Your mouse buying recommendation for gaming

hello

I would like to buy a mouse for my son. He will use it for gaming.
Need your help in recommending a mouse for gaming purposes.

wired or wireless / brands etc ...

any hints links helps a lot

Thank and regards
ehab

Comments

• MasonMason AdministratorOG

Stick with wired, you'll have less headaches in the end.

No preference to any particular brands. Razor is nice, but honestly I didn't think the experience was any different compared to the "cheapo" gaming mice on Amazon (~$20-ish).

Head Janitor @ LES • AboutRulesSupport

• YmpkerYmpker OGContent Writer
    edited January 2023

+1 for wired. I used to buy an expensive Roccat Mouse in the past. Now it's just a 15-20€ mouse from one of the budget gaming brands on Amazon like Havit. Classic bigger gaming brands are Roccat, Razer, Corsair, Logitech even..
    As for keyboards, I notice much more of a difference between an expensive gaming keyboard and a 20€ cheapo.

Thanked by (1)ehab
  • Logitech G903 Lightspeed works great. Logitech's R&D they did on the wireless protocol works wonders even in a contaminated RF environment and the battery life is stellar. Well worth the price.

https://www.logitechg.com/en-us/products/gaming-mice/g903-hero-wireless-gaming-mouse.910-005670.html

Thanked by (1)ehab

Cheap dedis are my drug, and I'm too far gone to turn back.

• @Mason said:
    wired

Razer

this.

@ehab listen to the chief! he knows what he's talking about.

Thanked by (2)ehab Mason
  • Mentally strong gamers play with joysticks.
    🕹️
    No mouse or keyboard needed.

ServerFactory aff best VPS; HostBrr aff best storage.

• look into the red dragon brand for cheap but good

Thanked by (1)ehab
  • RSI players use thumb trackballs.
    Speedball 2 fecks joysticks.

Thanked by (1)ehab

It wisnae me! A big boy done it and ran away.
    NVMe2G for life! until death (the end is nigh)

• I use Redragon M908. I recommend it, it's both wired and wireless.

Thanked by (1)ehab

How are you... online?

• How old is he and what does he play? Kids that don't know any better will have fun with cheap mice. That said, I got my 5 year old a cheap wireless Logitech keyboard + mouse set but he ahhhed and ohhhed so much at my MX518 revamp's autoclicker (we play Roblox together) that "Santa" "brought him one", too.

Personally, I hate Chinese mice, but then I hate all non-Logitech-MX-mice.

Logitechs get a lot of flak for their Omron switches, but if you want to preserve the health of your son's finger joints for longer, those light clicks might help.

Thanked by (1)ehab
  • @Logano said:
    How old is he?

he is almost 12.

Thanked by (1)Logano
  • edited January 2023

Logitech cheap G302 or better G502, great software support

@ehab said: buy a mouse for my son

Will ya adopt Chinaman?

Thanked by (3)Logano ehab bikegremlin

smartass shitposting satirist

• edited January 2023

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Gaming-Mice/SCIMITAR-RGB-Optical-MOBA-MMO-Gaming-Mouse/p/CH-9000091-NA

I have one of these, I dont use the side buttons much, converted the DPI buttons to forward and back buttons for easy browsing, and assign like button 10 to Push-to-Talk.

having a larger hand, I find it fits nicely

Thanked by (1)ehab
  • what game? logitech b100 is universally usable as gaming moose

Thanked by (1)ehab

Fuck this 24/7 internet spew of trivia and celebrity bullshit.

• bikegremlinbikegremlin ModeratorOGContent Writer

A4TECH V7M BLOODY - LOL. A pretentions name - with a red bloody hand print glowing. Hahah.
    But it's good - and was relatively cheap (under $30). Not sure where to buy it now. It's still available in Serbia. :)

Software customization is crappy, so that's a downside. But the basic functionality works - and it seems durable. Ergonomy is good, apart from the wheel which is a bit more textured than I'd like (prefer smoother wheels).

Has weight and size of "how they used to make 'em." I've used it for work primarily, but I love gaming and it does that job too very well.

As @Mason said above - avoid wireless unless really pressed for it. Especially for gaming. Yes, in theory, gaming peripherals are super-fast and all. In practice... Not really always.

Thanked by (1)ehab

Relja of House Novović, the First of His Name, King of the Plains, the Breaker of Chains, WirMach Wolves pack member
    BikeGremlin's web-hosting reviews

• The best mouse I had was Microsoft IntelliMouse Optical
    Microsoft IntelliMouse Optical

Should be worth buying if you can get an original one. Unsure how it will fit a 12 y.o. guy's hand though. Mine is probably bigger.

Thanked by (3)ehab Falzo Janevski
  • Just found one of these in a box yesterday. Original white intellimouse. Kind of odd you brought it up.

Thanked by (2)ehab Janevski

URL Shortener | YetiNode | Come join us on the MetalVPS IRC channel!!! | Don't be a jerk, let YetiNode do the work.

• how about it ?

Thanked by (1)ehab
  • @Ganonk said:
    how about it ?

Me likey but me Yeti

URL Shortener | YetiNode | Come join us on the MetalVPS IRC channel!!! | Don't be a jerk, let YetiNode do the work.

• @Mason said:
    Stick with wired, you'll have less headaches in the end.

No preference to any particular brands. Razor is nice, but honestly I didn't think the experience was any different compared to the "cheapo" gaming mice on Amazon (~$20-ish).

G304 would like to have a word with you,

Also razor deathadder (essential) is a good mouse

Beware of buying Logitech mice all have double click issue , razor uses optical switches and does not suffer from same issue

Want free vps ? https://microlxc.net

• debaserdebaser OG
    edited January 2023

Logitech G502 Hero. A bit more expensive than some other options, but just works. Has a good sensor, a good feel to it and it’s sturdy.

Thanked by (2)ehab Logano
  • You will pry my Logitech Trackball from my cold dead hands.

Thanked by (1)AlwaysSkint

• edited January 2023

@codelock said: razor uses optical switches and does not suffer from same issue

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/razer-deathadder-essential/4.html

right?

edit: anyway, I dislike Razer products with a passion, when I bought a Razer Blackwidow and the E key keeps repeating, I send Support requests and RMA request (denied) and they said I need to upgrade the firmware to fix it, it has never been fixed and is sitting in my cupboard and will most likely never be used because razer would not fix their fucked up product. I had a Naga Molten mouse that the right button died after 3 months of use, I replaced it myself with a cheap one from china, and that lasted over a year.

• @ehab said:
    my son is asking for this one

Glorious Model O
    https://www.gloriousgaming.com/products/glorious-model-o-black

From my experience or rather opinion, (ultra) lightweight mouse are only good, if you are playing fingertip grip too.
    With palm or claw grip your palm usually touches the mouse body and does not feel comfy with those skeleton covers. Also I feel you need more (counter) weight for claw grip, so I couldn't do much with that one he picked.

However, may work for him, depending on the games he plays and grip he develops.

Thanked by (1)ehab
  • havochavoc OGContent Writer

I've learned not to buy super high end. The wheel is mechanical & fundamentally exposed to gunk so only a matter of time before it gives issue regardless of price. My razor died that way

These days I just get a mid tier wireless logitech whenever they're on special

Thanked by (1)ehab
  • edited January 2023

@AuroraZero said: You will pry my Logitech Trackball from my cold dead hands.

Started with original clip-on, then Marble, then 2 wireless. Have progressed to MX Ergo, at considerable cost! :o (Serviced i.e. cleaned out last week, after ~2 years usage. The spokes of the wheel were clogged up with fluff.)

Thanked by (1)ehab

It wisnae me! A big boy done it and ran away.
    NVMe2G for life! until death (the end is nigh)

• I quite like my Ducky Frozen Feather mostly because I like purple and blue, but the actual mouse is very nice too. It's an ultralight wired, so if you don't like super light mice it might not be fantastic. It also comes in black if you're not a fan of the purple.

• AdvinAdvin Hosting Provider
    edited January 2023

@ehab said:
    my son is asking for this one

Glorious Model O
    https://www.gloriousgaming.com/products/glorious-model-o-black

Glorious makes some great products and they're a legitimate company. I've tried out Bloody, Roccat, Glorious, Logitech, Razer, Dell, Microsoft, and a lot of other mice brands. I've settled on the Glorious Model O Wireless and have been using it for the past year, highly recommend.

I ended up really liking it and it ended up being the most comfortable for me with the games I play/grip I've used for the past few years. If possible, if you have a MicroCenter in person, you can potentially try & buy some of the Glorious products.

That being said, I know people who didn't like it, so it really depends on the type of person/games/grip.

If you use Honey there's a 25% coupon code for the Glorious store if I recall.

Thanked by (1)ehab

I am a representative of Advin Servers

• YmpkerYmpker OGContent Writer
    edited January 2023

I think it's also important to remember that this is supposed to be a gift for your son. If he wishes for that specific mouse, then I'd get him that one if it's within budget. If it's outside budget that's another story, however, it's important to remember that he is the one who needs to be happy with it. While all mentioned advice in terms of what mice to use and what to watch out for (weigth, durability..) this is also a highly emotional/psychological thing. A friend or group of friends might have a similar mouse and it gives your son (on top of usability) the possibility to say "Hey, my super cool dad got me that mouse, too". It could also be just his individual preference. If he wishes for that one and it's within budget, again, there is little reason to get another mouse. Objectively speaking, there might be a better mouse out there, but that doesn't mean he wants that one. In that case, if you were to consider another mouse ask him why he wants the mouse he mentioned, first.

Tldr; Get him the mouse he wanted if it's within budget and the company behind it/reviews are not utter crap.

Quoting good, old, Dale Carnegie here:
    Personally I am very fond of strawberries and cream, but I have found that for some strange reason, fish prefer worms. So when I went fishing, I didn't think about what I wanted. I thought about what they wanted. I didn't bait the hook with strawberries and cream. Rather, I dangled a worm or grasshopper in front of the fish and said: "Wouldn't you like to have that?"