Micronode Instances - Launching Black Friday

Comments

• MicronodeMicronode Hosting Provider

FR will now be available as a permanent bonus location thanks to the Kimsufi LE deal. It is only 100Mbps upload but vastly better than the previous FR servers 😉

Should we release some more credits today? Or wait until BF?

• edited November 2022

@natvps_uk said:
    FR will now be available as a permanent bonus location thanks to the Kimsufi LE deal. It is only 100Mbps upload but vastly better than the previous FR servers 😉

some now for now is not a bad idea.

:+1:

@ehab said:

@natvps_uk said:

some now for now is not a bad idea.

:+1:

Done 👍

Thanked by (1)ehab
  • where is the order link ? :)

• Good offer, 9 available.

Thanked by (1)Micronode
  • I recommend , go get them

• Can you load Alma9 / Rocky9 template/ iso? Thnx

@localhost said:
    Can you load Alma9 / Rocky9 template/ iso? Thnx

I'll take a look into adding it, centos8 is probably the closest we have right now

• @natvps_uk said:

@localhost said:

I'll take a look into adding it, centos8 is probably the closest we have right now

yeh - i saw that, it seems to be EOL i guess?

@localhost said:

@natvps_uk said:

@localhost said:

Its in support for a little while yet :)

Thanked by (1)localhost
  • @natvps_uk said:

@localhost said:

@natvps_uk said:

@localhost said:

Its in support for a little while yet :)

oh the Stream thing. Completely forgot about that.

• Is the upload speed in South Korea only 100Mbps? Do you have a test IP?

@qqlikelo said:
    Is the upload speed in South Korea only 100Mbps? Do you have a test IP?

iperf3 Network Speed Tests (IPv4):
    Provider | Location (Link) | Send Speed | Recv Speed
    | | |
    Clouvider | London, UK (10G) | 599 Mbits/sec | 738 Mbits/sec
    Online.net | Paris, FR (10G) | 1.02 Gbits/sec | 916 Mbits/sec
    Hybula | The Netherlands (40G) | 594 Mbits/sec | 689 Mbits/sec
    Uztelecom | Tashkent, UZ (10G) | 1.56 Gbits/sec | 4.41 Mbits/sec
    Clouvider | NYC, NY, US (10G) | 921 Mbits/sec | 1.10 Gbits/sec
    Clouvider | Dallas, TX, US (10G) | 938 Mbits/sec | 1.17 Gbits/sec
    Clouvider | Los Angeles, CA, US (10G) | 1.15 Gbits/sec | 1.31 Gbits/sec

iperf3 Network Speed Tests (IPv6):
    Provider | Location (Link) | Send Speed | Recv Speed
    | | |
    Clouvider | London, UK (10G) | 150 Mbits/sec | 640 Mbits/sec
    Online.net | Paris, FR (10G) | 162 Mbits/sec | 752 Mbits/sec
    Hybula | The Netherlands (40G) | 151 Mbits/sec | 554 Mbits/sec
    Uztelecom | Tashkent, UZ (10G) | 151 Mbits/sec | 430 Mbits/sec
    Clouvider | NYC, NY, US (10G) | 196 Mbits/sec | 698 Mbits/sec
    Clouvider | Dallas, TX, US (10G) | 201 Mbits/sec | 788 Mbits/sec
    Clouvider | Los Angeles, CA, US (10G) | 253 Mbits/sec | 870 Mbits/sec

Geekbench 5 test failed. Run manually to determine cause.

We're looking to get some feedback on the instances that were sold during the pre-sale.

Post a review below and we'll add 128Mb RAM and 5GB disk to your available credits.

It doesn't have to be a good review! We're open to criticism so we can improve.

• I launched a couple of instances on the micronode credits product, quite happy with the performance / price I am paying. If only you can add alpine template that will be much appreciated I have a ticket open for long time already.

@contactwajeeh said:
    I launched a couple of instances on the micronode credits product, quite happy with the performance / price I am paying. If only you can add alpine template that will be much appreciated I have a ticket open for long time already.

Great to hear that you're enjoying the service.

New template additions are somewhat on hold for now, we're working on implementing a solution where clients can add their own templates for instances and make templates from existing installs.

@sh97 said:

Any chance for more? Can't wait till tomorrow :)

Go on then! Few more released :)

Thanked by (1)sh97
  • @natvps_uk said:

@sh97 said:

Any chance for more? Can't wait till tomorrow :)

Go on then! Few more released :)

Awesome.
    Just ordered!

• edited November 2022

@qqlikelo said:
    Is the upload speed in South Korea only 100Mbps? Do you have a test IP?

Have a try this speedtest site. It hosts on their England NAT host(https://lowendspirit.com/discussion/4739/uk-natvps-from-2-per-year/p1)
    https://speedtest.uk.jwhan99.xyz

• edited November 2022

I purchased the credit, after entering a useless "hostname".
    Can you have it filled automatically?

`credit-${Date.now()}`

I haven't launched any instance yet, but I looked at the webapp:

• There's no Debian 11 template.
    • The profile picture is not my Gravatar and there's no way to change it.
    • When clicking on profile picture on /index.php, dropdown menu appears, but it doesn't appear on /create.php.
    • "Support" link in the dropdown menu is nonfunctional because the URI is missing scheme.

@natvps_uk said:
    New template additions are somewhat on hold for now, we're working on implementing a solution where clients can add their own templates for instances and make templates from existing installs.

Can I share my template with other users?
    Of course the platform should display warnings that third-party templates are not checked by provider, and a user is deploying them at their own risk.
    But this feature would be useful for educational purchase: I can package certain software, invite my classmate to purchase a credit, and easily launch an instance with the software without going through manual installation.

ServerFactory aff best VPS; HostBrr aff best storage.

@yoursunny said:
    I purchased the credit, after entering a useless "hostname".
    Can you have it filled automatically?

`credit-${Date.now()}`

I haven't launched any instance yet, but I looked at the webapp:

• There's no Debian 11 template.
    • The profile picture is not my Gravatar and there's no way to change it.
    • When clicking on profile picture on /index.php, dropdown menu appears, but it doesn't appear on /create.php.
    • "Support" link in the dropdown menu is nonfunctional because the URI is missing scheme.

@natvps_uk said:

All easily fixed, we'll get it on the backlog.

Can I share my template with other users?
    Of course the platform should display warnings that third-party templates are not checked by provider, and a user is deploying them at their own risk.
    But this feature would be useful for educational purchase: I can package certain software, invite my classmate to purchase a credit, and easily launch an instance with the software without going through manual installation.

Thats the plan, we're building a template "Marketplace"

• edited November 2022

Hey everybody, long time reader first time poster, nice to meet yall.
    To get right "back" on topic, here are my first impressions and thoughts on the micronode instance.
    After registering on natvps.uk and purchasing a micronode instance I received an email with a link to a ticket, which contained my login credentials for the micronode control panel. A bit strange to me but it worked so who am I to complain?

Creating a nat vps is straight forward, select the amount of ram and disk space you desire, type in a host name and password and off ya go. A nice touch is that you can't "over provision", meaning the sliders for the resource selection adapt to the max amount of resources still unused on ones account. On the flip side you can't type in an exact amount of ram, it's in 32MB steps only from 64MB upwards.

Clicking on the Ports next to the nat vps redirects to the port calculator and prefills the IP address for you, which is a nice touch, no copy pasting necessary!
    I have to say, I think it's a great idea to have a resource pool with nat vps's, the lack of a dedicated ipv4 just makes sense to me, no need to stockpile ipv4 in all locations in advance, just in case someone might create an instance there in the future.

Maybe someone else is experiencing this or it's just maintenance currently but I can't connect to all locations, funny enough the one farthest away (S. Korea) from me works just fine but France / UK for example don't work, just giving me a timeout when trying to establish a ssh connection. I'm sure it will resolve itself soon, considering the service hasn't been launched officially, some hiccups are to be expected after all.
    All in all looking forward to more locations in the future and the marketplace as well.

EDIT: Crossed out the last statement with being unable to connect to some vps's and adding this:
    After playing around more with creating and destroying instances, I think I figured out what caused this:
    When creating a new instance, not explicitly selecting an OS results in the instance still being created as long as all other fields are filled out. That new instance will show up as having Debian installed (first OS in the OS selection). All instances created that way don't have any connectivity even though they're being displayed as active in the control panel.

Thanks @Albatross

@Albatross said:
    Hey everybody, long time reader first time poster, nice to meet yall.
    To get right "back" on topic, here are my first impressions and thoughts on the micronode instance.
    After registering on natvps.uk and purchasing a micronode instance I received an email with a link to a ticket, which contained my login credentials for the micronode control panel. A bit strange to me but it worked so who am I to complain?

The login details are sent as a support ticket as this is how we historically did it for Micronode back when it wasn't automated. We may change it down the line.

Users are encouraged to change their passwords upon receiving their account.

Creating a nat vps is straight forward, select the amount of ram and disk space you desire, type in a host name and password and off ya go. A nice touch is that you can't "over provision", meaning the sliders for the resource selection adapt to the max amount of resources still unused on ones account. On the flip side you can't type in an exact amount of ram, it's in 32MB steps only from 64MB upwards.

We decided to set limitations to prevent people being able to create unusable instances, 64MB seemed like the absolute minimum to create an instance. Memory and disk go up in increments to allow the slider to be somewhat accurate, especially when users have large amounts of credit.

Clicking on the Ports next to the nat vps redirects to the port calculator and prefills the IP address for you, which is a nice touch, no copy pasting necessary!
    I have to say, I think it's a great idea to have a resource pool with nat vps's, the lack of a dedicated ipv4 just makes sense to me, no need to stockpile ipv4 in all locations in advance, just in case someone might create an instance there in the future.

I'm really pleased you like the direct link to the port calculator, this was a very last minute touch!

Maybe someone else is experiencing this or it's just maintenance currently but I can't connect to all locations, funny enough the one farthest away (S. Korea) from me works just fine but France / UK for example don't work, just giving me a timeout when trying to establish a ssh connection. I'm sure it will resolve itself soon, considering the service hasn't been launched officially, some hiccups are to be expected after all.
    All in all looking forward to more locations in the future and the marketplace as well.

Thank you for picking this up! We had completely missed it in our testing, a new release has now been deployed to default to London and Debian.

EDIT: Crossed out the last statement with being unable to connect to some vps's and adding this:
    After playing around more with creating and destroying instances, I think I figured out what caused this:
    When creating a new instance, not explicitly selecting an OS results in the instance still being created as long as all other fields are filled out. That new instance will show up as having Debian installed (first OS in the OS selection). All instances created that way don't have any connectivity even though they're being displayed as active in the control panel.

Thanked by (1)Albatross
  • Not sure why some default command not working? (Same issue on both micronode vps- debian and ubuntu both same issue)
    -bash: dpkg-reconfigure: command not found
    -bash: ping: command not found
    I thought those are basic package that will be installed? Or do I need to install those package in order to work with those commands?

MY/SG & Worldwide Latency Test V3 : http://www.mywebping.com (27 February 2021 Updated)
    MY-Unifi Home SmokePing: http://smokeping.mywebping.com/smokeping/

• I created 2 instances and both are running smoothly. Even the one with 64MB ram works, apt works, no "Killed", no "FATAL -> Failed to fork" for now. Great service for testing purposes.

If I may suggest, could there be an option to add SSH keys when creating instances? I hate it when I have to randomly type a password, copy & paste and deal with dropbear which I'm not so familiar with. (ssh-import-id comes with openssh-server by default and causes conflicts)

@go626201 said:
    Not sure why some default command not working? (Same issue on both micronode vps- debian and ubuntu both same issue)
    -bash: dpkg-reconfigure: command not found
    -bash: ping: command not found
    I thought those are basic package that will be installed? Or do I need to install those package in order to work with those commands?

Try running export PATH="/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/root/bin"

before running these commands.

Ping is not installed by default but dpkg tools should be.

Thanked by (1)go626201
  • @natvps_uk I just had some thoughts...

Slider
    A. add some default markers after each 64mb for easy selection. Same for disk with an arbitrary number like 5gigs.
    B. A text field where one can add an arbitrary number instead of trying to scroll through the slider

Defaults
    A. Once an instance is built, next time the config could be pre-selected
    B. Pre populate the hostname with something generic like uk_234m_3g_somerandonjunk (based on selections made)
    C. Generate a default password and provide an option to show or copy to clipboard?

Check for password complexity... I was able to create one with an easy one. Now I know it's the users problem, but if the instance is infected with malicious script, it will be a problem for all.

Thanks!

Thanked by (1)Micronode

@localhost said:
    @natvps_uk I just had some thoughts...

Slider
    A. add some default markers after each 64mb for easy selection. Same for disk with an arbitrary number like 5gigs.
    B. A text field where one can add an arbitrary number instead of trying to scroll through the slider

Defaults
    A. Once an instance is built, next time the config could be pre-selected

We don't store all of the details for each build so this isn't possible without some major rework.

B. Pre populate the hostname with something generic like uk_234m_3g_somerandonjunk (based on selections made)

This is easily done and may be an option although really setting the hostname is down to the end user.

C. Generate a default password and provide an option to show or copy to clipboard?

I think the SSH key approach seems more appropriate for this one, ideally we'd like to move away from root passwords entirely.

Check for password complexity... I was able to create one with an easy one. Now I know it's the users problem, but if the instance is infected with malicious script, it will be a problem for all.

Thanks!

Thanked by (1)localhost