A private VPN service ? How to do it ?

A private VPN service ? How to do it ? Which is your recommendation?

Dentistry is my passion

Thanked by (1)jureve

Comments

• Get a VPS and install OpenVPN/wireguard/strongswan.

Thanked by (2)Chievo Ympker
  • YmpkerYmpker OGContent Writer
    edited August 2023

@tetech said:
    Get a VPS and install OpenVPN/wireguard/strongswan.

Nyr's script is great for setting up personal vpn. Then just create a profile for everyone who should use it (e.g. family/friends) and be done with it :)

I'm having my personal vpn run on a 5$/yr natvps from @natvps_uk . It's been solid so far and 10 Gbps port (or was it 1 Gbps?) is awesome :)
    Runs on 128mb ram instance (wireguard+openvpn server), albeit ovpn was also running on 64mb ram instance :tongue:

Thanked by (2)Chievo KidRock
  • @Ympker said:

@tetech said:

Nyr's script is great for setting up personal vpn. Then just create a profile for everyone who should use it (e.g. family/friends) and be done with it :)

I'm having my personal vpn run on a 5$/yr natvps from @natvps_uk . It's been solid so far and 10 Gbps port (or was it 1 Gbps?) is awesome :)
    Runs on 128mb ram instance (wireguard+openvpn server), albeit ovpn was also running on 64mb ram instance :tongue:

Do they have U.S. locations I am thinking about setting some up here soon.

Thanked by (1)Ympker

URL Shortener | YetiNode | Come join us on the MetalVPS IRC channel!!! | Don't be a jerk, let YetiNode do the work.

edited August 2023

@AuroraZero said:

@Ympker said:

@tetech said:

Seems like that's not the case right now ( https://clients.natvps.uk/index.php?rp=/store/micronode-vps ), but maybe @natvps_uk can help out?

Very happy with my instances so far :) I bought the Micronode Instances, rather than single NAT VPS. That way I can create/destroy vps instances as I want respective to my resource pool.

@Chievo this is the link to the resource pool product. That said I got it on sale for 5$/yr atm iirc. So you might monitor their discounts on LES, too :)

Thanked by (1)Chievo
  • @AuroraZero said:

@Ympker said:

@tetech said:

You probably want to check out Gullo's hosting

Thanked by (1)AuroraZero

The all seeing eye sees everything...

• @Ympker said:

@tetech said:

What's the difference between using natvps/private vpn and vpn from providers like keepsolid, ivacy since they provide lifetime vpn with servers from different countries in comparison to only one country server for natvps/private vpn?

High resources hosting in low-end pricing - ExtraVM (aff)

• @KidRock said:

@Ympker said:

@tetech said:

What's the difference between using natvps/private vpn and vpn from providers like keepsolid, ivacy since they provide lifetime vpn with servers from different countries in comparison to only one country server for natvps/private vpn?

Would you trust them with your data?

Thanked by (1)AuroraZero

The all seeing eye sees everything...

• For private VPN, one can simply use the scripts of @Nyr from GitHub. Choose whatever you like:

How are you... online?

@KidRock said:

@Ympker said:

@tetech said:

Don't get me wrong, Ivacy/Keepsolid lifetime etc are great and I love them. I have another use case for them, though. I use them mostly for unblocking streaming content and doing some cheap online shopping, or streaming stuff.

Self-hosted VPN is for more private stuff like online banking while abroad, whitelist ip for certain services etc :)

• @terrorgen said:

@AuroraZero said:

You probably want to check out Gullo's hosting

At the risk of getting a reputation I'd again mention MrVM.

Thanked by (2)FrankZ mikho
  • Do check with the host if they allow private VPNs first. Most hosts are ok if it's only for private use.

Also, check out: https://www.pivpn.io/

You can use it on any debian/ubuntu based OS. I had been using it for a while and it worked well for a long time.

Also, this works well if you need a web UI: https://openvpn.net/vpn-software-packages/ubuntu/

Thanked by (2)FrankZ Chievo

Artificial intelligence is no match for our natural stupidity.

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.

• A VPS and solutions such as Wireguard can provide all the benefits. There is also proxy servers such as sing-box that can host a plethora of protocols.

• @yusra said:
    A VPS and solutions such as Wireguard can provide all the benefits. There is also proxy servers such as sing-box that can host a plethora of protocols.

Artificial intelligence is no match for our natural stupidity.

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.

• jfreak53jfreak53 Hosting Provider

Pritunl is the quickest and easiest to setup, will work on any vps really.

microtronixdc.com - Colocation, Dedicated Servers, Full-Rack options, VPS. John 3:16 - Jesus Saves!!
    Massive Network Bandwidth options with Fiber throughout, up to 100Gbps connections! Always-On DDoS Mitigation for all traffic!