Vimeo is telling creators to suddenly pay thousands of dollars — or leave the platform

"Screenshots posted by Channel 5 show their price for a new custom plan starting at $7,000 a year, and that an upgrade or migration off of Vimeo was required.

Vimeo bandwidth usage is calculated using factors like video plays, resolution, loading the player and thumbnail image, downloading, and livestreaming, according to the company’s website. Overage charges aren’t imposed unless an account reaches “unusually high levels,” or is in the 99 percentile of users. Vimeo places that threshold at around 2 to 3 TB per month. In communication with affected creators, Vimeo isn’t shy about its policy to charge top creators more."

What a joke. 2-3TB?! 😆 It would be cheaper for them just to pickup a deal here.

https://www.theverge.com/2022/3/15/22979126/vimeo-patreon-creators-price-increase

Thanked by (2)bikegremlin FrankZ

Comments

• bikegremlinbikegremlin ModeratorOGContent Writer

How can one not simply adore capitalism? :)

Relja of House Novović, the First of His Name, King of the Plains, the Breaker of Chains, WirMach Wolves pack member
    BikeGremlin's web-hosting reviews

• yokowasisyokowasis Services Provider

@niknar1900 said:

Do you know a way to make a video only able to be embedded for certain domain ?

• Demanding a hefty payment is fine.
    What irks me is when they wonder why they failed later.

But I am more surprised by a fact that they are still there. I thought it died off.

Thanked by (1)bikegremlin

♻ Amitz day is October 21.
    ♻ Join Nigh sect by adopting my avatar. Let us spread the joys of the end.

• “Our goal will always be to provide the best video solution possible and work with our users so they can continue to reach their audiences in high quality,” Anchin says. The company noted that over 70 percent of users flagged for excessive bandwidth choose to either upgrade to a custom plan or lower their bandwidth usage.

So the takeaway is:
    1. 30% of users stopped using Vimeo upon being billed.
    2. An unknown percentage of Vimeo users switched platforms.
    3. An unknown percentage of Vimeo users paid.

@BarryHercules said: Pay or leave - does Biloh also own Vimeo?

Well...

... in February, Sud spells the shift out in black and white: “Today we are a technology platform, not a viewing destination. We are a B2B solution, not the indie version of YouTube.”``

• Are these people really using TBs of bandwidth with <1k views? Something feels off here.

• edited March 2022

@niknar1900 said:

Do you know a way to make a video only able to be embedded for certain domain ?

Hotlinking protection?
    For Nginx: https://ubiq.co/tech-blog/prevent-image-hotlinking-nginx/
    Just substitute for mp4 or webm or whatever.

• @caracal said:
    Are these people really using TBs of bandwidth with <1k views? Something feels off here.

If the videos were high quality (at least 2GB) then I could imagine hitting those numbers but even then it's ridiculous.

@caracal said:
    Are these people really using TBs of bandwidth with <1k views? Something feels off here.

Many people today think their filming wonders must be shown in 4K resolution.
    No reasonable explanation I can think of, but there you have it.

Relja of House Novović, the First of His Name, King of the Plains, the Breaker of Chains, WirMach Wolves pack member

• Vimeo is dying platform. Once it was a solid choice vs youtube, but now it is missmanaged mess.

• its amazing how much people bitch about watching adds on youtube or paying for premium subscription when the alternatives are so expensive xD. tbh if there is one platform that deserves a monopoly on anything its youtube for the insane amount of free value its provided creators(assuming no major changes)

Thanked by (1)pikachu

Recommended hosts:
    Letbox, Data ideas, Hetzner

• Speaking of alternatives, what else is there?

• @deank said:
    Speaking of alternatives, what else is there?

Pushup networks, mainly @yoursunny

Thanked by (2)yoursunny FrankZ
  • @BarryHercules said:
    Pay or leave - does Biloh also own Vimeo?

that what I know to know lol

@deank said:

Odysee (my channel)

Allegedly free, open-source, censorship-free yada-yada-yada.
    My guess is: if it ever gains popularity, things will change drastically, very rapidly.

Thanked by (1)lentro

• @deank said:

One could probably use Youtube still just make the video private and post it on their Patreon page or whatever. But honestly, it's so easy just to get a VPS and host your own. HTML5 supports video (MP4, WebM).

Thanked by (1)FrankZ

@niknar1900 said:

@deank said:

One could probably use Youtube still just make the video private and post it on their Patreon page or whatever. But honestly, it's so easy just to get a VPS and host your own. HTML5 supports video (MP4, WebM).

For private YouTube videos, you have to manually add emails for every person authorized to view them.

For unlisted YouTube videos, anyone can share a link and see them, even though the videos aren't listed (aren't visible) on the channel. If anyone adds such a video to a public playlist, the video will also appear in the search results.

Thanked by (1)niknar1900

• m4num4nu Hosting Provider

There could be demand for a service built on top a CDN that converts video files into different formats and provides snippets for embedding. Like Netlify does for static websites.

Simple and secure Borg Backup hosting from $2/month: BorgBase.com

• Linus, before his meltdown and subsequent "I am gonna retire" video, he talked about Floatplane a lot.

Has it ever taken off?

• AdvinAdvin Hosting Provider

@deank said:
    Linus, before his meltdown and subsequent "I am gonna retire" video, he talked about Floatplane a lot.

Has it ever taken off?

Floatplane is basically just a Patreon for YouTube/Twitch creators

I am a representative of Advin Servers

• FrankZFrankZ Moderator
    edited March 2022

@niknar1900 said: it's so easy just to get a VPS and host your own. HTML5 supports video (MP4, WebM).

For B2B or "private" videos this makes the most sense to me.

I am currently traveling in mostly remote areas until sometime in April 2024. Consequently DM's sent to me will go unanswered during this time.
    For staff assistance or support issues please use the helpdesk ticket system at https://support.lowendspirit.com/index.php?a=add

• MichaelCeeMichaelCee OGServices Provider

Had no idea Vimeo was used for the context shown in that article, very interesting.

• vyasvyas OG
    edited March 2022

Gumlet

Bunnycdn

Cloudflare

Wistia

Publit.io

Hippovideo

There are Options aplenty in SaaS space. Free/freemium/ paid; oss and propereitory the above I have used.

Below is longer list

Read at own voilition

https://www.saasworthy.com/list/video-hosting-software

Thanked by (2)niknar1900 flips
  • lentrolentro Hosting Provider

Yeah, their stock is down 80%. They still lose money.

Cut costs (fire/layoff) or increase revenue (charge users exorbitant fees).

Which one would you do?

They are probably doing both.