wireguard VPN in China

cybertechcybertech OGBenchmark King
edited July 7 in Help

which is the best location to jump firewall?

simply to access Google , Netflix and Facebook.

not referring to those with premium direct CN network, just the usual VPS locations.

will be using it with Hotel Wifi.

I bench YABS 24/7/365 unless it's a leap year.

Comments

• edited July 7

Use https://www.itdog.cn/ping/8.8.8.8 to check for packet loss across different regions in China (green button with recurring symbol)
    Strongly recommend CN2 or at least China optimized VPS.

Packet loss on standard European, Hongkong and Taiwan VPS usually bad.

Thanked by (1)cybertech
  • havochavoc OGContent Writer

I thought GFW does DPI so even with a anon location it may not work?

• cybertechcybertech OGBenchmark King

@havoc said:
    I thought GFW does DPI so even with a anon location it may not work?

i tried twice in China

first time Japan VPN got blocked

recent second time JPN, HK, SG VPN all worked, but JPY and HK felt choppy, perhaps packet loss.

• Typically wireguard won't work in China,if you insist on using it,please use IPv6 instead of IPv4

edited July 7

@JonyBee said:
    Typically wireguard won't work in China,if you insist on using it,please use IPv6 instead of IPv4

it worked for me just last week over IPv4

• Can anyone guide me how to install nyr wireguard on ipv6 only vps ??

edited July 7

@lowendspiritxdax said:
    Use https://www.itdog.cn/ping/8.8.8.8 to check for packet loss across different regions in China (green button with recurring symbol)

not sure if im reading it right it seems SG is good at 33ms

HK should be best but it was choppy for me, however i was using it on an NAT OVZ vps.

• @cybertech said:

@lowendspiritxdax said:

not sure if im reading it right it seems SG is good at 33ms

HK should be best but it was choppy for me, however i was using it on an NAT OVZ vps.

SG is generally good indeed, they have direct lines to CN, now that you mention
    HK and TW often route their traffic through other continents before reaching CN, effectively making the web-browsing experience unusable
    (exception: CN2, China Optimized)

Thanked by (1)cybertech
  • When my acquaintance traveled to China at the beginning of the year, he said he could comfortably watch YouTube LIVE using ****Nerd's VPS on LA DC02 obtained for $10.88/year during BF2021. With their IP address (Multacom), can only watch Netflix Originals, but by using Cloudflare Warp, seem to be able to watch all videos available in the US.

Alternatively, a Tokyo VPS from VirMach

@tototo said:
    When my acquaintance traveled to China at the beginning of the year, he said he could comfortably watch YouTube LIVE using ****Nerd's VPS on LA DC02 obtained for $10.88/year during BF2021. With their IP address (Multacom), can only watch Netflix Originals, but by using Cloudflare Warp, seem to be able to watch all videos available in the US.

which is better from China - LA or SJ?

• @cybertech said:

@tototo said:
    When my acquaintance traveled to China at the beginning of the year, he said he could comfortably watch YouTube LIVE using ****Nerd's VPS on LA DC02 obtained for $10.88/year during BF2021. With their IP address (Multacom), can only watch Netflix Originals, but by using Cloudflare Warp, seem to be able to watch all videos available in the US.

which is better from China - LA or SJ?

Even when comparing with test IP on ping.pe, the results don't seem to differ much, but LA (Multacom) should be superior to SJ (****crossing). However, I believe LA02 was not included in ****Nerd's cheapest plan.

If you prioritize cost, NAT VPS + Cloudflare + v2ray would be less than $5 per year.

Thanked by (2)cybertech deepak_leb
  • You'd better think twice before going to China since more attacks to foreigners are happening. Xenophobia is incited by ccp, not to mention the extreme weather in hot summer.
    If you insist on going, I wish you safe.

https://www.reuters.com/world/four-american-educators-stabbed-park-northeast-china-says-us-media-officials-2024-06-11/
    https://asia.nikkei.com/Editor-s-Picks/China-up-close/Analysis-Tragedy-shows-China-s-anti-Japan-social-media-fire-burns-out-of-control
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Translation_Movement

Thanked by (3)yoursunny cybertech i4P1

MicroLXC is lovable. Uptime of C1V

• If wireguard is not mandatory, it is recommended that you are using hysteria 2 to get over the GFW, it is very fast and easy to use.

Thanked by (1)cybertech

Have the honor of being the crybaby who pays $20 for a 128MB VPS at VirMach in 2023.

@tulipyun said:
    If wireguard is not mandatory, it is recommended that you are using hysteria 2 to get over the GFW, it is very fast and easy to use.

thanks, is there like a one command install script i can use?

@bliss said:
    You'd better think twice before going to China since more attacks to foreigners are happening. Xenophobia is incited by ccp, not to mention the extreme weather in hot summer.
    If you insist on going, I wish you safe.

https://www.reuters.com/world/four-american-educators-stabbed-park-northeast-china-says-us-media-officials-2024-06-11/
    https://asia.nikkei.com/Editor-s-Picks/China-up-close/Analysis-Tragedy-shows-China-s-anti-Japan-social-media-fire-burns-out-of-control
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Translation_Movement

have already been there and was informed of the June 11 incident.

thanks for the heads up, guess it would be helpful to stay low profile while in the country and avoid places like Found158 in Shanghai :sweat_smile:

• @cybertech said:

@tulipyun said:
    If wireguard is not mandatory, it is recommended that you are using hysteria 2 to get over the GFW, it is very fast and easy to use.

thanks, is there like a one command install script i can use?

You can find the information you need at https://v2.hysteria.network/docs/getting-started/Server-Installation-Script/

Have the honor of being the crybaby who pays $20 for a 128MB VPS at VirMach in 2023.

• edited July 8

If you don't have CN premium routing on your servers, it all depends on the ISP you are using and the datacenter your servers are in. The 3 major ISPs (China Unicom, China Telecom and China Mobile) have very different global routing. For example, I have a VPS in Japan, the latency from CU is very low and there is almost no packet loss. But on CT, pinging it always gives me a result of 70%+ packet loss. You can also find locations (or datacenters) that are friendly to CT but not CU. Overall I think CU's global routing is the best of the three.

As for VPN, I don't recommend traditional VPN apps. WireGuard works but there are reports of it being blocked. Also it uses UDP which is often limited by ISPs. Traffic may be throttled if you use a fairly high bandwidth for a bit longer, like downloading files. Hysteria2 has a feature called 'port hopping' to help avoid this. You may also want to try some proxy servers/clients like sing-box and xray.

You can try using IPv6 if possible. Currently IPv6 has fewer restrictions, we usually say "the wall is lower on IPv6". Some proxy apps like shadowsocks, are much less likely to get blocked on IPv6. Also ISPs have much looser QoS policies on IPv6. I can use Hysteria2 on IPv6 without port hopping and not get throttled even when downloading large files, but it may still depend on the network you are using.

By the way, please make sure to set a fair bandwidth limit when using Hysteria2, some providers consider large amount of UDP traffic as attacks.

• edited July 8

@iKirby said:
    If you don't have CN premium routing on your servers, it all depends on the ISP you are using and the datacenter your servers are in. The 3 major ISPs (China Unicom, China Telecom and China Mobile) have very different global routing. For example, I have a VPS in Japan, the latency from CU is very low and there is almost no packet loss. But on CT, pinging it always gives me a result of 70%+ packet loss. You can also find locations (or datacenters) that are friendly to CT but not CU. Overall I think CU's global routing is the best of the three.

As for VPN, I don't recommend traditional VPN apps. WireGuard works but there are reports of it being blocked. Also it uses UDP which is often limited by ISPs. Traffic may be throttled if you use a fairly high bandwidth for a bit longer, like downloading files. Hysteria2 has a feature called 'port hopping' to help avoid this. You may also want to try some proxy servers/clients like sing-box and xray.

You can try using IPv6 if possible. Currently IPv6 has fewer restrictions, we usually say "the wall is lower on IPv6". Some proxy apps like shadowsocks, is much less likely to get blocked on IPv6. Also ISPs have much looser QoS policies on IPv6. I can use Hysteria2 on IPv6 without port hopping and not get throttled even when downloading large files, but it may still depend on the network you are using.

By the way, please make sure to set a fair bandwidth limit when using Hysteria2, some providers consider large amount of UDP traffic as attacks.

This. I would recommend you use US west location e.g. LA/SJ with Hysteria2 protocol for a stable experience.

If you insist on WireGuard, a random port script and AS4809/9929/58807 network is essential, otherwise you will be suffering from severe QoS.

It also depends on the province/city you visit, as GFW behaves differently across the country.

Thanked by (2)iKirby cybertech

appreciate the inputs so far. seems like hysteria2 is a must try next trip!

@iKirby hysteria2 doesnt work for android mobile?

• @cybertech said:
    @iKirby hysteria2 doesnt work for android mobile?

See 3rd-party apps section in the documentation, there are Android apps with hysteria2 support. I'm currently using sing-box (on servers and clients).

Thanked by (1)cybertech
  • @cybertech said:
    appreciate the inputs so far. seems like hysteria2 is a must try next trip!

hysteria2 is based on QUIC(UDP),you may suffer QOS heavily.besides hysteria2,you can try Xray ,VLESS+REALITY+XTLS-RPRX-VISION combination is a good choice.There are many client APPs support this,for Android I recomend V2rayNG,for Windows try V2rayN,for IOS you can try Shadowrocket.