Do network mesh devices actually work?

I want to cover a house of 2 levels and I don't want cables involved.

What would be the best device for that?

Tagged:

Comments

• We use TP-Link AX3000 and TP-Link AC1200. We have a 3000 sqft house with 2 levels. Works fine for us.

Thanked by (3)Chievo imok vr10

Madcityservers LLC

• @Madcityservers do you have a link for them? I get confusing results, multiple devices named ax3000

• NekkiNekki OG
    edited August 2023

My TP Link Deco mesh setup works fine, I get solid signal two floors up and in a room at the bottom of the garden.

I had a Linksys Velop setup before that and it was hot garbage. Constant disconnects, poor connectivity on the child nodes, support were useless.

Thanked by (3)bdl imok vr10
  • @imok said:
    @Madcityservers do you have a link for them? I get confusing results, multiple devices named ax3000

Here you go
    https://www.tp-link.com/us/home-networking/wifi-router/archer-ax3000/

Thanked by (1)imok

Madcityservers LLC

• Ubiquiti Unifi

The all seeing eye sees everything...

• edited August 2023

The problem with mesh networks is that they can yield poor performance, because data must be replicated back and forth between access points.

It matters how far the signal travels between access points, too. If you are near the end of the range between two of the access points, then everything in the WiFi network slows down a lot. We had a setup like that in our house, which is long and skinny. Two access points were close to the end of their practical range, slowing data rates down. After a couple years of slow WiFi, I pulled Ethernet cables into all the rooms of the house, terminated at a switch in the office (bedroom) closet. We connected each access point to the Ethernet network and set them up as a bridge. The Ethernet connection made a huge difference in WiFi performance over the mesh style network which relied on WiFi between the access points.

Scanning the neighbors' WiFi networks for overlapping WiFi channels and avoiding those channels made a big performance improvement, too.

If you can't pull Ethernet cable, have you considered using powerline ethernet adapters? They won't give you Ethernet speeds, but yield better performance than a mesh network.

Thanked by (2)Not_Oles yoursunny
  • Deco M5 FTW

• Gosh, the two Ubiquiti AC Pro's we have are pretty thorough.

• rskrsk Hosting Provider

@terrorgen said:
    Ubiquiti Unifi

Yes, I really do recommend those. Been working really for me!

• jfreak53jfreak53 Hosting Provider

There's a learning curve, but Mikrotik Audience. 2 separate 5g antennas, one runs on a high frequency for the purpose of the mesh.

But if you setup capsman on a primary Mikrotik router it works seamlessly for hopping between APs.

microtronixdc.com - Colocation, Dedicated Servers, Full-Rack options, VPS. John 3:16 - Jesus Saves!!
    Massive Network Bandwidth options with Fiber throughout, up to 100Gbps connections! Always-On DDoS Mitigation for all traffic!

• D-Link COVR-1102

• I just deployed a TP-Link Deco system with 3 units at my mother's house with minimal guidance. So far no complaints about speeds or signal strength for the 1/3rd acre they live on with multiple buildings and a sizable yard.

Thanked by (3)FrankZ vr10 imok

Cheap dedis are my drug, and I'm too far gone to turn back.