LES exclusive is private

Hello,

Just wondering whether having LES exclusive section as private is more helpful or harmful. If we make it public, it will give lurkers more reason to visit LES as well providers more exposure because not everyone visiting forum for Deals "signup" on LES or any similar forum in general.

Comments

• If one doesn't sign up, they are missing out.

Thanked by (3)nick_ Mason ralf

ServerFactory aff best VPS; HostBrr aff best storage.

• If I decided to offer something as an exclusive- it would be to reward the people who contribute (mostly).... screw the non believers members

• They're "Exclusive Deals" - exclusively for LES members.

If it's public, then it's no longer "exclusive" and anyone can just visit and view the deal without being registered and logged on.

For domain registrations, create an account at Dynadot (ref) and spend $9.99 within 48 hours to receive $5 DynaDollars!
    Looking for cost-effective Managed/Anycast/DDoS-Protected/Geo DNS Services? Try ClouDNS (aff).

• skorupionskorupion Services Provider

Ngl the exclusivity (from the hosts perspective) is a bad thing

Crunchbits Technical Support, Technical Writer, and Sales
    Contact me at: +1 (347) 518-1661 or [email protected]

• BlaZeBlaZe Hosting ProviderOG

@skorupion said:

Why? please elaborate.

Thanked by (1)RapToN

ExoticVM.com - Find VPS in exotic locations!

@BlaZe said:

@skorupion said:

Why? please elaborate.

You post something for members only. You then need to take into account all the people that didn't buy that product because they aren't a member

Thanked by (1)BlaZe

• MasonMason AdministratorOG
    edited October 2022

The category is supposed to be mutually beneficial to both providers who post the exclusive offers and to our loyal members. The category allows hosts to post offers that fall outside of the traditional price limits of the community or to post limited/low quantity deals that they only want presented to a small crowd. On the flip side, LES members gain access to these "special" offers just by participating here and being a member, allowing LES to grow a bit in the process.

I'd say most providers don't typically take advantage of the category and stick to the normal "Offers" category. Either way, it's completely optional and provides more upsides than downsides in my opinion.

I did make a change somewhat recently to show the thread titles of recently posted exclusive offers in the sidebar (bottom of the page on mobile). This change allows visitors who are not registered to see that deals are being posted here that require you to be a member, thus driving more sign ups and potential activity from new users. This is a free forum after all with no ads, so we gotta grow somehow to keep things fresh :)

Head Janitor @ LES • AboutRulesSupport

• I bought something I absolutely did not need because it was exclusive - just out of boredom!

Had it been in the normal I'd have skipped past it like most of the offers that all blur into one at times - it does stand out more on occasion!

Thanked by (1)BlaZe
  • @skorupion said:

@BlaZe said:

@skorupion said:

Why? please elaborate.

You post something for members only. You then need to take into account all the people that didn't buy that product because they aren't a member

Most providers are not nearly creative enough- they follow templates and ways of doing business from the same providers they moan about!

This isn't aimed at you btw - I'm just saying that you notice the trend being set and immediately know there will be 100 carbon copy posts arriving in due course! Myself personally, I'm guilty of ignoring most offers and search for keywords when I want something!

Be different to the pack and you'd probably see a lot of engagement :)

• @Mason said:
    The category is supposed to be mutually beneficial to both providers who post the exclusive offers and to our loyal members. The category allows hosts to post offers that fall outside of the traditional price limits of the community or to post limited/low quantity deals that they only want presented to a small crowd. On the flip side, LES members gain access to these "special" offers just by participating here and being a member, allowing LES to grow a bit in the process.

Query: Do I remember that those can be semi- time based as well. You could open a LES exclusive, hold it for two weeks to allow members get it and then ask for it to be moved to Offers? Getting you best of both worlds - people of taste and class ( heh heh ) to get useful feedback and the unwashed masses flooding in later.

@chris said:

@skorupion said:

@BlaZe said:

@skorupion said:

Why? please elaborate.

Most providers are not nearly creative enough- they follow templates and ways of doing business from the same providers they moan about!

This isn't aimed at you btw - I'm just saying that you notice the trend being set and immediately know there will be 100 carbon copy posts arriving in due course! Myself personally, I'm guilty of ignoring most offers and search for keywords when I want something!

Be different to the pack and you'd probably see a lot of engagement :)

Ah yes to be like the purple daddy (you still kinda got a point)

Thanked by (1)chris

@skorous said:

@Mason said:

Query: Do I remember that those can be semi- time based as well. You could open a LES exclusive, hold it for two weeks to allow members get it and then ask for it to be moved to Offers? Getting you best of both worlds - people of taste and class ( heh heh ) to get useful feedback and the unwashed masses flooding in later.

Yes, this was something Ant had done in the past. Basically any offer that still fell within LES pricing rules would be moved to the offers section after the time period, while anything over the limit would be hidden. I haven't really kept up on this at all, but have moved a few exclusive offers to the general offers category upon request (the VirMach thread being the most recent example of this).

Thanked by (1)skorous

• I think the last exclusive deal was $N.95 per month instead of $N.99 per month for otherwise identical specs on LET. I mean, technically it is exclusive, but seems a bit pointless.

Thanked by (1)chris
  • @ralf said:
    I think the last exclusive deal was $N.95 per month instead of $N.99 per month for otherwise identical specs on LET. I mean, technically it is exclusive, but seems a bit pointless.

Yes, most offers absolutely are 💩

@ralf said:
    I think the last exclusive deal was $N.95 per month instead of $N.99 per month for otherwise identical specs on LET. I mean, technically it is exclusive, but seems a bit pointless.

Agreed, that doesn't fall in with the spirit of what that category is for. Feel free to flag threads like that and I'll take care of it. Especially if there's a "LES Exclusive" coupon that gives you literally the same discount as elsewhere just with a different code -- that shit pisses me off.

• @TheDP said:
    They're "Exclusive Deals" - exclusively for LES members.

If it's public, then it's no longer "exclusive" and anyone can just visit and view the deal without being registered and logged on.

Its still exclusive to LES if going by rules as can't be posted elsewhere for next couple of days, then why depriving lurkers, they are some loyal lurkers also, its a real thing.

• TheDPTheDP OG
    edited October 2022

@Saahib said:

@TheDP said:
    They're "Exclusive Deals" - exclusively for LES members.

Its still exclusive to LES if going by rules as can't be posted elsewhere for next couple of days, then why depriving lurkers, they are some loyal lurkers also, its a real thing.

Yeah I know it's a real thing.

But no community wants "loyal lurkers", but would very much appreciate "loyal members", or "loyal registered members" :smiley:

"Lurkers" are not considered as "community members".

Thanked by (2)AlwaysSkint ralf

For domain registrations, create an account at Dynadot (ref) and spend $9.99 within 48 hours to receive $5 DynaDollars!
    Looking for cost-effective Managed/Anycast/DDoS-Protected/Geo DNS Services? Try ClouDNS (aff).

• ok, but every community need loyal lurkers, I was lurker for long time at OGF then here too was lurker too for even longer time before actually joining it. Used to check it out daily so I guess that would count as loyal lurker.

Thanked by (1)ralf
  • @Saahib said:
    ok, but every community need loyal lurkers, I was lurker for long time at OGF then here too was lurker too for even longer time before actually joining it. Used to check it out daily so I guess that would count as loyal lurker.

Support and be part of a community by joining as a member, not by lurking :smiley:

I believe that was the whole point of the LES' Exclusive Deals - deals/specs/price that are not available elsewhere, but is made available solely for the members of the LES community.

• @TheDP said:
    "Lurkers" are not considered as "community members".

"Get off my lawn!"

• edited October 2022

@ralf said: "Get off my lawn!"

"I can see in your garden."
    Ref: A Romanian ex-Provider

It wisnae me! A big boy done it and ran away.
    NVMe2G for life! until death (the end is nigh)