How much NVMe is a decent amount on a VPS?

AdvinAdvin Hosting Provider
edited June 2023 in General

Hello,

For the past few weeks, we have been planning a massive hardware upgrade in which we will be upgrading our hardware in every location to brand new, owned hardware, powered by EPYC 7003 Milan series. As such, we have the option to tweak our plans in order to cater to what customers would like, as we have full control over the hardware configurations.

One of the main suggestions that we find from clients is that we should include more storage in our packages. Previously, this was inflexible due to renting some hardware in a bunch of our locations, but owned hardware changes this completely.

Currently, our packages will be structured like this:

4 vCPU Cores
16GB DDR4 Memory
240GB NVMe SSD
1 Gbit Shared (4TB)
$8/month

8 vCPU Cores
32GB DDR4 Memory
480GB NVMe SSD
1 Gbit Shared (8TB)
$16/month

16 vCPU Cores
64GB DDR4 Memory
1TB NVMe SSD
1 Gbit Shared (16TB)
$32/month

It is important to note that these packages are not out yet, this is just what is potentially planned and subject to major changes, hence this post. This is not a sales thread, none of these will be listed or available for a while, and subject to major change.

Our question is: Is this too little NVMe? How much do you use? Is this a reasonable amount?

The reason why we ask is that we could invest in more NVMe, but we're not sure if it's worth it. For example, we could do something like 384GB/786GB/1.5TB NVMe on our packages, or maybe even 500GB/1TB/2TB NVMe.

Would this increase make our plans more inticing to you?

We are also worried a bit more about the increase in bandwidth usage that would be likely from offering this much storage.

Thank you!

I am a representative of Advin Servers

Comments

• edited June 2023

@Advin said: Is this too little NVMe? How much do you use? Is this a reasonable amount?

For the price, it's more than enough, you can take a look your competitors though, $10 usually comes with less than 100GB NVMe. 240GB is a little overkill for $8 VPS. Maximum 100-120GB is more than enough.

KangServer.id - Doing some benchmarks on VPS / Server
    LowEnd VPS Deals - LowEnd / Cheap VPS Deals

• Every one of those is above the maximum price for a LES posting, which might suggest you're asking the wrong audience.

• AdvinAdvin Hosting Provider
    edited June 2023

@tetech said:
    Every one of those is above the maximum price for a LES posting, which might suggest you're asking the wrong audience.

These offerings actually started out as an LES exclusive deal, which had lots of demand. It is technically above the maximum price, but it seems that LES is interested in somewhat higher priced but extremely good price to performance plans.

Previous LET thread: https://lowendspirit.com/discussion/4132/advin-servers-16gb-ram-8-month-restocked-september-9th-automatic-deployment/p8

It's now 1 year old, and has probably changed the course of Advin Servers, even if LES is a small percentage of our client base.

Thanked by (1)FrankZ

@febryanvaldo said:

@Advin said: Is this too little NVMe? How much do you use? Is this a reasonable amount?

For the price, it's more than enough, you can take a look your competitors though, $10 usually comes with less than 100GB NVMe. 240GB is a little overkill for $8 VPS. Maximum 100-120GB is more than enough.

While this is true, we want to go above and beyond what our competitors are offering. If people are heavily interested in the additional NVMe storage, then maybe it might be worth it to invest in it.

Thanked by (1)Khalequzzaman

• 4 vCPU Cores (AMD)
    16GB DDR4 Memory
    160GB NVMe SSD
    10 Gbit Shared (10TB)
    $6,66/month

perfect!
    @ehab @Mumbly @Advin

Thanked by (3)Advin ehab Mumbly
  • cybertechcybertech OGBenchmark King

@lapua said:
    4 vCPU Cores (AMD)
    16GB DDR4 Memory
    160GB NVMe SSD
    10 Gbit Shared (10TB)
    $6,66/month

perfect!
    @ehab @Mumbly @Advin

perfect

Thanked by (1)Advin

I bench YABS 24/7/365 unless it's a leap year.

• More interested in uptime, reliability and stability with your services

edited June 2023

@corbpie said:
    More interested in uptime, reliability and stability with your services

Given that it's a complete transition to entirely new hardware and upstreams that we control, yes, it will improve significantly, regardless of how much NVMe makes it into the final plans.

Thanked by (1)corbpie

• edited June 2023

My feeling on NVMe capacity:

• 5GB: not enough for anything, canceling
    • 10~12GB: barely enough for anything, will not order new ones
    • 20~25GB: enough for basic needs such as my blog, will order new ones if it's cheaper than $20/year
    • 45~50GB: enough for a few LXC containers, will order new ones if it's cheaper than $35/year
    • 99GB: my current largest server, running my Docker registry and Seafile instance, 60% filled
    • 200GB: it's totally unnecessary to have some much fast storage, unless it's DMCA ignored
    • 960GB: it would be useful if I can have 8 dedicated cores and 10Gbps network too, in that case I have an io_uring based file server that can serve up push-up videos faster than nginx
    Thanked by (2)nick_ tylerdu

ServerFactory aff best VPS; HostBrr aff best storage.

• @cybertech said:

@lapua said:

2 dedicatedCPU Cores (AMD)
    16GB DDR4 Memory
    160GB NVMe SSD
    10 Gbit Shared (10TB)
    6,66/month - $66,66/year

perfect!
    @ehab @Mumbly @Advin

perfect

update!

Thanked by (1)ehab
  • @lapua said:

@cybertech said:

@lapua said:

16GB DDR4 Memory
    160GB NVMe SSD
    10 Gbit Shared (10TB)
    6,66/month - $66,66/year

perfect!
    @ehab @Mumbly @Advin

perfect

update!

I am having what he is having.

Thanked by (1)lapua
  • @lapua said:
    4 vCPU Cores (AMD)
    16GB DDR4 Memory
    160GB NVMe SSD
    10 Gbit Shared (10TB)
    $6,66/month

perfect!
    @ehab @Mumbly @Advin

Those numbers are in perfect balance.

Thanked by (1)lapua
  • The more the merrier.

4 vCPU Cores
    16GB DDR4 Memory
    240GB NVMe SSD
    1 Gbit Shared (4TB)
    $8/month

What you have quotes seems to be perfect in my opinion.

• I never understood what the target for this much of NVMEs is to be honest. I am happy with 20GB on smallest plans and maybe like 140-200 for the biggest one. I am just not a target for those kind of questions (-:

Thanked by (2)skorous terrorgen

Haven't bought a single service in VirMach Great Ryzen 2022 - 2023 Flash Sale.
    https://lowendspirit.com/uploads/editor/gi/ippw0lcmqowk.png

• edited June 2023

The best spec is flexible: let the customer request CPU, RAM, NVMe separately.
    Every customer can then get what's best for the use case.

My favorite compute platform allows these requests, where each request is mapped to one of 974 flavours on OpenStack:
    https://github.com/fabric-testbed/InformationModel/raw/6e302e039b092b035274f3386977fb9fad8871c0/fim/slivers/data/instance_sizes.json
    The logic is granting the smallest size that is not smaller than the request.
    For example, a request for 5 cores 12GB RAM 80GB storage would receive c6.m16.d100 that has 6 cores 16GB RAM 100GB storage.

• havochavoc OGContent Writer

More is always better of course, but I'd usually go for much lower.

I would think a lot of people either need very little storage (think 20gb) since use case is as a VPS or they need a lot of storage (TB+) for storing all their linux ISOs...

@yoursunny said:

Do any LES providers actually do that?

• @havoc said:

@yoursunny said:

@SMARTHOST sells a base plan with 1 core, 1 GB RAM, 10 GB NVMe, 0 GB HDD, priced at $2.95/month.
    https://www.smarthost.net/index.php?rp=/store/virtual-private-servers-vps/vps-kvm-linux-nvme-ssd-2
    They don't sell higher plans.
    Instead, you can select additional quantities of each resource for $2 per unit.

• cybertechcybertech OGBenchmark King

@yoursunny said:

@havoc said:

@yoursunny said:

@SMARTHOST sells a base plan with 1 core, 1 GB RAM, 10 GB NVMe, 0 GB HDD, priced at $2.95/month.
    https://www.smarthost.net/index.php?rp=/store/virtual-private-servers-vps/vps-kvm-linux-nvme-ssd-2
    They don't sell higher plans.
    Instead, you can select additional quantities of each resource for $2 per unit.

that's actually not cost effective.

I bench YABS 24/7/365 unless it's a leap year.

• Another option could be to have a different combination of plan specs but all at the same price:

2c 8gb 100gb
    4c 4gb 80gb
    2c 4gb 120gb

^ rough example

edited June 2023

@corbpie said:
    Another option could be to have a different combination of plan specs but all at the same price:

2c 8gb 100gb
    4c 4gb 80gb
    2c 4gb 120gb

^ rough example

The issue is that we are using pretty much completely standardized configurations across the board, so doing something like this isn't feasible.

It would be possible if we had a bunch of different configurations, i.e. some with less storage, less CPU, etc, but still is hard to do/sustain and wouldn't be ideal + adds a lot of complexity versus just having a single set of standard VPS plans.

It could also be possible if we did some sort of shared storage setup, but that's still something we're looking into and would have its own set of added complexity/problems.

edited June 2023

@lapua said:

@cybertech said:

@lapua said:

16GB DDR4 Memory
    160GB NVMe SSD
    10 Gbit Shared (10TB)
    6,66/month - $66,66/year

perfect!
    @ehab @Mumbly @Advin

perfect

update!

Black Friday 2024? ;) (no guarantees)

• linveolinveo Hosting ProviderOG

I try to reserve NVMe for things I need higher performance such as DBs and websites, so 20-250GB. For larger storage, a spinning disk would be fine.

linveo.com | Shared Hosting | KVM VPS | Dedicated Servers

• @linveo said:
    I try to reserve NVMe for things I need higher performance such as DBs and websites, so 20-250GB. For larger storage, a spinning disk would be fine.

With the prices of SSDs getting as cheap as they are, spinning drives are quickly going to get obsolite. So doesn't make sense to use them on a server where you will use them for a while.

1 TB M.2 NVMe SSD is $50
    1 TB HDD is $50 as well

Unless the server is coming with enterprise grade 12 or 20 TB HDDs, SSDs are the way to go.

Artificial intelligence is no match for our natural stupidity.

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.

• @yoursunny said: serve up push-up videos faster

lol