[EU ONLY] Looking for old, cheap, non working servers

For the opening of a hackerspace we are looking for servers, even old and non-functional ones, from which we could steal the 'front panels' to make 'artistic' furniture composed of servers that give the impression of being lit up by mounting LEDs inside them. Even going on ebay I cannot seem to find anything similar, and if I do find something, it's at prohibitive prices (even just 50€ per server would mean spending an insane amount of money on a 'coffee table').

So, does anyone need to get rid of any servers or know where to find such things? :) Even just a pallet of different models and ages would be interesting, hoping the shipping is not too prohibitive.

I am located in Italy, Milano!

Comments

• @c1vhosting maybe can help.

Thanked by (3)Amadex c1vhosting adly
  • Go to OVH and ask for burned servers.
    You may get some for free.

Thanked by (2)terrorgen Janevski

HostBrr aff best VPS.
    We are impotent.

• @Calin and @FlorinMarian may help

Thanked by (1)yoursunny

Dentistry is my passion

• I guess you could call local recycling point companies for them. It would be the cheapest option. If you explain them what are you looking for and double the price per kg they would call you if they receive them.

Thanked by (1)yoursunny

Dentistry is my passion

• bdlbdl OG
    edited October 2023

@Chievo said:
    @Calin and @FlorinMarian may help

Romanian Rambos B)

@yoursunny said:
    Go to OVH and ask for burned servers.
    You may get some for free.

they already have "impression of being lit up"

Thanked by (1)Chievo
  • c1vhostingc1vhosting Hosting Provider

@ehab said:
    @c1vhosting maybe can help.

we sold all our old R610s about 6/7 months ago.. now we only have much more expensive stuff left from the 13th gen to the 15th gen :(

C1V hosting: Italy's Leading Data Center | Unbeatable VPS, Dedicated Servers, and Colocation | Cutting-Edge Facilities in Pomezia | Where Your Success Takes Center Stage.
    🚀 VPN for €5/year 🚀 | Follow us on Telegram

• edited May 15

@c1vhosting said:

@ehab said:

we sold all our old R610s about 6/7 months ago.. now we only have much more expensive stuff left from the 13th gen to the 15th gen :(

Did you buy back your old hardware or did you use a marker to add a '1' in front of the generation number of the Intel Xeon E5-2697A v4 in my VPS?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broadwell_(microarchitecture)#Server_processors

PS. Even 6 months later than your original post, (official) Intel 15th gen hasn't been released yet.

Thanked by (1)adly

Thanked by (1): c1vhosting.
    LinuxFreek.com

• edited May 15

@Chievo said:
    I guess you could call local recycling point companies for them. It would be the cheapest option. If you explain them what are you looking for and double the price per kg they would call you if they receive them.

Sounds like something from an American movie; I don't see this happening in Italy, recycling companies are 100% state business, private in title yet owned by the communes; parastatal monopolies don't have the bureaucratic flexibility to accomodate anything out of their ordinary practices, ie they won't have a phone number you can call, or an open entrance to a building.

BTW I have 1 broken Supermicro motherboard (2 sockets, EATX) =)
    5€ shipped to Milan.

• @davide said:

@Chievo said:
    I guess you could call local recycling point companies for them. It would be the cheapest option. If you explain them what are you looking for and double the price per kg they would call you if they receive them.

Sounds like something from an American movie; I don't see this happening in Italy, recycling companies are 100% state business, private in title yet owned by the communes; parastatal monopolies don't have the bureaucratic flexibility to accomodate anything out of their ordinary practices, ie they won't have a phone number you can call, or an open entrance to a building.

BTW I have 1 broken Supermicro motherboard (2 sockets, EATX) =)
    5€ shipped to Milan.

If it's Milan, i might as well just come pick it up lmao

• edited May 15

I'm in a miserable place between the swamps of Comacchio and the pine forests or Ravenna :'(

Sorta.

Okay it's not that big of a forest, the Romans cut them down. And the swamps were reclaimed by some Pope centuries ago. But still.

Thanked by (1)Shot²
  • AuroraZeroAuroraZero Retired

I will buy some of this in the U.S. if anyone has any and is willing to let it go cheap.

URL Shortener | YetiNode | Come join us on the MetalVPS IRC channel!!! | Don't be a jerk, let YetiNode do the work.

• CalinCalin Hosting Provider
    edited May 15

Hello we have lot of dell r610/hp gen 6 servers , we possible give for 24$ per server , (servers still work) but don't know about shipping , leave me address on PM

Regards

• @AuroraZero said:
    I will buy some of this in the U.S. if anyone has any and is willing to let it go cheap.

Hey man if you want I can scout one for you in my locality and ship it to you.

My time is free, you pay the cost of acquiring and shipping. How about that.

Just let me know your specs.

The all seeing eye sees everything...

• @AuroraZero said:

You're looking for old servers?

• AuroraZeroAuroraZero Retired

@skorous said:

@AuroraZero said:

You're looking for old servers?

Yeap always looking for a deal! :smile

@terrorgen said:

@AuroraZero said:

Hey man if you want I can scout one for you in my locality and ship it to you.

My time is free, you pay the cost of acquiring and shipping. How about that.

Just let me know your specs.

Always looking for deals. We don't have much in the way of dealers here in Northern Michigan and I usually have to buy things online amd have it shipped.

URL Shortener | YetiNode | Come join us on the MetalVPS IRC channel!!! | Don't be a jerk, let YetiNode do the work.

• Send me your specs @AuroraZero

Thanked by (1)AuroraZero

The all seeing eye sees everything...

• @Freek said:

@c1vhosting said:

@ehab said:

Did you buy back your old hardware or did you use a marker to add a '1' in front of the generation number of the Intel Xeon E5-2697A v4 in my VPS?

PS. Even 6 months later than your original post, (official) Intel 15th gen hasn't been released yet.

I hate this guy too and I'm sure he's lying, but he's talking about generations of Dell servers.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=List_of_PowerEdge_servers

Thanked by (1)Freek
  • @fluttershy said:

@Freek said:

@c1vhosting said:

@ehab said:

I hate this guy too and I'm sure he's lying, but he's talking about generations of Dell servers.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=List_of_PowerEdge_servers

Thanks, today I learned something new. I stand corrected. Apologies to @c1vhosting

Thanked by (1): c1vhosting.
    LinuxFreek.com