cPanel Announcement (July 23) - source code policies

webmashwebmash Hosting ProviderServices Provider

FYI:

We are writing to address the recent announcement made by Red Hat regarding significant changes to its source code policies. This news was unexpected in the open-source and web hosting worlds and has raised concerns regarding the feasibility of rebuilds and forks of Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL).

At cPanel, we understand the importance of this news and want to assure you that we are closely monitoring the key organizations involved to provide you with the most up-to-date solutions as we navigate through these changes together.

Continued OS Support.

We aim to provide greater operating system (OS) stability and increased safety for all our customers. With this in mind, we will continue to support RockyLinux, AlmaLinux and CloudLinux, as they promise continued service. For full details, please read their official announcements: CloudLinux, AlmaLinux, RockyLinux.

However, if you wish to move to a different Linux-based distribution, we currently support Ubuntu 20.04 LTS on cPanel v102 and higher, and Ubuntu 22.04 LTS is on our roadmap for this year. Ubuntu continues to grow in popularity as one of the leading distros, and we’re open to hearing your feedback to help with this transition. You can view all supported OS here.

We remain committed to finding solutions that address any concerns associated with these changes. By supporting different OS vendors, we aim to support a wide variety of avenues for your business to overcome any potential challenges from third-party vendors.

For more information, please read this article. You can also visit our support portal to help you with any further queries.

Thanked by (2)FrankZ Janevski

Comments

• AbdullahAbdullah Hosting ProviderOG
    edited July 2023

cPanel transitioning to Ubuntu.

Thanked by (1)Janevski
  • @Abdullah said:
    cPanel transitioning to Ubuntu.

Likely won't be the last

• MikeAMikeA Hosting ProviderOG

Actually quite surprising and good.

Regardless, glad I don't use cPanel anymore.

ExtraVM - High RAM Specials
    Yours truly.

• edited July 2023

Likely won't be the last

I'm surprised they haven't done the transition. It has been two years and a half since Dec 2020 when RedHat made the announcement

• AdvinAdvin Hosting Provider

Debian support would also be quite nice ;)

Thanked by (1)Asim

I am a representative of Advin Servers

• Ubuntu !! Fine

• jarlandjarland Hosting ProviderOG
    edited July 2023

Mark my words, cPanel will be distributed as an ISO by the end of 2025.

Thanked by (2)webmash Janevski

Do everything as though everyone you’ll ever know is watching.

• @jarland said:
    Mark my words, cPanel will be distributed as an ISO by the end of 2025.

Honestly, I'm kind of surprised that it isn't already (at least optionally)

Thanked by (1)webmash
  • linveolinveo Hosting ProviderOG

I get supporting Ubuntu due to its popularity, but it would have been good to see Debian support just because it is truly open. Ubuntu could pull the same thing Red Hat has done. A move in the right direction though.

Thanked by (2)bikegremlin Janevski

linveo.com | Shared Hosting | KVM VPS | Dedicated Servers

• An email coming soon including "Due to given circumstances we face, we have no choice but to increase price by xxx".