Simple open source app hosting

Comments

• @m4nu you might want to look at this competitor of yours: https://elest.io/
    I do have to say they have a better pitch on their website, and it may be better to adjust yours as well.

• m4num4nu Hosting Provider

@stevewatson301 said:
    @m4nu you might want to look at this competitor of yours: https://elest.io/
    I do have to say they have a better pitch on their website, and it may be better to adjust yours as well.

Thanks for sharing. I think it's pretty different from PikaPod's value proposition in that I target end users who want to replace personal services, like Google Photos, Dropbox, bookmarks, document management, etc. These guys target businesses who are looking to off load sysadmin work. They also deal at the VM level, while I'm at the container level to achieve more scale.

So I think this offering is more similar to our parent company, Peakford, which also offers managed servers and such to businesses, but not in a standardized way yet. Still an interesting concept. Maybe for the next project. 😄

Simple and secure Borg Backup hosting from $2/month: BorgBase.com

• @stevewatson301 said:
    competitor of yours

Closer competior might be https://vpsz.io/

UpCloud free $25 through this aff link - Akamai, DigitalOcean and Vultr alternative, multiple location, IPv6.

• I wouldn't worry about competitors yet either to be honest.

Your prices are significantly lower, easier to deploy, price much more transparent.

What's holding me back at the moment is some require me to SSH into them to finish setting them up. Which is fine but that extra step stops me from doing it easily on a mobile and then I always forget when I'm at a PC.

For me, the stuff I want to see is stuff I use at my business, and love the idea of this service. So I'm a fan for sure, even if my demographic is off a bit

@KermEd said:
    What's holding me back at the moment is some require me to SSH into them to finish setting them up. Which is fine but that extra step stops me from doing it easily on a mobile and then I always forget when I'm at a PC.

Didn’t consider the case of deploying apps “on the go” until now. Will review responsive setup again to make sure it’s all smooth. Console setup is only needed for very few apps. Will look into automating this more with default values.

For me, the stuff I want to see is stuff I use at my business, and love the idea of this service. So I'm a fan for sure, even if my demographic is off a bit

Which apps are missing? Will soon do another sprint to add the next dozen.

Thanked by (1)Ironia

• KermEdKermEd OG
    edited March 2022

@m4nu said:

@KermEd said:

Didn’t consider the case of deploying apps “on the go” until now. Will review responsive setup again to make sure it’s all smooth. Console setup is only needed for very few apps. Will look into automating this more with default values.

Which apps are missing? Will soon do another sprint to add the next dozen.

It’s getting close to perfect for me.

I love these:

• PrivateBin is great - thank you for adding it
    • Code - is a pain to install on my personal servers for me for some reason, so going through you is a whole lot easier for me, it just needs something easier than that ssh login to get the admin code

Nice to haves:

• Cal - or any calendar alternative would be nice
    • PenPot - for UX designs, very handy to cut Adobe XD out of a persons life
    • Heroic labs Nakama - it’s a back-end-as-a-service for mobile apps and games, like playfab but free

Price wise, by letting me install those 5, I could dissolve or repurpose one of my 35/m dedicated servers. If that helps from my perspective price wise…

edited March 2022

@KermEd said:
    Nice to haves:

• Cal - or any calendar alternative would be nice
    • PenPot - for UX designs, very handy to cut Adobe XD out of a persons life
    • Heroic labs Nakama - it’s a back-end-as-a-service for mobile apps and games, like playfab but free

Those look all fine. Added them to the feedback tracker: https://feedback.pikapods.com/

something easier than that ssh login to get the admin code

Such things often depend on the upstream image and I'm trying to have a solid default workflow for now. Then add more exotic setup processes.

• I think i found a bug on your website

@pxnji said: I think i found a bug on your website

Thanks for sharing! Looks like some of the text was too long, preventing a proper line break, which caused the logo to cause a responsive issue.

This is now fixed.

Thanked by (2)pxnji Dazzle

• Another thing that might be you need to fix from my suggestion
    1. It's weird to see there is an image from Umami apps that the image is in below the description but the other is above.

1. The description/text is cropped for the smaller screen on these 2 section

Thanked by (1)m4nu

@pxnji said:
    Another thing that might be you need to fix from my suggestion

Will see what can be done. Usually I just let the CSS framework deal with this and just set high level stuff like col widths at different screen sizes.

Thanked by (1)pxnji

• pxnjipxnji OG
    edited March 2022

Hello, i just check my websites that hosted in pikapods and all of them got error SSL handshake failed. They are using cloudflare dns and the proxied is turn on. Is that the reason of that? if i turn off the proxied the error is ERR_SSL_PROTOCOL_ERROR
    Any insight?

Edit: I turns out that all of my pods custom domain settings become turn off and back to the pikapods subdomain. I dont do anything.

@pxnji said: Edit: I turns out that all of my pods custom domain settings become turn off and back to the pikapods subdomain. I dont do anything.

If you use Cloudflare, please disable the proxy feature. Else we can't check the CNAME record is still valid and will disable it automatically. This is because too many orphaned domains can cause rate limiting issue with the CA.

There should be an email notification for this, but that's not implemented yet.

So just disable the proxy feature and add back your custom domain. Then it will work again.

@pxnji said:
    Edit: I turns out that all of my pods custom domain settings become turn off and back to the pikapods subdomain. I dont do anything.

Just implemented a notification for cases where the CNAME isn't pointed to your Pod domain any more or the CAA prevents certificates from being issues. Without this, the SSL proxy will keep trying to get a certificate and eventually hit a rate limit, if it happens with too many pods.

Thanked by (1)AaronSS

@Ironia said: I added 5 cards before I decided I was too lazy to go beyond the first table of test cards, but that already feels overkill. How do you plan to charge people, would it make sense to assign a priority value to each card?

This feature to select a primary card is now added.

I have also limited risky (= run custom code) apps to users with a payment method added. Hopefully this helps to keep such apps available, while keeping crypto miners out.

Thanked by (1)Ironia

• pxnjipxnji OG
    edited March 2022

@m4nu said:

@pxnji said: Edit: I turns out that all of my pods custom domain settings become turn off and back to the pikapods subdomain. I dont do anything.

If you use Cloudflare, please disable the proxy feature. Else we can't check the CNAME record is still valid and will disable it automatically. This is because too many orphaned domains can cause rate limiting issue with the CA.

There should be an email notification for this, but that's not implemented yet.

So just disable the proxy feature and add back your custom domain. Then it will work again.

I already turn off the proxy then im still getting this error when adding the custom domain Could not verify CNAME. Please add your CNAME record first.
    I wait more than a hour to adding it again but it still the same.

This happens only for one pods for other is okay.

@pxnji said:
    I already turn off the proxy then im still getting this error when adding the custom domain Could not verify CNAME. Please add your CNAME record first.

Seems to resolve as of now. I could probably improve my DNS implementation by bypassing the recursive resolver. That would make it faster. Currently it's cached locally until the result expires.

Thanked by (2)AaronSS pxnji

• @m4nu said:

@pxnji said:

Seems to resolve as of now. I could probably improve my DNS implementation by bypassing the recursive resolver. That would make it faster. Currently it's cached locally until the result expires.

Yeah just trying to submit custom domain again and its done. Thank you for your help!

Thanked by (1)m4nu
  • @m4nu does the containers have ipv6 connectivity? Uptimekuma can't monitor ipv6only node.

@cadddr said:
    @m4nu does the containers have ipv6 connectivity? Uptimekuma can't monitor ipv6only node.

Yes, they have. Been testing with ipv6.google.com from the start. Maybe it got lost on the way, so will reconfirm it's still there.

• @m4nu I also get CAA errors when adding custom domain: IN CAA: Server 127.0.0.53 UDP port 53 answered SERVFAIL

@cadddr said:
    @m4nu I also get CAA errors when adding custom domain: IN CAA: Server 127.0.0.53 UDP port 53 answered SERVFAIL

Is this for the apex/root domain ***.xyz? I don't think this works yet since the standard doesn't allow adding a CNAME for the apex.

• @m4nu said: Is this for the apex/root domain ***.xyz?

It was for status.***.xyz .

• i love the GUI =)
    no paypal payment method?

benchmark score of the vps I've ever had

edited April 2022

@cadddr said: It was for status.***.xyz .

Not resolving as of now. In detail, we check if dig cname is mapped to the pod domain and dig caa is empty or includes sectigo.com

$ dig status.la***.xyz +short
    $

@umzak said: no paypal payment method?

Not a big PayPal fan. Will try without at first. Maybe add it a bit later, if it's really popular. Was planning for a post-paid system, but pre-paid is also very popular according to the survey. So will be a mix with optional auto-reload.

• edited April 2022

@m4nu said: Not resolving as of now. In detail, we check if dig cname is mapped to the pod domain and dig caa is empty or includes sectigo.com

I changed it to a different domain, had same error: status.20****.xyz, dig caa has status noerror and cname looks to be correct for me.

• Sorry if this has been brought up -- any plans to integrate backup? Perhaps with borg? :D

@caracal said:
    Sorry if this has been brought up -- any plans to integrate backup? Perhaps with borg? :D

First thing I did. 😄 For now backups are at the server-level, but we're looking to add this as add-on and make on-demand snapshots and restores available at the pod level. More here.

Thanked by (2)Ironia caracal

• I'm back with a couple micro thoughts:

Can the 2FA field be set to a number field so on screen keyboards will load up in number pad mode?

If post paid, are transaction fees large enough to make users with a single pod inefficient to invoice? Would it only invoice on months with a cumulative bill of at least $3 or something?

• What kind of container isolation do you provide, if any? Do you have (let's say) 100 customer docker containers running on a KVM VPS, or is it more segmented like 1 customer to a VPS or container or something?