Domain reselling with Namecheap

I recently started reselling Namecheap domains with their WHMCS addon. It's going smoothly, but I have a question; when users sign up on my site to buy a domain, Namecheap uses the same address for the domain registration. Do I have to keep changing the email and phone number manually on Namecheap's dashboard every time? This could be a problem if users get notifications from Namecheap about the domain they bought from us.

Success is not just a destination; it's a journey of growth, learning, and resilience. 🚀🌱

Comments

• edited January 30

Why did you choose NameCheap as your domain reseller? Was the attraction their pricing or something more than that.

I always thought that NameCheap was mainly geared to being a direct-to-consumer provider, and that they didn't target resellers much.

• @Joseph said: Why did you choose NameCheap as your domain reseller?

I have several reasons for choosing Namecheap. Firstly, they have excellent customer support. They also provide free whois protection, forwarding, and DNS management. The pricing also appears fair, and I haven't found any other reseller offering these features at a lower cost.

Success is not just a destination; it's a journey of growth, learning, and resilience. 🚀🌱

• I don't think there is a way around this. When scoping out services we could use to sell domains, Namecheap was on the list to check out but we didn't choose them for the same reasoning.

The Namecheap reseller program isn't a proper reseller per se. It's just a API that allows you to bill domains to other people via your account. You could probably look at modifying the information sent from the WHMCS addon to the Namecheap API but in my opinion, more work than it is worth.

Thanked by (1)linveo
  • @SharedGrid said: The Namecheap reseller program isn't a proper reseller per se.

Agreed! They also don't consider themselves as domain sellers; it's just the API, though. Could you suggest a cheaper reseller for .com/.net/.org?

• edited January 30

If you're using WHMCS, you're entitled to claim a eNom 'premium' reseller account which works out slightly cheaper than Namecheap (minus the initial Namecheap 'sales' that seem to continuously run).

More info here: https://www.whmcs.com/free-domain-reseller-account/

I think you have to initially top up your account with $25 but this is then used against any domain registrations you make.

We use eNom, pricing is good - dashboard is meh, but most of what you do will be inside WHMCS anyway.

Thanked by (1)someTom
  • @SharedGrid said: We use eNom, pricing is good - dashboard is meh, but most of what you do will be inside WHMCS anyway.

I don't know why people say to stay away from them, but I'll check it out. Cosmotown has the best prices I could find. However, they have some big requirements. You need to put in $100, already have 10 domains registered, and spend at least $50 before you can use their API.

• @Rambo said:
    I don't know why people say to stay away from them, but I'll check it out.

They have made some questionable decisions in the past, but they seem to be the largest and used by many web hosts.

Do WHMCS have a addon available for Cosmotown? I haven't used WHMCS in years so not sure what domain registrar integrations they offer these days. The best idea is probably seeing what addons are available for WHMCS and weighing up the pros and cons for each reseller. Unless, of course, you're wanting to create your own module ;)

• edited January 30

@Rambo said:

@SharedGrid said: The Namecheap reseller program isn't a proper reseller per se.

Agreed! They also don't consider themselves as domain sellers; it's just the API, though. Could you suggest a cheaper reseller for .com/.net/.org?

Register.com Partner Program (or SRSPlus).

https://partnerships.register.com/

• edited February 1

NameCheap is great, but not very suited for resellers.
    https://www.openprovider.com/ is great for that, once you start making some volume, their "at cost" plans are extremely nice.