Comments

• edited May 24

@legendary said: Nice drama unfolds on ogf

Nicely preserved teh drama for those, who might be looking to compare mailbaby vs mailchannels in the future:

1. https://archive.is/UYGCD
    2. https://archive.is/IGa9n

Further pages will be added once they're ripe enough.

Thanked by (3)legendary Wolveix vyas
  • about fukin time for LowEndDrama. that self-involucrate is pure comedy

Fuck this 24/7 internet spew of trivia and celebrity bullshit.

• Yikes. Tell-tale sign when all of the pricing cards are "Contact us" but a targeted post intended to undercut and shame a competitor now offering min. $500 is disappointing.

• I've switched from Mailbaby to Mailchannels, because clients started to phone me for many false-positives.

• bikegremlinbikegremlin ModeratorOGContent Writer

When you hear what a person says about other people, the often tells you a lot about the person talking.

From my perspective (single, non profit user):
    Mailchannels seem expensive, while Mail.baby has a strange DNS policy that requires disclosing the hosting server's IP address, which isn't perfect if you hide it behind the Cloudflare's firewall. So, I'm sticking with MXroute.

Relja of House Novović, the First of His Name, King of the Plains, the Breaker of Chains, WirMach Wolves pack member
    BikeGremlin's web-hosting reviews

• @bikegremlin said:
    Mail.baby has a strange DNS policy that requires disclosing the hosting server's IP address, which isn't perfect if you hide it behind the Cloudflare's firewall. So, I'm sticking with MXroute.

That’s an unusual and disappointing policy. I can potentially see why they have it, but surely a better way would be to permit providing sender IPs in a control panel rather than in public SPF records.

Thanked by (1)bikegremlin
  • skhronskhron Hosting Provider

@adly said:

@bikegremlin said:
    Mail.baby has a strange DNS policy that requires disclosing the hosting server's IP address, which isn't perfect if you hide it behind the Cloudflare's firewall. So, I'm sticking with MXroute.

That’s an unusual and disappointing policy. I can potentially see why they have it, but surely a better way would be to permit providing sender IPs in a control panel rather than in public SPF records.

I see no reason for IP address based access control (at least by default) as long as there is SMTP authentication. Don't know if this is a case for mail.baby and if not, what is the rationale.

• @bikegremlin said:
    From my perspective (single, non profit user):
    Mailchannels seem expensive, while Mail.baby has a strange DNS policy that requires disclosing the hosting server's IP address, which isn't perfect if you hide it behind the Cloudflare's firewall. So, I'm sticking with MXroute.

Though, MXRoute is a different product type/use case than mail.baby/MailChannels.

Thanked by (1)bikegremlin
  • @Amadex said:
    I've switched from Mailbaby to Mailchannels, because clients started to phone me for many false-positives.

What are you paying for MailChannels?

• @skhron said:

@adly said:

@bikegremlin said:

I see no reason for IP address based access control (at least by default) as long as there is SMTP authentication. Don't know if this is a case for mail.baby and if not, what is the rationale.

I agree overall, however (and I may be wrong/outdated) I believe while they provide a SMTP account to authenticate with, you can use that account to send from any domain. As such, I believe this is their attempt at ensuring you are authorised to send mail from that domain.

• skhronskhron Hosting Provider

@adly said: believe while they provide a SMTP account to authenticate with, you can use that account to send from any domain.

This is something very horrible if true.

• edited June 17

@skhron said:

@adly said: believe while they provide a SMTP account to authenticate with, you can use that account to send from any domain.

This is something very horrible if true.

I mean given the SPF requirement it isn’t possible in practice, but I don’t believe the SMTP account itself is restricted.

For what it’s worth, I also believe this is true of MailChannels unless you enable “Domain Lockdown” which they added when the issue was raised publicly (here).

Thanked by (1)skhron
  • That's the kind of threads that I miss for not visiting the OGF

Thanked by (1)vyas
  • bikegremlinbikegremlin ModeratorOGContent Writer

@adly said:

@skhron said:

@adly said:

@bikegremlin said:

I agree overall, however (and I may be wrong/outdated) I believe while they provide a SMTP account to authenticate with, you can use that account to send from any domain. As such, I believe this is their attempt at ensuring you are authorised to send mail from that domain.

I asked a few months ago, because I was considering to use mail.baby for my forum email service.

If it's changed in the mean time, that is good. Based on the info I have - IP address must be disclosed in your DNS.

Relja of House Novović, the First of His Name, King of the Plains, the Breaker of Chains, WirMach Wolves pack member
    BikeGremlin's web-hosting reviews

• imokimok OG
    edited June 17

Now I want to use Mail.baby

• @Joseph said:

@Amadex said:
    I've switched from Mailbaby to Mailchannels, because clients started to phone me for many false-positives.

0.15$ per 1000 mails

• edited June 17

@Amadex said:

@Joseph said:

@Amadex said:

0.15$ per 1000 mails

You were required to provide MailChannels proof that you were a preexisting mail.baby customer?

• @Joseph said:

@Amadex said:

@Joseph said:

@Amadex said:

0.15$ per 1000 mails

You were required to provide MailChannels proof that you were a preexisting mail.baby customer?

MC is typical corporate America. If you ‘dress pretty’ (i.e. appear exploitable), they’ll provide good value rates. That’s not to say it is what occurred or the only way, but everyone should know what kind of arrangement they’re entering into with MC.

• @DataRecovery said: Nicely preserved teh drama

Thanks for the reminder, guys. The rest of the story:

1. page 3: https://archive.is/CcYAU
    2. page 4: https://archive.is/87gdl

To make the archive of Mail Channels CEO Ken Simpson controversy even more complete, here's a screenshot of his MailChannels vs Mail.baby switch offer:
    MailChannels vs Mail.baby switch offer

@Joseph said:

According to the screenshot above, there is a required checkbox, which says "I confirm that I am an existing MailBaby customer and will send my last three invoices within 30 days to complete my enrollment in the promotion".

• @Amadex said:

We are an event management platform and great email deliverability is a big requirement because attendees to events must receive emails with invites and tickets from registration etc.

We are considering switching from Mandrill/Mailchimp to MailChannels so I am more interested in the deliverability than in the drama although I will take the drama into consideration when deciding.

How is your experience with MailChannels so far?

404 Error: Signature Not Found

• edited June 25

@vitobotta said:
    We are considering switching from Mandrill/Mailchimp to MailChannels so I am more interested in the deliverability than in the drama although I will take the drama into consideration when deciding.

Why would you take the drama into any consideration in deciding?

• @Joseph said:

@vitobotta said:

Just because I don't like anyway the way the MailChannels CEO has advertised their service by talking shit of a former partner and now competitor. But at the end of the day we have a problem with deliverability and MailChannels has a great reputation for that. Are there other known services known for their deliverability?

• @vitobotta said:

@Joseph said:

@vitobotta said:

Just because I don't like anyway the way the MailChannels CEO has advertised their service by talking shit of a former partner and now competitor. But at the end of the day we have a problem with deliverability and MailChannels has a great reputation for that. Are there other known services known for their deliverability?

Why are you considering alternatives to your current Mandrill/Mailchimp service?

• @Joseph said:

@vitobotta said:

@Joseph said:

@vitobotta said:

Why are you considering alternatives to your current Mandrill/Mailchimp service?

People often complain that they don't receive invites and tickets for events and our domain reputation is high and we are not blacklisted anywhere AFAIK, so we are trying to figure out what's going on. I have been thinking of trying some other SMTP relay to see if the problem is with Mandrill. But there is also the problem of corporate firewalls, which are a PITA. Sometimes companies block emails from unknown domains and that affects us too.

• @vitobotta said: People often complain that they don't receive invites and tickets for events and our domain reputation is high and we are not blacklisted anywhere AFAIK, so we are trying to figure out what's going on. I have been thinking of trying some other SMTP relay to see if the problem is with Mandrill. But there is also the problem of corporate firewalls, which are a PITA. Sometimes companies block emails from unknown domains and that affects us too.

Not personally used Mandrill but same company as Mailchimp who offer's marketing email services spam filters at major provider seem to a bit over sensitive with marketing mail not sure if Mandrill uses the same IP range that might be a part of the issue.

I've personally used Amazon SES deliverable seem fine not had any customers complaining about missing emails saying that am a low volume sender so with a larger volume sender issues might come apparent.

A quick look at my inbox quite a number of high volume senders seem to be using Sendgird with dedicated IP, other providers I've heard is good not used a more costly option postmark, a other option not used them but I know of someone who uses it and seem to like it Oracle Cloud email delivery .

• @vitobotta said:
    People often complain that they don't receive invites and tickets for events

Depending on where you are (hence messenger popularity), consider creating a Telegram bot for that.