Solus.io decides to burn the market down with new pricing

FranciscoFrancisco Hosting ProviderOG
edited February 2020 in Industry News

https://solus.io/prices/

At $6.00/month per core you're talking $48.00/month for a 8c/16t processor.

For comparison, OnApp is $12.00/month per core and normal SolusVM is $10.00/month per node no matter the configuration.

While there's no mention of what their plans are for SolusVM v1, common opinion is they get to feature parity (basically supporting OpenVZ) and then sunsetting it.

Francisco

Comments

• They likely force you to migrate after some time and drop the support.

• FranciscoFrancisco Hosting ProviderOG

@Neoon said:
    They likely force you to migrate after some time and drop the support.

I figure that or just a cross the board ramp on SVM1 licenses.

I just don't see that many providers moving to a product like Solus.IO, especially anyone in this market.

Francisco

• So, get everyone in, sunset SolusVM, increase to $10+ per month, per core?

But again, depends on the final feature set as to whether it has a value at that price point. But ultimately what are you going to do, if there is no other real option.

@Lee said:
    So, get everyone in, sunset SolusVM, increase to $10+ per month, per core?

But again, depends on the final feature set as to whether it has a value at that price point. But ultimately what are you going to do, if there is no other real option.

I suspect they'll leave SVM1 alone but 2x-3x the price on all licenses.

Francisco

• LeeLee OG
    edited February 2020

@Francisco said: I suspect they'll leave SVM1 alone but 2x-3x the price on all licenses.

Will be interesting to see how it plays out, I can't see them making it that easy even if SVM1 remains, more like near parity so it leaves no option but to convert, it's all about the money now after all.

• qpsqps Hosting ProviderOG

WHMCS is next.

Thanked by (3)ChrisMiller Falzo imok
  • @qps said:
    WHMCS is next.

Wait for it, they gonna charge for each account + service.

Thanked by (1)Falzo
  • Why does anyone use this stuff? Do the existing alternatives have significant deficiencies? I understand how cpanel has a crapton of features, but whmcs and solus don't seem that complicated.

• @willie said: whmcs and solus don't seem that complicated

Indeed, that is why there are so many alternatives out there.

• @willie said:
    Why does anyone use this stuff? Do the existing alternatives have significant deficiencies? I understand how cpanel has a crapton of features, but whmcs and solus don't seem that complicated.

Whmcs is pretty solid when it comes to most of the required functionalities and custom mod.

No one uses ClientExec. Blesta is still a baby.

Solus, idk why anyone would not switch to virtualizor....

• WSSWSS OGRetired
    edited February 2020

The only reason any of the shit exists because it's so easy for clients to move between them - same as cPanel. Plesk is a much better product, but it's not as easy for clients to use after used to cPanel.

My pronouns are like/subscribe.

• Yikes

RamNode: High Performance Cloud VPS
    NYC - LA - ATL - SEA - NL - DDoS Protection

• SMARTHOSTSMARTHOST Hosting ProviderOG
    edited February 2020

That would be like a 8x-12x price increase for decent dual cpu nodes.
    Too high of an increase for most low end providers to absorb, so they will hemorrhage clients if they force it.
    No different outcome than CPanel situation was though...they loose a lot of clients, but the ones that stay and pay the hefty price increase will end up raising their revenue overall, and they will have less support load on top of that to handle.
    That screws over alot of the clients that got Solus where it is today, but the new owners of course don't give a damn about that.

I'm still hoping they keep SolusVM going, at much lower/reasonable pricing, and just let it die a slow death, instead of forcing an upgrade. That might go a long way to building/retaining clients, making things a bit less painful. We won't pay the 8x-12x increase ourselves, not gonna happen, as it is cheaper just for us to hire our own full programmer at that point. Obviously there are other solutions on the market, but who's to say they aren't the next acquisition target... ;-(

~ SMARTHOST

SmartHost™ - Intelligent Hosting! - Multiple Locations - US/EU! - Join our Resale Program
    https://www.smarthost.net - sales@smarthost.net - Ultra-Fast NVME SSD KVM VPS - $2.95/month!

• jarlandjarland Hosting ProviderOG
    edited February 2020

Not as bad as I was expecting. If you're licensing software and don't have significant margins to be able to eat it, hopefully you've already been working toward Independence for some time now. We've all known these products were only going up.

Proxmox licensing looking a little closer to sane for the low end?

Thanked by (2)Lee Falzo

Do everything as though everyone you’ll ever know is watching.

@SMARTHOST said: I'm still hoping they keep SolusVM going, at much lower/reasonable pricing, and just let it die a slow death, instead of forcing an upgrade.

I'm assuming they've spent a lot of time and money to get Solus.IO going.

I suspect SVM1 will go up 2x+ in cost for the legacy stuff.

Francisco

• AK_KWHAK_KWH Hosting ProviderOG

Next virtualizor wait for it also

KhanWebHost Cheap Shared Hosting | Cheap KVM VPS (DE,UK,US,FR) | KVM Sale - LES Offers

• @jarland said: Proxmox licensing looking a little closer to sane for the low end?

Free version is basically as-good as the paid, but it's not very end user-friendly. Licensing just gets you the 'enterprise' stable repo, but you can get the same result by holding back on the free updates a bit.

Apparently all of the WHMCS integrations, etc are garbage though.

Thanked by (3)WSS jarland Falzo

🦍🍌

• WSSWSS OGRetired

ModulesGarden is basically paying to shit in your own face, and that's when it actually fucking works.

Thanked by (3)Clouvider Lee AlSwearengen

My pronouns are like/subscribe.

@AK_KWH said:
    Next virtualizor wait for it also

There's no reason for them not to increase to similar pricing to SVM1. Again, their team is fairly small and I don't think they want to have to hire a massive support team to take all of the SVM1 refugees.

@Harambe said:

@jarland said: Proxmox licensing looking a little closer to sane for the low end?

Free version is basically as-good as the paid, but it's not very end user-friendly. Licensing just gets you the 'enterprise' stable repo, but you can get the same result by holding back on the free updates a bit.

Apparently all of the WHMCS integrations, etc are garbage though.

There's only 2 public modules and they're...ugh. I've helped a few friends with both and they're just terrible.

I helped one friend try to get the Modulegardens one to work and it simply refused.

Francisco

• NyrNyr OG
    edited February 2020

Fleio seems like an interesting alternative, although of course it is not a drop-in replacement. Owned by a private company with very low chances of being acquired (the IntoVPS guys). Haven't checked it out, but should be a decent piece of software.

In other slightly interesting news... Oakley Capital seems to be using fake reviews in Google to counteract their very negative reputation after the cPanel fiasco.

Thanked by (2)Ympker uptime
  • jarlandjarland Hosting ProviderOG
    edited February 2020

@Nyr said:
    Fleio seems like an interesting alternative, although of course it is not a drop-in replacement. Owned by a private company with very low chances of being acquired (the IntoVPS guys). Haven't checked it out, but should be a decent piece of software.

In other slightly interesting news... Oakley Capital seems to be using fake reviews in Google to counteract their very negative reputation after the cPanel fiasco.

I think Fleio is what @Nick_A is using. It's good stuff.

The perfect panel is sitting right over at lunanode, almost feels a shame the hardware is mediocre and prices low. Like a diamond in the rough. Prep that bad boy for licensing and watch people throw money at it.

Thanked by (2)vimalware uptime

Do everything as though everyone you’ll ever know is watching.

• Came for the news... stayed for the premium commentary..

ModulesGarden is basically paying to shit in your own face

Ionswitch.com | High Performance VPS in Seattle and Dallas since 2018

• avelineaveline Hosting ProviderOG

LOL.

Time to move on.

Thanked by (1)Francisco

Misaka.io | Blazing fast AnyCast DNS with 60+ POPs GeoDNS, AXFR, DNSSEC supported.
    And Reliable high-performance virtual server | Ashburn, New York, Seattle, San Jose, Hong Kong, Tokyo, Singapore, São Paulo, Johannesburg

ping.sx | Ping any server from global locations in parallel

• InceptionHostingInceptionHosting Hosting ProviderOG

If $6 p/month per core is what gets me to a Vultr/hetzner cloud style end user experience I am ok with that.

If $6 per core is a rewritten v1 then no thanks, I already know that this is not the plan/case but you never know what the end product will actually look like.

I don’t think they will touch v1 pricing and I don’t think they will even bother with a v1 migration path, it will be 2 separate offerings, one for budget and one for enhanced.

Thanked by (1)Lee

https://inceptionhosting.com
    Please do not use the PM system here for Inception Hosting support issues.

• As an end user, I find lobster (LunaNode's panel) a beauty to use. I don't know about WHMCS integration or monthly/annual billing, though. https://github.com/LunaNode/lobster

Thanked by (1)Ympker
  • Does anyone really have to run solus on more than a single core? Is it that slow, and have they found a way to cash in on it being slow?

• SMARTHOSTSMARTHOST Hosting ProviderOG

@willie said:
    Does anyone really have to run solus on more than a single core? Is it that slow, and have they found a way to cash in on it being slow?

The licensing cost refers to the VPS nodes, not the management interface server.

SmartHost™ - Intelligent Hosting! - Multiple Locations - US/EU! - Join our Resale Program
    https://www.smarthost.net - sales@smarthost.net - Ultra-Fast NVME SSD KVM VPS - $2.95/month!

• We all know they will touch SolusVM 1.x pricing, it's just what they do. Time for the investors to get their money back.

BillingServ - Easy, simple, and hassle-free online invoicing solution. Contact us today.
    BaseServ Certified to ISO/IEC 27001:2013

• @SMARTHOST said: The licensing cost refers to the VPS nodes, not the management interface server.

Wait what? You want to host VM's on an 8 core box which is maybe $50/month these days and they want another $48 for solus? Yeah ok, not gonna work. People complain about Virtualizor but there have to be more alternatives out there.

Thanked by (1)Ympker