VirMach - Complain - Moan - Praise - Chit Chat

Comments

• @KuYeHQ said:

There is a problem with NYCB046's network and cannot connect to the Internet. :#

How do we know that's not just your VM has messed up networking after the re-IP?

Thanked by (1)yoursunny
  • FrankZFrankZ Moderator
    edited September 2023

@KuYeHQ said: There is a problem with NYCB046's network and cannot connect to the Internet. :#

I expect that VirMach is traveling to San Jose today so may be unavailable to answer your question. If you will send me via DM a screenshot of the following

ip addr show
    ip route show
    netstat -anp | grep tcp
    cat /etc/resolv.conf
    The IP that shows in the billing panel that was assigned to your VM

I will see if there is anything that can be done to get you going without VirMach's intervention.

I am currently traveling in mostly remote areas until sometime in April 2024. Consequently DM's sent to me will go unanswered during this time.
    For staff assistance or support issues please use the helpdesk ticket system at https://support.lowendspirit.com/index.php?a=add

• cybertechcybertech OGBenchmark King

good for san jose!

Thanked by (1)FrankZ

I bench YABS 24/7/365 unless it's a leap year.

• VirMachVirMach Hosting Provider

I had to force myself to sleep last night after the huge error I made, and it was very difficult to do even though I'm exhausted. Luckily I was able to probably sleep for another 4 hours after laying there for a few hours. So far so good, didn't miss my early morning call with Flexential. We'll likely be consolidating Atlanta, Denver, and Dallas into just one location the way the quotes are going.

They seem to have a "minimum price" no matter what you get, a sweet spot, then high again. So we're trying to hit that middle ground and to do that, consolidation is required.

I'm still trying to fly to San Jose in a few hours, but haven't heard back from Evocative San Jose on whether I have direct access to move the equipment as they were supposed to remove them from the rack. Gathering everything up so I'll be able to continue work in San Jose regardless of whether or not I'm able to do the earlier move.

Phoenix is still scheduled for Wednesday, they weren't able to do it sooner.

No update on Sabey (Seattle.)

No update on SolusVM.

We moved as much as we could given SolusVM acting strangely.

@FrankZ said:

@KuYeHQ said: There is a problem with NYCB046's network and cannot connect to the Internet. :#

I expect that VirMach is traveling to San Jose today so may be unavailable to answer your question. If you will send me via DM a screenshot of the following

ip addr show
    ip route show
    netstat -anp | grep tcp
    cat /etc/resolv.conf
    The IP that shows in the billing panel that was assigned to your VM

I will see if there is anything that can be done to get you going without VirMach's intervention.

He is likely on one of the new blocks added which I'm trying to have fixed still. Until it's marked as done on network status page, it's not done. He left out a lot of details but given the timing of his post I assume he was migrated yesterday and needs the new IPv4 to have connectivity still.

This involves my screw-up on the switch yesterday, so I'm not touching anything and just waiting on network engineer.

• Let's petition for @FrankZ to be granted backend access, so that he can solve everyone's problem without guessing.

ServerFactory aff best VPS; HostBrr aff best storage.

• @VirMach said: We'll likely be consolidating Atlanta, Denver, and Dallas into just one location the way the quotes are going.

Any chance that the location that you will consolidate them to will be Dallas ?

@yoursunny I know my guessing correctly percentage is down a little lately, but I still thought it was pretty good, no ?

I am currently traveling in mostly remote areas until sometime in April 2024. Consequently DM's sent to me will go unanswered during this time.
    For staff assistance or support issues please use the helpdesk ticket system at https://support.lowendspirit.com/index.php?a=add

• @FrankZ said: ..the location that you will consolidate them to will be Dallas ?

The geographic median, sort of. ;)

It wisnae me! A big boy done it and ran away.
    NVMe2G for life! until death (the end is nigh)

@FrankZ said:

@VirMach said: We'll likely be consolidating Atlanta, Denver, and Dallas into just one location the way the quotes are going.

I would have selected Dallas, but it's double the setup time for that as they do not have power drops yet and most of Dallas has already been migrated to NYC since it went down. Atlanta is technically still online, and should still remain online until the maintenance window to set up the new cabinet. It'd make the most sense to not consolidate to Dallas given that we'd have to cause more problems in Atlanta for existing customers who are online and fine.

Very much playing the cards we're dealt.

I do see Dallas returning as a location after we deal with all these issues, but that location is kind of oversaturated at this point and all the positives it had seem to be going away (mainly cheap power, it seems.) This also gives us time to make the right choice for that location instead of the first available, and it just looks like everything is going to be long delays for setup there right now. I'm jumping ahead right now but I did also contact some companies in the surrounding areas. It could be cool to try to do Oklahoma City instead and if I had free reign over Atlanta, I'd probably would have wanted to move it to Saint Louis instead in my pursuit to keep things interesting. But yeah, most likely Dallas comes back, just don't know under who yet or when.

I'm going to try very hard not to miss my flight to San Jose.

I already got confirmation that a tech will get there before I do and he's more than capable to do everything himself if I run into problems. Networking team, I say team but it seems to be one person for San Jose is still unfortunately sick, and for whatever reason he's the only guy in the entire facility that could assist us with the networking setup though so even if we set up the cabinet today, we won't have any connectivity until that gets sorted.

• FrankZFrankZ Moderator
    edited September 2023

@VirMach said:

@FrankZ said:

@VirMach said: We'll likely be consolidating Atlanta, Denver, and Dallas into just one location the way the quotes are going.

I would have selected Dallas, but it's double the setup time for that as they do not have power drops yet and most of Dallas has already been migrated to NYC since it went down. Atlanta is technically still online, and should still remain online until the maintenance window to set up the new cabinet. It'd make the most sense to not consolidate to Dallas given that we'd have to cause more problems in Atlanta for existing customers who are online and fine.

Very much playing the cards we're dealt.

I do see Dallas returning as a location after we deal with all these issues, but that location is kind of oversaturated at this point and all the positives it had seem to be going away (mainly cheap power, it seems.) This also gives us time to make the right choice for that location instead of the first available, and it just looks like everything is going to be long delays for setup there right now. I'm jumping ahead right now but I did also contact some companies in the surrounding areas. It could be cool to try to do Oklahoma City instead and if I had free reign over Atlanta, I'd probably would have wanted to move it to Saint Louis instead in my pursuit to keep things interesting. But yeah, most likely Dallas comes back, just don't know under who yet or when.

Thank you for the followup. All the above makes complete sense to me. Have a good flight.

Still no update on Sabey.

Still no update on connectivity for new blocks on NYC (these are people who got migrated to NYC mostly, but not all of them, some already have connectivity.)

San Jose earliest time back seems to be tomorrow, latest seems to be Saturday.

Phoenix still on track for tomorrow.

Dallas has 3 nodes left to "move." To clarify, by that I mean just getting SolusVM to list it as the proper new node.

Denver, about half of everyone moved, half left. By move I mean same as above.

Los Angeles, never got to take servers down but it seems like they're less likely to be required. That's slated for when I get back from San Jose, hopefully.

IPv4 change notification may end up getting pushed into tomorrow, we'll see how everything else goes today.

• @VirMach said:
    Networking team, I say team but it seems to be one person for San Jose is still unfortunately sick, and for whatever reason he's the only guy in the entire facility that could assist us with the networking setup

They say one man VPS providers are bad... yet you can run one man whole DC :D

Haven't bought a single service in VirMach Great Ryzen 2022 - 2023 Flash Sale.
    https://lowendspirit.com/uploads/editor/gi/ippw0lcmqowk.png

Update on Coinbase payment method, they closed our service with no notification which was causing the errors. They are unwilling to open the account and unwilling to provide any information. I suspect perhaps their legal team maybe got a request as some payments probably come from shady sources as happens in this business, but for whatever reason they decided now would be the perfect time to permanently close our account.

I've already got us set up with another similar provider/competitor and also adding another, and Bitcoin also has it's other. Luckily with cryptocurrency in the end it's semi-decentralized so we can always just add others.

@Jab said:

@VirMach said:
    Networking team, I say team but it seems to be one person for San Jose is still unfortunately sick, and for whatever reason he's the only guy in the entire facility that could assist us with the networking setup

I just love how the thing in question is networking, which is a job that can be done globally. So basically, effectively what they're saying is that they either don't want to assign anyone to help us or that there is one man on Earth that is the only guy that has access to doing anything for a company that owns 20 colocation facilities and basically bought out half of INAP.

• @VirMach said:

@Jab said:

@VirMach said:

I just love how the thing in question is networking, which is a job that can be done globally. So basically, effectively what they're saying is that they either don't want to assign anyone to help us or that there is one man on Earth that is the only guy that has access to doing anything for a company that owns 20 colocation facilities and basically bought out half of INAP.

Buy iFog VPS and tunnel the whole rack through it.
    You'll get free IPv6 too.

ServerFactory aff best VPS; HostBrr aff best storage.

• Would this explain a few things? :D

Hivelocity | VPS Launching in Fall 2023

Haven't bought a single service in VirMach Great Ryzen 2022 - 2023 Flash Sale.
    https://lowendspirit.com/uploads/editor/gi/ippw0lcmqowk.png

• @nyamenk said:
    Alhamdulillah, Thanks @VirMach My storage is active again with a new IP

congratulations , glad to hear the news 🤜🤛

Thanked by (1)nyamenk
  • @Jab said:
    Would this explain a few things? :D

Hivelocity | VPS Launching in Fall 2023

They've had VPS for years now, they're just being deceptive about their marketing.

San Jose update: they don't have any bars near the datacenter, every restaurant that isn't fast food is closed or closing in like 10 minutes to an hour or closed on Tuesdays. A medium pizza is $21.

@VirMach said:

@Jab said:

@VirMach said:

I sent them an email asking them if they had any single employee available anywhere that could potentially do announcement and confirm uplink information and they did get someone to assist us.

Everything racked and has power. Side note, a while ago when Dedipath racked these, we had huge pain trying to get them to use our rail kits. It took several tries and eventually they blamed our rails (same ones in every location) and said they'd have to order in new rails. Today I found out by ordering new rails they meant getting non-sliding rails and then just stacking two servers at a time on them, our tech helping out was obviously very confused and probably initially thought we were the ones that wanted to do that. There's going to have to be another maintenance window in the future where we get actual rails, since it seems like Dedipath also threw away all our rails, except... one. For some reason they kept one.

Networking will have to wait until tomorrow, I almost missed my flight (which also got delayed because the plane's electronic systems were malfunctioning) but anyway, that means since I was trying to make the flight I totally forgot to bring my dongles. Need to go get one from Best Buy tomorrow and I'll set everything up, fingers crossed.

san joseeeeeeeeeee

war cries

the best location so far for me is AMS!

second is Tokyo.

• One of the AMS node down?

Operation Timed Out from the VirMach panel

From the SolusVM CP: RYZE.AMS-D001.VMS

@kheng86 said:
    One of the AMS node down?

Just controls.

Thanked by (1)FrankZ
  • @VirMach said:

@kheng86 said:

Just controls.

VPS is down ("offline") in SolusVM as well. Can't boot etc.

@kheng86 said:

@VirMach said:

@kheng86 said:

Just controls.

VPS is down ("offline") in SolusVM as well. Can't boot etc.

It's online but you're right, having other issues.

• edited September 2023

1 of my dallas -> NY VPS's is "up" with new IPs now (NYCB013), but sitting at a "No bootable device".

Is it safe to reinstall or is there still more work being done? Not in a rush, it'll just go back to idling anyways.

Thanked by (2)FrankZ AlwaysSkint
  • @soulchief said:
    1 of my dallas -> NY VPS's is "up" with new IPs now (NYCB013), but sitting at a "No bootable device".

Is it safe to reinstall or is there still more work being done? Not in a rush, it'll just go back to idling anyways.

I reinstalled mine on that time the drive failed on one of their servers that affected mine, after some time it just rolled back presumably from their backups. I recommend to not touch anything for now.

Thanked by (1)FrankZ

You probably saw me somewhere...

@soulchief said:

Any unexpected issue like that, first check network status page, then if nothing is specifically mentioned that could be related (e.g, the node is listed as having some unidentified problem, disk problem, overloading, anything other than it being fully down) then you should open a ticket.

Reinstall in these situations could result in disk disappearing completely. Just mention in your ticket that you are not trying to get the data back on it to speed it along and priority queue.

• @nyamenk said:
    Alhamdulillah, Thanks @VirMach My storage is active again with a new IP

Alhamdulillah

Thanked by (2)nyamenk lesuser