What count as Number of Processes on cPanel account ?

yokowasisyokowasis Services Provider
edited March 2022 in General

My hosting limit number of processes to 100. My Question is what count as process.

Because I am running code-server, and ps aux only show about 5 process. Meanwhile in the cpanel it shows 70. And that's only after I disable git functionality of vscode.

Thanked by (1)risharde

Comments

• Did you ask the hosting provider? What did they say?

Take a look at CloudLinux's official documentation about what these LVE Resource Limits mean.
    https://docs.cloudlinux.com/limits/#number-of-processes

• The screenshot isn't representing what you are saying... I would have naively assumed that 1 process is when for example a single person visits the site and executes php once but that is too simple an answer for all set ups so I am curious to hear what an experienced provider can explain it as.

Thanked by (1)kkrajk

RCLOUDSYSTEMS - EmailBackup and EmailSync are powerful email management and migration utilities for an unbeatable price!

• yokowasisyokowasis Services Provider

@risharde said:
    The screenshot isn't representing what you are saying... I would have naively assumed that 1 process is when for example a single person visits the site and executes php once but that is too simple an answer for all set ups so I am curious to hear what an experienced provider can explain it as.

Actually that's entry processes. It means at 1 time, only 20 person can hit at the very same time.

MS said:
    Did you ask the hosting provider? What did they say?

Take a look at CloudLinux's official documentation about what these LVE Resource Limits mean.

even the docs is very ambiguous.

it says

number of processes and threads within LVE

Hence why I asked the question, what is count as "process" and how can I see it from terminal. Because my terminal (ps aux and top) only shows about 10 process.

Thanked by (1)risharde
  • @yokowasis said:

@risharde said:
    The screenshot isn't representing what you are saying... I would have naively assumed that 1 process is when for example a single person visits the site and executes php once but that is too simple an answer for all set ups so I am curious to hear what an experienced provider can explain it as.

Actually that's entry processes. It means at 1 time, only 20 person can hit at the very same time.

MS said:

it says

Hence why I asked the question, what is count as "process" and how can I see it from terminal. Because my terminal (ps aux and top) only shows about 10 process.

Yes sorry, wasn't criticizing what you were saying, only meant the screenshot wasn't showing the numbers you were saying. I agree, what you quoted is confusing and it's a great question that insight is needed for

RCLOUDSYSTEMS - EmailBackup and EmailSync are powerful email management and migration utilities for an unbeatable price!

@risharde said:

@yokowasis said:

@risharde said:

MS said:

it says

Yes sorry, wasn't criticizing what you were saying, only meant the screenshot wasn't showing the numbers you were saying. I agree, what you quoted is confusing and it's a great question that insight is needed for

No need for sorry. It's fine. The naming is a bit confusing, you are not the only one confused one for another

• Hence why I asked the question, what is count as "process" and how can I see it from terminal. Because my terminal (ps aux and top) only shows about 10 process.

Based on what the docs say number of processes stands for nproc so "nproc" command should show the number of existing processes for you.

@yokowasis said:

@risharde said:

@yokowasis said:

@risharde said:

MS said:

it says

No need for sorry. It's fine. The naming is a bit confusing, you are not the only one confused one for another

the support replied, even they mistaken the Number of Process to Entry Process 😂

@Monke said:

Based on what the docs say number of processes stands for nproc so "nproc" command should show the number of existing processes for you.

Doesn't nproc refer to Number Of Processor ?
    https://man7.org/linux/man-pages/man1/nproc.1.html

• @yokowasis said:

@Monke said:

This is what cloudlinux docs say about it:

Number of processes
    NPROC controls the total number of processes and threads within LVE. Once the limit is reached, no new process can be created (until another one dies). When that happens NPROC counter is incremented. Apache might return 500 or 503 errors in such case.

Thanked by (1)Aidan

@Monke said:

@yokowasis said:

@Monke said:

This is what cloudlinux docs say about it:

Number of processes
    NPROC controls the total number of processes and threads within LVE. Once the limit is reached, no new process can be created (until another one dies). When that happens NPROC counter is incremented. Apache might return 500 or 503 errors in such case.

yes. but it has nothing to do with nproc command. nproc does a totally different thing.

• edited March 5

Hello, I know this is an old topic but the issue still happens with VSCode.

CloudLinux counts threads and not just processes. Each process can have multiple threads and in terms of resource usage a thread is equivalent to a process.

You can either use pstree to view the threads or use ps with -L to show the threads:

For example:
    ps -eLf

The issue here in our opinion is not the way CloudLinux manages processes but the way VSCode server works. It keeps unused processes open and each process has multiple threads.

If a webhost allows lots of processes (200+) then VSCode shouldn’t cause issues but by allowing a huge number of processes a webhost takes a risk of allowing one customer to cause performance issues for other customers.

It’s a shame that VSCode doesn’t have a lower performance mode that reduces the number of processes that are kept running.