Heimdall: An open-source personal email guardian

I came across this piece of OSS that could be useful for some of you: [Link] / [Github]

In broad strokes, here's a summary of what Heimdall does:

• Heimdall is a self-hosted email alias/forwarding service
  • It's a self-hosted and self-managed service, you have complete control over your data

It allows you to:
1. Receive safely: Receive emails on single-use aliases and forward them to your personal inbox.
2. Reply anonymously: Reply to emails from your alias without revealing your personal email address.
3. Attachments: Attachments are supported on incoming and outgoing emails (subject to size limits - see below).
4. Email commands: Manage your aliases through email directly - no separate app or website required.
5. Usage stats: Easily check the usage stats of each alias.

Disclaimer: I have nothing to do with this project. I read the article and wanted to know what you think of it.

Tagged:

Comments

• Pre-requisites: You need to own a domain and have an AWS account.

No issue with needing to own a domain, but it would be nice if it weren't AWS-dependent

"A single swap file or partition may be up to 128 MB in size. [...] [I]f you need 256 MB of swap, you can create two 128-MB swap partitions." (M. Welsh & L. Kaufman, Running Linux, 2e, 1996, p. 49)

• @angstrom said: but it would be nice if it weren't AWS-dependent

I presume they've done it this way to prevent forwarded emails being marked as spam?

• @Mr_Tom said:

@angstrom said: but it would be nice if it weren't AWS-dependent

I presume they've done it this way to prevent forwarded emails being marked as spam?

Possibly. I haven't yet looked at it closely enough, but the AWS requirement does significantly restrict the set of potential users

"A single swap file or partition may be up to 128 MB in size. [...] [I]f you need 256 MB of swap, you can create two 128-MB swap partitions." (M. Welsh & L. Kaufman, Running Linux, 2e, 1996, p. 49)

• I agree. I haven't looked through the code but I would assume AWS could be replaced with something else for relaying the mail - it would be better if it was handled as part of the initial config though.

• edited February 2020

Easily confused with the popular self-hoster's web gateway

https://github.com/linuxserver/Heimdall

Thanked by (1)uptime
  • BlaZeBlaZe Hosting ProviderOG

Been using a similar method via MXRoute.

Thanked by (1)uptime

ExoticVM.com - Find VPS in exotic locations!