Storage in the $1-2/TB/mo range

2»

Comments

• hosthatchhosthatch Hosting Provider

@cybertech said: im concerned with HH situation now

Please don't be. To add some context here, we run nearly 5PB raw storage and the failure in Chicago affected about ~50 customers.

I read a comment somewhere saying "if HostHatch properly properly set up their RAID, this would never happen".

I'm sorry but this just isn't true. You should be more afraid of a provider who has not dealt with these situations than one who has.

Thanked by (4)bdl fluttershy Mei tarasis
  • cybertechcybertech OGBenchmark King
    edited April 2022

@hosthatch said:

@cybertech said: im concerned with HH situation now

Please don't be. To add some context here, we run nearly 5PB raw storage and the failure in Chicago affected about ~50 customers.

I read a comment somewhere saying "if HostHatch properly properly set up their RAID, this would never happen".

I'm sorry but this just isn't true. You should be more afraid of a provider who has not dealt with these situations than one who has.

good to know this, and i can see the new panel is getting new updates (e.g. service expiry date) but hopefully month+ tickets with storage vps challenges can be resolved in a reasonable timeframe and that future storage deals can be better represented (e.g. 1TB, 930Gb usable)

Thanked by (1)hosthatch

I bench YABS 24/7/365 unless it's a leap year.

• vyasvyas OG
    edited April 2022

@Daniel said:

@Erisa said:

@Daniel said:

@willie said: Whaat? Got any more of that?

Hosthatch actually had $0.9/TB/month during one of their sales :tongue:

I've got one of the $1/TB/month boxes (10TB for $240 / 2 years) and it's pretty decent.

@vyas said:

@Falzo said:
    subscribed.

I believe the "in" thing on FB is to simply type "f" --> for follow. Instead of taking the effort to type "subscribed" or "following".
    Of course with the three character minimum in Vanilla you may have to get creative.

The thing that confuses me is that Facebook actually has a "turn on notifications for this post" option that lets you get notifications whenever a new comment is posted. You don't have to comment anything!

You think the average Facebook user is smart effort to know this? Haha

~3 billion people use Facebook per month so "the average Facebook user" is pretty broad 😛

Read it as “the average Facebook user” is a pretty broad.

Oh well

Thanked by (1)Logano
  • @hosthatch said: Please don't be. To add some context here, we run nearly 5PB raw storage and the failure in Chicago affected about ~50 customers.

I also am glad to hear this. You're my primary data location for my mother's Plex service. Man, that'd get ugly.

Thanked by (1)tetech
  • Raid doesn't really help. The problem with Raid is that, when it fails, it fails spectacularly.

Even if one gets lucky, good luck with years of rebuilding time.

Thanked by (1)bdl

♻ Amitz day is October 21.
    ♻ Join Nigh sect by adopting my avatar. Let us spread the joys of the end.

• Ahh still missing the HH 10tb deal, any chance for bringing those back in the future? :p @hosthatch

• @hosthatch said: To add some context here, we run nearly 5PB raw storage

Wow that's a lot of storage. Any recommendations on which hard drives to not buy, if you've had a lot of issues with one particular brand or model?

@cybertech said: (e.g. 1TB, 930Gb usable)

The interesting thing about this is that in November 2021 @hosthatch implied that such a thing wouldn't happen 🤔

@hosthatch said: There would be world-ending events happening if we sold a 16 TB VPS that came with 14.5 TB usable storage.

• cybertechcybertech OGBenchmark King

@Daniel said:

@hosthatch said: To add some context here, we run nearly 5PB raw storage

Wow that's a lot of storage. Any recommendations on which hard drives to not buy, if you've had a lot of issues with one particular brand or model?

@cybertech said: (e.g. 1TB, 930Gb usable)

The interesting thing about this is that in November 2021 @hosthatch implied that such a thing wouldn't happen 🤔

@hosthatch said: There would be world-ending events happening if we sold a 16 TB VPS that came with 14.5 TB usable storage.

the explanation is something about GB instead of GiB.

I bench YABS 24/7/365 unless it's a leap year.

• @Daniel said:

Maybe the world is just ending then, seems like the best explanation.