[POLL] Should links to Low End Box offers be removed from all LES threads ?

SystemSystem Administrator
edited October 2023 in General
This discussion was created from comments split from: Looking for cheaper VPS within 1$/mo.

In the above request thread the below discussion evolved regarding whether of not member links to LEB/ColoCrossing providers should be allowed on LES. My policy up to this point has been

Although It is true that LES does not grant provider tags to providers renting their equipment out of ColoCrossings, or providers that have had scammy operations in the past. I normally will only remove member recommendations in a request thread, if the member is associated with the provider, does not have a tag, and/or the provider has been involved in scam operations in the past. IE: No RackNerd.


Based on the below comments, it would seem that a poll and some discussion on the subject is in order.

Note: Poll results will not effect, or change, the current rules regarding Provider tags and Offers from providers that operate out of a ColoCrossing DC.
--
  1. Should links to Low End Box offers be removed from all LES threads ?81 votes
    1. Yes
      46.91%
    2. No
      53.09%
  2. Should links to offers hosted at ColoCrossings be removed from LES threads81 votes
    1. Yes
      66.67%
    2. No
      33.33%
«1

Comments

  • cccccc
    edited October 2023

    [redacted]p=/store/custom-packages/leb-1gb-annual-plan

  • tetechtetech OG
    edited October 2023

    @ccc said:
    [redacted]rp=/store/custom-packages/leb-1gb-annual-plan

    Aren't they a ColoCrossing provider?

  • edited October 2023

    @tetech said:

    @ccc said:
    [redacted]p=/store/custom-packages/leb-1gb-annual-plan

    Aren't they a ColoCrossing provider?

    Correct, @FrankZ could you remove?

  • dosaidosai OG
    edited October 2023

    @fluttershy said:

    @tetech said:

    @ccc said:
    [redacted]=/store/custom-packages/leb-1gb-annual-plan

    Aren't they a ColoCrossing provider?

    Correct, @FrankZ could you remove?

    Why remove?

  • FrankZFrankZ Moderator
    edited October 2023

    @fluttershy said:

    @tetech said:

    @ccc said:
    [redacted]p=/store/custom-packages/leb-1gb-annual-plan

    Aren't they a ColoCrossing provider?

    Correct, @FrankZ could you remove?

    I could, but should I ?
    Although It is true that LES does not grant provider tags to providers renting their equipment out of ColoCrossings, or providers that have had scammy operations in the past. I normally will only remove member recommendations in a request thread, if the member is associated with the provider, does not have a tag, and/or the provider has been involved in scam operations in the past. IE: No RackNerd

    Of course it really is up to community, maybe it is time for a poll ?

    Thanked by (1)bikegremlin

    I am currently traveling in mostly remote areas until sometime in April 2024. Consequently DM's sent to me will go unanswered during this time.
    For staff assistance or support issues please use the helpdesk ticket system at https://support.lowendspirit.com/index.php?a=add

  • edited October 2023

    @FrankZ said:

    @fluttershy said:

    @tetech said:

    @ccc said:
    [redacted]p=/store/custom-packages/leb-1gb-annual-plan

    Aren't they a ColoCrossing provider?

    Correct, @FrankZ could you remove?

    I could, but should I ?
    Although It is true that LES does not grant provider tags to providers renting their equipment out of ColoCrossings, or providers that have had scammy operations in the past. I normally will only remove member recommendations in a request thread, if the member is associated with the provider, does not have a tag, and/or the provider has been involved in scam operations in the past. IE: No RackNerd

    Of course it really is up to community, maybe it is time for a poll ?

    I'm 99% sure that CloudServer is one of ColoCrossing's "shadow brands" like HVH or similar, where it's just CC behind the scenes. Not sure if this makes it count as a "scam" host or not.

  • Honestly nope. We didnt actively remove links to LES on OGF either. I always think we should be equal so we remains healthy.

    As usual everyone should do their due diligence before buying something.

  • FrankZFrankZ Moderator
    edited October 2023

    I have redacted the LEB link in the above comments and split the thread into a separate discussion and poll regarding the subject.

    Thanked by (1)bikegremlin

    I am currently traveling in mostly remote areas until sometime in April 2024. Consequently DM's sent to me will go unanswered during this time.
    For staff assistance or support issues please use the helpdesk ticket system at https://support.lowendspirit.com/index.php?a=add

  • cybertechcybertech OGBenchmark King
    edited October 2023

    for people who know about LEB and CC it's not a problem.

    for those who don't, how can they make informed decision?

    maybe something like posting affiliate and non affiliate links, an indication that "hey this is LEB or CC, this is their history just so you know" kind of message might be helpful.

    we can also perhaps find the answer by looking back at why LES was formed.

    conclusion, not a yes or no but buyers should be informed.

    Thanked by (3)FrankZ cxg bikegremlin

    I bench YABS 24/7/365 unless it's a leap year.

  • FrankZFrankZ Moderator

    @FAT32 said:
    Honestly nope. We didnt actively remove links to LES on OGF either. I always think we should be equal so we remains healthy.

    As usual everyone should do their due diligence before buying something.

    Personally I agree with you. As I stated above, removing these links has not been my policy, but after multiple members asked me to, I felt it was time for a discussion on the subject.

    Recent relations between LET and LES have become much better, and I would like to keep things going in that direction because I see it as beneficial to the membership in general. This poll is not about links to discussions on LET and I see no benefit to removing links to LET discussions, just because they are links to LET.

    It is a discussion directed at ColoCrossing provider links. Since Jon and LET no longer have any direct involvement in ColoCrossing my thinking is having this discussion should not affect the relationship between LET and LES.

    Thanked by (3)FAT32 bikegremlin ccc

    I am currently traveling in mostly remote areas until sometime in April 2024. Consequently DM's sent to me will go unanswered during this time.
    For staff assistance or support issues please use the helpdesk ticket system at https://support.lowendspirit.com/index.php?a=add

  • Just because the website/datacenter hosts a lot of bullshit offers doesn't mean all from there are bullshit. So I am against it. Let the host make their case and you can vote with your money. Do not let LES die out becuase LET has more/better/lower offers. No one cares about reliability when they see a super low offer. It is only AFTER they pay, they start to care (look at virmach thread).

    So if you like the host and s/he is reliable, allow them to post offers both on LEB/LET and use whatever datacenter they want. That's the way for them to keep low low prices and get more people onboard to maintain their service.

    Artificial intelligence is no match for our natural stupidity.
    Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.

  • @cybertech :
    for people who know about LEB and CC it's not a problem.

    for those who don't, how can they make informed decision?
    ...
    we can also perhaps find the answer by looking back at why LES was formed.

    I don't know about the relations between LEB and CC. And I also don't know why LES was formed.
    Voted "No" fot both questions because I want to see good offers. But of course I don't want to be scammed. Hints from members saved me from buying a cheap offer. But often you have to read between the lines and being a newbie and not a regular at the forum makes that really hard.

    TLDR
    I can not make an informed decision but still want the best offers and scam protection.

    Thanked by (1)FrankZ
  • @cxg said: I can not make an informed decision but still want the best offers and scam protection.

    You say things like "good offers" and "best offers" but then say you want scam protection. Are you saying you don't want to see these cheap shit offers where there's even money they don't last for the year you pay for?

    Thanked by (1)bikegremlin
  • CC offers should not be here. Forum was founded on this rule and it is the reason some of us have moved here.

    LEB offers hurt no one unless they violate the rule. Those again should not be here no matter where they came from.

    A provider that has CC locations should be allowed here if they pass the provider tag requirements but, not allowed to post CC locations.

    Might be a good thing to post something in the rules about this for new people and possibly link to the reasons for it.

    URL Shortener | YetiNode | Come join us on the MetalVPS IRC channel!!! | LaunchVPS | Are you in the Node?

  • FrankZFrankZ Moderator

    @AuroraZero said: Might be a good thing to post something in the rules about this for new people and possibly link to the reasons for it.

    The About page and an associated link on that page pretty much covers the back story of LES.

    I am currently traveling in mostly remote areas until sometime in April 2024. Consequently DM's sent to me will go unanswered during this time.
    For staff assistance or support issues please use the helpdesk ticket system at https://support.lowendspirit.com/index.php?a=add

  • Two things I do not like:

    a. Providers posting offers from CC DCs. This is already covered in the rules and I would be opposed to any change to those rules. In fact, for transparency, I would like to see each provider say which DC their offer is in, not just the city.

    b. If LES just becomes a "collection point" for links from LET/LEB. Some providers have said they don't come to LES because there's no incremental benefit, and if everything from LET/LEB is just going to get re-posted here, it reinforces that impression. I am not saying there should be at war, but LES should stand on its own two feet and not just be a satellite.

    I do not see a need to zealously remove every non-CC LET link, especially when it is made in direct response to someone's request. But it should not reach the point of third parties creating new discussions just to re-post LET offers... that would suck.

  • @AuroraZero said: LEB offers hurt no one unless they violate the rule. Those again should not be here no matter where they came from.

    I know they've tried to clean things up but as far as I'm concerned that place is forever tainted. I won't touch hosts featured there.

  • @skorous said:

    @cxg said: I can not make an informed decision but still want the best offers and scam protection.

    You say things like "good offers" and "best offers" but then say you want scam protection. Are you saying you don't want to see these cheap shit offers where there's even money they don't last for the year you pay for?

    The deal is neither good nor best when it is unsustainable for the provider.
    But a provider can offer deals without making a profit (or even at a loss) for marketing reasons. If the providers business is otherwise profitable then I would like to see the deal posted on LES.

  • My stance is strict and extremist.

    No ColonCrossing.
    No JBitchlo.
    No Providers located in ColonCrossing.
    Any provider that is here that uses ColonCrossing - Instant permaban.

    Keep that cancerous shit out of this forum and leave it on the scam website that is OGF.

    Cheap dedis are my drug, and I'm too far gone to turn back.

  • @CamoYoshi said:
    My stance is strict and extremist.

    No ColonCrossing.
    No JBitchlo.
    No Providers located in ColonCrossing.
    Any provider that is here that uses ColonCrossing - Instant permaban.

    Keep that cancerous shit out of this forum and leave it on the scam website that is OGF.

    I have to agree 120%!!!
    And I am even worse: I have real trouble with some "people" playing both sides!

    Thanked by (3)Not_Oles FrankZ CamoYoshi
  • Once VirMach left there, I stopped lurking there and moved here and found the community better. I do not even open their pages anymore as I have no need.

    while there are some memes (i truly hate them) this forum is not as polluted with them like the other.

    I enjoy the offers offered here much more as it is not flooded with the old "summer host" offers that the OGF was plagued with when CC promised resellers frontpage mentions to anyone who rents servers from them, I feel for a few of them because they were recommended by LEB. and it hurt, I feel for all the people that got scammed by their previous owners.

    I agree that links to submissions on LEB get banned, as the majority of them include CC offers. LET links to non-CC offers should be ok.

  • Fuck LET and LEB.
    LET is filled with corruption, a fraudster with ongoing court case is allowed to do business with userbase he once scammed, but BilohBucks are paid and its all that matters.

  • @System said: Poll results will not effect..

    Affect. ;)

    Thanked by (3)FrankZ _MS_ bikegremlin

    It wisnae me! A big boy done it and ran away.
    NVMe2G for life! until death (the end is nigh)

  • Some good discussion/views here.
    I'll make one point: LES was not created to provide free links/marketing/SEO to LET/LEB.
    I'll leave y'all to expand on/ponder that, with all it's implied meaning.

    It wisnae me! A big boy done it and ran away.
    NVMe2G for life! until death (the end is nigh)

  • @AlwaysSkint said:

    @System said: Poll results will not effect..

    Affect. ;)

    AlwaysSkint 1 - 0 System

    Thanked by (1)FrankZ
  • LMFTFY

    @MS said: AlwaysSkint 10 - 0 System

    :-D

    Thanked by (1)_MS_

    It wisnae me! A big boy done it and ran away.
    NVMe2G for life! until death (the end is nigh)

  • @AlwaysSkint said:
    I'll make one point: LES was not created to provide free links/marketing/SEO to LET/LEB.

    So you think it would be good some kind of war between green forums :o

    "He sounds like hearing him say to the liquor merchant: you who sell it what buys you better ?"
    F. De André --- Free NAT KVM

  • Not_OlesNot_Oles Hosting ProviderContent Writer
    edited October 2023

    @AlwaysSkint said:
    Some good discussion/views here.
    I'll make one point: LES was not created to provide free links/marketing/SEO to LET/LEB.
    I'll leave y'all to expand on/ponder that, with all it's implied meaning.

    its 😉

    I hope everyone gets the servers they want!

  • @Not_Oles said:

    @AlwaysSkint said:
    Some good discussion/views here.
    I'll make one point: LES was not created to provide free links/marketing/SEO to LET/LEB.
    I'll leave y'all to expand on/ponder that, with all it's implied meaning.

    its 😉

    And "meanings", since "all" exists :smiley:

    Thanked by (3)FrankZ skorous bikegremlin

    For domain registrations, create an account at Dynadot (ref) and spend $9.99 within 48 hours to receive $5 DynaDollars!
    Looking for cost-effective Managed/Anycast/DDoS-Protected/Geo DNS Services? Try ClouDNS (aff).

Sign In or Register to comment.