Whitelist de-listing: HostDoc

Comments

• ClouviderClouvider Hosting ProviderOG

@MikePT said:
    Guys, it's not worth, seriously. No fights, come on. Let's wait for a resolution, shit happens, we just need to get around it.

GDPR

Also, I guess being cocky during a major fuck up is not going him any favours

• @AlwaysSkint said:
    When it comes to personal data leakage: once is bad, twice is awful, recurrent is downright neglect of duty.
    Is this why I'm seeing more spam than ever? (rhetorical)

Agreed, which is why there are data protections laws such as..

Get the best deal on your next VPS or Shared/Reseller hosting from RacknerdTracker.com - The original aff garden.

• @Clouvider said:

@MikePT said:
    Guys, it's not worth, seriously. No fights, come on. Let's wait for a resolution, shit happens, we just need to get around it.

GDPR

Cocky? Or pointing out the motivations behind the post.

@AlwaysSkint said:
    When it comes to personal data leakage: once is bad, twice is awful, recurrent is downright neglect of duty.
    Is this why I'm seeing more spam than ever? (rhetorical)

Very true and I agree 100%.
    The problem without it trying to sound like an excuse was the fact we were actively dealing with the issue. We just happened to miss the actual cause numerous and I will hold my hands up and say more could have been done. We have not been efficient in our role.

@poisson said:

@AnthonySmith said:
    I don’t think my advice will help, this is a recurring issue with what seems to now be a known root cause, I can only hope he is aware that if it happens again in a few months the community as a whole are not likely to be as understanding.

Out of respect for @AnthonySmith, I will not pursue the matter further. I have left the door open to reinstatement in my original de-listing post, and I will stand by what I have said. If there is evidence that the root cause has been addressed, HosDoc will receive the same full consideration as any other provider.

1. Thank you but you do not need to re-add us to your list.
    2. I am not here for a debate or to ascertain the truth regarding your use of the service. On that note, please accept my apology for any comment you feel may be untrue.
  • @HostDoc said:
    2. I am not here for a debate or to ascertain the truth regarding your use of the service. On that note, please accept my apology for any comment you feel may be untrue.

Apologies not necessary mate. Bring the evidence. :)

Deals and Reviews: LowEndBoxes Review | Avoid dodgy providers with The LEBRE Whitelist | Free hosting (with conditions): Evolution-Host, NanoKVM, FreeMach, ServedEZ | Get expert copyediting and copywriting help at The Write Flow

• @HostDoc said: The problem without it trying to sound like an excuse was the fact we were actively dealing with the issue. We just happened to miss the actual cause numerous and I will hold my hands up and say more could have been done. We have not been efficient in our role.

Thank you. That is the best response from you so far, IMO.
    I am also pleased that you have tried to respond via email, albeit with a few sweeping statements.

Thanked by (2)dahartigan poisson

It wisnae me! A big boy done it and ran away.
    NVMe2G for life! until death (the end is nigh)

• MikePTMikePT Hosting ProviderOGServices Provider

@Clouvider said:

@MikePT said:

GDPR

Definitely, GDPR is serious business for sure.

• @MikePT said:

@Clouvider said:

@MikePT said:

GDPR

Not familiar with GDPR but what happens if there is a complaint?

Thanked by (1)MikePT

Deals and Reviews: LowEndBoxes Review | Avoid dodgy providers with The LEBRE Whitelist | Free hosting (with conditions): Evolution-Host, NanoKVM, FreeMach, ServedEZ | Get expert copyediting and copywriting help at The Write Flow

• deankdeank OG
    edited January 2020

Supposedly, there will be an investigation and you (your business in EU) can get a hefty fine (like 10,000 euro).

Which begs a question: With Great Britain leaving EU, will GDPR apply to Britain after the end of 2020? If GDPR will become ineffective in Britain, it could encourage some EU businesses to relocate to Kingdom United.

Thanked by (2)MikePT poisson

♻ Amitz day is October 21.
    ♻ Join Nigh sect by adopting my avatar. Let us spread the joys of the end.

• MikePTMikePT Hosting ProviderOGServices Provider
    edited January 2020

@poisson said:

@MikePT said:

@Clouvider said:

@MikePT said:

GDPR

Not familiar with GDPR but what happens if there is a complaint?

It's a shit show. It'll be investigated, like, everything basically.
    All companies are also required to have a DPO (responsible for the data protection), companies dealing with private data, etc.

@deank said:
    Supposedly, there will be an investigation and you (your business in EU) can get a hefty fine (like 10,000 euro).

Which begs a question: With Great Britain leaving EU, will GDPR apply to Britain after the end of 2020? If GDPR will become ineffective in Britain, it could encourage some EU businesses to relocate to Kingdom United.

We've seen 50k EUR fines in Portugal, it depends on the company size, revenue, etc.

• Could be worth relocating to UK just to escape GDPR then.

• @deank said:
    Could be worth relocating to UK just to escape GDPR then.

Still if you’re explicitly dealing with EU customers, you’ll have to conform to GDPR rules.

Thanked by (1)TheDP
  • On paper, aye. Though one could argue that they can't do anything to anyone located outside of EU.

A good example is US/Canada hosting companies where they leak data like 90 year-old grandma leaking pee, yet EU can't do anything about'em.

• MichaelCeeMichaelCee OGServices Provider

I wish the Doc the best in resolving this issue. I can empathise with the emotional responses but for a case like this it is not worth it. Even if his points were truthful it's not the subject at hand which should be the main focus.

Thanked by (1)dahartigan
  • deankdeank OG
    edited January 2020

Smallweb's backup fiasco and now LadyDoc's leak fiasco.

The end is usually nigh. Remember that, folks.

Edit: Whoever claimed that 2020 will be great. Fack U. It's been a hell of January already. First, ExitBre and then Iran shooting down their own people because of reasons, and now Coronavirus or whatever it's called.

Thanked by (1)wordpress

• @deank said:

To be fair, Michael handled things well, unlike doc who started accusations of "motivations".

However, if something similar happens again to Smallweb, that's going to be a big negative.

Thanked by (1)dahartigan

@poisson said:

@deank said:

To be fair, Michael handled things well, unlike doc who started accusations of "motivations".

However, if something similar happens again to Smallweb, that's going to be a big negative.

A lot of companies in this industry do not get a first chance let alone a second. Having a second chance means there's definitely no room for a third and every bit of energy needs to be correctly focused.

Thanked by (4)poisson WSS Dream dahartigan
  • WSSWSS OGRetired

I've never used HostDoc, so you may take this with a grain of salt -

I deal with WHMCS and SolusVM issues every day, and I see how this could occur, sadly- by trying to make things more convenient for the client.

I really don't know - I know how I'd feel if I was a cause of this, but I also know how I'd feel if I caused this.

If they were aware of this for months and didn't manage to handle it, that's completely on them- but shitting on them in public due to being unhappy with their service or otherwise just leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I do not find an excuse for them not handling this as there were obviously several notifications, but I question if this is the platform to hoist them upon.

Sorry for realposting, but this could easily kill the brand, and I like the cheeky little bastard. We all fuck up, just don't do it again.

My pronouns are like/subscribe.

• DreamDream OGServices Provider

I was undecided to post to this topic anything.
    But now here we are...

This is MY OWN PRIVATE vision

@HostDoc I hope you can fix this issue ASAP and there has not been massive damage to the clients them self.
    If you need any help please feel free to ask. I will be there to help as much as my knowledge could help.

As @WSS has written, we all know that such things could appear and of course it's for both sides the worst outcome in such a relation.

For the GDPR which has been spoken about, If you're accepting customers from the EU, than you need to be GDPR conform this is also for the US or China Service provider. If the EU is doing about these providersanything, is somewhat unknown. There has been companies from the US which encounter with such bills but let's be somewhat real, they're just started to actively enforce the law. This also counts for me as a Swiss provider which is not in the EU. Also, after the Brexit the law is still current for them for EU customers.

Just at this moment I got an email from WHMCS about a potential security vulnerability.

Also, another point to mention is the pricing of the Products. Of course I like also to almost pay nothing. This is of course NO EXCUSE but the sad truth is, that the most providers don't take this aspect of our industries as serious as it should be. And Yes this aspect could cost more than you may earn from the customers.

@poisson Please take this with an edgy smile
    You also could have handled this a bit more professional from my aspect. I have read the Thread before any comments were posted. And to be truth I was thinking its just for some SEO bullshit because the first sentence was a link to your website. --> just my side of view.

Please don't beat me, or do it so hard i won't stand up anymore.

Cheers Dream

• HostDocHostDoc OG
    edited January 2020

As sad as it is, there is no doubt malice was a driving force in some form by somebody who was disgruntled.

In a normal(wishful?) scenario, the site owner would contact the party involved and ask for their side of the story. There would be some form of notification that the publication was going out. It would not change the fact the publication is going out, but allows the publication to have two views.
    Timelines do not lie. For those not paying attention, they would never have noticed the OPs change of attitude towards HostDoc for the whole of December till now, but okay, I get it, I am lying, right? I will not give into your childish games to disclose information from the client area when the whole reason this thread was opened was due to data breach. Yet, he wants me to breach further data??

The most vocal individual giving all this advise was supposedly part of my team. He could have given me such advise behind the scenes at an earlier time were he not holding a grudge.
    I could have had a sane voice advising that this has been addressed twice now, perhaps a rebuild should be considered.
    In my haste to address the situation each time, it never occured to me once to take down the entire installation. My main trail of thought was always the clients and getting the service back up as quickly as possible. I really should have assessed it in a calmer manner.
    But, why is it now this supposed team member chooses to voice his advise?
    He unlike many here has my personal phone number, personal email etc. There was no shortage of communication channels.

I am tired of sugar coating this. Yes, I fucked up. Badly! There is absolutely no doubt about that.
    I should have as a few have mentioned tore down the installation. I should have as many have pointed out taken a sterner stance about the situation and not let it turn into this.

There have been a number chances to totally abolish this and my reaction was simply not swift or efficient enough. BAU to me.
    I had been informed it had been addressed and without double checking, I took the word as gospel and got on with leaving the client area available.
    It is on me.
    As bad as what the motivation for opening this thread may have been, there is no doubt when a light shines on you hard enough, you have no choice but to own it. I have been complacent in my role and some self reflection is needed at this time.

The client area has been taken down and I will start with a fresh installation at some point.

Actions speak louder than words, so for those still placing their faith in HostDoc, thank you.
    No further apologies will be issued. Rather, I will act appropriately as should have be done from the very beginning and address this accordingly.
    The client area will remain down in the meantime.

• @HostDoc., because you are what you are and we love you ... its easier to let this pass by, hopefully no more personal info leaks.

i suggest you fix and take some break from sales for the moment.... if you don't you'll get burned out and possibly unwell. Don't look at Anthony he has some Asian girls giving him massages in his barn hahahah ...

Thanked by (2)vimalware HostDoc
  • @LadyDoc, you in UK? If so, soon you won't need to worry about GDPR.

• deank - only worry about Coronavirus

• havochavoc OGContent Writer

@deank said: @LadyDoc, you in UK? If so, soon you won't need to worry about GDPR.

Not quite accurate

https://www.gdpr.associates/gdpr-brexit/

• To be fair, what they claim and what actually happens in practice don't always coincide. Unless they plan for drone strikes to take out a corporate office it may be unenforceable.

• deankdeank OG
    edited January 2020

We will see is my take on it.

Edit: What happens in the transition period matters. If no-deal brexit happens, then GDPR can kiss good-bye to have any influence in UK.

@deank said:

We will see is my take on it.

Edit: What happens in the transition period matters. If no-deal brexit happens, then GDPR can kiss good-bye to have any influence in UK.

The UK will just get the S(pecific)DPR

• Regarding GDPR. My understanding is that any current EU Regulations, of which GDPR is, will be written into UK Law at the time of leaving the EU. As will all previous Directives adopted by the UK and statutory Regulations.

Thanked by (2)MichaelCee Clouvider
  • ClouviderClouvider Hosting ProviderOG
    edited January 2020
  • WSSWSS OGRetired

@Clouvider said:
    A ton of pointing fingers, zero humility.

But enough about yourself..

Thanked by (3)Clouvider cybertech xaoc

My pronouns are like/subscribe.

• @HostDoc said:
    As sad as it is, there is no doubt malice was a driving force in some form by somebody who was disgruntled.

Blaming others, ignoring issue.

In a normal(wishful?) scenario, the site owner would contact the party involved and ask for their side of the story. There would be some form of notification that the publication was going out. It would not change the fact the publication is going out, but allows the publication to have two views.

Blaming others, ignoring issue

Timelines do not lie. For those not paying attention, they would never have noticed the OPs change of attitude towards HostDoc for the whole of December till now, but okay, I get it, I am lying, right? I will not give into your childish games to disclose information from the client area when the whole reason this thread was opened was due to data breach. Yet, he wants me to breach further data??

More blame

The most vocal individual giving all this advise was supposedly part of my team. He could have given me such advise behind the scenes at an earlier time were he not holding a grudge.

I did man, a few times in private, you just brushed me off too.

I could have had a sane voice advising that this has been addressed twice now, perhaps a rebuild should be considered.

Far out, how much more did you need? I told you privately, your customers told you privately, many months ago.

In my haste to address the situation each time, it never occured to me once to take down the entire installation. My main trail of thought was always the clients and getting the service back up as quickly as possible. I really should have assessed it in a calmer manner.

Yes, you should have.

But, why is it now this supposed team member chooses to voice his advise?
    He unlike many here has my personal phone number, personal email etc. There was no shortage of communication channels.

I used those channels man, you brushed it off as not serious.

I am tired of sugar coating this. Yes, I fucked up. Badly! There is absolutely no doubt about that.

Agreed.

I should have as a few have mentioned tore down the installation. I should have as many have pointed out taken a sterner stance about the situation and not let it turn into this.

Fuckin' right instead of throwing accusations

There have been a number chances to totally abolish this and my reaction was simply not swift or efficient enough. BAU to me.
    I had been informed it had been addressed and without double checking, I took the word as gospel and got on with leaving the client area available.
    It is on me.

Mistakes happen, it's all good. Just fix it :-)

As bad as what the motivation for opening this thread may have been, there is no doubt when a light shines on you hard enough, you have no choice but to own it. I have been complacent in my role and some self reflection is needed at this time.

That's true, and in this case it's the kick up the ass you needed.

The client area has been taken down and I will start with a fresh installation at some point.

Actions speak louder than words, so for those still placing their faith in HostDoc, thank you.
    No further apologies will be issued. Rather, I will act appropriately as should have be done from the very beginning and address this accordingly.
    The client area will remain down in the meantime.

That's all we wanted from you :-)

Get the best deal on your next VPS or Shared/Reseller hosting from RacknerdTracker.com - The original aff garden.