Hardware Poll - What brand servers do you prefer?

NathanCore4NathanCore4 Services Provider

Curious what Server brands most are using in LES and why you prefer it.

Server Hardware Poll
  1. What brand of servers do you primarily use?33 votes
    1. Dell
      36.36%
    2. SuperMicro
      42.42%
    3. Gigabyte
        0.00%
    4. HP
        9.09%
    5. IBM
        0.00%
    6. Other (Comment!)
      12.12%

Comments

• Gigabyte and IBM offering servers to the size of business most are running here? Fujitsu, Lenovo etc. are missing too.

Thanked by (1)NathanCore4
  • NathanCore4NathanCore4 Services Provider

@webcraft said:
    Gigabyte and IBM offering servers to the size of business most are running here? Fujitsu, Lenovo etc. are missing too.

Yea, I would add those and a few more but looks like poll is locked after posting.

• RapToNRapToN Hosting ProviderOG

An interesting topic. As I work for a large number of customers with their own mini data center, I have already dealt with several manufacturers and it would be difficult to say who my favorite manufacturer is. However, I have decided in favor of HP, as my own company relies almost exclusively on their hardware.

But I am sure which manufacturer I don't like at all and would like to hear your opinions/experiences (I don't know if they are also represented outside of Germany): Wortmann AG (Terra Computer)
    Am I the only one with bad experiences with Wortmann/TERRA or does this also affect others?

• NathanCore4NathanCore4 Services Provider

@RapToN said:
    An interesting topic. As I work for a large number of customers with their own mini data center, I have already dealt with several manufacturers and it would be difficult to say who my favorite manufacturer is. However, I have decided in favor of HP, as my own company relies almost exclusively on their hardware.

But I am sure which manufacturer I don't like at all and would like to hear your opinions/experiences (I don't know if they are also represented outside of Germany): Wortmann AG (Terra Computer)
    Am I the only one with bad experiences with Wortmann/TERRA or does this also affect others?

I've never heard of Wortmann AG (Terra Computer). Doesn't look like they make it to US market. What was the bad experience with them?

• Lenovo

• HosteroidHosteroid Hosting Provider

Cisco servers are missing also :)

• @Hosteroid said:
    Cisco servers are missing also :)

Apple and OrangePi are missing as well, or don't we compare those?

Thanked by (1)yoursunny
  • AdvinAdvin Hosting Provider
    edited December 2023

In my opinion, Gigabyte is usually the most flexible out of the bunch, in terms of things like memory support, custom BIOS support, etc (based on my experience with using them for EPYC)

I am a representative of Advin Servers

• SuperMicro's use (in some lines) of standard form factors like SSI-EEB make it easier to swap parts and frankenserver when needed.

• host_chost_c Hosting Provider
    edited December 2023

Dell4Life, at least for the moment, and for the past 5 years.

Why? - because :

I divorced HP, the "give me money to update the BIOS" did not go well, why should anyone pay for a BIOS update, for fixes you fuked up in the first place for example? wtf?

Super-micro is not that present in EU.

Lenovo or FSC - I did not like them, we did not click :)

CISCO - for Network definitely yes, but I am not that obsessed with the brand to get their "servers", they do look like HP by the way.

The rest of the bunch is Desktop in 1/2/3/4U case, that is like a home-build, I will not trust my customers data on PC Brand "Servers" - No offense for those that use them, this is my opinion, and I stick to it.

EDIT:

So the other providers don't think I am dick. ( i know, sometimes i might be )

I worked at a pc assembly and sales company from 18 to ±26/27 of my age. I was the service department chief for the last 5 years of my work there.

Asus and Gigabyte were the preferred brands by customers. I do not know their server line, but I definitely hate their PC Desktop line/Laptops, even the premium ones. For me these 2 brands are consumer grade, and from here is the lack of trust in them.
    Many years have passed since then, maybe they do good, but I never touched their products again after the fiasco I saw at quality level back then. Even in laptops for myself I get Panasonic CF series or GETAC. I am fed up with the "consumer" brands for the next lifetimes I have.

Host-C - VPS Services Provider - AS211462

"If there is no struggle there is no progress"

• Fujitsu servers are not bad.