Best way to migrate all files from GDrive except Google Docs/Slides?

YmpkerYmpker OGContent Writer

So, i am basically looking for an easy way to free up my free GDrive storage as it will soon be hitting the 15GB Cap. I would very much like to move all (/most) files except those that need Google to be functioning (Google Docs/Slides..) to Koofr. This can happen through Koofr's "move" feature directly, or I can copy them to my desktop first and then move them to Koofr.

What would be the best practice for this? @vyas did you try something like this before? I remember you to be a fellow Koofr user? :)

I could also boot into linux or enable WSL and then use smth like

find <folder_to_search> ! -name '*.<extension>' -type f | xargs cp -t <target_directory>

This was my first google result kinda. Anyway, looking forward to your ideas :)

Comments

• edited February 2022

If koofr works with rclone maybe thats an idea?
    https://rclone.org/koofr/

In short you configure gdrive and koofr on rclone. And move it using rclone sync. its very similar to rsync but it works with cloud storage providers

Thanked by (3)Ympker vyas chimichurri
  • YmpkerYmpker OGContent Writer
    edited February 2022

@vuong said:

In short you configure gdrive and koofr on rclone. And move it using rclone sync. its very similar to rsync but it works with cloud storage providers

I am afraid, I have never used rclone before, but I assume I can also easily exclude certain file extensions like .gdocs there, then? Seems like this could be a good reason to give rclone a try :)

• @Ympker said:

@vuong said:

I am afraid, I have never used rclone before, but I assume I can also easily exclude certain file extensions like .gdocs there, then? Seems like this could be a good reason to give rclone a try :)

Yup I think something like --exclude "*.gdocs" should work for you

Thanked by (1)Ympker
  • vyasvyas OG
    edited February 2022

I have moved (and screwed up) files and folders from Koofr to gDrive and vice versa more times than you would care!!

If you don't want to be too adventurous, let us say you have a gDrive account , let's call it "A" . Then in gDrive for A:

Stage Zero:
    Move all other docs and folders to a parent folder called “Sync-To-Koofr” or something like that . (Referred to as “Sync” for convenience going forward)

(optional: move all gDocs and gSlides to folders called /gDocs and /gSlides folders respectively, This is an optional prudent measure if considering rclone, you can skip this step).

That gives you a whole bunch of alternatives to consider.

Alternative 1:
    In Koofr connect gDrive A to Koofr. This is how it looks for me in iOS app

Copy “Sync” folder from gDrive A to Koofr. Copy, not move.
    In Move option, if an error occurs, you lose the files.
    Remember, it is like cut+paste versus copy+paste.

• Once transfer is complete, check in Koofr status if all files have transferred. Then delete “Sync” from gDrive.

All can be done via web browser.

Looks like Alternative 1 it is for @ympker

Alternative 2:
    These days, I would prefer a vps with rclone configuration to move files from gDrive to Koofr. Something Like @vuong mentioned.

Keep a similar folder structure, from gDdrive copy the “Sync” folder to vps. Alternative to copy:
    Use ‘rclone sync’ command.

Next. From vps move files to Koofr.

Delete from gDrive and VPS once files’ sanity check is done on Koofr. I like to keep the option of
    --log-file transfer.log flag in rclone for transfer or sync.

Alternative 3:
    Download the “Sync” folder from gDrive to local machine. gDrive will make a .zip and send to you. Chrome you get automatic download as always. In FFalso, upto 10 GB no problem faced by me.

Unzip the folder into local machine, sync locally with Koofr app if installed on local machine. Or, upload the zip to Koofr and upzip.

Delete originals from gDrive and local

Alternative 4:
    On Mac or Windows (possible in Linux too but haven’t tried), not sure about a Chromebook

Install gDrive and Koofr apps.

“Hot sync” gDrive's “Sync” folder to local machine. All content gets downloaded to local.

Next, Disconnect gDrive. Then,
    “Hot sync” same folder to Koofr. All files get uploaded there. Identical folder structure.

Disconnect Koofr from local machine

Finally,
    Delete “Sync” folder from local and gDrive

Alternative 5
    (known in S Asia or among South Asians as a “Desi Jugaad” best can be described as a "duct Tape solution" )
    @seriesn @vimalware may be familiar with the term.

Open a new google account. Let us call this new account as account B. Invite your new account (B) from existing account (A) : ie share “Sync” folder from gDrive A with new account, gDrive B. Log out.
    Next,
    Log on as account B, copy shared folder to gDrive of B.

Log out from B

Log on to A, disconnect the share, delete the “Sync” folder from A.

As they say,
    Sky is the limit !!

Best wishes

Thanked by (3)Ympker mikho user123
    edited February 2022

@vyas said:
    I have moved (and screwed up) files and folders from Koofr to gdrive and voce versa more times than you would care!!

If you dont want to be too adventurous, in gDrive, Move all gdocs and slides to /gdocs and /slides to respective folders

Move all other docs and folders to a parent folder called “Sync”.

Option 1:
    In Koofr connect GDrive.

Copy “Sync” folder to Koofr. Copy, not move. In Move if an error occurs, you lose the files. Like cut+paste versus copy+paste.

Check in Koofr status if all files have transferred. Then delete from gDrive.

All via web browser.

Option 2:
    These days
    I would prefer a vps with rclone configuration to gdrive and koofr. Like @vuong mentioned.

Same folder structure, from gdrive sync to vps. Alternative to copy:
    Use

‘rclone sync’ command. Next.

From vps move to Koofr.

Delete from gdrive once files’ sanity check is done.

Option 3:
    Download the “Sync” folder from gDrive to local machine. GDrive will make a .zip and sent to you upto 10 GB no problem faced by me.

Unzip the folder into local machine, sync locally with Koofr app.

Or upload the zip to Koofr

Sky is the limit !!

Best wishes

Thank you very much for the in-depth reply, mate! All of these approaches seem like valid options that would be easy enough to execute. Unfortunately, I can't have it this simple. Since I plan to continue using Google Docs/Slides for University, I would very much like to retain my folder structure (otherwise it would be a complete mess) and just move all the files that are not gdocs/slides away to Koofr where I will maintain said folder structure (minus the google docs/slides which remain on GDrive), too. Hence I am looking for an option to do just that.

Thanked by (1)mikho
  • vyasvyas OG
    edited February 2022

**just move all the files that are not gdocs/slides away to Koofr ** where I will maintain said folder structure too

That's the reason I mentioned creating a "Super folder" that will replicate the gDrive structure on Koofr. You can always call that folder "Migrated-from-GDrive-Feb2022" or some other idiot proof name.

Option 1 becomes your best bet in that case.

In gDrive, moving /docs and slides to /slides is optional and a protection measure IMO, but can be skipped.

Check PM sent screenshots

Edit @bikegremlin
    The Desktop and mobile apps like for gDrive: https://www.google.com/intl/en/drive/download/

Thanked by (1)Ympker
  • bikegremlinbikegremlin ModeratorOGContent Writer

There used to be a Windows "app" that synced Gdrive to a local directory.
    I used to use it. It used to work.
    Haven't tried for years, so can't confirm. Not sure if it's still available.

Thanked by (1)Ympker

Relja of House Novović, the First of His Name, King of the Plains, the Breaker of Chains, WirMach Wolves pack member
    BikeGremlin's web-hosting reviews

@vyas said:

**just move all the files that are not gdocs/slides away to Koofr ** where I will maintain said folder structure too

That's the reason I mentioned creating a "Super folder" that will replicate the gDrive structure on Koofr. You can always call that folder "Migrated-from-GDrive-Feb2022" or some other idiot proof name.

In gDrive, moving /docs and slides to /slides is optional and a protection measure IMO, but can be skipped.

Edit @bikegremlin
    The Desktop and mobile apps like for gDrive: https://www.google.com/intl/en/drive/download/

Saw your PM, thanks!
    Sent you a reply :)

• vyasvyas OG
    edited February 2022

on that note:
    @koofr any obvious (or smarter) method we have missed ? Please add if we have. Cheers

Edit: Other than
    1. https://koofr.eu/help/connect-other-cloud-services/how-can-i-connect-google-drive-to-koofr/
    2. https://koofr.eu/blog/posts/learning-the-basics-of-koofr-with-rclone

The Subreddit is a good resource!!

Thanked by (1)Ympker
  • bikegremlinbikegremlin ModeratorOGContent Writer

@Ympker said:

@vyas said:

Edit @bikegremlin

Saw your PM, thanks!
    Sent you a reply :)

Yup - that app looks like it.

Thanked by (1)Ympker

Relja of House Novović, the First of His Name, King of the Plains, the Breaker of Chains, WirMach Wolves pack member
    BikeGremlin's web-hosting reviews