dnscry.pt - Public DNSCrypt resolvers hosted by LowEnd providers

13»

Comments

• The resolver in India is likely gone for good. Leapswitch is enforcing KYC verification now, but I'm not going to send them a picture of myself or my documents. So they went ahead and suspended the service. I hope that I'll get a refund for the remaining months.

That being said, I've been able to get quite a few good deals on BF and a bunch of new locations will be added soon™.

@Shot² said:
    Soviet Russia

...is not one of them.

dnscry.pt - Public DNSCrypt resolvers hosted by LowEnd providers • Need a free NAT LXC? -> https://microlxc.net/

• @Shot² said:
    Soviet Russia

cheapest RU KVM would be https://firstbyte.ru less than 1€.

Thanked by (1)Brueggus
  • jayjayjayjay Hosting Provider

This sounds interesting! I'll email you in a sec.

Thanked by (1)Brueggus
  • leapswitchleapswitch Hosting Provider

@Brueggus said:
    The resolver in India is likely gone for good. Leapswitch is enforcing KYC verification now, but I'm not going to send them a picture of myself or my documents. So they went ahead and suspended the service. I hope that I'll get a refund for the remaining months.

We do not collect your documents manually, we use Stripe Identity for automated KYC verification. KYC is required by law in India.

• @leapswitch said:

@Brueggus said:
    The resolver in India is likely gone for good. Leapswitch is enforcing KYC verification now, but I'm not going to send them a picture of myself or my documents. So they went ahead and suspended the service. I hope that I'll get a refund for the remaining months.

We do not collect your documents manually, we use Stripe Identity for automated KYC verification. KYC is required by law in India.

Have you/are you going to issue a refund to him?

Thanked by (1)Brueggus
  • crunchbitscrunchbits Hosting Provider

@Brueggus said:
    Instead of buying random idlers this Black Friday, I decided to spend some money on this project.

Which locations that aren't covered yet are you interested in? Maybe I can snag a deal

I've saved you a real warm comfy well-broken in spot in Oklahoma City, OK. But you have to wait until Christmas to open it.

Thanked by (3)Brueggus Decicus terrorgen
  • edited November 2023

@crunchbits said:

@Brueggus said:
    Instead of buying random idlers this Black Friday, I decided to spend some money on this project.

Which locations that aren't covered yet are you interested in? Maybe I can snag a deal

I've saved you a real warm comfy well-broken in spot in Oklahoma City, OK. But you have to wait until Christmas to open it.

Sounds great <3 I'm looking forward to it!

@skorous said:

@leapswitch said:

@Brueggus said:

That's likely not going to happen, they stopped responding to my ticket. Server involucrated, let's move on.

I got in touch with Melbicom who've started operating in Mumbai recently, but I don't have high hopes that they're interested in supporting the project.

Oh, and Tokyo will be offline for the next 1.5 days. Traffic exhausted and Webhosting24 doesn't want to bring it back online unless I buy additional traffic for a whole year.

Thanked by (1)skorous

dnscry.pt - Public DNSCrypt resolvers hosted by LowEnd providers • Need a free NAT LXC? -> https://microlxc.net/

• @Brueggus said:

@skorous said:

That's likely not going to happen, they stopped responding to my ticket. Server involucrated, let's move on.

I brought it up because people need to know they don't issue refunds when they impose new contract terms but it's your call obviously.

Thanked by (1)Brueggus
  • edited November 2023

@skorous said:

@Brueggus said:

@skorous said:

I brought it up because people need to know they don't issue refunds when they impose new contract terms but it's your call obviously.

I agree and I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one disagreeing with the way they're handling this. But what I've learnt over time in the LowEndWorld is that it is pointless to become angry about losing small amounts of money to providers. You won't get it back anyways. I'm still surprised that a big company like Leapswitch pulls the same shit as Stromonic.

• @Brueggus said:

@skorous said:

@Brueggus said:

@skorous said:

I agree and I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one disagreeing with the way they're handling this. But what I've learnt over time in the LowEndWorld is that it is pointless to become angry about losing small amounts of money to providers. You won't get it back anyways. I'm still surprised that a big company like Leapswitch pulls the same shit as Stromonic.

Yeah. I can understand the countries laws have changed and they need to abide by them. Unfortunately, if an agreement on updated terms can't be reached then @leapswitch has breeched the contract - give a refund for the duration. It's bullshit. I'll make sure I remember this for when they come up in the future.

Thanked by (1)Brueggus
  • AbdullahAbdullah Hosting ProviderOG

@Brueggus said:
    Oh, and Tokyo will be offline for the next 1.5 days. Traffic exhausted and Webhosting24 doesn't want to bring it back online unless I buy additional traffic for a whole year.

I would love to sponsor the Singapore & Japan nodes. 🙂
    What are the resource requirements?

Thanked by (1)Brueggus
  • @Abdullah said:

@Brueggus said:

I would love to sponsor the Singapore & Japan nodes. 🙂

That's much appreciated! <3

What are the resource requirements?

Have a look here: https://www.dnscry.pt/sponsors/ . About traffic - Tokyo has hit 250 GB/mo for the first time and Singapore is averaging at 150 GB/mo, so that's not an issue, hopefully. I have a bit of a backlog, currently, so it may take me a week or two to get the servers up and running.

Thanked by (1)Abdullah

@skorous said:

@leapswitch said:

@Brueggus said:

KYC is required in India as of April 2022. If Stromonic did not ask you for it, it does not mean this is not a government requirement.

This customer has paid Stromonic and we have not acquired Stromonic's legal entity. We provided a home to customers who were not going to receive the service nor a refund from Stromonic's previous owner. This is at an additional cost to us as the Services were Prepaid (not to us) and the servers, network, IPs still need money to run :) .

The ticket was already handled by our team as of 8th December and service has been activated till the end of your billing period.

We have not imposed new contract terms. We have informed customers that KYC would be required at the time of their move from Stromonic to Leapswitch.

Yeah. I can understand the countries laws have changed and they need to abide by them. Unfortunately, if an agreement on updated terms can't be reached then @leapswitch has breeched the contract - give a refund for the duration. It's bullshit. I'll make sure I remember this for when they come up in the future.

Please see above. The said ticket was already handled by our team as of 8th December and service has been activated till the end of your billing period.

We are not this active on LES forum apart from our marketing team members who post offers. If you have any concerns please escalate them to our corporate team - [email protected]

• edited December 2023

@leapswitch said: That's likely not going to happen, they stopped responding to my ticket. Server involucrated, let's move on.
    The ticket was already handled by our team as of 8th December and service has been activated till the end of your billing period.

I can confirm that some service has been reactivated. My ticket was put on hold on Nov 27 after I refused to complete the KYC process. On Dec 08 my (?) VM was unsuspended. IPv6 wasn't working. IPv4 was, but the SSH host key had changed. I was unable to log in over SSH or VNC and no services were listening on other ports that should be open, , so I suspected that it's a fresh install. I didn't spend time to boot the VM to single user mode and reset the root password to confirm, though, and just left it as it was.

Three hours later, the VM was suspended again without notice. I bumped the ticket and the VM was unsuspended again without any explanation.

This is Leapswitch's second strike. They got their first back in 2018 when they sent me payment reminders out of nowhere and eventually threatened me with legal action. I was neither using their services, nor did I have an account with them.

I can just recommend against doing business with them and choose a professional and reliable provider instead.

But since this thread has been bumped - here's some news: A lot of new locations have been added to the project (a full list can be found in the Changelog) and I'm thankful for three new sponsors: WebHorizon (Tokyo, Singapore), Cloudie Networks (Adelaide, Toronto, Fremont) and MillenialHost (Hong Kong, Eygelshoven).

I regret having purchased services from Virtono and LetBox: I chose Virtono because they offer a bunch of uncommon locations in Europe but shortly after Black Friday they silently moved those services: My Servers in Belgrade, Prague, Milan are hosted in Frankfurt now. Zurich has become Paris, Brussels has become The Hague and Dublin has become London. So far, I haven't got any useful response to my ticket with them and I suspect that they're trying to cut costs by consolidating locations without telling their customers.
    The uptime of the services with LetBox has been underwhelming so far and when I opened tickets I got canned responses stating they were under DDoS and got hacked:

our staff is under a very high support load current due to a complex DDOS attack/hack exploiting a software bug on our platform.
    That would be the cause of your issue, and our staff is working non-stop, in conjunction with the VPS software vendor, and external > security consultants, to resolve the matter.

Apparently they have to reinstall some (all?) of their VPS nodes because of being "hacked".

edited December 2023

@Brueggus said:

@leapswitch said: That's likely not going to happen, they stopped responding to my ticket. Server involucrated, let's move on.

I can confirm that some service has been reactivated. My ticket was put on hold on Nov 27 after I refused to complete the KYC process. On Dec 08 my (?) VM was unsuspended. IPv6 wasn't working. IPv4 was, but the SSH host key had changed. I was unable to log in over SSH or VNC and no services were listening on other ports that should be open, , so I suspected that it's a fresh install. I didn't spend time to boot the VM to single user mode and reset the root password to confirm, though, and just left it as it was.

Three hours later, the VM was suspended again without notice. I bumped the ticket and the VM was unsuspended again without any explanation.

I have reviewed this issue and found a bug in our system -

On 8/12/2023 - 19:02 IST ( GMT+5:30 ) - our customer service manager informed you that the service has been activated without KYC .

1 hour later, a cancellation request ( End of billing period ) was submitted. However, the system automatically / immediately suspended the service. Our Hostbill is set to Suspend services before termination (when an immediate cancellation is placed ) but in this case it happened even with End of billing period. Same has been informed to our Ops team and will be raised with Hostbill on Monday. Happy to share the logs over ticket if needed.

Your VM has not been reinstalled. However, I can see it was moved from KVM ( Stromonic setup - AMD Milan ) to Proxmox KVM (AMD Rome) when all Stromonic clients were moved to our servers. Please open a ticket if you are unable to access the service.

This is Leapswitch's second strike. They got their first back in 2018 when they sent me payment reminders out of nowhere and eventually threatened me with legal action. I was neither using their services, nor did I have an account with them.

Please share this via DM or ticket. We do not see any record of you in our systems prior to Stromonic. Again, if it is under an alias / different name / email it is hard for us to track. We have done multiple acquisitions over the 17 years that we have been in business so it could be related to one of them.

I can just recommend against doing business with them and choose a professional and reliable provider instead.

We follow all legal obligations of the countries we are incorporated in. If this is considered unprofessional, I wonder what you think of the hosts which deadpool every summer :smile: (like Stromonic did before we stepped in and allowed all services to continue without payment )

• Quick update: The resolver in Castlegar (which was hosted by Limewave Communications) has been removed.

A new resolver in Kansas City (generously sponsored by @f4net ) has been added.

Thanked by (3)benz GeekWanderer f4net

• edited March 1

Update: All resolvers support DNS over TLS (DoT) now, please see the website for details.

We have a new resolver in Oradea, Romania, courtesy of @host_c . Thank you for your support! <3

Tbilisi, Georgia has been decommissioned due to high costs and a low number of users.
    Hong Kong (hkg01) will likely be decommissioned soon as the service is due for renewal and the provider is not responding to my messages. Please switch to hkg02.
    Taos, NM has network issues for a week and the provider is not responding to tickets, so that one's likely to be removed as well.