Free MetalVPS Intel i9-13900 Traditional Shell Account! Make Your Own VPSes!

Comments

• Not_OlesNot_Oles Hosting ProviderContent Writer

@NodeSeek用户123 said: I seem to have noticed the problem: my VPS username is not "Nodeseek user123", but starts with "nodeseek user123" with a lowercase "n".😮

The problem with the two directories "N" and "n" is my fault. Monseigneur Potato initially created an account for you with useradd. That did not create any home directory. Then I took over, imagining an easy fix to the problem that you had no home directory.

I first removed the sudo group membership and then the user account that had been created. Next, I recreated your account with "adduser" (instead of "useradd") which did create your capital N directory.

Then I remembered our discussion about the capital letters and the Chinese characters in your and other usernames. So I decided to remove the capital N user (second removal) and replace him with a lowercase "n" user. I used userdel but I forgot the "-r" flag, so your capital N directory remained. :)

Nest I again used "adduser` to add awesome lowercase user "nodeSeek用户123". This created the lowercase directory /home/nodeseek用户123.

Even though the capital letter directory "/home/NodeSeek用户123" remained present, I do not believe you could have used the login with the capital letter because the capital letter user had been deleted from from /etc/group by userdel.

I subsequently removed the capital letter /home/Nodeseek用户123 directory. So now only the home/nodeseek用户123 directory remains. When you get home, I wish you a relaxing evening!

Once upon a time, long ago, there were two friends, useradd and userdel. They met another group of two friends, adduser and deluser. The meeting of the two groups of two friends took place in front of the PERLy Gates of Heaven. If you remember the following distinctions, you do not need to remain a clueless™ loser like me! :)

root@i9 ~ # file $(which useradd)
    /usr/sbin/useradd: ELF 64-bit LSB pie executable, x86-64, version 1 (SYSV), dynamically linked, interpreter /lib64/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2, BuildID[sha1]=8b4a2c4bab80053bb1dc9576dc41e86e0793bb9b, for GNU/Linux 3.2.0, stripped
    root@i9 ~ # file $(which userdel)
    /usr/sbin/userdel: ELF 64-bit LSB pie executable, x86-64, version 1 (SYSV), dynamically linked, interpreter /lib64/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2, BuildID[sha1]=cf62a74477bb94647dfb7d42510c573fef149b15, for GNU/Linux 3.2.0, stripped
    root@i9 ~ # file $(which adduser)
    /usr/sbin/adduser: Perl script text executable
    root@i9 ~ # file $(which deluser)
    /usr/sbin/deluser: Perl script text executable
    root@i9 ~ #

Don't forget to take a quick look at the man pages for useradd, userdel, adduser, and deluser.

Thus endeth today's story of the clueless™ administrator. :)

I hope everyone gets the servers they want!

@NodeSeek用户123 said: But when I tried to ssh to 65.21.134.121, I confirmed that the username is nodeseek user 123, but the authentication still failed

ssh nodeseek用户[email protected] -p 42365 should work. However, hilariously,

root@i9 /home # date; ls -l
    Sat May  6 03:55:11 AM UTC 2023
    total 16
    drwx------ 5 dinopotato      dinopotato      4096 May  5 23:24 dinopotato
    drwx------ 7 iamvinh123      iamvinh123      4096 May  5 10:40 iamvinh123
    drwx------ 5 itsmepaddi      itsmepaddi      4096 May  5 09:27 itsmepaddi
    drwx------ 3 nodeSeek用户123 nodeSeek用户123 4096 May  6 01:53 nodeSeek用户123
    root@i9 /home # 

and

root@i9 ~ # grep node /etc/group
    sudo:x:27:iamvinh123,dinopotato,itsmepaddi,nodeSeek用户123
    users:x:100:iamvinh123,dinopotato,itsmepaddi,nodeSeek用户123
    kvm:x:105:iamvinh123,dinopotato,itsmepaddi,nodeSeek用户123
    nodeSeek用户123:x:1003:
    root@i9 ~ # 

It looks like I made an account called "nodeSeek用户123" with a capital S.

There are many stories of how clueless™ I am. This is one of the best!

@NodeSeek用户123 Could you please try ssh nodeSeek用户[email protected] -p 42365 ? If you get in, please see if sudo works. :)

I swear I didn't do this on purpose! :)

Thanked by (1)NodeSeek用户123

@NgocNguyen8372 said: 5. Just wanna run vm stuff

Hi @NgocNguyen8372! More details, please. Thanks!

• @Exinjh said:

@Not_Oles said:

@Exinjh said:

@Exinjh Would you kindly send me a PM about who you really are, where you really are, what you are running on the server, and what you are trying to accomplish. It's fine to joke around, but, really, if you want to keep your account, it's time to play it straight.

Is it compulsory?

I see your question, "Is it compulsory?" Please take another look at what you told us originally at https://lowendspirit.com/discussion/comment/137147/#Comment_137147

Hi, @Not_Oles. I want to get an account in your MetalVPS. I'm 17 years old guy from France. I used Linux only on VMware - Alpine Linux. It's my favourite Linux distro! I want to try creating QEMU-KVM virtual machines, try creating LXC containers and proot-environments. I have nice Linux skill. Here's my SSH key: ssh-ed25519 AAAAC3NzaC1lZDI1NTE5AAAAIENxEGH5VonVLWw6nyrfa9idt/mPixNsYMjdrz3iT8oX eddsa-key-20230427. I hope I'll be accepted.

How can I continue giving you opportunities to show who you really are? You seem not to want to tell us, and not to tell me, even privately. :)

(I will not run benchmarks anymore, and decrease vCPUs of my VM.)

This misses the point! It's certainly okay to run benchmarks and to do other heavy stuff. I keep trying to say that the way to do heavy stuff is to post here about what you are doing, how, why, when, how long.

Also, thanks for unsuspending my account!

You're welcome! But your account seems to have been suspended again. :)

Best wishes!

I'm from France, I had some Linux Course, and I have weak laptop. I running there Windows 10 Lite, Windows XP SP3 Professional and Windows For Workgroups 3.11. But soon i'll try some really old Linux distro! Also, I'll share benchmark results! So, for some time I can use many performance. I'll just run benchmarks again. I will run benchmarks today or tomorrow. But it will not be so long. Why i running benchmarks? I want to show you, guys power of MetalVPS VMs! In Windows 10 Lite VM, I running Chrome, DosBox and other things.

@Not_Oles

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles
  • edited May 2023

@Not_Oles

@Not_Oles said: There are many stories of how clueless™ I am. This is one of the best!

No, Tom, please don't say that. I have always appreciated that you are willing to give me this learning opportunity. I sincerely feel that you are the best administrator I have ever seen😊. The username issue arose because of me. If I hadn't been careless in creating the username and created such a confusing and even Chinese username, it wouldn't have taken up so much of your time. I'm the one who should apologize🙏. I appreciate your work. You always reply carefully to every comment and help us solve problems. I believe that no one would associate you with the word "_clueless". Please don't think that way. ❤️

btw:
    I was able to log in 65.21.134.121 as "nodeSeek用户123" with a capital "S" username !🤩
    However, when I tried to use the su command with the password for the home directory," su: Authentication failure" was displayed. When I checked with the passwd command, I confirmed that my password was correct. Can you solve my confusion? 🤔

Take it easy, Tom. You have spent too much time on my affairs today. I hope it does not affect your work and life.🙏
    As an administrator, you still have many comments to reply to, and my matter is not urgent. You can handle it tomorrow or a few days later when you have free😊

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles
  • @terrorgen said:

Just wanna run vm stuff

Tell us more about the "VM stuff" you are running.

Running windows 10 beta

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles
  • @Exinjh said:

@Exinjh said:

@Not_Oles said:

@Exinjh said:

@Exinjh Would you kindly send me a PM about who you really are, where you really are, what you are running on the server, and what you are trying to accomplish. It's fine to joke around, but, really, if you want to keep your account, it's time to play it straight.

Is it compulsory?

I see your question, "Is it compulsory?" Please take another look at what you told us originally at https://lowendspirit.com/discussion/comment/137147/#Comment_137147

Hi, @Not_Oles. I want to get an account in your MetalVPS. I'm 17 years old guy from France. I used Linux only on VMware - Alpine Linux. It's my favourite Linux distro! I want to try creating QEMU-KVM virtual machines, try creating LXC containers and proot-environments. I have nice Linux skill. Here's my SSH key: ssh-ed25519 AAAAC3NzaC1lZDI1NTE5AAAAIENxEGH5VonVLWw6nyrfa9idt/mPixNsYMjdrz3iT8oX eddsa-key-20230427. I hope I'll be accepted.

How can I continue giving you opportunities to show who you really are? You seem not to want to tell us, and not to tell me, even privately. :)

(I will not run benchmarks anymore, and decrease vCPUs of my VM.)

This misses the point! It's certainly okay to run benchmarks and to do other heavy stuff. I keep trying to say that the way to do heavy stuff is to post here about what you are doing, how, why, when, how long.

Also, thanks for unsuspending my account!

You're welcome! But your account seems to have been suspended again. :)

Best wishes!

I'm from France, I had some Linux Course, and I have weak laptop. I running there Windows 10 Lite, Windows XP SP3 Professional and Windows For Workgroups 3.11. But soon i'll try some really old Linux distro! Also, I'll share benchmark results! So, for some time I can use many performance. I'll just run benchmarks again. I will run benchmarks today or tomorrow. But it will not be so long. Why i running benchmarks? I want to show you, guys power of MetalVPS VMs! In Windows 10 Lite VM, I running Chrome, DosBox and other things.

@Not_Oles

Tout vient à point à qui sait attendre

Thanked by (1)Exinjh

The all seeing eye sees everything...

• somiksomik OG
    edited May 2023

@Not_Oles said:

@somik said:
    @Not_Oles could you please grant me access to the server as well for testing?

ssh-ed25519 AAAAC3NzaC1lZDI1NTE5AAAAIL20uGbLP+kZoBRXDaANvHy/NeqPIfpDwrWmjBEYx6QF somik@DESKTOP-BO9INQ7

Hi!

Access to fsn granted. :) kvm group membership added.

Please try ssh [email protected] -p 42365. Should work on IPv4 or IPv6.

A potential issue is . . . nobody has sudo on fsn.

Thanks for helping! <3

Best!

Tom

Thanks. Dont think I need sudo, but if i do, i'll just pass you the command to run since I'm using the account to help you monitor the server usage/loads.

Not sure what's the KVM group, but here is what I can see

• You have a 32 core CPU with 64 GB ram
    • CPU average usage is about 6.25% over the period of 5 mins
    • RAM usage is 61.30% at the time of checking
    • Checking disk usage require's root access so you need to run the command du -hs /home/* periodically to check.
    • user r****o is using about 200% of cpu, which is about 2 cores out of 32 (yes, linux CPU usage is weird...)
    • server load average is 1.51, 2.10, 2.57 and for a 32 core CPU, it can go up to 32, 32, 32 so still got a lot of headroom.
    • Current issues, 60% RAM usage, 90% disk usage (which you will free up)

Did I miss anything?

EDIT:
    Forgot to mention, top 4 memory usage are by 4 users who each allocated 8GB of RAM to their windows VM:

r******o   167916  149 12.8 9443536 8416196 pts/1 Sl+  05:33  51:36 qemu-system-x86_64 -m 8G -cpu host,-hypervisor --enable-kvm -smp cores=4 -boot d -hda vm1.img -cdrom en_windows_10_22h2_x64_dvd.iso  
    e******g  125435 88.8 12.3 9750712 8098992 pts/9 Sl+  May04 2454:35 qemu-system-x86_64 -hda win10.img -m 8G  cores=4 -cpu host -enable-kvm -net nic -object rng-random,id=rng0,filename=/dev/urandom -device virtio-rng-pci,rng=rng0 -vga qxl -monitor stdio -machine usb=on -device usb-tablet
    i******3  167164 24.3 11.9 10023656 7841624 pts/7 Sl+ 04:24  25:15 qemu-system-x86_64 -bios /home/i******3/win-vm/OVMF.fd -hda /home/i******3/win-vm/os.qcow2 -pflash /home/i******3/win-vm/OVMF-code.fd -pflash /home/i******3/win-vm/OVMF-vars.fd -vga qxl -m 8G -cpu host,-hypervisor -smp cores=4 -usbdevice tablet --enable-kvm 
    i******a+  129352 19.4 11.0 11077172 7239236 pts/17 Sl+ May04 469:10 qemu-system-x86_64 -cpu host,-hypervisor -m 8192 -smp cores=8,sockets=2 --enable-kvm -hda 11disk.qcow2 -cdrom win11.iso

I have edited out the port ranges and usernames to protect privacy for this. If @Not_Oles is ok with it, I would prefer to put unedited version instead.

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles

Artificial intelligence is no match for our natural stupidity.

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.

• @somik said:

I have edited out the port ranges and usernames to protect privacy for this. If @Not_Oles is ok with it, I would prefer to put unedited version instead.

Vote for name and shame! (Since they abuse free resources)

Thanked by (3)somik terrorgen Not_Oles
  • @dinopotato said:
    i am thinking about making a browser that's have virusproof based on MetalVPS

This sounds like an ambitious goal. Please tell us more!

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles
  • edited May 2023

@somik said:

@Not_Oles said:

@somik said:
    @Not_Oles could you please grant me access to the server as well for testing?

ssh-ed25519 AAAAC3NzaC1lZDI1NTE5AAAAIL20uGbLP+kZoBRXDaANvHy/NeqPIfpDwrWmjBEYx6QF somik@DESKTOP-BO9INQ7

Hi!

Access to fsn granted. :) kvm group membership added.

Please try ssh [email protected] -p 42365. Should work on IPv4 or IPv6.

A potential issue is . . . nobody has sudo on fsn.

Thanks for helping! <3

Best!

Tom

Thanks. Dont think I need sudo, but if i do, i'll just pass you the command to run since I'm using the account to help you monitor the server usage/loads.

Not sure what's the KVM group, but here is what I can see

• You have a 32 core CPU with 64 GB ram
    • CPU average usage is about 6.25% over the period of 5 mins
    • RAM usage is 61.30% at the time of checking
    • Checking disk usage require's root access so you need to run the command du -hs /home/* periodically to check.
    • user r****o is using about 200% of cpu, which is about 2 cores out of 32 (yes, linux CPU usage is weird...)
    • server load average is 1.51, 2.10, 2.57 and for a 32 core CPU, it can go up to 32, 32, 32 so still got a lot of headroom.
    • Current issues, 60% RAM usage, 90% disk usage (which you will free up)

Did I miss anything?

EDIT:
    Forgot to mention, top 4 memory usage are by 4 users who each allocated 8GB of RAM to their windows VM:

r******o   167916  149 12.8 9443536 8416196 pts/1 Sl+  05:33  51:36 qemu-system-x86_64 -m 8G -cpu host,-hypervisor --enable-kvm -smp cores=4 -boot d -hda vm1.img -cdrom en_windows_10_22h2_x64_dvd.iso  
    e******g  125435 88.8 12.3 9750712 8098992 pts/9 Sl+  May04 2454:35 qemu-system-x86_64 -hda win10.img -m 8G  cores=4 -cpu host -enable-kvm -net nic -object rng-random,id=rng0,filename=/dev/urandom -device virtio-rng-pci,rng=rng0 -vga qxl -monitor stdio -machine usb=on -device usb-tablet
    i******3  167164 24.3 11.9 10023656 7841624 pts/7 Sl+ 04:24  25:15 qemu-system-x86_64 -bios /home/i******3/win-vm/OVMF.fd -hda /home/i******3/win-vm/os.qcow2 -pflash /home/i******3/win-vm/OVMF-code.fd -pflash /home/i******3/win-vm/OVMF-vars.fd -vga qxl -m 8G -cpu host,-hypervisor -smp cores=4 -usbdevice tablet --enable-kvm 
    i******a+  129352 19.4 11.0 11077172 7239236 pts/17 Sl+ May04 469:10 qemu-system-x86_64 -cpu host,-hypervisor -m 8192 -smp cores=8,sockets=2 --enable-kvm -hda 11disk.qcow2 -cdrom win11.iso

If anyone is wondering, I am using 8GB RAM for my VM bc i sometime use BlueStacks (with the config of 2 cores and 2GB RAM) and VMware Workstation (4 VMs with three has 1GB RAM and 1 core and one with 256MB of RAM and 1 core) + VirtualBox (rarely)
    Also, the one starts with i and ends with 3 is me
    EDIT: Mem Reduct exist, I can use 6GB RAM and 2 cores just fine but I might can't run BlueStacks + VMware Workstation and VirtualBox with higher RAM and cores + disk as well bc the RAM in the VM might overload

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles
  • @iamvinh123 said:
    If anyone is wondering, I am using 8GB RAM for my VM bc i sometime use BlueStacks (with the config of 2 cores and 2GB RAM) and VMware Workstation (4 VMs with three has 1GB RAM and 1 core and one with 256MB of RAM and 1 core) + VirtualBox (rarely)

You are running a windows VM on this and on that VM running another Android VM + 4 VMware VMs? Why not run it on the host directly? Why multi-layered approach? I understand bluestacks as you need the thing to run on windows, but why would you run VMware VMs on the windows VM?

Also, just asking to check, but you do have a license for the VMware application itself, right?

Thanked by (2)terrorgen Not_Oles

• edited May 2023

@somik said:

@iamvinh123 said:

You are running a windows VM on this and on that VM running another Android VM + 4 VMware VMs? Why not run it on the host directly? Why multi-layered approach? I understand bluestacks as you need the thing to run on windows, but why would you run VMware VMs on the windows VM?

Also, just asking to check, but you do have a license for the VMware application itself, right?

I have the license for VMware
    Because some games might doesn't want to run in a Android-x86 VM + especially I want to try older OSes and some lightweight OSes
    Edit: Since QEMU had problems with mouse in Windows 9x, I had to use VMware instead

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles
  • @Not_Oles said:
    * All Node resources are available for fair use.

Define fair use.

Something like:

• If total is 100 units
    • If there are 20 users on the server
    • Then average resource usage should be bellow 5 units
    • Max usage should be 10 units, but for no longer then XX % of time
    • Failing once should be warning.
    • Twice suspension for X unit of time.
    • Thrice permanent suspension

Also add some additional terms and conditions such as since the service is "free", resources or VMs setup on the server cannot be "sold" to a third party OR can only be used by user registered by the server OR something similar?

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles

• @somik said:

@Not_Oles said:

Define fair use.

Something like:

• If total is 100 units

Also add some additional terms and conditions such as since the service is "free", resources or VMs setup on the server cannot be "sold" to a third party OR can only be used by user registered by the server OR something similar?

This might be a good idea maybe

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles
  • @iamvinh123 said:

Just to clearify, this is not in response to you. Currently there is another user running a VM with 10GB of ram, causing the overall available RAM to drop to 13GB. If there is one more person running it, good luck to the server...

n******+  172481 37.3 16.2 11909400 10654000 pts/10 Sl+ 10:06  20:06 qemu-system-x86_64 -m 10G -cpu host --enable-kvm -smp cores=5 -boot d -hda ssd.qcow2 -monitor stdio -vnc :69,password=on -net nic,model=e1000 -machine usb=on -device usb-tablet -vga qxl

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles

• edited May 2023

@somik said:

@iamvinh123 said:

Just to clearify, this is not in response to you. Currently there is another user running a VM with 10GB of ram, causing the overall available RAM to drop to 13GB. If there is one more person running it, good luck to the server...

n******+  172481 37.3 16.2 11909400 10654000 pts/10 Sl+ 10:06  20:06 qemu-system-x86_64 -m 10G -cpu host --enable-kvm -smp cores=5 -boot d -hda ssd.qcow2 -monitor stdio -vnc :69,password=on -net nic,model=e1000 -machine usb=on -device usb-tablet -vga qxl

Good luck to the server maybe.....
    EDIT: Here's the resource usage

Thanked by (2)somik Not_Oles
  • @Not_Oles said: There are many stories of how clueless™ I am. This is one of the best!

Did you know i'm clueless in linux?
    I just use it for some month and i watch this video for just for more linux skill

actually, i use Windows more than linux and something i just dont know i go google it:)
    maybe sometime this linux newbie can make some mistake lol

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles
  • Eventually, I'm bored and don't know what to do
    So, I've decided to try Debian testing/sid out in the new server
    Also, VNC Viewer automatically choose the low color mode so that's why the color is weird

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles
  • Hi there! I wanted to reach out and express my interest in trying something new. Although I don't have prior experience in creating unprivileged LXC containers or unprivileged KVM VPS, I believe it would be an exciting opportunity for me to learn and explore. I'm eager to take on the challenge and see what I can accomplish. Thank you for considering my request!
    Thanks
    ssh-ed25519 AAAAC3NzaC1lZDI1NTE5AAAAIP76M+51oxuJNjxGt1TZo8dEGXvzgtt1KQd/iLOxYkWu

Thanked by (2)Yqua Not_Oles
  • @H4N50 said:
    Hi there! I wanted to reach out and express my interest in trying something new. Although I don't have prior experience in creating unprivileged LXC containers or unprivileged KVM VPS, I believe it would be an exciting opportunity for me to learn and explore. I'm eager to take on the challenge and see what I can accomplish. Thank you for considering my request!
    Thanks
    ssh-ed25519 AAAAC3NzaC1lZDI1NTE5AAAAIP76M+51oxuJNjxGt1TZo8dEGXvzgtt1KQd/iLOxYkWu

Hello @H4N50 ,
    could you tell us more about yourself and maybe other prior experiences you had with linux?

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles
  • @somik said:

@Not_Oles said:

Define fair use.

Something like:

• If total is 100 units

Also maybe add the condition like the free NAT vps thread of a minimum post count or account lifetime?

Thanked by (3)Yqua terrorgen Not_Oles

• edited May 2023

@somik said:

@somik said:

@Not_Oles said:

Define fair use.

Something like:

• If total is 100 units

Also maybe add the condition like the free NAT vps thread of a minimum post count or account lifetime?

or as an alternative to a minimum post count or account lifetime, some type of real life references, like from a teacher, your boss at work etc.

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles
  • @Yqua said:
    or as an alternative to a minimum post count or account lifetime, some type of real life references, like from a teacher, your boss at work etc.

No way to verify that the reference comes from a real person. Unless you are willing to disclose your LinkedIn details?

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles

edited May 2023

@NodeSeek用户123 said: I was able to log in 65.21.134.121 as "nodeSeek用户123" with a capital "S" username !🤩
    However, when I tried to use the su command with the password for the home directory," su: Authentication failure" was displayed. When I checked with the passwd command, I confirmed that my password was correct. Can you solve my confusion? 🤔

The su command requires the root password. The sudo command requires the user's password. But you can run su with sudo as in sudo su. Then you already are root when accessing su, so su works without asking for root's password.

I just checked the situation:

root@i9 ~ # cat /etc/group
    root:x:0:
    daemon:x:1:
    bin:x:2:
    sys:x:3:
    adm:x:4:
    tty:x:5:
    disk:x:6:
    lp:x:7:
    mail:x:8:
    news:x:9:
    uucp:x:10:
    man:x:12:
    proxy:x:13:
    kmem:x:15:
    dialout:x:20:
    fax:x:21:
    voice:x:22:
    cdrom:x:24:
    floppy:x:25:
    tape:x:26:
    sudo:x:27:iamvinh123,dinopotato,itsmepaddi,nodeSeek用户123
    audio:x:29:
    dip:x:30:
    www-data:x:33:
    backup:x:34:
    operator:x:37:
    list:x:38:
    irc:x:39:
    src:x:40:
    gnats:x:41:
    shadow:x:42:
    utmp:x:43:
    video:x:44:
    sasl:x:45:
    plugdev:x:46:
    staff:x:50:
    games:x:60:
    users:x:100:iamvinh123,dinopotato,itsmepaddi,nodeSeek用户123
    nogroup:x:65534:
    systemd-journal:x:101:
    systemd-network:x:102:
    systemd-resolve:x:103:
    input:x:104:
    kvm:x:105:iamvinh123,dinopotato,itsmepaddi,nodeSeek用户123
    render:x:106:
    crontab:x:107:
    netdev:x:108:
    messagebus:x:109:
    systemd-timesync:x:110:
    systemd-coredump:x:999:
    sgx:x:112:
    _ssh:x:111:
    vnstat:x:113:
    uuidd:x:114:
    rdma:x:115:
    iamvinh123:x:1000:
    dinopotato:x:1001:
    itsmepaddi:x:1002:
    nodeSeek用户123:x:1003:
    root@i9 ~ # cat /home/nodeSeek用户123/password 
    redacted
    root@i9 ~ # su - nodeSeek用户123 # root ca use su to become nodeSeek用户123
    nodeSeek用户123@i9:~$ whoami # shows that root successfully became nodeS用户123
    nodeSeek用户123
    nodeSeek用户123@i9:~$ sudo whoami # Does sudo work for nodeSeek用户123?
    [sudo] password for nodeSeek用户123:  # Copy and paste password from file in home directory
    root
    nodeSeek用户123@i9:~$ date
    Sat May  6 03:00:22 PM UTC 2023
    nodeSeek用户123@i9:~$ exit # The "-" in "su -" seems to make a login, so this exit was a logout.
    logout
    root@i9 ~ # 

So, when root pretends to be nodeSeek用户123, sudo seems to work for that nodeseek用户123.

One possible cause of the problem could be that the password is not being entered correctly. The passwords can be tricky to type. I copied and pasted, but I think copy/paste doesn't work if you are using VNC. If needed, we could simplify your password. Or you might be able to log in via ssh inside something like hterm where copy/paste is available. If you want to simplify your password or your username or both, just let me know. :)

If you still can't get sudo working, we will investigate further. :) It will be great! :)

I like to make "clueless™ jokes." A long time ago somebody on LET called me "clueless" about IPv6 because I was assigning static IPv6 /128 addresses to VMs. I enjoyed the clueless™ moniker, so I adopted it as a trademark. <3

I love making mistakes! <3 Mistakes are the best ways to learn! I try hard to make as many mistakes as possible every day! <3

Thanked by (1)FrankZ

• @Not_Oles said:
    The su command requires the root password. The sudo command requires the user's password. But you can run su with sudo as in sudo su. Then you already are root when accessing su, so su works without asking for root's password.

sudo bash is an easy way to get a root shell.

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles
  • edited May 2023

@Yqua said:

@H4N50 said:
    Hi there! I wanted to reach out and express my interest in trying something new. Although I don't have prior experience in creating unprivileged LXC containers or unprivileged KVM VPS, I believe it would be an exciting opportunity for me to learn and explore. I'm eager to take on the challenge and see what I can accomplish. Thank you for considering my request!
    Thanks

Hello @H4N50 ,
    could you tell us more about yourself and maybe other prior experiences you had with linux?

I have a strong passion for Linux and open source software. While I may not have direct experience with unprivileged LXC containers or unprivileged KVM VPS, I do have a solid understanding of Linux fundamentals and system administration. I also need an account since my pc is very bad and does not allow me to do almost anything, I await your response, thanks

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles
  • Hey Oles! I'm commenting here to apply for access to the KVM group and for an account on the VPS.

Reason why I want an account:
    I don't have a good PC for testing and making websites as I'm fairly poor, having an account would allow me to expand my knowledge on LXC/KVM/Qemu VMs which would pile on top of my already known knowledge.

My SSH key fingerprint:
    SHA256:xlL9W0ia4fhK+K1hR4Aw47kHPjTmAA53jryNf+a1Q/0

If this doesn't work, let me know and I'll try fix it!

Thanks!

• Blake
    Thanked by (1)Not_Oles

@SheGivMeItAgain said:
    Hey Oles! I'm commenting here to apply for access to the KVM group and for an account on the VPS.

I don't have a good PC for testing and making websites as I'm fairly poor, having an account would allow me to expand my knowledge on LXC/KVM/Qemu VMs which would pile on top of my already known knowledge.

My SSH key fingerprint:

Thanks!

• Blake

Hi Blake!

Nice to see you! Welcome to LES and to MetalVPS!

About making your ssh key pair. . . . What you posted is almost, but not quite what we need. Please take a look around this thread at the keys other people have posted. Also, Google is your friend.

What equipment do you plan to use to access the server? Please tell us the equipment model name and model number plus operating system and the program providing access.

Thanks! More soon!

Tom

• @Not_Oles said:

@SheGivMeItAgain said:
    Hey Oles! I'm commenting here to apply for access to the KVM group and for an account on the VPS.

My SSH key fingerprint:

Thanks!

• Blake

Hi Blake!

Nice to see you! Welcome to LES and to MetalVPS!

About making your ssh key pair. . . . What you posted is almost, but not quite what we need. Please take a look around this thread at the keys other people have posted. Also, Google is your friend.

What equipment do you plan to use to access the server? Please tell us the equipment model name and model number plus operating system and the program providing access.

Thanks! More soon!

Tom

Ah my bad, I'm new to public keys as I use password based auth a lot 😂, anyway I do hope this SSH key works if not let me know;
    ssh-ed25519 xlL9W0ia4fhK+K1hR4Aw47kHPjTmAA53jryNf+a1Q/0 u0_a330@localhost

Also I am going to be accessing this over a Google Pixel 4, Using termux as the SSH client.

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles