Suggestions for a hackerspace network
Remember that crazy idea of buying a warehouse i opened a topic about? https://lowendspirit.com/discussion/5362/what-should-i-do-with-a-110m²-warehouse/p1
I finally bought a BIGGER ~130m² building to make a hackerspace and now I'm wondering about how to setup the network there. Ideally, the space will have some only-pay-electricity colocation space and internal services (proxmox backup server with tape backup, Proxmox VMs, nextcloud, peerbox, sbc colo, cdn, postgres database, video cards for AI/ML training... ???).
Additionally, a couple of friends with AS reached to me, wanting to do BGP and setup a small IXP over there.
My current idea is:
WAN (redundancy + load balancing):
- 2.5/1.0 gbit fiber (dynamic IP)
- Backup 5G network (up to 600mbit i believe) (dynamic IP)
- coming soon, symmetrical 10gbit network (the PoP is 800mt away, need for work to finish)
All the ISPs i use are at the Caldera/MIX-IT IXP
- Public = 172.20.0.0/14 "public" dn42 address (no need for port forwarding, you just need to peer with dn42 to access the network from outside)
- Guest = internal ip (192.168.42.0/24) with peer isolation, firewall, also WAN is a VPN (connections do not exit from the actual WAN ip)
- Local (trusted) = 192.168.44.0/24 (or bigger) no peer isolation, exits with hackerspace dynamic IP
These will also be broadcasted via Wi-FI.
Port forwarding / reverse proxying can be done by reverse proxy in milan with static IP, port forwarding on dynamic will be enabled in local (upnp).
What equipment should i use? I am experienced with Unifi and Openwrt, but I honestly haven't done much in the last 2-3 years and didn't keep up with the news. Friend suggested to use Microtik, but last time i used it I remember it was quite user-unfriendly.
What is the cool cheap and good stuff? Since the network is 2.5gbit, it would be nice to have a fast wireless. Perhaps, some hidden gem that DCs are getting rid of?
Also, is the network idea solid? Or is there something i am overseeing?