Any affordable storage VPS with 4TB of storage?

I just calculated that I spend 165e/mo in personal subscriptions, and I am in the need to cut costs. I can go back to self hosting more stuff, so I am looking for a storage VPS with at least 4TB so I can use it for Plex among other things. Does anyone have any suggestions for such a VPS? At the moment for Plex I have a dedi from Hetzner's auctions that costs 36/mo. Any chances to find something cheaper than that?

Thanks in advance

Comments

  • I personally use letbox for my storage /media server. Definitely cheaper than a dedi and some drive failure tolerance.

  • Servarica Penguin Storage Offer 2021 - $13/mo
    BuyVM Slice + Slab
    NexusBytes (Although they've been MIA)

    Thanked by (1)dedicados
  • edited July 4

    Hi @vitobotta I know you are a huge @Hetzner_OL fan. Why not a storage box? :) Just € 9.90/month for 5TB.

    Thanked by (1)o_be_one
  • @AaronSS said:
    Hi @vitobotta I know you are a huge @Hetzner_OL fan. Why not a storage box? :) Just € 9.90/month for 5TB.

    That's what I was using before :) But performance with Plex was not the best although it worked okaish

    Thanked by (1)ialexpw
  • I ordered a Kimsufi dedi btw to see how it performs. It's just 25e/mo with 6TB

  • I think you should try it again 😉

  • bikegremlinbikegremlin ModeratorOG

    @vitobotta said:

    @AaronSS said:
    Hi @vitobotta I know you are a huge @Hetzner_OL fan. Why not a storage box? :) Just € 9.90/month for 5TB.

    That's what I was using before :) But performance with Plex was not the best although it worked okaish

    I guess so. As always:

    • Fast
    • Reliable
    • Cheap

    You can pick only two.

    Thanked by (1)chris

    BikeGremlin I/O
    Mostly WordPress ™

  • NAS build?

  • vyasvyas OGContent Writer

    No love for
    The Yun’s ??

    Nit that I would use them ;-)

    VPS reviews | | MicroLXC | English is my nth language.

  • edited July 9

    The Kimsufi KS-1 is about €5 + tax a month. Officially comes with 2TB, but often has 4TB now. The CPU is very slow though and bandwidth is limited to 100Mbps.

    EDIT: ignore this!

  • @ralf said: but often has 4TB now.

    whaaaaa?

  • @ralf said:
    The Kimsufi KS-1 is about €5 + tax a month. Officially comes with 2TB 1TB, but often has 4TB 2TB now. The CPU is very slow though and bandwidth is limited to 100Mbps.

  • Oh oops. Yeah. Brain fart!

  • AdvinAdvin Hosting Provider

    @vitobotta said:

    @AaronSS said:
    Hi @vitobotta I know you are a huge @Hetzner_OL fan. Why not a storage box? :) Just € 9.90/month for 5TB.

    That's what I was using before :) But performance with Plex was not the best although it worked okaish

    Use it with Hetzner Cloud. If you try connecting the storage box to a non-Hetzner server then performance will be bad.

    Even just proxying the storage via Cloud will do the trick.

    Thanked by (1)hornet
  • @Advin , would you mind providing a bit more detail on this?

  • AdvinAdvin Hosting Provider
    edited July 14

    @hornet said:
    @Advin , would you mind providing a bit more detail on this?

    Basically, I've noticed some very poor throughput issues when connecting from outside of Hetzner's network to a Hetzner SB. However, my throughput from outside of Hetzner's network to a Hetzner Cloud server was fine. My throughput from Hetzner Cloud Falkenstein to Hetzner SB Falkenstein was great, I was basically maxing out 1 Gbps to it.

    So, I ended up deciding to essentially mount the Hetzner SB onto my Hetzner Cloud instance via CIFS and then I setup my own SMB/NFS/etc mounts, essentially proxying through Hetzner Cloud. That ended up working really well and I was achieving great speeds :)

    It's important to note that Hetzner Cloud only has 20TB outbound (unlimited inbound, free internal bw)

    Thanked by (1)hornet
  • @Advin said:
    My throughput from Hetzner Cloud Falkenstein to Hetzner SB Falkenstein was great, I was basically maxing out 1 Gbps to it.

    This sounds like exactly what I would like to do. If I am in the USA, would it make sense to get the (relatively newly added) USA (Ashburn, VA) Cloud location?

  • @hornet said:

    @Advin said:
    My throughput from Hetzner Cloud Falkenstein to Hetzner SB Falkenstein was great, I was basically maxing out 1 Gbps to it.

    This sounds like exactly what I would like to do. If I am in the USA, would it make sense to get the (relatively newly added) USA (Ashburn, VA) Cloud location?

    They don't offer storage boxes there (unless something changed), so no, it makes no sense if the storage box is in DE/FI.

    Thanked by (1)hornet
  • I thought the proxy/cloud closest to my location might be smart ...I assume their unlimited "internal" traffice means on any Hetzner location -as opposed to same datacenter?

    Looking at the cloud package: ( hetzner.com/cloud ) CPX11 ...2 vCPU (AMD) & 2GB RAM ...is that good enought for 1080p plex work? I only run plex locally, so my experience is limited.

    I also want what, I believe, vitobotta is trying to accomplish (Hetzner Cloud CPX11 @€4.75+ 5TB Hetzner Storage Block BX21 @€11.78)

  • @hornet said:
    I thought the proxy/cloud closest to my location might be smart ...I assume their unlimited "internal" traffice means on any Hetzner location -as opposed to same datacenter?

    Looking at the cloud package: ( hetzner.com/cloud ) CPX11 ...2 vCPU (AMD) & 2GB RAM ...is that good enought for 1080p plex work? I only run plex locally, so my experience is limited.

    I also want what, I believe, vitobotta is trying to accomplish (Hetzner Cloud CPX11 @€4.75+ 5TB Hetzner Storage Block BX21 @€11.78)

    Typically internal means within a DC, not sure about Hetzner. But that's beside the point. Essentially the storage box is fairly low resource (CPU and/or external network) and that is the bottleneck. Putting a cloud server in front of it means you can offload those things and use a (presumably fast) internal connection to the storage box. As soon as the storage box is in a different location, i.e. not on the fast LAN but on a trans-Atlantic link, that will most likely become the bottleneck or at least the benefit of the cloud server is greatly diminished.

    Thanked by (1)hornet
  • AdvinAdvin Hosting Provider

    @hornet said:

    @Advin said:
    My throughput from Hetzner Cloud Falkenstein to Hetzner SB Falkenstein was great, I was basically maxing out 1 Gbps to it.

    This sounds like exactly what I would like to do. If I am in the USA, would it make sense to get the (relatively newly added) USA (Ashburn, VA) Cloud location?

    What @tetech is saying is correct, get a cloud server in the same location. I've also experienced some very poor throughput from Ashburn Hetzner Cloud to Hetzner SB :(

    Thanked by (1)hornet
Sign In or Register to comment.