linode announces free ddos protection

https://www.linode.com/press_release/linode-launches-free-advanced-ddos-protection-across-its-global-network/

Maybe too little too late. Will they be the next domino after Digital Ocean?

Thanked by (1)uptime

Comments

• MikeAMikeA Hosting ProviderOG

I remember just 2-3 months ago they wouldn't say a word about DDoS protection, kind of surprised this comes out now. Wonder how well it'll work, especially considering they have Mumbai and Tokyo networks.

ExtraVM - High RAM Specials
    Yours truly.

• DDoS protected Japan VPS... ? I need to give them a shot soon

• vyasvyas OG
    edited January 2020

@MikeA said:
    I remember just 2-3 months ago they wouldn't say a word about DDoS protection, kind of surprised this comes out now. Wonder how well it'll work, especially considering they have Mumbai and Tokyo networks.

Thanks. I remember reading about it some months ago, now I see its up and running.
    Ugh. Now I need to find (earn/save/search) 5$...

https://welcome.linode.com/indiadc/

Edit: apparently the offer still works:
    $20 credit for sign up if you google up. And apparently the $ 50/60 day credit for Mumbai DC is valid for this month.

• unfortunately they ddos your wallet when you sign up

• MikeAMikeA Hosting ProviderOG

@tgl said:
    unfortunately they ddos your wallet when you sign up

I use Linode, no problems, but of course it's not the cheapest.

ExtraVM - High RAM Specials
    Yours truly.

• @MikeA said: DDoS protection

+

@MikeA said: Mumbai and Tokyo

This is a match made in heaven for Asian Gamers.

@vyas do they charge GST on top like DO does for clients in India ?

• @Rahul said:

@MikeA said: DDoS protection

+

@MikeA said: Mumbai and Tokyo

This is a match made in heaven for Asian Gamers.

no afaik

• vyasvyas OG
    edited January 2020

>

Haven't seen an invoice yet- the new account opening credit(s) did not work. Will wait till one of my VPS plans lapses, then set one up.

On a related note _ I am getting better speeds for Singapore location than Mumbai. In that case OVH Singapore makes more sense

• FranciscoFrancisco Hosting ProviderOG

@MikeA said:

A few people I know talked to them and basically it's there for the rare flood here/there, but if you're getting slapped and eating 30 - 50Gbit, you're going to get nulled.

Francisco

Thanked by (1)Voss
  • How much is their DDoS protection capacity in Gbps/pps?

Recommend: SmallWeb|BuyVM|Linode|RamNode

• AmitzAmitz OG
    edited January 2020

Is this just me or is Linode indeed always a bit "conservative" when it comes to the implementation of new features? They are the Debian of hosting somehow...

Amitz, a very stable genius (it's true!) and Grand Rectumfier of the official LESLOS® (LES League of Shitposters).
    Certified braindead since 1974 and still perfectly happy.

• InceptionHostingInceptionHosting Hosting ProviderOG

@Amitz said: Is this just me or is Linode indeed always a bit "conservative" when it comes to the implementation of new features? They are the Debian of hosting somehow...

I would say more the CentOS (6)

https://inceptionhosting.com
    Please do not use the PM system here for Inception Hosting support issues.

• ClouviderClouvider Hosting ProviderOG

@Francisco said:

@MikeA said:

A few people I know talked to them and basically it's there for the rare flood here/there, but if you're getting slapped and eating 30 - 50Gbit, you're going to get nulled.

Francisco

Well, in that case they need to seriously change this copy as the marketing team got too excited ;-). They will end up having a lot of unhappy people because now it reads to me that they will happily rank unlimited size of attack, at any time, so long as it is volumetric.

• I personally think that if smaller providers provide it Free and Unmetered that Linode does it the way they did for the Publicity. I just don't like when Large companies wanna act like we should care that they are doing what other small providers do after the meet their quota of course. Like SSL, certain things should be a given for being included with service, especially when it won't affect their already huge Profits when the smaller guys use what ever profits the can to provide what should be free.****Does NOT APPLY TO ABUSERS that will KNOWINGLY CAUSE ISSUES******* Those should get no benefit for doing what they do. I'm talking about the Honest Person wanting to enjoy and make use of the Internet.
    Well, I'm sure Linode has it's qualities but DDoS Protection for Honest Good people Should be Standard Across the Board.
    Sorry I tend to share too much, :)

VPS Aliens | AS207328 | Your Portal to Alien Class Servers & Support!
    █ VPS Solutions | Dedicated Servers | KVM VPS Reseller | 10Gbps Ports