WEEKDAY POLL: The Future of LES

Comments

• @root said:

@FrankZ said:

@Nekki said:

@FrankZ said:

@root said: This would mean labelling such people, which in their eyes would take away their freedom of expression and definition without labels.

But of course nobody sees it as a problem when we label threads, just because we dehumanize them first does it really make it some how better than labeling people ? We need to seriously ask our selves is it time to stop labeling threads. @Nekki time for another poll thread I think.

These are the real questions. Why won't anyone think of the mental health of a thread? We just treat them like dirt, fill them up with our words and when we're done with them, abandon them. To make is worse, sometimes people dig up their corpses months or even years later just to use them to inflate their post count and then abandon them like trash.

What animals we are.

This comment was very moving for me. So I be back it a few minutes.

This starts to get emotional, like a fuzzy Christmas filled with snowflakes.

Was the real meaning of Christmas being offended by everything and everyone that didn't align precisely with my own point of view?

Thanked by (1)root
  • Thanked by (3)bikegremlin root FrankZ

For domain registrations, create an account at Dynadot (ref) and spend $9.99 within 48 hours to receive $5 DynaDollars!
    Looking for cost-effective Managed/Anycast/DDoS-Protected/Geo DNS Services? Try ClouDNS (aff).

• End be like

Thanked by (1)FrankZ

For domain registrations, create an account at Dynadot (ref) and spend $9.99 within 48 hours to receive $5 DynaDollars!
    Looking for cost-effective Managed/Anycast/DDoS-Protected/Geo DNS Services? Try ClouDNS (aff).

• MasonMason AdministratorOG

Taco Bell had it right...

Head Janitor @ LES • AboutRulesSupport

• @Mason said:
    Taco Bell had it right...

When has Taco Bell ever been wrong?

Thanked by (3)Mason FrankZ bikegremlin
  • @Nekki said:

A nice dream: LES meeting at a Taco Bell.

Thanked by (1)FrankZ

How are you... online?

• @root said:

@Nekki said:

Then onto a strip club to get thrown out for touching the dancers, before going back to Taco Bell to eat away the hangover?

Thanked by (2)bikegremlin root
  • @Nekki said:

@root said:

@Nekki said:

Then onto a strip club to get thrown out for touching the dancers, before going back to Taco Bell to eat away the hangover?

Exactly. You read my mind.

How are you... online?

edited December 2022

@AlwaysSkint said:
    Devil's Advocate..
    Admittedly IT is a male dominated environment and most forums reflect this, in content, style and character. The OGF must really alienate the "fairer sex" and LES is following suit, from what I read. A balanced approach to the forum, should take gender into account but not pander to the snowflakes.
    /Advocate

I'm inclined to agree with this take, but I haven't really identified the best way to go about addressing and fixing it. I sometimes see posts that could definitely be considered alienating or borderline hostile to the opposite sex but don't have a good idea yet on how to tackle it -- redirect, ask to knock it off, move the comment, add new rules, etc. -- so that it doesn't open a can of worms or result in us needing to take a more active approach to moderation.

I'm also not a fan of the boys will be boys adage, so I don't want this to just get brushed under the rug either with a blanket excuse and free pass. Open to any thoughts or ideas.

/Snowflake out

• @root said:

@Nekki said:

@root said:

@Nekki said:

Exactly. You read my mind.

One day, possibly shortly before we're eradicated by nuclear war, we'll make it happen.

Thanked by (1)root
  • @Mason said:

@AlwaysSkint said:
    Devil's Advocate..
    Admittedly IT is a male dominated environment and most forums reflect this, in content, style and character. The OGF must really alienate the "fairer sex" and LES is following suit, from what I read. A balanced approach to the forum, should take gender into account but not pander to the snowflakes.
    /Advocate

I'm inclined to agree with this take, but I haven't really identified the best way to go about addressing and fixing it. I sometimes see posts that could definitely be considered alienating or borderline hostile to the opposite sex but don't have a good idea yet on how to tackle it -- redirect, ask to knock it off, move the comment, add new rules, etc. -- so that it doesn't open a can of worms or result in us needing to take a more active approach to moderation.

I'm also not a fan of the boys will be boys adage, so I don't want this to just get brushed under the rug either with a blanket excuse and free pass. Open to any thoughts or ideas.

/Snowflake out

Implement the sexism alarm bot. Whenever you see a post, trigger the bot. The bot will shame people.

• bikegremlinbikegremlin ModeratorOGContent Writer

@Mason said:

@AlwaysSkint said:
    Devil's Advocate..
    /Advocate

/Snowflake out

TL/DR:
    We aren't hostile, we're just dull. :)

LONG DRIVEL:
    Wherever I socialize IRL, communication and atmosphere are different when there are women around, compared to an all-boys company. Most men know how to (not) behave with women.

There are a lot fewer women interested in IT compared to men - at least in my country/area. Even today, when it is viewed as a "dream job" because it "pays very well," IT-related jobs and interests, in general, are not nearly as popular with women as they are with men.

The same goes for football and coal mining. As opposed to social studies and medicine, where the numbers are reversed.

Having said all that, perhaps those poor souls that @Hetzner_OL forces to come here every now and then could shed some light on stuff I may have overlooked and point out in an idiot-friendly manner what we could do to make it easier for any women to feel welcome and accepted here.

Thanked by (2)Mason FrankZ

Relja of House Novović, the First of His Name, King of the Plains, the Breaker of Chains, WirMach Wolves pack member
    BikeGremlin's web-hosting reviews

• @Nekki said:

Implement the sexism alarm bot. Whenever you see a post, trigger the bot. The bot will shame people.

• @Wonder_Woman said:

@Nekki said:

Perfection

• Ok this is a serious post, can't believe I had to type that out. I believe that is something on the internet offends you and you can't move past it then you are in the wrong place. I have had this discussion with others before. You are free to say what ever you like, if you expect others to change who they are for you, then YOU are the problem not them.

No one should have to change to meet others expectations. If it offends you and you get upset over it that is your personal problem.

As for the fairer sex in this industry. Some get offended by others existing at all. They think just because we have differences that we automatically think we are better. You will never change this behavior. What they don't realize is that they are welcome to join and become part of the group. We don't care who you are, what clothes you wear, or anything.

YOU can choose what topics you want to join. YOU can choose if you join in the banter. YOU want no banter skip over it and read the parts that interest you. There are all kinds of posts here, some technical and some that are meant to be funny. Just like the outside world.

Take it or leave it, does not matter if you are male, female, gay, straight, whatever you identify with in my eyes you are all equal. You are welcome to join in my banter or in any tech discussion I may have, but DON'T ask me to change who and what I am, that's not cool because I will NEVER ask you to change.

URL Shortener | YetiNode | Come join us on the MetalVPS IRC channel!!! | Don't be a jerk, let YetiNode do the work.

• FrankZFrankZ Moderator
    edited December 2022

@Mason said:

@AlwaysSkint said:
    Devil's Advocate..
    /Advocate

/Snowflake out

Well I guess we should ask the women that are here to PM us any of the suggestions they think may help or what they find offensive or not. Since if we want to take their view points into consideration we probably should familiarize ourselves with what they actually are as opposed to what we think they are or should be. My wife sees a lot of what goes on here and she is seldomly offended, and mostly just thinks we have the attitudes of children.

Thanked by (2)bikegremlin Mason

I am currently traveling in mostly remote areas until sometime in April 2024. Consequently DM's sent to me will go unanswered during this time.
    For staff assistance or support issues please use the helpdesk ticket system at https://support.lowendspirit.com/index.php?a=add

edited December 2022

@AuroraZero said: Ok this is a serious post, can't believe I had to type that out.

tldr - @AuroraZero didn't choose the Yeti life, the Yeti life CHOSE HIM

@FrankZ said: My wife sees a lot of what goes on here and she is seldomly offended, and mostly just thinks we have the attitudes of children.

Yeah - I can see that. My assumption on what may or may not offend other genders may also be way off base as well. I'm not attempting to position LES to be a "safe space" in any sense... just a friendly one :)

• @Mason said:

@AuroraZero said: Ok this is a serious post, can't believe I had to type that out.

@FrankZ said: My wife sees a lot of what goes on here and she is seldomly offended, and mostly just thinks we have the attitudes of children.

Yeah - I can see that. My assumption on what may or may not offend other genders may also be way off base as well.

So….poll?

Thanked by (2)FrankZ bikegremlin
  • @Nekki said:

@Mason said:

Yeah - I can see that. My assumption on what may or may not offend other genders may also be way off base as well.

So….poll?

Tent pole?

Thanked by (1)bikegremlin

URL Shortener | YetiNode | Come join us on the MetalVPS IRC channel!!! | Don't be a jerk, let YetiNode do the work.

• @AuroraZero said:

@Nekki said:

@Mason said:

So….poll?

Tent pole?

I’m game if everyone else is.

Thanked by (2)AuroraZero bikegremlin
  • FrankZFrankZ Moderator

@Nekki said:

@AuroraZero said:

@Nekki said:
    So….poll?

Tent pole?

Don't fall for this. You know what type of tent pole he is talking about, right.
    and no I am not going to spell it out for anyone.

I am currently traveling in mostly remote areas until sometime in April 2024. Consequently DM's sent to me will go unanswered during this time.
    For staff assistance or support issues please use the helpdesk ticket system at https://support.lowendspirit.com/index.php?a=add

• @FrankZ said:

@Nekki said:

@AuroraZero said:

@Nekki said:
    So….poll?

Tent pole?

Don't fall for this. You know what type of tent pole he is talking about, right.
    and no I am not going to spell it out for anyone.

An actual tent pole? Disappoint.

• Thanked by (3)bikegremlin FrankZ ehab

• bikegremlinbikegremlin ModeratorOGContent Writer

I heard that Poles make great welders.

Relja of House Novović, the First of His Name, King of the Plains, the Breaker of Chains, WirMach Wolves pack member
    BikeGremlin's web-hosting reviews

• MichaelCeeMichaelCee OGServices Provider
  • @FrankZ said:
    there are very few full time trolls

I want to be full time troll if I get the Troll tag.

Thanked by (2)AuroraZero FrankZ

ServerFactory aff best VPS; HostBrr aff best storage.

• @yoursunny said:

@FrankZ said:

Have to fight me for that tag. Good luck and god speed.

• FrankZFrankZ Moderator

@yoursunny said:

@FrankZ said:

I admit you do a pretty good job trolling, but there is only one official troll tag and @deank has it.
    I am not sure, but I expect that it is a hereditary title that will be passed on from him to his oldest troll off spring.
    Maybe you could ask him to adopt you ?

• @FrankZ said:
    Maybe you could ask him to adopt you ?

No. Just no! He will start forming a whole sect of trolls.

Thanked by (2)AlwaysSkint FrankZ

How are you... online?