WordPress database optimization

bikegremlinbikegremlin ModeratorOGContent Writer

I've played a bit with the Index WP MySQL For Speed plugin (WP.org link).

Apparently, WordPress does not really shine when it comes to optimizing its DB table searches. This plugin supposedly helps add some keys to make the indexing of the often-used stuff faster.

Looks good for now (tested on staging and one website).

Of course, I wrote an article about WordPress database optimization, with a bit more details and a brief tutorial on how the above-noted plugin is used, in addition to LiteSpeed Cache and Advanced Database Cleaner Pro plugin for cleaning and improving the DP performance.

Relja of House Novović, the First of His Name, King of the Plains, the Breaker of Chains, WirMach Wolves pack member
BikeGremlin's web-hosting reviews

Thanked by (2)Ympker shelfchair

Comments

• looks great, I'm interested seeing anyone trying this method in large wordpress site with woocommerce loaded (seen many wordpress+woocommerce) instance slowed down after having plenty of product entries

Thanked by (1)bikegremlin

Fuck this 24/7 internet spew of trivia and celebrity bullshit.

• @Encoders said:
    looks great, I'm interested seeing anyone trying this method in large wordpress site with woocommerce loaded (seen many wordpress+woocommerce) instance slowed down after having plenty of product entries

I have tried it but didn't see any noticeable difference.

• YmpkerYmpker OGContent Writer

Looking great! Thanks for sharing @bikegremlin :)

• @_abhishek said:

@Encoders said:
    looks great, I'm interested seeing anyone trying this method in large wordpress site with woocommerce loaded (seen many wordpress+woocommerce) instance slowed down after having plenty of product entries

I have tried it but didn't see any noticeable difference.

I only saw differences on very large sites and the gains varied from site to site.

As it basically just changes the indexes/keys and can roll them back to stock there's not really any harm in it. If it were to somehow slow things down you can just roll back to stock.

Everything the plugin does could be done manually but the plugin is convenient.

• edited November 2022

Does your WP blog worth to optimize? It is already in a not bad shape as a wordpress site:

https://gtmetrix.com/reports/io.bikegremlin.com/td57S7P1/

Expires headers and gzip would be a nice addition. OLS in your case is a useless waste of time/money (if paid version). Apache2 || Nginx would suffice. Golden rule for WP: the less plugins you have - the faster site you have.

As for database -- percona all the way, as the WP is heavy on innodb. Few days with MySQL tunner should do the trick. Indexes? Worth time to invest if >10000 records per table, else gains are negligible.

P.S. I like your website! It looks old school, a lot of words. True geeky experience :)

Thanked by (2)bikegremlin _MS_