Requesting suggestions for LES FAQ page

FrankZFrankZ Moderator

I need to setup a LES frequently asked questions page. I know I will not get this right first time out of the gate so I am asking for suggestions of questions and answers to be included.

Feel free to suggest anything that you may want to see in the LES FAQ. :joy:

I am currently traveling in mostly remote areas until sometime in April 2024. Consequently DM's sent to me will go unanswered during this time.
For staff assistance or support issues please use the helpdesk ticket system at https://support.lowendspirit.com/index.php?a=add

Thanked by (2)bikegremlin Not_Oles

Comments

  • List to providers.
    Discord link
    Contact form for new providers

    Thanked by (3)FrankZ bikegremlin nyamenk

    Dentistry is my passion

  • Link to the rules
    Answer the question of it is for real or not

    Reiterate buyer beware

    Make sure people know we have no affiliation with hosts amd only try to help

    I am sure I will think of more later

    Thanked by (3)Chievo FrankZ bikegremlin

    URL Shortener | YetiNode | Come join us on the MetalVPS IRC channel!!!

  • All of the above and randomly add this rule multiple times...

    ‐ Don't be a dick

    Thanked by (1)FrankZ
  • Very basic explanation of different types of hosting (shared, vps, dedi, etc.)

    Thanked by (1)FrankZ
  • FrankZFrankZ Moderator

    Reasonable answers to the questions would also be most helpful.

    I am currently traveling in mostly remote areas until sometime in April 2024. Consequently DM's sent to me will go unanswered during this time.
    For staff assistance or support issues please use the helpdesk ticket system at https://support.lowendspirit.com/index.php?a=add

  • skorupionskorupion Services Provider

    Why colocrossing is bad, and not allowed

    Crunchbits Technical Support, Technical Writer, and Sales
    Contact me at: +1 (347) 518-1661 or [email protected]

  • Why servers are expensive in Japan and Singapore.
    Why you should open ticket before open chargeback.
    Why you should not bump ticket or open multiple tickets on the same issue.
    Why you should not selfhost email and expect them to reach the inbox.
    Why there are buses in certain threads.
    Why you should determine server location with traceroute instead of geoip lookup.
    Why you should ask for IPv6 when renting servers.
    Why routed IPv6 would save resources on both provider side and customer side.
    Why you should not buy IPv6-only VPS if your local ISP does not have IPv6.
    Why you should not install Windows on Linux only VPS.
    Why you cannot find DMCA ignored servers in USA.
    Why you should avoid yearly offers on providers trading for less than a year.
    Why you should not stay up all night in Black Friday.
    Why you can save your money and the planet by cancelling idle servers.

    Thanked by (2)Mumbly crunchbits

    ServerFactory aff best VPS; HostBrr aff best storage.

  • FrankZFrankZ Moderator

    @yoursunny said:
    Why servers are expensive in Japan and Singapore.
    Why you should open ticket before open chargeback.
    Why you should not bump ticket or open multiple tickets on the same issue.
    Why you should not selfhost email and expect them to reach the inbox.
    Why there are buses in certain threads.
    Why you should determine server location with traceroute instead of geoip lookup.
    Why you should ask for IPv6 when renting servers.
    Why routed IPv6 would save resources on both provider side and customer side.
    Why you should not buy IPv6-only VPS if your local ISP does not have IPv6.
    Why you should not install Windows on Linux only VPS.
    Why you cannot find DMCA ignored servers in USA.
    Why you should avoid yearly offers on providers trading for less than a year.
    Why you should not stay up all night in Black Friday.
    Why you can save your money and the planet by cancelling idle servers.

    I don't have the answers to most of those questions, can you supply them ?

    I am currently traveling in mostly remote areas until sometime in April 2024. Consequently DM's sent to me will go unanswered during this time.
    For staff assistance or support issues please use the helpdesk ticket system at https://support.lowendspirit.com/index.php?a=add

  • skorousskorous OG
    edited August 2023

    I [bought/sold)transferried] an account by changing the email address and the [seller/buyer/hoster] [stole my money/stole my money/closed my account]!
    *) What recourse do I have?
    None
    *) Why is everyone making fun of me?
    Because you asked for it by doing shady shit.

    Thanked by (2)FrankZ AlwaysSkint
  • crunchbitscrunchbits Hosting Provider
    edited August 2023

    Q: I need a [VPS/dedicated server], how do I get one?
    A: https://crunchbits.com

    edit: is it still paypal.me/FrankZ ?

  • @crunchbits said:
    Q: I need a [VPS/dedicated server], how do I get one?
    A: https://crunchbits.com

    edit: is it still paypal.me/FrankZ ?

    No it's paypal.me/aurorazero :p

    URL Shortener | YetiNode | Come join us on the MetalVPS IRC channel!!!

  • Please send $1,000,000 USD to the Prince of Nigeria: PayPal.me/thenigerianprince

    Thanked by (1)FrankZ

    The all seeing eye sees everything...

  • @FrankZ said:

    @yoursunny said:
    Why servers are expensive in Japan and Singapore.
    Why you should open ticket before open chargeback.
    Why you should not bump ticket or open multiple tickets on the same issue.
    Why you should not selfhost email and expect them to reach the inbox.
    Why there are buses in certain threads.
    Why you should determine server location with traceroute instead of geoip lookup.
    Why you should ask for IPv6 when renting servers.
    Why routed IPv6 would save resources on both provider side and customer side.
    Why you should not buy IPv6-only VPS if your local ISP does not have IPv6.
    Why you should not install Windows on Linux only VPS.
    Why you cannot find DMCA ignored servers in USA.
    Why you should avoid yearly offers on providers trading for less than a year.
    Why you should not stay up all night in Black Friday.
    Why you can save your money and the planet by cancelling idle servers.

    I don't have the answers to most of those questions, can you supply them ?

    ChatGPT answers!

    Why servers are expensive in Japan and Singapore:

    Servers tend to be pricier in Japan and Singapore due to several factors. These countries have higher costs of living, which extends to operational expenses such as electricity, labor, and real estate. Additionally, their advanced technological infrastructures and reliable power grids contribute to the overall cost. Moreover, limited space availability and strict regulations may lead to higher overheads for data centers. All these factors combined make server hosting more expensive in these regions.

    Why you should open a ticket before opening a chargeback:

    Opening a ticket before resorting to a chargeback is a wise step. When you encounter issues with a service, reaching out to the provider's support through a ticket allows them to address and resolve the problem directly. Chargebacks can cause unnecessary disputes and complications, while a support ticket offers a more streamlined and effective resolution process. It's best to give the provider a chance to rectify the situation before initiating a chargeback.

    Why you should not bump a ticket or open multiple tickets on the same issue:

    Bumping tickets or creating multiple tickets for the same issue can actually slow down the resolution process. Support teams work on a first-come-first-served basis, and excessive tickets or bumps can create confusion and inefficiency. It's better to be patient and wait for a response to your initial ticket. This approach helps support staff focus on one clear thread of communication, leading to faster and more effective solutions.

    Why you should not self-host email and expect it to reach the inbox:

    Self-hosting email might seem cost-effective, but ensuring proper email deliverability is a complex task. Many factors, including IP reputation, spam filtering, and server configuration, influence email deliverability. Email providers have stringent anti-spam measures, and self-hosted servers might not meet those standards, causing your emails to end up in recipients' spam folders or being blocked entirely. Using a reputable email service or provider ensures better deliverability and reliability.

    Why there are buses in certain threads:

    The mention of "buses" in certain threads likely refers to the practice of throwing others under the bus, metaphorically speaking. It implies blaming or sacrificing someone else to deflect blame or responsibility. In the context of a forum like LowEndSpirit, this might refer to instances where users or providers are sharing negative experiences, possibly criticizing certain services or providers without directly naming them.

    Why you should determine server location with traceroute instead of geoip lookup:

    Traceroute provides a more accurate representation of the actual network path between your location and the server. GeoIP lookup relies on databases that map IP addresses to geographic locations, but these databases can sometimes be outdated or inaccurate. Traceroute, on the other hand, shows the actual route taken by packets, allowing you to make more informed decisions about server location for latency-sensitive applications.

    Why you should ask for IPv6 when renting servers:

    IPv6 offers a larger address space and helps mitigate the limitations of IPv4 address exhaustion. As more devices come online, the demand for IP addresses increases. By requesting IPv6, you future-proof your server setup, ensuring that you won't run into addressing issues as IPv4 resources become scarcer. Additionally, some services and applications are optimized for IPv6, potentially improving performance.

    Why routed IPv6 would save resources on both provider and customer sides:

    Routed IPv6 allocation allows efficient utilization of IP addresses. Unlike traditional one-to-one IPv4 mappings, routed IPv6 can assign multiple subnets from a larger prefix to different customers. This saves IP addresses and reduces address space fragmentation. For providers, it means they can serve more customers with a smaller address pool. Customers benefit by having a dedicated subnet for their use.

    Why you should not buy IPv6-only VPS if your local ISP does not have IPv6:

    If your local ISP doesn't support IPv6, choosing an IPv6-only VPS might lead to connectivity issues. You won't be able to access IPv6-only resources, limiting your online experience. It's advisable to ensure compatibility between your ISP and VPS before making a purchase. Opt for dual-stack VPS (supporting both IPv4 and IPv6) if your ISP doesn't yet offer IPv6 connectivity.

    Why you should not install Windows on a Linux-only VPS:

    Installing Windows on a VPS designed for Linux-only environments can result in compatibility issues and suboptimal performance. VPS providers often optimize their infrastructure for the specific operating system they offer. Mixing operating systems might lead to driver conflicts, security vulnerabilities, and reduced stability. It's best to choose a VPS with the intended operating system for the best user experience.

    Why you cannot find DMCA-ignored servers in the USA:

    DMCA (Digital Millennium Copyright Act) is a United States copyright law. While some providers claim to offer DMCA-ignored servers, this might not always be accurate. DMCA compliance is a legal requirement in the USA, and hosting providers need to respond to valid takedown notices. Some providers might advertise DMCA-ignored services, but it's important to verify their policies and ensure compliance with relevant laws.

    Why you should avoid yearly offers on providers trading for less than a year:

    Providers trading for less than a year might not have established a track record of reliability. Committing to a yearly offer with such providers carries a higher risk of encountering issues or potential downtime without a history to gauge their service quality. It's advisable to prioritize providers with a proven track record and positive reviews, even if it means paying a bit more.

    Why you should not stay up all night on Black Friday:

    Staying up all night on Black Friday to catch deals might sound tempting, but it's essential to prioritize your well-being. Lack of sleep can affect your health and decision-making abilities. Many deals last beyond the initial rush, and exhaustion could lead to hasty decisions. It's better to get sufficient rest and make informed choices during the sale.

    Why you can save your money and the planet by canceling idle servers:

    Running idle servers consumes energy and resources unnecessarily. By canceling or deactivating idle servers, you reduce your carbon footprint and save money on electricity bills. In an era of environmental consciousness, responsible resource management helps minimize the overall impact on the planet while optimizing your spending on server resources you actually use.

    Thanked by (2)FrankZ Mumbly
  • Q What’s the first rule of Munk club?
    A You must always talk about Munk club

    Thanked by (2)FrankZ bikegremlin
  • bikegremlinbikegremlin ModeratorOGContent Writer

    @lesuser said:

    @FrankZ said:

    @yoursunny said:
    Why servers are expensive in Japan and Singapore.
    Why you should open ticket before open chargeback.
    Why you should not bump ticket or open multiple tickets on the same issue.
    Why you should not selfhost email and expect them to reach the inbox.
    Why there are buses in certain threads.
    Why you should determine server location with traceroute instead of geoip lookup.
    Why you should ask for IPv6 when renting servers.
    Why routed IPv6 would save resources on both provider side and customer side.
    Why you should not buy IPv6-only VPS if your local ISP does not have IPv6.
    Why you should not install Windows on Linux only VPS.
    Why you cannot find DMCA ignored servers in USA.
    Why you should avoid yearly offers on providers trading for less than a year.
    Why you should not stay up all night in Black Friday.
    Why you can save your money and the planet by cancelling idle servers.

    I don't have the answers to most of those questions, can you supply them ?

    ChatGPT answers!

    A colleague wrote a whole book in an afternoon using that stuff.
    It is scary, so many things could go wrong with these tools.

    Not that, in today's world, anyone is going to stop it because "everyone else is using/perfectin it, don't want to be at a disadvantage."

    Relja of House Novović, the First of His Name, King of the Plains, the Breaker of Chains, WirMach Wolves pack member
    BikeGremlin's web-hosting reviews

  • Hmm, Le Suser? is it french? :lol:
    Anyway, hood work on the chatGPT answers @LeSuser!

    If it’s not broken, keep fixing it until it is. Blink twice if you agree.

  • edited August 2023

    A list of common abbreviations used here, such as mjj, OGF, vps, vds etc etc.
    Oh, and lingo like "involucrated".

  • Maybe some of the backstorys for the usual slang, additionally to what @rcy026 suggested.
    'Debian thx.', 'Amitz day', 'Sneakers', 'no any abuse', 'sisters', 'linux isos', you name it.

  • why $7
    why making order with a vpn is a bad idea
    list of provider known asking for ID verfication

    Thanked by (2)FrankZ bikegremlin

    Fuck this 24/7 internet spew of trivia and celebrity bullshit.

Sign In or Register to comment.