Any way to make money with excess storage? (Alternatives to StorJ?)

AdvinAdvin Hosting Provider
edited September 2022 in General

I recently purchased a Hetzner 4x10TB HDD (RAID0) dedicated server for some of my personal projects that require a lot of storage. However, I'm currently only utilizing 30TB (at most) for these various personal projects/websites/etc that I'm running. With the remaining 10TB, I wonder if there's anything I can do to make some money with the storage.

I've thought about StorJ, and it seems like a decent option, but I'm wondering if there's anything else that I could maybe run with the excess 10TB I have. From what others have told me, StorJ takes a long time to fill up. I know Chia exists, but it destroys SSD's and the network got so big to the point where it doesn't make any money anymore.

I am a representative of Advin Servers

Comments

• I'd say stop using raid 0 and save yourself a headache at a later date? Any profit you could potentially get would be negligable in my opinion for the hassle.

Thanked by (2)nessa ralf

Recommended hosts:
    Letbox, Data ideas, Hetzner

• NeoonNeoon OG
    edited September 2022

if you commit for at least 1 year yes.
    Plus, the storage does fill slowly, the sweet spot is around 2TB, at least for me.

Don't expect any returns in the first 3-6 months.
    ETH gas fees are to high and the payouts are low if you start.

Lets say you get 1$ for the first month, which is likely.
    They keep 75% of it, because you could run away, you get it paid out after 12 months.

so 0.25$, ETH gas fees eh 10$? go figure

• AdvinAdvin Hosting Provider

@james50a said:
    I'd say stop using raid 0 and save yourself a headache at a later date? Any profit you could potentially get would be negligable in my opinion for the hassle.

The reason why I'm doing RAID0 is for the speed, not necessarily for having all of the space available to me. All of the data & configurations are backed up to Google + none of the personal projects/websites/etc I'm running are particularly essential.

@Neoon said:
    if you commit for at least 1 year yes.
    Plus, the storage does fill slowly, the sweet spot is around 2TB, at least for me.

Don't expect any returns in the first 3-6 months.
    ETH gas fees are to high and the payouts are low if you start.

Lets say you get 1$ for the first month, which is likely.
    They keep 75% of it, because you could run away, you get it paid out after 12 months.

so 0.25$, ETH gas fees eh 10$? go figure

Hmm yeah, doesn't sound that great if I don't commit :(

• Sell SFTP accounts like netdynamics24 does

Thanked by (1)ehab
  • Yes. Deploy undeployed order

UpCloud free $25 through this aff link - Akamai, DigitalOcean and Vultr alternative, multiple location, IPv6.

• havochavoc OGContent Writer

@corbpie said:
    Sell SFTP accounts like netdynamics24 does

And pray the FBI doesn't kick in your door

• @havoc said:

@corbpie said:

Advin is already a provider, why would SFTP attract the FBI and not a VPS, shared hosting or dedi??

• No, get rid of it and make money by saving money.

Thanked by (1)ehab
  • AdvinAdvin Hosting Provider

@havoc said:

@corbpie said:

@corbpie said:

@havoc said:

@corbpie said:

Advin is already a provider, why would SFTP attract the FBI and not a VPS, shared hosting or dedi??

Yes, if you run a decently sized hosting business that does some form of VPS or dedicated servers, there's probably a decent chance that you've been contacted by some law enforcement agency from some country at some point.

@corbpie said:

I might consider it, but this box is more for personal projects and I frequently max out the disk IO so I don't think it would be a very good experience for whoever pays me money for it.

• @vish said:
    No, get rid of it and make money by saving money.

Fair point but even here there's a Catch22 as they says. Firstly there must be suitable option(s) to doing so and second the money must be able to be repurposed.