Looking for backup server 10TB
I am in need of a new backup server, as I currently use Mammoth Storage 2022 from Serverica, which offers 8TB of storage, 8GB RAM, and 4 CPUs for $20/month. However, its performance is quite slow, likely due to an excess of virtual machines on the node.
I am searching for an alternative with a similar price range, requiring 8-10TB+ of storage, 10TB of monthly bandwidth on a 1Gbps+ connection, and the ability to support a single website utilized for delivering backup files to my clients. Although access to the site is minimal, it should still efficiently handle server requests when necessary. I would appreciate a solution that is not as oversold as my current server.
Additionally, I would prefer payment in Bitcoin and am open to server locations in the EU, US, or Canada, as the server is solely for backup purposes.
Comments
@crunchbits has it.
Android 14 | Windows 11 | Ubuntu 24.04
Slow disk or network?
Use a Hetzner Cloud VPS and mount a storage box, cost is like 15 euro for 10TB storage and 2GB RAM VPS.
Hetzner Cloud VPS in the same location can transfer at 1 Gbps to the Hetzner storage box, so that's why I recommend getting one with the storage box. Connecting from external providers directly to the storage box is a bit slower in my experience
If you want a more simpler solution, Crunchbits is probably the better option, because the Hetzner storage box route requires you to configure it as a CIFS mount in the Cloud VPS rather than having it show up like a standard HDD.
shark lover
Here the yabs;
I have some concerns about Hetzner's practices, and I try to avoid them. However, I will definitely give a @crunchbits instance a try if it can provide better results. If there are more providers, I'm all in for backup redundancy.
Thanks for the help so far!
Hello sir it s possible give you
10 TB HDD Storage (Raid 5)
10 GB Ram
4 Dedicated CPU
1 GBps port speed shared
10 TB BW download / 10 TB BW upload
ROmanica location
20$/month
Regards,
Calin
Can you give me a link to signup?
Thank you!
It's about 40euro/m for 10TB and you don't get anything like 1gbps transfer from it, especially when mounting it as a file system. Other than that, it works pretty well. I have 5TB there and use Borg for backup these days, so I don't have to mess with accessing through a VPS. It also supports rsync and a few other protocols. They additionally have the somewhat more expensive Storage Share product which gives you a Nextcloud server.
Hello @btchost https://panel.ihostart.com , open ticket on website and post this thread link for create you invoice
Regards,
Calin
Guess I misremembered the price, but you absolutely need to mount it or proxy it through a Hetzner Cloud VM in order to hit 1 Gbps. For some reason, I've been able to hit the maximum 1 Gbps on a Hetzner Cloud VM in the same location, or proxying my storage box through a Hetzner Cloud VM and setting up a share on the VM
Transferring from another provider resulted in throughput grinding to a halt. My assumption is that they somehow limit the traffic from external providers and don't for internal traffic between servers in the same DC.
It's 20 euro for 10TB
shark lover
IMO, something is definitely wrong.
I have a Mouse package (much smaller) and the speeds I'm getting are very good - like 250 or 280 MB/s (do not recall, as didn't bench it for a while).
The only difference I noticed is the OS - I use Debian 10 "Storage", which was installed by default. Didn't manage to try other OSes yet due to the lack of time.
So I would surely start from contacting either @servarica_hani or support and asking them to have a quick look.
☰ VDS & Storage — Budget AMD EPYC VDS (ref) from $4/m / Big HDD VPS (ref) from $2/TB/mo / EPYC/Gold/Platinum dedis (ref) w/ GPU support