Suggestions for a hackerspace network

foxonefoxone OG
edited September 2023 in General

Hey!

Remember that crazy idea of buying a warehouse i opened a topic about? https://lowendspirit.com/discussion/5362/what-should-i-do-with-a-110m²-warehouse/p1

I finally bought a BIGGER ~130m² building to make a hackerspace and now I'm wondering about how to setup the network there. Ideally, the space will have some only-pay-electricity colocation space and internal services (proxmox backup server with tape backup, Proxmox VMs, nextcloud, peerbox, sbc colo, cdn, postgres database, video cards for AI/ML training... ???).
Additionally, a couple of friends with AS reached to me, wanting to do BGP and setup a small IXP over there.

My current idea is:

WAN (redundancy + load balancing):

• 2.5/1.0 gbit fiber (dynamic IP)
  • Backup 5G network (up to 600mbit i believe) (dynamic IP)
  • coming soon, symmetrical 10gbit network (the PoP is 800mt away, need for work to finish)
    All the ISPs i use are at the Caldera/MIX-IT IXP :)

Networks:

• Public = 172.20.0.0/14 "public" dn42 address (no need for port forwarding, you just need to peer with dn42 to access the network from outside)
  • Guest = internal ip (192.168.42.0/24) with peer isolation, firewall, also WAN is a VPN (connections do not exit from the actual WAN ip)
  • Local (trusted) = 192.168.44.0/24 (or bigger) no peer isolation, exits with hackerspace dynamic IP

These will also be broadcasted via Wi-FI.

Port forwarding / reverse proxying can be done by reverse proxy in milan with static IP, port forwarding on dynamic will be enabled in local (upnp).

But...

What equipment should i use? I am experienced with Unifi and Openwrt, but I honestly haven't done much in the last 2-3 years and didn't keep up with the news. Friend suggested to use Microtik, but last time i used it I remember it was quite user-unfriendly.

What is the cool cheap and good stuff? Since the network is 2.5gbit, it would be nice to have a fast wireless. Perhaps, some hidden gem that DCs are getting rid of?

Also, is the network idea solid? Or is there something i am overseeing?

Thanked by (1)Ympker

Comments

• Openwrt is premium.
    Easy to configure a second WAN with failover if the first dies.

As long it has a DHCP server, you can throw anything behind it as a WAN GW.

• you need a visit from @FlorinMarian

Thanked by (1)benz
  • @ehab said: you need a visit from @FlorinMarian

Add @Calin to the road-trip. ;)

Thanked by (1)Calin
  • @benz said:

@ehab said: you need a visit from @FlorinMarian

that would look like

• @benz said:

@ehab said: you need a visit from @FlorinMarian

No profit only fun :)
    But membership fee might come with free complimentary 1u colocation 😅

@Neoon said:
    Openwrt is premium.
    Easy to configure a second WAN with failover if the first dies.

As long it has a DHCP server, you can throw anything behind it as a WAN GW.

The second wan still has a lot of bandwidth to spare, though, and would be a shame to only use as backup, I wonder if I should use something like https://www.openmptcprouter.com/ or I risk increasing latency or having a poorer network.

• Nice congrats for the purchase!!!

Dentistry is my passion

• foxonefoxone OG
    edited September 2023

@Chievo said:
    Nice congrats for the purchase!!!

Thanks ^^
    Ironically i was in competition with a dentist, but he was on vacation and i was faster making a decent proposal to the seller :)

Thanked by (1)Chievo
  • @foxone said:

@Chievo said:

Thanks ^^
    Ironically i was in competition with a dentist, but he was on vacation and i was faster making a decent proposal to the seller :)

Funk the dentist hahahaha Well done! idealista.it ?

Dentistry is my passion

• @Chievo said:

@foxone said:

@Chievo said:

Thanks ^^

Nope, sadly local real estate company (they took 3k oof)

• @foxone said:

@Chievo said:

@foxone said:

@Chievo said:

Thanks ^^

Damn that people is everywhere like mosquitoes haha

Dentistry is my passion

• @Chievo said:

@foxone said:

@Chievo said:

@foxone said:

@Chievo said:

Thanks ^^

Damn that people is everywhere like mosquitoes haha

They also seem to not like invoices and paying taxes. Guy pushed very strongly to only have a third (!!) of the payment invoiced, and the rest as cash. Told them i won't budge and only pay if they gave me a proper proforma with vat.

• Congratulations on your purchase. What you need should be based on what you wish to achieve. I would recommend a datacentre, but please keep in mind the price of electricity going up, recession, possible corrupted politicians and many other aspects which generate uncertainty for long term future.

I honestly recommend a datacentre only if you can allow DMCA content and freedom of speech. These things sell like crazy during recession periods since people will need to relieve stress. I guess this is why others were recommending advice from providers of Romania.

Anyway, congratulations and lots of success! I can't wait to see more offers posted here.

How are you... online?

• Fox can you please supply your latency to c1v DC?

• @root said:
    Congratulations on your purchase. What you need should be based on what you wish to achieve. I would recommend a datacentre, but please keep in mind the price of electricity going up, recession, possible corrupted politicians and many other aspects which generate uncertainty for long term future.

I honestly recommend a datacentre only if you can allow DMCA content and freedom of speech. These things sell like crazy during recession periods since people will need to relieve stress. I guess this is why others were recommending advice from providers of Romania.

Anyway, congratulations and lots of success! I can't wait to see more offers posted here.

Electric bill is going down in Spain at least from 0.23 euros ( winter 2022-23) per KWH i am paying 0.13 right now.

Dentistry is my passion

• @crotaphiticus said:
    Fox can you please supply your latency to c1v DC?

PING c1vhosting.it (152.89.170.12) 56(84) bytes of data.
    64 bytes from cp.c1vhosting.it (152.89.170.12): icmp_seq=1 ttl=
    52 time=40.9 ms
    64 bytes from cp.c1vhosting.it (152.89.170.12): icmp_seq=2 ttl=
    52 time=33.9 ms
    64 bytes from cp.c1vhosting.it (152.89.170.12): icmp_seq=3 ttl=
    52 time=34.8 ms
    64 bytes from cp.c1vhosting.it (152.89.170.12): icmp_seq=4 ttl=
    52 time=34.4 ms
    64 bytes from cp.c1vhosting.it (152.89.170.12): icmp_seq=5 ttl=
    52 time=34.7 ms