provider

Hetzner's DDoS protection is weak and for games it doesn't work as in some cases it takes up to 5 minutes to activate.

https://purplehost.com.br - Reliable, secure and affordable game hosting.

• Yes.

Abuse Message [AbuseID:xxxxxxxxxxxx]