1984: Google, Cloudflare & Cisco Will Poison DNS to Stop Piracy Block Circumvention

bikegremlinbikegremlin ModeratorOGContent Writer

A French court has ordered Google, Cloudflare, and Cisco to poison their DNS resolvers to prevent circumvention of blocking measures, targeting around 117 pirate sports streaming domains. The move is another anti-piracy escalation for broadcaster Canal+, which also has permission to completely deindex the sites from search engine results.

https://torrentfreak.com/google-cloudflare-cisco-will-poison-dns-to-stop-piracy-block-circumvention-240613/

Relja of House Novović, the First of His Name, King of the Plains, the Breaker of Chains, WirMach Wolves pack member
BikeGremlin's web-hosting reviews

Comments

• What is the down-side to this?

• bikegremlinbikegremlin ModeratorOGContent Writer

@Joseph said:
    What is the down-side to this?

Just corporations deciding what we can and can't find on the Internet. I'm sure it has some pros as well - if one child is saved...

Thanked by (2)treesmokah Talistech

Relja of House Novović, the First of His Name, King of the Plains, the Breaker of Chains, WirMach Wolves pack member

• They can suck my dick. ControlD + NextDNS supremacy

Thanked by (4)skorous Talistech Calin Ouji
  • otusdns soon

Thanked by (1)yoursunny

youtube.com/watch?v=k1BneeJTDcU

@mikewazar said:
    They can suck my dick. ControlD + NextDNS supremacy

That is not important. Most folks will rely on the "standard" stuff (their ISP's DNS, or maybe Google or Cloudflare).
    Same goes for the Google search results.

So it is blocked for practically all practical purposes.

• edited June 17

@Joseph said:

You will own nothing and be happy.
    You vill eat ze bugs too.

But seriously, if you don't see a problem with handing so much power to random corporations(that don't and will never act in your best interest), you have to like being a slave. Today its piracy, tomorrow its your favorite politically-incorrect blog. Nobody, not even the Government should control what is allowed on the Internet, and these popular DNS resolvers are how 99% of the world does domain resolution.
    DNS resolvers should be as neutral as possible, they don't host any content and In my opinion these court orders are bullshit, the fact this is allowed to "fly" proves how courts are corrupt and can be bought by DMCA mafia.
    France, Germany and Italy - the most corrupt European countries, where freedom is illegal.

• @bikegremlin said:

@Joseph said:

Just corporations deciding what we can and can't find on the Internet. I'm sure it has some pros as well - if one child is saved...

But it says "A French court has ordered ...", so what am I missing? You don't like the laws or you don't like the court's decision?

• edited June 17

Are these DNS blocking only implemented for French Internet users by these DNS companies or do they implement the blocking worldwide?

• @Joseph said:
    Are these DNS blocking only implemented for French Internet users by these DNS companies or do they implement the blocking worldwide?

Australia has been doing this shit for years. It'll probably be regional where ordered by judge.

• @treesmokah said:

@Joseph said:

But seriously, if you don't see a problem with handing so much power to random corporations[...]

Which this story has nothing to do with. It's not something the evil mega-corps are deciding to do, it's something imposed by government.

@ahnlak said:

@treesmokah said:

@Joseph said:

But seriously, if you don't see a problem with handing so much power to random corporations[...]

Which this story has nothing to do with. It's not something the evil mega-corps are deciding to do, it's something imposed by government.

Yeah... right.

• @bikegremlin said:

@ahnlak said:

@treesmokah said:

@Joseph said:

Yeah... right.

But... if Google and friends wanted to do it, why would a French court waste the time ordering them to do it? I mean you don't see court orders telling McD's to sell fries.

• YmpkerYmpker OGContent Writer
    edited June 17

Chat Scanning/Control is also still on the table: https://stopscanningme.eu/en/

• well... at least they know what to DNS-block
    unlike certain (ahem) countries... you have to guess. No prizes won if you guessed right but heavy fines (and lost favours) if you don't.

The all seeing eye sees everything...

Thanked by (1)_MS_

• edited June 19

@cmeerw said:

@bikegremlin said:

@Joseph said:

But it says "A French court has ordered ...", so what am I missing? You don't like the laws or you don't like the court's decision?

At the request of multi-billion streaming gigant Canal+
    With such power and money, surely "Govt" things are a bit easier ;)

Of course its just a conspiracy theory, I would never call French Government corrupt. (I would)
    Good thing their Justice Minister is getting some Justice served https://www.nytimes.com/2023/11/08/world/europe/france-justice-minister-corruption-trial.html but I'm sure a few shekels can fix it.

Thanked by (1)bikegremlin