Koofr Vault - New feature free for all plans

YmpkerYmpker OGContent Writer
edited December 2022 in General

Koofr just ended the year with a bang!
They just announced a new feature, Koofr Vault (best compared to pCloud Crypto), that is an encrypted folder inside your Koofr storage. This feature is included for free in all plans :)

• Open Source
  • Compatible with rclone

https://vault.koofr.net/

Powerful, open source client-side encryption. Unlock enhanced security for your most sensitive files with Koofr Vault.

@vyas X-MAS comes early this year :D pCloud charges for pCloud Crypto. Used Cryptomator so far, but this is a welcome addition.

Thanked by (2)FrankZ root

Comments

• Interesting. Still need an epic sale to be convinced though.

Thanked by (2)tridinebandim ialexpw
  • YmpkerYmpker OGContent Writer

@Nekki said:
    Interesting. Still need an epic sale to be convinced though.

Glad I'm past that. Bought in at 90€ish and haven't looked back.

Thanked by (1)Nekki
  • I grabbed it when it was the coupon for 30% off. I have not used it though. It's idling like a champ.

Thanked by (2)Nekki Ympker

How are you... online?

• FrankZFrankZ Moderator

I also picked it up with the 30% off coupon. I set up rclone and mounted it on small VPS to use as a secondary backup server. It has been working real well for this purpose. My backups are encrypted at the source so this is what I was sending there. Now with this new feature I can use it for some other things that are not encrypted. This was a nice add on feature and a pleasant surprise.

Thanked by (1)Ympker

I am currently traveling in mostly remote areas until sometime in April 2024. Consequently DM's sent to me will go unanswered during this time.
    For staff assistance or support issues please use the helpdesk ticket system at https://support.lowendspirit.com/index.php?a=add

• rootroot OG
    edited December 2022

@Nekki said:

There is no epic sale, but there is a coupon at the moment. Koofr current offers from Stacksocial can be ordered with 20% off by using coupon KOOFR at checkout.

Thanked by (1)Ympker

How are you... online?

• @root said:

@Nekki said:

There is no epic sale, but there is a coupon at the moment. Koofr current offers from Stacksocial can be ordered with 20% off by using coupon KOOFR at checkout.

Sadly, an insufficient discount for premium idling.

edited December 2022

@FrankZ said:
    I also picked it up with the 30% off coupon. I set up rclone and mounted it on small VPS to use as a secondary backup server. It has been working real well for this purpose. My backups are encrypted at the source so this is what I was sending there. Now with this new feature I can use it for some other things that are not encrypted. This was a nice add on feature and a pleasant surprise.

Exactly. Some people were already complaining on the OGF, but honestly this is a freebie and if you don't wanna use it, you don't have to. pCloud charges for pCloud Crypto, so more than happy this has been a free addition :)

Will also give it a try.

Thanked by (1)FrankZ
  • @Ympker said:
    so more than happy this has been a free addition :)

May be after beta, they will start charging?

@adwsislife said:

@Ympker said:

Maybe they will shut down tomorrow. We don't know. Time will tell.

Thanked by (1)vyas
  • @adwsislife said:

@Ympker said:

Why? Most providers offering encryption don’t charge extra. pCloud are the exception.

Thanked by (2)adwsislife ialexpw
  • @Nekki said:

@adwsislife said:

@Ympker said:

Why? Most providers offering encryption don’t charge extra. pCloud are the exception.

Yup. Got it

• rootroot OG
    edited December 2022

I tried this new feature. It allows rclone to login using 2 passwords, one is the password set by client for the vault, the other is the unique salt of the vault. I must admit this seems quite safe and interesting if they keep no records of the passwords.

Now remains to be seen if there is no trick behind it. I am curious to see what happens if someone puts a copyright material within the vault. In theory they should not be able to do anything about it, simply because everything is encrypted and provider has no access on the content. I am not willing to try it and break the law though, because unfortunately I might get a big "invoice" from my government.

How are you... online?

• @root said:
    I tried this new feature. It allows rclone to login using 2 passwords, one is the password set by client for the vault, the other is the unique salt of the vault. I must admit this seems quite safe and interesting if they keep no records of the passwords.

Now remains to be seen if there is no trick behind it. I am curious to see what happens if someone puts a copyright material within the vault. In theory they should not be able to do anything about it, simply because everything is encrypted and provider has no access on the content. I am not willing to try it and break the law though, because unfortunately I might get a big "invoice" from my government.

Do you have to sign up with enough personal details to allow such an invoice to get to you?