Lab rats required to test new free hosting service

Comments

• I've got no beef until some sort of drama occurs. Until then, I lurk.

Thanked by (2)uptime vimalware

♻ Amitz day is October 21.
    ♻ Join Nigh sect by adopting my avatar. Let us spread the joys of the end.

• Free hosting will never replace paid hosting for the majority. Everyone understands that if you want a good service with all the extras, fast support, less crowded servers thus faster servers, and so on. You need to pay. Whilst I am not going to operate anything but a good service it will never be seen as reliable as paying someone and motivating them with money.

Thanked by (1)dartagnan
  • @deank said:
    I've got no beef until some sort of drama occurs. Until then, I lurk.

Let's be honest, it is what everyone wants, will do my best.

• havochavoc OGContent Writer
    edited February 2020

I suggest you get rid of or redesign the Try Demo button.

It navigates users away from your site (only realised when I saw the "pricing" button at the top & thought wait what). Double confusing cause your site has a gif of the directadmin page header at top of that page so they even look similar

Good luck!

Thanked by (1)Lee
  • @havoc said: I suggest you get rid of or redesign the Try Demo button.

It will all change once the new site is done.

• @Lee said:
    Free hosting will never replace paid hosting for the majority. Everyone understands that if you want a good service with all the extras, fast support, less crowded servers thus faster servers, and so on. You need to pay. Whilst I am not going to operate anything but a good service it will never be seen as reliable as paying someone and motivating them with money.

No one uses nor should use free hosting for serious projects. The market will continue to be saturated and we will always have the Free vs budget vs premium providers debate.

I am just happy to see another well-respected member of the industry joining the "Free Host" gang. Joe led the way, I am here, doing trying to do my fair share of charity, Lee will redefine and make it awesome as he always does!! Keep it up, man! Losing money ain't fun but the satisfaction is worth the investment :)

Thanked by (4)Lee dahartigan WSS Ouji
  • LeeLee OG
    edited February 2020

A few more testers would be great to make sure everything is running ok with the new Netherlands location running cPanel.

• @Lee said:
    A few more testers would be great to make sure everything is running ok with the new Netherlands location running cPanel.

It doesn't feel right to create a free hosting account for cPanel plans. Each account is costing the provider money. Its okay as long as it's (free cPanel hosting) for testing.

• MS said:

@Lee said:

It doesn't feel right to create a free hosting account for cPanel plans. Each account is costing the provider money. Its okay as long as it's (free cPanel hosting) for testing.

Sorry, I don't understand what you mean.

• WSSWSS OGRetired

@Lee said:

MS said:

@Lee said:

I think he's asking why anyone would offer a free cPanel plan with the new pricing.

Thanked by (2)Lee _MS_

My pronouns are like/subscribe.

• LeeLee OG
    edited February 2020

The new pricing is not that bad, I have always said it for what is offered by cPanel, you may not think so. In any event, its factored in, I wouldn't use anyone to provide the service that was not sensibly limiting the number of accounts for the cost of service.

We will see what people lean towards, DA or cPanel.

Thanked by (1)vimalware
  • WSSWSS OGRetired

@Lee said:
    We will see what people lean towards, DA or cPanel.

If you're used to CloudLinux+cPanel, DA is actually not all that different these days for the end user - even the grouping of specific tasks is similar.

• @WSS said:

@Lee said:

MS said:

@Lee said:

I think he's asking why anyone would offer a free cPanel plan with the new pricing.

Did you just assume his gender agenda?

Thanked by (1)WSS

Get the best deal on your next VPS or Shared/Reseller hosting from RacknerdTracker.com - The original aff garden.

• @Lee said:

@WSS said:

Thanks for clarifying, @WSS. With new cPanel pricing model, a 'free' account is also costing the provider money even if that account is idle/not using any hardware resources. That is because now there is a software cost as well for 'each' account. Free hosting offered on DirectAdmin, free-panels such as CyberPanel, or hosting providers' custom panels is, financially, a much better option.
    But since @Lee said that, currently, the free cPanel hosting is for testing the platform, so in that case it's all right (for me) to use/test it for free.

@WSS said:
    If you're used to CloudLinux+cPanel, DA is actually not all that different these days for the end user - even the grouping of specific tasks is similar.

CloudLinux + Softaculous + a third-party Backup/Restore plugin are the things that I think most people want in shared hosting control panels.

@dahartigan said:
    Did you just assume his gender agenda?

No agenda, sorry :)

• @Lee said: We will see what people lean towards, DA or cPanel.

Too early to tell? I definitively prefer DA, though there's a couple of features not present (yet) ... :)

• @flips said:

@Lee said: We will see what people lean towards, DA or cPanel.

Too early to tell?

Cpanel without a doubt.

• WSSWSS OGRetired

@Lee Tits, or ass?

• Ass.

Thanked by (1)WSS
  • WSSWSS OGRetired

@Lee said:
    Ass.

Thanked by (2)Lee AlSwearengen

• @Lee said:

@flips said:

@Lee said: We will see what people lean towards, DA or cPanel.

Too early to tell?

Cpanel without a doubt.

Thought it might be so, as only DA is listed/available.

• LeeLee OG
    edited March 2020

@flips said: Thought it might be so, as only DA is listed/available.

Indeed, all existing cPanel locations are oversubscribed. I really wasn't expecting it to be so, imbalanced. Since the cPanel options were removed signups have plummeted. Not that I care about numbers but it's kind of odd, the people that said "fine with DirectAdmin" are the ones asking "will there be any cPanel accounts available soon?"

Customers are the most fickle fuckers in the world :)

So considering opening back up the UK and one other location with cPanel just to reduce the noise from customers.

Thanked by (1)IV__
  • @Lee said:

@flips said: Thought it might be so, as only DA is listed/available.

Indeed, all existing cPanel locations are oversubscribed. I really wasn't expecting it to be so, imbalanced. Since the cPanel options were removed signups have plummeted. Not that I care about numbers but it's kind of odd, the people that said "fine with DirectAdmin" are the ones asking "will there be any cPanel accounts available soon?"

Customers are the most fickle fuckers in the world :)

So considering opening back up the UK and one other location with cPanel just to reduce the noise from customers.

Huh, making noise for a free service ... And for wanting cPanel, with older versions of software and lots of inherited weirdness. So many daily things are easier to do in DA, IMHO ... =)

Thanked by (1)vimalware
  • LeeLee OG
    edited March 2020

@flips said:
    Huh, making noise for a free service ... And for wanting cPanel, with older versions of software and lots of inherited weirdness. So many daily things are easier to do in DA, IMHO ... =)

Well, I get it. I mean, the fact is the general hosting populous know cPanel, regardless of what anyone here who is savvier on this type of thing thinks. Few end-users know or care about older this or weirdness that. It works, for most the real question is "what the hell is DirectAdmin? I don't need or want it, there is cPanel".

Something that most in these types of forums forget to do, step outside and realize that most hosters are not technical, they just know how to 'work a website' using cPanel.

• WSSWSS OGRetired

@Lee said:
    Something that most in these types of forums forget to do, step outside and realize that most hosters are not technical, they just know how to 'work a website' using cPanel.

Not really. They're the burden of our tickets every day.

• @WSS said: Not really. They're the burden of our tickets every day.

Are they paying what you ask? They are entitled to open those tickets?

• WSSWSS OGRetired

@Lee said:

@WSS said: Not really. They're the burden of our tickets every day.

Are they paying what you ask? They are entitled to open those tickets?

I have nothing to do with that; I'm just a paper shifting monkey.

• @Lee said:

Most of my customers are even more clueless, have no clue as to the distinctions between domain name, hosting, servers, websites ... It's all just stuff they need nerds like me to take care of ... ;)

Thanked by (1)WSS
  • @flips said:
    Most of my customers are even more clueless, have no clue as to the distinctions between domain name, hosting, servers, websites ... It's all just stuff they need nerds like me to take care of ... ;)

Which is how it should be right? people pay for a service that they don't know to do themselves.

Thanked by (1)flips
  • @Lee said:

@flips said:

Which is how it should be right? people pay for a service that they don't know to do themselves.

Make sense to me. :) Some of my customers that have a bit more knowledge, often have wasted more money, not knowing what they were buying (f.ex. buying hosting packages, when only needing registrar services).

Thanked by (1)Lee
  • WSSWSS OGRetired

@flips said:

WHY YOU BLOCK leet.php?! I NEED SHELL I NO ASK FOR!

Thanked by (1)flips