Utilising integrated GPU via Remote Desktop

NekkiNekki OG
edited December 2023 in General

I'm trying to get a dedicated server with an integrated GPU to utilise it for Remote Desktop activities to reduce the CPU when running 3D apps and video. I've been messing about with this for days and nothing seems to make any difference.

As far as I can tell I have everything I need installed for an Intel GPU, and xorg's logging suggests the GPU is recognised and GPU acceleration is enabled for glamor but it's still using software rendering for everything.

I'm using the NoMachine server on the dedi with LXDE for the desktop.

I'm getting the feeling what I'm trying to do isn't actually feasible for whatever reason, so any guidance would be appreciated.

Comments

• What OS?

URL Shortener | YetiNode | Come join us on the MetalVPS IRC channel!!! | Don't be a jerk, let YetiNode do the work.

• @AuroraZero said:
    What OS?

Debian

My continuing investigation suggests that VirtualGL might be the solution, but at the moment I don't have it working properly.

• @Nekki said:

@AuroraZero said:
    What OS?

Debian

My continuing investigation suggests that VirtualGL might be the solution, but at the moment I don't have it working properly.

Give me a few minutes I am just about done writing a paer for class and I will throw out some suggestions.

Thanked by (1)Nekki

URL Shortener | YetiNode | Come join us on the MetalVPS IRC channel!!! | Don't be a jerk, let YetiNode do the work.

• NekkiNekki OG
    edited December 2023

VirtualGL was the answer, needed to install and configure it, then tell NoMachine to use it - now the 3D apps are using the GPU.

Firefox isn't yet, so I still need to figure that out.

• Okay let's start here what do the xorg logs say?

• @AuroraZero said:
    Okay let's start here what do the xorg logs say?

they say "fuck you"

youtube.com/watch?v=k1BneeJTDcU
    All of my VMs: https://nodecheck.net/s/otusibrc/

• @Otus9051 said:

@AuroraZero said:

they say "fuck you"

hmmm interesting

• @AuroraZero said:

Logs are clean, the only errors are related to fbdev and visa which don't make any difference here.

After properly configuring VirtualGL the Remote Desktop now reports the GPU as the renderer in glxinfo (instead of llvmpipe) and 3D apps are working so I think the base config is fine. From a quick google, the issue with Firefox might be app specific, I'm going to uninstall ESR and grab the latest stable build and see if that makes a difference I can see some earlier versions of Firefox had issues with VirtualGL.

• @Nekki said:

@AuroraZero said:

Logs are clean, the only errors are related to fbdev and visa which don't make any difference here.

After properly configuring VirtualGL the Remote Desktop now reports the GPU as the renderer in glxinfo (instead of llvmpipe) and 3D apps are working so I think the base config is fine. From a quick google, the issue with Firefox might be app specific, I'm going to uninstall ESR and grab the latest stable build and see if that makes a difference I can see some earlier versions of Firefox had issues with VirtualGL.

Entirely possible I don't use FF anymore. I left it about 20 iterations ago. If that does not work try an earlier version and see if it is a bug. They may have inadvertanly broken something in recent upgrades and no-one has caught it yet.

• @AuroraZero said:

@Nekki said:

@AuroraZero said:

Entirely possible I don't use FF anymore. I left it about 20 iterations ago. If that does not work try an earlier version and see if it is a bug. They may have inadvertanly broken something in recent upgrades and no-one has caught it yet.

Chromium works so I guess something's not working in Firefox so I'm falling back to OpenGL there - that's OK, I don't really care which browser I use.

Next is video playback.

• @Nekki said:

@AuroraZero said:

@Nekki said:

@AuroraZero said:

Chromium works so I guess something's not working in Firefox so I'm falling back to OpenGL there - that's OK, I don't really care which browser I use.

Next is video playback.

Good luck man if you need anything let me know maybe I will be able to help out :wink:

• @AuroraZero said:

@Nekki said:

@AuroraZero said:

@Nekki said:

@AuroraZero said:

Next is video playback.

Good luck man if you need anything let me know maybe I will be able to help out :wink:

Thanks, brother, much appreciated.

• @Nekki said:

@AuroraZero said:

@Nekki said:

@AuroraZero said:

@Nekki said:

@AuroraZero said:

Next is video playback.

Thanks, brother, much appreciated.

Anything for right hand man

• 400448849-120202329676640615-1108688107442994195-n

Thanked by (1)bikegremlin

• @AuroraZero said:
    400448849-120202329676640615-1108688107442994195-n

Classic. I made it all the way to Oregon once.

• @Nekki said:

@AuroraZero said:

Only once? Damn you must not have been drunk enough

• @AuroraZero said:

@Nekki said:

@AuroraZero said:

To be fair, I was playing the arcade one where the controls are busted and it moves at super speed

• @Nekki said:

@AuroraZero said:

@Nekki said:

@AuroraZero said:

To be fair, I was playing the arcade one where the controls are busted and it moves at super speed

Oh yeah the borken arcade joystick defese almost forgot that one

• bikegremlinbikegremlin ModeratorOGContent Writer

@Otus9051 said:

@AuroraZero said:

they say "fuck you"

Why this?

Take it easy.

Relja of House Novović, the First of His Name, King of the Plains, the Breaker of Chains, WirMach Wolves pack member
    BikeGremlin's web-hosting reviews

• NekkiNekki OG
    edited December 2023

Applied to same changes to my old Terrahost server, got everything running through the GPU but performance is substantially worse (although CPU usage is basically nothing) and there are now issues with the resolution, so I’m going to have to roll everything back. Ho hum.

• Have you tried Virgl? Its performance isn't too bad and results in lower CPU usage.
    Also unlike VirtualGL you don't have to fiddle with Xorg settings.

I've used it a few times with a VNC server, I can't see why it wouldn't work with NoMachine.

All you have to do is start a Virgl server in the background and specify the GALLIUM_DRIVER=virpipe environment variable for the applications that need 3D acceleration.
    I've had success with it running Chromium and Firefox.

For example for running Firefox with 3D acceleration:

$ virgl_test_server --use-egl-surfaceless --rendernode /dev/dri/renderD128 &
    $ GALLIUM_DRIVER=virpipe firefox

virgl_test_server comes with the virgl-server package on Debian.

Make sure the user running the Virgl server is part of the render and video group.

• @Murv said:
    Have you tried Virgl? Its performance isn't too bad and results in lower CPU usage.
    Also unlike VirtualGL you don't have to fiddle with Xorg settings.

I haven't - NoMachine specifically has a setting to enable VirtualGL support for the entire desktop which is how I got turned on to it, but this might be a better workaround as there are reasonable number of apps that don't work when managed that way. I'll give it a shot on the Terrahost box where having Xorg installed seems to mess up the way the desktop runs for reasons I've yet to ascertain.