Changes to NatVPS

Comments

• @yoursunny said:
    Debian 12 is coming 🤷
    <input type=radio> showed up in MicroNode, but not yet selectable.

RAM and diks resizing are still waiting.

Debian 12 teaser has been in place for three months now.
    When can we actually have Debian 12?

ServerFactory aff best VPS; HostBrr aff best storage.

• MicronodeMicronode Hosting Provider

@yoursunny said:

@yoursunny said:
    Debian 12 is coming 🤷

There is no official Debian 12 OVZ template at this stage. We have experienced with building our own with some success.

Once we get it stable we’ll release it or if an official template comes along in the meantime we’ll enable the option.

Thanked by (2)yoursunny bliss
  • AbdullahAbdullah Hosting ProviderOG
    edited September 2023

@natvps_uk said:

@yoursunny said:

@yoursunny said:
    Debian 12 is coming 🤷

There is no official Debian 12 OVZ template at this stage. We have experienced with building our own with some success.

Once we get it stable we’ll release it or if an official template comes along in the meantime we’ll enable the option.

I think it was added recently https://src.openvz.org/projects/OVZT/repos/debian-12.0-x86_64-ez/browse
    installed it using vzpkg

vzpkg install template debian-12.0-x86_64
    vzpkg fetch debian-12.0-x86_64
    vzpkg create cache debian-12.0-x86_64

Thanked by (2)yoursunny bliss

@Abdullah said:

@natvps_uk said:

@yoursunny said:

@yoursunny said:
    Debian 12 is coming 🤷

I think it was added recently, installed it using vzpkg

vzpkg install template debian-12.0-x86_64
    vzpkg fetch debian-12.0-x86_64
    vzpkg create cache debian-12.0-x86_64

Oh interesting, I’ll take a look.

I know that it’s not available using the ez- packages.

Thanks!

• Global rollout of RAM and storage resizing when?

Thanked by (1)benz

• @natvps_uk said:

@flo82 said:
    both back online

As for the Romania node I believe some maintenance was carried out last night by the provider. There was 193 minutes of downtime on the node although some VMs might not have came back up immediately.

Whilst we try to maintain the best uptime possible across the board we can’t guarantee this for the bonus locations. Occasionally downtime should not be unexpected.

It seems that instance creation is not working in Orastie location.
    I tried Debian 10 and Ubuntu 22.
    Panel says instance is created successfully, but SSH connection says "Connection refused".

@yoursunny said:

@natvps_uk said:

@flo82 said:
    both back online

As for the Romania node I believe some maintenance was carried out last night by the provider. There was 193 minutes of downtime on the node although some VMs might not have came back up immediately.

Whilst we try to maintain the best uptime possible across the board we can’t guarantee this for the bonus locations. Occasionally downtime should not be unexpected.

It seems that instance creation is not working in Orastie location.
    I tried Debian 10 and Ubuntu 22.
    Panel says instance is created successfully, but SSH connection says "Connection refused".

The node has been unstable over the last 24 hours, it’s actually been offline all morning.

@calin has been informed and hopefully it will be back online soon.

Thanked by (1)yoursunny

@yoursunny said:
    Global rollout of RAM and storage resizing when?

There’s no ETA currently. We always monitor new features and this simply hasn’t had the use for us to prioritise it.

Keeping in mind that the UK nodes house 85% of our instance customers the feature has only been used 25 times in the last 6 months by 4 clients.

We have no intentions of removing it on the UK or CA nodes although having it in place does complicate capacity management and actually reduces how profitable a node is due to the potential resizes or specification changes.

We will definitely revisit this at some point in the future but for now it’s on hold.

• @natvps_uk said:

@yoursunny said:
    I deleted UK instance and created Germany instances, which has swap.
    There's no way to modify a loadbalancer, so I have to delete and re-create it too.
    This causes downtime because TLS certificate isn't provisioned on the new loadbalancer right away.

Loadbalancer and instance editing is coming very soon, the work is almost complete we just need to write tests. It should be available as a beta by the end of the week - happy to add your account to the beta program.

This will allow you to add additional RAM to an instance for maintenance then remove it afterwards. It will also allow you to add and remove instances from an LB without any downtime although if the dns name isn’t changing the cert will likely not be regenerated - they remain cached for 24 hours.

Loadbalancer editing when?
    This has nothing to do with capacity planning or node profitability.

• Ticket #AVO-042454
    Nobody reply my ticket since May 10th 2023.

• @natvps_uk said:
    The node has been unstable over the last 24 hours, it’s actually been offline all morning.

Seems dead again.

Thanked by (1)benz

@yoursunny said:

@natvps_uk said:

Seems dead again.

I’ll take a look

• @natvps_uk said: we will attempt to inform users before their bandwidth gets close to running out.

I'm curious as to how you're going to implement that technically (solusvm doesn't support webhooks)

• @yoursunny said:

@natvps_uk said:

@yoursunny said:
    I deleted UK instance and created Germany instances, which has swap.
    There's no way to modify a loadbalancer, so I have to delete and re-create it too.
    This causes downtime because TLS certificate isn't provisioned on the new loadbalancer right away.

Loadbalancer and instance editing is coming very soon, the work is almost complete we just need to write tests. It should be available as a beta by the end of the week - happy to add your account to the beta program.

This will allow you to add additional RAM to an instance for maintenance then remove it afterwards. It will also allow you to add and remove instances from an LB without any downtime although if the dns name isn’t changing the cert will likely not be regenerated - they remain cached for 24 hours.

Loadbalancer editing when?
    This has nothing to do with capacity planning or node profitability.

Still waiting for an answer.

@natvps_uk said:

@yoursunny said:

@natvps_uk said:

Seems dead again.

I’ll take a look

Still waiting for the repair.

Still waiting for an answer.

We don’t have a date. The answer is simply when we find the time - I’d like to say it will be implemented before the end of the year but there are no guarantees here.

The node is back online, Calin is looking to improve stability to prevent these frequent outages.

Thanked by (2)bdl yoursunny
  • @natvps_uk said:
    The node is back online, Calin is looking to improve stability to prevent these frequent outages.

Borked again?
    "Connection refused" on my SSH port, and reboot button does not help.

• @natvps_uk said: we will attempt to inform users before their bandwidth gets close to running out.

DM me if you want to implement this as I've already implemented this function via a microservice for NatVPS subdivision of WebHorizon (https://lowendspirit.com/discussion/comment/154196/#Comment_154196)

I'm a Host Rep for webhorizon

• @yoursunny said:

@natvps_uk said:

Borked again?

@yoursunny said:

@yoursunny said:

@natvps_uk said:

Borked again?

Why don’t you create an instance in another location as intended?

There is not guarantee that bonus locations will be online, we do our best to have the best uptime possible although it can only be as stable as the host node. Calin has promised to upgrade this. I don’t have an ETA currently.

• @natvps_uk said:
    Why don’t you create an instance in another location as intended?

I do have other locations.
    Romania is the only location that allows pubic tracker.

• @yoursunny said:

@yoursunny said:

@natvps_uk said:

Borked again?

A bit to much noise from you my man. Does provider have no ticket system to keep some things private?

Thanked by (1)Micronode

@legendary said:

@yoursunny said:

@yoursunny said:

@natvps_uk said:

Borked again?

A bit to much noise from you my man. Does provider have no ticket system to keep some things private?

I want to clear a few things up here as comments like the above can paint the wrong picture for the service we provide.

The Romanian Node is available on Micronode Instances only as a Bonus Location.

For those that are unaware the Micronode instances platform is a resource pool that offers multiple locations split between two Tier's:

Primary Locations such as UK, DE, CA and FR

Bonus Locations such as AMS, Romania and Korea.

Primary locations are considered stable and any downtime on these nodes will be short and rare.

Bonus locations are considered less stable and are not guaranteed to be online at any given time. We do our best to keep the uptime as high as possible although due to the nature of some of these locations downtime is inevitable.

The reason we created the instances platform was to provide self service to cut support down to a minimum. If a location is down a client can create a new instance in another location without the need for intervention from support.

The instances promise is as follows:

Micronode credits come with strictly no support other than our guarantee that at least one location will be in stock and at least 50% of locations will be online. By purchasing this product you agree to this.

Every user of the platform agreed to this at the point of purchase.

For full transparency our uptime this year is as follows:
    Primary Locations
    UK: 99.99%
    FR: 100%
    DE:100%
    CA: 100%
    FL: 99.96%

Bonus Locations:
    AMS: 100%
    KR: 100%
    RO: 85%

We expect that clients respect this, and use the platform as intended. If a node is down we know about it. We are working on it in the background. Raising support either via Tickets or on public forums does not help the situation and gives us a bad name for sitting well within the expected service.

I do have other locations.
    Romania is the only location that allows pubic tracker.

This is not an excuse, we do not “allow” torrenting in any location. We simply don’t have automated torrent detection or DMCA takedowns from this location.

If a user is found to be torrenting due to other reasons such as heavy IO or Network Bandwidth they will be dealt with in the same way as a ToS breach in any other location.

I hope this clears things up, we provide instances at £15 per year for 512MB RAM, 20GB disk and up to 6 cores across 8 locations which we feel is very reasonably priced for the service provided. Most users paid between £5 and £10 per year in offers and deals.

We simply cannot provide support on a service that is this cheap hence the above.

We can provide a support service for an additional £10 per month for a 24hour support turnaround on all primary locations.

• 😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭

Our Finland location will soon be migrated to a new host in Sweden.

This will be a live migration with no downtime and whilst the IP address space will change the current IPv4/IPv6 address space will continue to be active for at least 30 days post migration to give people a chance to move over.

We do not have official comms on this yet although we wanted to post this here as our FL location has a bunch of renewals coming and we wanted to make people aware.

The good news is the stability is expected to improve substantially. Currently we are operating at 99.97% uptime and compared to our other primary locations this is on the low side and we feel it is unacceptable.

We also expect an increase in performance overall and the network is considerably better.

I also want to announce that we will no longer be selling individual VPS’. Whilst we will never stop allowing people to renew them they will not be available to purchase from now.

We will only be offering Micronode Instances from today. Most clients have already migrated to our instances platform and it is overall a more modern and stable solution compared to the traditional NAT VPS space.

I understand that people are getting frustrated that we haven’t had any offers or deals for some time. I’d like to use this as an opportunity to explain why and assure people that we do have offers coming.

We have over the last 6 months received a huge number of support tickets relating to orders being marked as fraud, VMs suspended due to fraud and abuse. Whilst we don’t offer support as such we agreed earlier in the year to not release any offers until we got on top of things. The good news is we are over 80% of the way through our tickets and should be back on track very soon.

We look forward to offering everyone some great deals before the end of the year. Possibly not on Black Friday but if everything goes well we might just have some offers out in time.

If you do have a ticket open with us please be aware that we are working through them.

If anyone has any feedback or suggestions now is the time to tell us and we will do our best to facilitate sensible requests.

Thanked by (2)Ympker skorous
  • @natvps_uk said:

This will be a live migration with no downtime and whilst the IP address space will change the current IPv4/IPv6 address space will continue to be active for at least 30 days post migration to give people a chance to move over.

We do not have official comms on this yet although we wanted to post this here as our FL location has a bunch of renewals coming and we wanted to make people aware.

The good news is the stability is expected to improve substantially. Currently we are operating at 99.97% uptime and compared to our other primary locations this is on the low side and we feel it is unacceptable.

We also expect an increase in performance overall and the network is considerably better.

I also want to announce that we will no longer be selling individual VPS’. Whilst we will never stop allowing people to renew them they will not be available to purchase from now.

We will only be offering Micronode Instances from today. Most clients have already migrated to our instances platform and it is overall a more modern and stable solution compared to the traditional NAT VPS space.

I understand that people are getting frustrated that we haven’t had any offers or deals for some time. I’d like to use this as an opportunity to explain why and assure people that we do have offers coming.

We have over the last 6 months received a huge number of support tickets relating to orders being marked as fraud, VMs suspended due to fraud and abuse. Whilst we don’t offer support as such we agreed earlier in the year to not release any offers until we got on top of things. The good news is we are over 80% of the way through our tickets and should be back on track very soon.

We look forward to offering everyone some great deals before the end of the year. Possibly not on Black Friday but if everything goes well we might just have some offers out in time.

If you do have a ticket open with us please be aware that we are working through them.

If anyone has any feedback or suggestions now is the time to tell us and we will do our best to facilitate sensible requests.

Thank you for keeping us updatet.
    When will it be possible to create Micronode instances in sweden?

@flo82 said:

@natvps_uk said:

Possibly this weekend all going well. Although it would be ideal that you delete any Finland instances prior to creating one in Sweden. It would massively help with the migration effort if people can “self migrate”.

Thanked by (1)flo82
  • edited November 2023

Finland has no stock in many months.
    Would Sweden open for new instance creations?

With Calin's own NAT service deadpooling at end of billing period, is the end nigh for MicroNode Romania location?

@yoursunny said:
    Finland has no stock in many months.
    Would Sweden open for new instance creations?

With Calin deadpooling at end of billing period, is the end nigh for Romania location?

Yes Sweden will immediately be in stock, at least for the first few months. Potentially indefinitely depending on demand.

We have no intentions to retire our Romanian location. We cannot guarantee that the uptime will improve but it’s not going anywhere unless @calin forces us.

Thanked by (1)yoursunny
  • @natvps_uk said:

@flo82 said:

@natvps_uk said:

Possibly this weekend all going well. Although it would be ideal that you delete any Finland instances prior to creating one in Sweden. It would massively help with the migration effort if people can “self migrate”.

I assume that not everything went on schedule, since I can not yet create a sweden instance.
    Any ETA?

@flo82 said:

@natvps_uk said:

@flo82 said:

@natvps_uk said:

I assume that not everything went on schedule, since I can not yet create a sweden instance.
    Any ETA?

There’s been a few issues with the IPv6 allocation. It’s resolved now but I want to make sure everything is completely stable before production.

Thanked by (2)yoursunny flo82