Graphics card for 5120x1440 monitor

Probably not the best place to ask... But YouTube is full of gamers when it comes to monitors with this kind of resolution.

I have a Dell super ultra wide for productivity reasons. I don't game. The current GPU (RX550 maybe?) does drive the monitor to its native resolution but sometimes I get blank terminals or browser windows (I run Manjaro as desktop) so I think there may be a bug somewhere in the driver or the GPU itself.

Anyone has a similar setup as I do and what GPU do you use?

The all seeing eye sees everything...

Comments

• edited January 2023

AMD RX 6800 can run a max res of 7680x4320 per display IIRC, you may have more luck with a more recent AMD GPU
    Edit: What cable & port are you using? Higher resolutions like that might struggle not using DP or HDMI 2.1

• @beanman109 said:
    AMD RX 6800 can run a max res of 7680x4320 per display IIRC, you may have more luck with a more recent AMD GPU
    Edit: What cable & port are you using? Higher resolutions like that might struggle not using DP or HDMI 2.1

DP

• crunchbitscrunchbits Hosting Provider

Hmm, it's possible that might be pushing the RX 550 (especially if its a 2G version) a bit over the edge to drive that resolution. Generally AMD drivers on linux are pretty solid, especially a few generations older card.

Then again could be fine and just an aging GPU starting to have some bugs/errors.

Thanked by (2)terrorgen bikegremlin
  • How would I know if I have a 2G?

• @terrorgen said:
    How would I know if I have a 2G?

Try this glxinfo | grep -E -i 'device|memory|video'

• Owh 2G = 2 Gigs of RAM lol
    I thought it meant "2nd generation", my bad.
    Yeah I have a 2GB version. Grrr.

@terrorgen said:
    Owh 2G = 2 Gigs of RAM lol
    I thought it meant "2nd generation", my bad.
    Yeah I have a 2GB version. Grrr.

May just be a little weak at driving that resolution. It's really hard to say for sure, but I assume it worked fine with previous monitor/resolution?

• Yeah it was fine then.

• Yeah, your RX 550 is very low-end while your resolution is pretty high-end. I think you'd want at least a modern low-end or oldish mid-range card with more RAM.

I'm running a low-end GTX 1050 (non-Ti) on my 2560x1440 monitor fine at 75Hz, but then it's 70% faster than your RX 550 and running half the resolution.

• bikegremlinbikegremlin ModeratorOGContent Writer

I haven't tested any Nvidia cards on Linux.

Currently, I'm happy with RX 6800 (Sapphire Nitro+ AMD card series are high quality, but bad idea if you don't get a reasonable price).
    But for text and watching videos (without editing them), AMD RX 6600 (with "only" 8 GB of VRAM) should work fine.
    Asus TUF or, better if you find a reasonable price, Sapphire Nitro+ (good cooling, so less noise).

Relja of House Novović, the First of His Name, King of the Plains, the Breaker of Chains, WirMach Wolves pack member
    BikeGremlin's web-hosting reviews

• Yeah I know it's pretty low end but I figured I am not playing games with it so I let it slide.
    With the prices of GPUs these days I don't really want to shell out that kind of money to get a high end GPU for my high end monitor (I am cheap, therefore I am here on LES).
    Looks like RAM is the bottleneck here.

@terrorgen said:
    Yeah I know it's pretty low end but I figured I am not playing games with it so I let it slide.
    With the prices of GPUs these days I don't really want to shell out that kind of money to get a high end GPU for my high end monitor (I am cheap, therefore I am here on LES).

RX 6600 (the non-XT version) is the least expensive I would dare to recommend.
    You could "risk" with a used RX 6500 and if it doesn't work well, sell it on (won't lose much money if you buy used).

Relja of House Novović, the First of His Name, King of the Plains, the Breaker of Chains, WirMach Wolves pack member

@bikegremlin said:

Currently, I'm happy with RX 6800 (Sapphire Nitro+ AMD card series are high quality, but bad idea if you don't get a reasonable price).
    But for text and watching videos (without editing them), AMD RX 6600 (with "only" 8 GB of VRAM) should work fine.
    Asus TUF or, better if you find a reasonable price, Sapphire Nitro+ (good cooling, so less noise).

I haven't given nVidia a swing on linux (desktop) in awhile either, but I hear it has significantly improved. Still running AMD+Linux for my personal machine.

@terrorgen said:
    Yeah I know it's pretty low end but I figured I am not playing games with it so I let it slide.

Given the complete collapse of the GPU mining ecosystem, prices have really come down. 2xxx and 3xxx series nvidia are extremely affordable now, and I'm sure 6xxx AMD as well. The benefit of jumping up to a 3050/3060/3070 range is that for ~$200-300 you should be able to pretty heavily future-proof yourself (and game, if ever wanted).

@crunchbits said:

@bikegremlin said:

I haven't given nVidia a swing on linux (desktop) in awhile either, but I hear it has significantly improved. Still running AMD+Linux for my personal machine.

@terrorgen said:

Given the complete collapse of the GPU mining ecosystem, prices have really come down. 2xxx and 3xxx series nvidia are extremely affordable now, and I'm sure 6xxx AMD as well. The benefit of jumping up to a 3050/3060/3070 range is that for ~$200-300 you should be able to pretty heavily future-proof yourself (and game, if ever wanted).

I'd argue that, with computer hardware, "future proofing" makes very little sense in terms of finances.
    Buy what you need for the job.

Note that making some performance "headroom" as in not using 100% of available RAM or storage to prevent things from not working properly is not what I think of when saying "future proofing."

@bikegremlin said:

@crunchbits said:

@bikegremlin said:

@terrorgen said:

I'd argue that, with computer hardware, "future proofing" makes very little sense in terms of finances.

Note that making some performance "headroom" as in not using 100% of available RAM or storage to prevent things from not working properly is not what I think of when saying "future proofing."

Fair enough, that is how I was using the future proofing analogy. Well, and if he were to upgrade monitors again in 2-3 years a better-than-bare-minimum-specs-today card should handle that without issue as well. You are right that there is no such thing though, but an oversaturated 3060/3070 sellers' market means pretty favorable price-to-performance that will last quite a long time.

Thanked by (1)bikegremlin

@crunchbits said:

@bikegremlin said:

@crunchbits said:

@bikegremlin said:

@terrorgen said:

Fair enough, that is how I was using the future proofing analogy. Well, and if he were to upgrade monitors again in 2-3 years a better-than-bare-minimum-specs-today card should handle that without issue as well. You are right that there is no such thing though, but an oversaturated 3060/3070 sellers' market means pretty favorable price-to-performance that will last quite a long time.

For not gaming (or video editing & streaming for that matter) - AMD gives more bang for the buck IMO.

Basically, at the cost of sounding old-fashioned, I'd look for an AMD graphics card with an AMD CPU, and Nvidia for an Intel CPU, generally.

However, with Linux, I'm not 100% sure about Nvidia (maybe it works great - I'm just not sure).

• havochavoc OGContent Writer
    edited January 2023

Damn near anything can run high res these days. The tricky bit comes only if you want a >60hz refresh or need gaming performance. The little bit of 3d accel needed for Compositing window manager simply doesn't need recent gear.

I'd look at 2nd hand market here and quite an old generation. Buying like a 3*** series is buying a bunch of expensive silicone that is literally just gonna be idle if not gaming.

I'd probably use the steam hardware surveys as guidance. Whatever is popular there is gonna get support

https://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/videocard/

• @crunchbits said:

@bikegremlin said:

@crunchbits said:

@bikegremlin said:

@terrorgen said:

The last time I changed monitors was around 7-8 years ago 😂

• @beanman109 said: Try

@beanman109 said:

@terrorgen said:
    How would I know if I have a 2G?

Try this glxinfo | grep -E -i 'device|memory|video'

Did try this today and here is the output:

❯ glxinfo | grep -E -i 'device|memory|video'
        GLX_SGI_swap_control, GLX_SGI_video_sync
        GLX_SGI_make_current_read, GLX_SGI_swap_control, GLX_SGI_video_sync
        Device: AMD Radeon RX 550 / 550 Series (polaris12, LLVM 15.0.7, DRM 3.42, 5.15.81-1-MANJARO) (0x699f)
        Video memory: 2048MB
        Unified memory: no
    Memory info (GL_ATI_meminfo):
        VBO free memory - total: 1197 MB, largest block: 1197 MB
        VBO free aux. memory - total: 2911 MB, largest block: 2911 MB
        Texture free memory - total: 1197 MB, largest block: 1197 MB
        Texture free aux. memory - total: 2911 MB, largest block: 2911 MB
        Renderbuffer free memory - total: 1197 MB, largest block: 1197 MB
        Renderbuffer free aux. memory - total: 2911 MB, largest block: 2911 MB
    Memory info (GL_NVX_gpu_memory_info):
        Dedicated video memory: 2048 MB
        Total available memory: 5120 MB
        Currently available dedicated video memory: 1197 MB
        GL_AMD_performance_monitor, GL_AMD_pinned_memory,
        GL_EXT_framebuffer_object, GL_EXT_framebuffer_sRGB, GL_EXT_memory_object,
        GL_EXT_memory_object_fd, GL_EXT_packed_depth_stencil, GL_EXT_packed_float,
        GL_MESA_texture_signed_rgba, GL_NVX_gpu_memory_info,
        GL_AMD_pinned_memory, GL_AMD_query_buffer_object,
        GL_EXT_gpu_program_parameters, GL_EXT_gpu_shader4, GL_EXT_memory_object,
        GL_EXT_memory_object_fd, GL_EXT_multi_draw_arrays,
        GL_MESA_texture_signed_rgba, GL_MESA_window_pos, GL_NVX_gpu_memory_info,
        GL_EXT_map_buffer_range, GL_EXT_memory_object, GL_EXT_memory_object_fd,

now it doesn't seem like RAM is an issue...

• edited January 2023

@terrorgen said: now it doesn't seem like RAM is an issue...

It's probably DNS.
    Joking aside i'm no Manjaro user but when I googled the kernal version you're on 5.15.81-1-MANJARO I see a lot of results about display issues I don't know if this is normal search results for Manjaro or specifically that kernal? could potentially be an OS issue and not the GPU / Drivers themselves.

You could try dual booting another OS like Windows or something for a bit & see if you still have the same issues.

• Interesting observation!

• edited January 2023

@terrorgen said: I run Manjaro as desktop

found the issue,
    seriously - do not use Manjaro, they really like to fuck up all kinds of stuff(including GPU drivers)
    it also may be caused by DE you are running, XFCE does not like this resolution be default, neither does KDE Plasma.

• @treesmokah said:

@terrorgen said: I run Manjaro as desktop

found the issue,
    seriously - do not use Manjaro, they really like to fuck up all kinds of stuff(including GPU drivers)
    it also may be caused by DE you are running, XFCE does not like this resolution be default, neither does KDE Plasma.

lol. I upgraded to kernel 6.1 and my problems seems to be fixed. We'll see.

And for the record I use neither KDE plasma Nor XFCE.

• I have idling 3090.. Wanted the best at that time. Not a mining card. Not gaming as much as before. No ideas what to do with it :)

• @vero said:
    I have idling 3090.. Wanted the best at that time. Not a mining card. Not gaming as much as before. No ideas what to do with it :)

You could donate it to me :)