HostMaxim is closing their operations

Hi all!

Today I received a notification from HostMaxim that they are closing their operations effectively from 27th May 2020

Pity, since I just managed to migrate my Virtualmin to their server. Now I have to do it again

Just a few days ago, WisHosting had one great offer which I didn't take since I thought the one from HostMaxim will last for a long time. Another pity

Not to mention that I cancelled my VPS which I had with BHost for a few years because of HostMaxim VPS. Third pity

Do you have some suggestion for a hosting provider who is stable for a long time now with the possibility that they will last longer?

Thanked by (1)uptime

Comments

• @mihha said:
    Do you have some suggestion for a hosting provider who is stable for a long time now with the possibility that they will last longer?

Nexusbytes
    BuyVM
    Hetzner

Thanked by (3)bikegremlin mihha seriesn
  • AK_KWHAK_KWH Hosting ProviderOG

Sad to hear this HostMaxim is closing their doors :)

What was your plan there Maybe we can offer you something similar in almost same budget

KhanWebHost Cheap Shared Hosting | Cheap KVM VPS (DE,UK,US,FR) | KVM Sale - LES Offers

• debaserdebaser OG
    edited April 2020

@mihha said:
    Today I received a notification from HostMaxim that they are closing their operations effectively from 27th May 2020

They had their ‘grand opening’ sale in February, so they lasted two months. Could be a lot worse I guess. At least they notified you.

It’s always hard in this business, I’m very happy with Nexusbytes but that’s a relatively young company as well so you still can’t be sure. Providers that have proven to be stable for years are: Liteserver, Hetzner, UltraVPS, BuyVM and Inception Hosting.

Thanked by (2)seriesn WSS
  • A darn shame really. Looks like they had good intentions but COVID happened which made everything fall apart. Really sad as HM-Michael seemed like a very nice guy and the services they provided looked affordable yet sustainable. They get major kudos in my book for properly notifying their customers that they were closing shop and not charging people for services being shut down.

Thanked by (2)verjin HM_Michael

Cheap dedis are my drug, and I'm too far gone to turn back.

• InceptionHostingInceptionHosting Hosting ProviderOG

Removed from list and tag removed.

HostMaxim was a part of a larger effort/think i believe: https://thewinterhillcompanies.com/ so maybe it will be back at some stage.

https://inceptionhosting.com
    Please do not use the PM system here for Inception Hosting support issues.

• @debaser said: At least they notified you.

Yes, I am very grateful about that

• @CamoYoshi said:
    A darn shame really. Looks like they had good intentions but COVID happened which made everything fall apart.

To be blunt: I don’t believe this is the main reason. This is a company that existed for 2-3 months. It has probably never been sustainable. In the short time they operated, they posted no less than 6 offers here on LES. So they probably depended on new customers coming from these.

They probably would’ve failed sooner or later. If anything, the pandemic probably only accelerated this. People losing their jobs, or otherwise making choices in what to buy or which services to subscribe to probably made dry up their new registrations.

Of course, needless to say: it’s terrible for HostMaxim, Michael and the other people involved. And annoying for customers that have to find a new hosting provider.

Thanked by (2)HM_Michael WSS
  • hostworldhostworld Hosting Provider
    edited April 2020

@mihha said:
    Hi all!

Pity, since I just managed to migrate my Virtualmin to their server. Now I have to do it again

Just a few days ago, WisHosting had one great offer which I didn't take since I thought the one from HostMaxim will last for a long time. Another pity

Not to mention that I cancelled my VPS which I had with BHost for a few years because of HostMaxim VPS. Third pity

It's a real shame they haven't been able to continue offering services. It's good that they've given plenty of notice to their customers to move away though, there's been plenty of companies in the past (as we know) who have just shut up shop and left their customers hanging with no backups etc.

We're obviously more than happy to support any HostMaxim customers effected by this. So please feel free to message us with the plan you have with them and we'll do our best to help you.

hostworld.uk - Web Hosting, Reseller Hosting, NVMe SSD VPS, Dedicated Servers & Domains. UK & US data centres & 24/7 UK support.

• @debaser said:

@CamoYoshi said:
    A darn shame really. Looks like they had good intentions but COVID happened which made everything fall apart.

To be blunt: I don’t believe this is the main reason. This is a company that existed for 2-3 months. It has probably never been sustainable. In the short time they operated, they posted no less than 6 offers here on LES. So they probably depended on new customers coming from these.

They probably would’ve failed sooner or later. If anything, the pandemic probably only accelerated this. People losing their jobs, or otherwise making choices in what to buy or which services to subscribe to probably made dry up their new registrations.

Of course, needless to say: it’s terrible for HostMaxim, Michael and the other people involved. And annoying for customers that have to find a new hosting provider.

It certainly wasn’t an easy decision. There were multiple reasons for the shutdown. We lost a decent amount of business in our managed services division, I took a 30% reduction in income personally (I still provide a small amount of funding for HostMaxim). HM was an attempt at diversifying the business, one that was starting to go well, but due to the pandemic went to crap.

Thanked by (2)bikegremlin CamoYoshi
  • @HM_Michael said:

It certainly wasn’t an easy decision. There were multiple reasons for the shutdown. We lost a decent amount of business in our managed services division, I took a 30% reduction in income personally (I still provide a small amount of funding for HostMaxim). HM was an attempt at diversifying the business, one that was starting to go well, but due to the pandemic went to crap.

Also a matter of timing... and the "L" (luck) factor. shit happens, sorry it happened with you. See you on the other side !! Take care.

Thanked by (1)HM_Michael
  • @kuroneko23 said:

@mihha said:

Nexusbytes
    BuyVM
    Hetzner

@debaser said:

@mihha said:

They had their ‘grand opening’ sale in February, so they lasted two months. Could be a lot worse I guess. At least they notified you.

It’s always hard in this business, I’m very happy with Nexusbytes but that’s a relatively young company as well so you still can’t be sure. Providers that have proven to be stable for years are: Liteserver, Hetzner, UltraVPS, BuyVM and Inception Hosting.

Thank you guys for the kind mentions :).

Just wanted to clear out a tiny details, as I do see this mentioned a lot.
    NexusBytes the company is about enjoy its 4th birthday ;).

For the first two year, we simply focused on offering IT services (office setup/hosting/loca networking etc) local accounting and retail businesses based out of Hartford, CT and Queens/BX/BK, NY.

We did enter the main stream hosting industry ~2 years ago and launched VPS product line early last summer :). We believe in scaling operation at a healthy pace to avoid burnout (telling this from previous experience).

We continue to learn and grow by studying the market and our amazing competitions, we not only respect but admire and adore for their success. We continue to learn from not only ours but others mistake.

It might sound cheesy, but every-time we see a host xyz shutting down, me and Roy would have a long discussion, dissecting that business and answering what was good, what went wrong and how can we secure ourself from repeating the wrong. Granted, no one has seen the future but we try our best to be future proof :)

Enough with “we “ . Being a lifetime entrepreneur and business consultant, it always saddens me to see new business die. Either due to circumstances or just for making bad decisions. This goes to any general business, not just hosting. :(

I do admire those who gives ample notices owns up to their fault and moves on for better reasons. There is no shame in failing and making mistakes, as long we have learnt from those. To err is human. Michael, I do wish you all the best man. If you ever need anything, I am here for you :).

Anyone looking for a refugee offer, please reach out to me. I will try my best to take care of you, as long as we both fulfill each other’s expectations :).

Thanked by (2)kuroneko23 lentro
  • WSSWSS OGRetired

You might be able to sell the domain and clients to another provider. Good luck, Michael.

Thanked by (1)yoursunny

My pronouns are like/subscribe.

• ReadyDedisReadyDedis Hosting ProviderOGServices Provider

We're providing refugee offers ( nothing crazy ) so if anyone is interested please contact us via [email protected]

• I’m currently in talks with another provider to acquire the clients. Updates coming soon.

• mikhomikho AdministratorOG

@HM_Michael said:
    I’m currently in talks with another provider to acquire the clients. Updates coming soon.

$7 ???
    :p

Thanked by (3)HM_Michael WSS Pwner

“Technology is best when it brings people together.” – Matt Mullenweg

• edited April 2020

@mikho said:

@HM_Michael said:
    I’m currently in talks with another provider to acquire the clients. Updates coming soon.

$7 ???

HAHA. I needed a bit of a laugh all things considered.

Thanked by (1)flips
  • mikhomikho AdministratorOG

@HM_Michael said:

@mikho said:

@HM_Michael said:

$7 ???

HAHA

On a serious note, if it doesn’t end well with the other provider. Let me know and we can talk.

Thanked by (1)HM_Michael

“Technology is best when it brings people together.” – Matt Mullenweg

• Dear Valued Customer,

Please be advised that the HostMaxim client base has recently been acquired by SmartHost, LLC (http://www.smarthost.net). SmartHost is a Web Hosting & Data Center Services provider, established in 1998, based in Henderson, Nevada, USA, with operations in the US and Europe.

SmartHost operates on the basis of providing very high-level customer service to our clientele, via one-on-one relationships we like to build. I would like to assure you that with SmartHost, you will continue to receive the same level of service HostMaxim provided you, if not better. SmartHost will NOT be raising prices, nor changing plans, and Smarthost will honor all accounts and offers already in place from HostMaxim existing clientele.

HostMaxim clientele will shortly have access to the full SmartHost suite of services including NVME SSD VPS, KVM/OpenVZ VPS, Linux/Windows VPS, Cloud Hosting, Storage VPS, Resource/Reseller Pool VPS, Dedicated Servers, & Co-Location, all available across our multiple service locations. Current service locations include: Jacksonville FL, Los Angeles CA, Dallas TX, Las Vegas NV, Piscataway NJ, Denver CO, Boston MA, Buffalo NY, Herndon VA, Chicago IL, Seattle WA, London UK, and Amsterdam NL... with more locations planned moving forward, including Atlanta GA, Singapore, and Sydney AU.

Over the next few weeks, SmartHost will be migrating your service to the Smarthost platform. The infrastructure to service the HostMaxim client base has been installed and ready for service. By default, we will be migrating the Florida-based VPS services to the nearby Jacksonville FL location, while UK services migrate to the SmartHost UK location. We hope to make this a smooth process behind the scenes for the client base. Should you have any interest in being hosted at one of the locations other than Florida or the UK, or wish for just a fresh account sooner without data migrated, please do reach out to SmartHost, and that can be arranged.

Please ensure to cancel any PayPal subscriptions you may have with HostMaxim, as you will set up new with SmartHost following the migration.

SmartHost looks forward to servicing the HostMaxim client base, and I think in a few months you will to look back on this and say that this was an acquisition that actually went smoothly and worked out for the best!

If you have any questions at all about the operational changes from the acquisition, or any questions about SmartHost, please do not hesitate to ask! SmartHost can be reached via email at [email protected], at which I think you will find SmartHost quite responsive.

• edited April 2020

That (the acquisition) was quick :)

"A single swap file or partition may be up to 128 MB in size. [...] [I]f you need 256 MB of swap, you can create two 128-MB swap partitions." (M. Welsh & L. Kaufman, Running Linux, 2e, 1996, p. 49)

• ndelaespadandelaespada Hosting ProviderOG

Glad clients were not left in the air.

Owned-Networks | VPS and Web Hosting for every project size and budget
    DAL - LEN - LA - SEA - NYC - MIA - AMS - LON

• That's good to see a peaceful end even I am not your customers. The doctor drama Still impressed me.

Thanked by (1)yoursunny

Action and Reaction in history

• Now let's hope SmartHost LLC doesn't deadpool. My main website is hosted there since the deadpool of WootHosting.

ServerFactory aff best VPS; HostBrr aff best storage.

• @yoursunny said:
    Now let's hope SmartHost LLC doesn't deadpool. My main website is hosted there since the deadpool of WootHosting.

I don’t think SmartHost will deadpool, the amount of time they’ve been around was part of the reason I sold the clients to them. Shawn runs a good ship over there.

Thanked by (1)AlwaysSkint
  • @HM_Michael said:
    Dear Valued Customer,

Please be advised that the HostMaxim client base has recently been acquired by SmartHost

Well, that’s good news! Glad you could work something out this quick.

• @HM_Michael said:

@yoursunny said:
    Now let's hope SmartHost LLC doesn't deadpool. My main website is hosted there since the deadpool of WootHosting.

I don’t think SmartHost will deadpool, the amount of time they’ve been around was part of the reason I sold the clients to them. Shawn runs a good ship over there.

I respect you for at least letting your customers know and not just dropping out and deadpooling like most.

Thanked by (1)HM_Michael
  • @hotlineservers said:

@HM_Michael said:

@yoursunny said:

I respect you for at least letting your customers know and not just dropping out and deadpooling like most.

I try to do the right thing in life. It’s easier to do things correctly, then damage my reputation by acting shady.

• nullroutenullroute Hosting Provider

I can offer you a good offer. DM please.

https://purplehost.com.br - Reliable, secure and affordable game hosting.

• @yoursunny said:

https://www.smarthost.net/acquisitions.php

For domain registrations, create an account at Dynadot (ref) and spend $9.99 within 48 hours to receive $5 DynaDollars!
    Looking for cost-effective Managed/Anycast/DDoS-Protected/Geo DNS Services? Try ClouDNS (aff).