Yet Another Benchmark Script (YABS) - Linux Benchmarking Script using dd, iperf, & Geekbench

Comments

• cybertechcybertech OGBenchmark King
    edited January 2020

the thing is that rwmix=50 write IOPS reflected are high.
    at 75 the read is higher, write is lower, which does not reflect what the highest IOPS are.

i dont know maybe do a dedicated half file size of read, and then half write (e.g. 2GB read test, 2GB write test) maybe, or if rwmix does both operations at the same time, then maybe it does simulate real world performance, then in any case it would be nice if there's a reference grading based on IOPS results from:

• LEB Summerhost
    • Bad
    • Mediocre
    • Good
    • Excellent
    • NVMe

in the context of rwmix=75 assuming this is close to real usage.

also when doing fio sometime vps i observe IOPS drop to 0 (fluctuate up and down), but the result end up to be a good average.
    if this behaviour is concluded to be bad for real usage, maybe it can be discussed for future tests to also detect this "anomaly"

Thanked by (1)Mason

I bench YABS 24/7/365 unless it's a leap year.

• @Daniel said:

@poisson said: I think it is better to read and write the same amounts of data.

You're very unlikely to hit that in real life though - Usually you have far more reads vs writes, except in some particular cases (eg. a database server could be write-heavy if it's primarily for transactions instead of analytics).

I don't disagree, but for me when it is 50-50 with a 4GB test file size, I think there is enough data both reading and writing to give a good overall view of performance. I would also argue that with a 50-50 yes, the reading IOPS will go down, but you are likely to get performance that exceeds this value, while for writing, you get a value that is closer to the true capability of the disk than one that is artificially low and may make people mistakenly conclude the writing sucks (and I think a lot of people want to see accurate writing speeds more than they want to see flashy read numbers).

I don't think we can ever come to an agreement what's the best, but I think 50-50 is good for the aforementioned reasons.

Thanked by (1)Mason

Deals and Reviews: LowEndBoxes Review | Avoid dodgy providers with The LEBRE Whitelist | Free hosting (with conditions): Evolution-Host, NanoKVM, FreeMach, ServedEZ | Get expert copyediting and copywriting help at The Write Flow

• MasonMason AdministratorOG

We'll probably all have to agree to disagree. The past few comments really showcase something that I've been struggling with -- creating a "one-size-fits-all" test is HARD. lol :tongue:

Thanked by (3)Dream cybertech uptime

Head Janitor @ LES • AboutRulesSupport

• hey @Mason thanks a lot for your work! as you probably already know I love it!
    now finally everything I like to use for testing (geekbench, fio, iperf) is bundled in one script and don't need to lookup download-links and stuff anymore.

finally signed up here just to let you know ;-)

Thanked by (1)Mason

Big update just pushed to the repo finally with a whole lot of goodies (@Falzo - fio is finally here!). I tested the script with pretty much every Hetzner and Vultr CentOS, Ubuntu, Debian, and Fedora templates to make sure it's pretty robust and compatible with most Linux-based OSes..

Biggest updates:

• fio - fio disk benchmarking tool is added to the script in place of the sequential (dd) test
    • IPv6-only compatibility - the script will now work on IPv6-only VMs (instructions in readme) (Geekbench 4 won't work since it requires IPv4 to download the files - might look into workaround)
    • 32-bit compatibility - if a 32-bit architecture is detected, then the 32-bit fio and iperf3 binaries will be downloaded instead

Pre-compiled binaries are included in the project's bin directory. The readme explains why these are necessary, but it pretty much boils down to attempting to make running the script as simple as possible for the user. Please test it out and let me know if you have any trouble with the new script. I've tried to make it as robust as possible, but I'm sure I've missed some edge cases :)

Here's the current output --

# ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## #
    #              Yet-Another-Bench-Script              #
    #                     v2020-02-04                    #
    # https://github.com/masonr/yet-another-bench-script #

Tue Feb  4 19:04:24 UTC 2020

Basic System Information:
    ---------------------------------
    Processor  : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1270 v6 @ 3.80GHz
    CPU cores  : 8 @ 800.098 MHz
    AES-NI     : ✔ Enabled
    VM-x/AMD-V : ✔ Enabled
    RAM        : 31G
    Swap       : 0B
    Disk       : 221G

fio Disk Speed Tests (Mixed R/W 50/50):
    Block Size | 4kb           (IOPS) | 64kb          (IOPS)
      ------   | ---            ----  | ----           ----
    Read       | 69.37 MB/s   (17.3k) | 106.51 MB/s   (1.6k)
    Write      | 69.57 MB/s   (17.3k) | 107.07 MB/s   (1.6k)
    Total      | 138.94 MB/s  (34.7k) | 213.59 MB/s   (3.3k)
               |                      |
    Block Size | 512kb         (IOPS) | 1mb           (IOPS)
      ------   | -----          ----  | ---            ----
    Read       | 133.52 MB/s    (260) | 141.90 MB/s    (138)
    Write      | 140.61 MB/s    (274) | 151.35 MB/s    (147)
    Total      | 274.13 MB/s    (534) | 293.26 MB/s    (285)

iperf3 Network Speed Tests (IPv4):
    Provider                  | Location (Link)           | Send Speed      | Recv Speed
                              |                           |                 |
    Bouygues Telecom          | Paris, FR (10G)           | 1.41 Gbits/sec  | 1.13 Gbits/sec
    Online.net                | Paris, FR (10G)           | 1.44 Gbits/sec  | 1.29 Gbits/sec
    Worldstream               | The Netherlands (10G)     | 1.18 Gbits/sec  | 1.22 Gbits/sec
    wilhelm.tel               | Hamburg, DE (10G)         | 805 Mbits/sec   | 1.13 Gbits/sec
    Biznet                    | Bogor, Indonesia (1G)     | 768 Mbits/sec   | 38.5 Mbits/sec
    Hostkey                   | Moscow, RU (1G)           | 503 Mbits/sec   | 686 Mbits/sec
    Velocity Online           | Tallahassee, FL, US (10G) | 2.74 Gbits/sec  | 2.67 Gbits/sec
    Airstream Communications  | Eau Claire, WI, US (10G)  | 3.36 Gbits/sec  | 963 Mbits/sec
    Hurricane Electric        | Fremont, CA, US (10G)     | 6.34 Gbits/sec  | 3.76 Gbits/sec

iperf3 Network Speed Tests (IPv6):
    Provider                  | Location (Link)           | Send Speed      | Recv Speed
                              |                           |                 |
    Bouygues Telecom          | Paris, FR (10G)           | 1.44 Gbits/sec  | 1.25 Gbits/sec
    Online.net                | Paris, FR (10G)           | 1.36 Gbits/sec  | 972 Mbits/sec
    Worldstream               | The Netherlands (10G)     | 1.19 Gbits/sec  | 1.20 Gbits/sec
    wilhelm.tel               | Hamburg, DE (10G)         | 826 Mbits/sec   | 1.14 Gbits/sec
    Airstream Communications  | Eau Claire, WI, US (10G)  | busy            | busy
    Hurricane Electric        | Fremont, CA, US (10G)     | 6.36 Gbits/sec  | 2.95 Gbits/sec

Geekbench 4 Benchmark Test:
    Test            | Value
                    |
    Single Core     | 5587
    Multi Core      | 19093
    Full Test       | https://browser.geekbench.com/v4/cpu/15200550

• @Mason said:
    Big update just pushed to the repo finally with a whole lot of goodies (@Falzo - fio is finally here!). I tested the script with pretty much every Hetzner and Vultr CentOS, Ubuntu, Debian, and Fedora templates to make sure it's pretty robust and compatible with most Linux-based OSes..

Biggest updates:

• fio - fio disk benchmarking tool is added to the script in place of the sequential (dd) test
    • IPv6-only compatibility - the script will now work on IPv6-only VMs (instructions in readme) (Geekbench 4 won't work since it requires IPv4 to download the files - might look into workaround)
    • 32-bit compatibility - if a 32-bit architecture is detected, then the 32-bit fio and iperf3 binaries will be downloaded instead

Pre-compiled binaries are included in the project's bin directory. The readme explains why these are necessary, but it pretty much boils down to attempting to make running the script as simple as possible for the user. Please test it out and let me know if you have any trouble with the new script. I've tried to make it as robust as possible, but I'm sure I've missed some edge cases :)

Here's the current output --

> # ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## #
    > #              Yet-Another-Bench-Script              #
    > #                     v2020-02-04                    #
    > # https://github.com/masonr/yet-another-bench-script #
    > # ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## #
    > 
    > Tue Feb  4 19:04:24 UTC 2020
    > 
    > Basic System Information:
    > ---------------------------------
    > Processor  : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1270 v6 @ 3.80GHz
    > CPU cores  : 8 @ 800.098 MHz
    > AES-NI     : ✔ Enabled
    > VM-x/AMD-V : ✔ Enabled
    > RAM        : 31G
    > Swap       : 0B
    > Disk       : 221G
    > 
    > fio Disk Speed Tests (Mixed R/W 50/50):
    > Block Size | 4kb           (IOPS) | 64kb          (IOPS)
    >   ------   | ---            ----  | ----           ----
    > Read       | 69.37 MB/s   (17.3k) | 106.51 MB/s   (1.6k)
    > Write      | 69.57 MB/s   (17.3k) | 107.07 MB/s   (1.6k)
    > Total      | 138.94 MB/s  (34.7k) | 213.59 MB/s   (3.3k)
    >            |                      |
    > Block Size | 512kb         (IOPS) | 1mb           (IOPS)
    >   ------   | -----          ----  | ---            ----
    > Read       | 133.52 MB/s    (260) | 141.90 MB/s    (138)
    > Write      | 140.61 MB/s    (274) | 151.35 MB/s    (147)
    > Total      | 274.13 MB/s    (534) | 293.26 MB/s    (285)
    > 
    > iperf3 Network Speed Tests (IPv4):
    > Provider                  | Location (Link)           | Send Speed      | Recv Speed
    >                           |                           |                 |
    > Bouygues Telecom          | Paris, FR (10G)           | 1.41 Gbits/sec  | 1.13 Gbits/sec
    > Online.net                | Paris, FR (10G)           | 1.44 Gbits/sec  | 1.29 Gbits/sec
    > Worldstream               | The Netherlands (10G)     | 1.18 Gbits/sec  | 1.22 Gbits/sec
    > wilhelm.tel               | Hamburg, DE (10G)         | 805 Mbits/sec   | 1.13 Gbits/sec
    > Biznet                    | Bogor, Indonesia (1G)     | 768 Mbits/sec   | 38.5 Mbits/sec
    > Hostkey                   | Moscow, RU (1G)           | 503 Mbits/sec   | 686 Mbits/sec
    > Velocity Online           | Tallahassee, FL, US (10G) | 2.74 Gbits/sec  | 2.67 Gbits/sec
    > Airstream Communications  | Eau Claire, WI, US (10G)  | 3.36 Gbits/sec  | 963 Mbits/sec
    > Hurricane Electric        | Fremont, CA, US (10G)     | 6.34 Gbits/sec  | 3.76 Gbits/sec
    > 
    > iperf3 Network Speed Tests (IPv6):
    > Provider                  | Location (Link)           | Send Speed      | Recv Speed
    >                           |                           |                 |
    > Bouygues Telecom          | Paris, FR (10G)           | 1.44 Gbits/sec  | 1.25 Gbits/sec
    > Online.net                | Paris, FR (10G)           | 1.36 Gbits/sec  | 972 Mbits/sec
    > Worldstream               | The Netherlands (10G)     | 1.19 Gbits/sec  | 1.20 Gbits/sec
    > wilhelm.tel               | Hamburg, DE (10G)         | 826 Mbits/sec   | 1.14 Gbits/sec
    > Airstream Communications  | Eau Claire, WI, US (10G)  | busy            | busy
    > Hurricane Electric        | Fremont, CA, US (10G)     | 6.36 Gbits/sec  | 2.95 Gbits/sec
    > 
    > Geekbench 4 Benchmark Test:
    > Test            | Value
    >                 |
    > Single Core     | 5587
    > Multi Core      | 19093
    > Full Test       | https://browser.geekbench.com/v4/cpu/15200550
    > 

You are not sexy.

You are SEX!

Thanked by (1)Mason
  • Hey @Mason... yabs.sh is available to buy right now... maybe we can have a shortened URL? :) Pretty please?

Thanked by (1)Mason

Cheap dedis are my drug, and I'm too far gone to turn back.

@CamoYoshi said:
    Hey @Mason... yabs.sh is available to buy right now... maybe we can have a shortened URL? :) Pretty please?

I was eyeballing that domain a couple weeks ago. Screw it... let's do it. Just registered it, I'll set up a shortened URL soon(tm). I'll probably just have it redirect to the github page fwiw. I'd rather keep all files and such on there for openness sake and so I don't have to worry about syncing the files.

• Awesome updates to my favorite bench script. Thank you @Mason!

Thanked by (1)Mason

It don’t be like it is until it do.

• @Mason said:

@CamoYoshi said:
    Hey @Mason... yabs.sh is available to buy right now... maybe we can have a shortened URL? :) Pretty please?

I was eyeballing that domain a couple weeks ago. Screw it... let's do it. Just registered it, I'll set up a shortened URL soon(tm). I'll probably just have it redirect to the github page fwiw. I'd rather keep all files and such on there for openness sake and so I don't have to worry about syncing the files.

Could also set up yabs.sh/run or something as a 301 redirect to the raw.githubblahblah URL too :) -- and perhaps a yabs.sh/run6 for the IPv6 version!

Thank you, BTW! I will have to try this on my servers this weekend.

Thanked by (1)Mason

• Nice going. Waiting for the update to Geekbench 5 next!

Thanked by (1)Mason

Deals and Reviews: LowEndBoxes Review | Avoid dodgy providers with The LEBRE Whitelist | Free hosting (with conditions): Evolution-Host, NanoKVM, FreeMach, ServedEZ | Get expert copyediting and copywriting help at The Write Flow

@poisson said:
    Nice going. Waiting for the update to Geekbench 5 next!

That's the next change I have planned right now. I'll let users pass a flag to still use the Geekbench 4 test, but once I have Geekbench 5 test in there, that'll be the new default.

edited February 2020

@CamoYoshi said:

@Mason said:

@CamoYoshi said:

Could also set up yabs.sh/run or something as a 301 redirect to the raw.githubblahblah URL too :) -- and perhaps a yabs.sh/run6 for the IPv6 version!

Domain is set up now with appropriate redirects.

curl -sL yabs.sh | bash

How's that for short? :)

Redirection is based on user agent. Curl/wget requests will be redirected to the raw script content, while http requests will go to the main github project page. Thanks again for the neat idea! I'll get the docs updated soon.

Edit: Will have to test and work on IPv6 as I don't think this will work yet on IPv6-only VMs.

• @Mason said:

@CamoYoshi said:

@Mason said:

@CamoYoshi said:

Domain is set up now with appropriate redirects.

curl -sL yabs.sh | bash

How's that for short? :)

Redirection is based on user agent. Curl/wget requests will be redirected to the raw script content, while http requests will go to the main github project page. Thanks again for the neat idea! I'll get the docs updated soon.

Edit: Will have to test and work on IPv6 as I don't think this will work yet on IPv6-only VMs.

You sir are the MVP of benchmarking scripts IMO. Thank you!!!

Thanked by (2)Mason poisson

• Thanks @Mason for the tweaks and folks for suggestions ....

One silly question: is it typical to see @ 20-24 GB bandwidth consumption for every instance the updated YABS is run?

Thanks

Thanked by (1)Mason

Squats are the new Push-ups

@vyas said:
    Thanks @Mason for the tweaks and folks for suggestions ....

One silly question: is it typical to see @ 20-24 GB bandwidth consumption for every instance the updated YABS is run?

Thanks

Honestly, I'm not sure but that's something I should probably test and put in the readme somewhere ;)

Thanked by (1)vyas

• WSSWSS OGRetired

@vyas said:

Nah, it usually uses 40,503GB. Ya know, and at least 100% of each core for 10 days. Gotta make sure that $2/mo service you bought is prem.

My pronouns are like/subscribe.

• @WSS said:

@vyas said:

Nah, it usually uses 40,503GB. Ya know, and at least 100% of each core for 10 days. Gotta make sure that $2/mo service you bought is prem.

Actually for a $4 /year, 2 00 GB/month plan I will only be able to run YABS less than 8 times. That’s the concern. Got to keep that idler in shape.

• WSSWSS OGRetired

@vyas said:

@WSS said:

@vyas said:

Actually for a $4 /year, 2 00 GB/month plan I will only be able to run YABS less than 8 times. That’s the concern. Got to keep that idler in shape.

You can always SIGKILL/SIGSTOP it and hope it doesn't use any real ticks.. might be able to double that.

My pronouns are like/subscribe.

• looks good .

Thanked by (1)Mason
  • edited February 2020

Thanks @Mason I'm going to add it to my Knowledgebase for my clients to use, as it will be great for them to have! :)

Thanked by (1)Mason

VPS Aliens | AS207328 | Your Portal to Alien Class Servers & Support!
    █ VPS Solutions | Dedicated Servers | KVM VPS Reseller | 10Gbps Ports

edited February 2020

Newest batch of updates were just pushed --

• Geekbench 5 - using v5 test by default now (can be overridden with the '-4' flag)
    • Local fio/iperf3 Packages - local packages will take precedence over precompiled binaries, so if fio and/or iperf3 are already installed on the tested system, it will use the local packages instead. Should help iron out the incompatibility issues with the precompiled binaries
    • dd Fallback - if the fio disk test fails for whatever reason, the script will run a dd test instead and show those results so the disk is tested in some way rather than not at all
    • Added a 'reduce' option ('-r' flag), which will reduce the number of tested iperf3 locations to reduce the bandwidth burden on the tested system. It will limit the iperf3 tests to only use three locations (Online.net (FR), WorldStream (NL), and Hurricane Electric (US))
    • Added a help printout option ('-h' flag), which can be treated as a dry-run for the script. It will tell you the usage, accepted flags, detected host arch (x64/x86), detected flags (whatever you passed it along with the -h flag), and the local package check (if preinstalled fio/iperf3 are detected)

Please report any errors to me and I'll get them addressed. Cheers!

Here's the sample help output --

~/yet-another-bench-script$ ./yabs.sh -id4hr
    #              Yet-Another-Bench-Script              #
    #                     v2020-02-10                    #
    # https://github.com/masonr/yet-another-bench-script #

Mon Feb 10 23:50:10 EST 2020

Usage: ./yabs.sh [-fdighr4]
           curl -sL yabs.sh | bash
           curl -sL yabs.sh | bash -s -- -{fdighr4}

Flags:
           -f/d : skips the fio disk benchmark test
           -i : skips the iperf network test
           -g : skips the geekbench performance test
           -h : prints this lovely message, shows any flags you passed,
                shows if fio/iperf3 local packages have been detected,
                then exits
           -r : reduce number of iperf3 network locations (to only three)
                to lessen bandwidth usage
           -4 : use geekbench 4 instead of geekbench 5

Detected Arch: x64

Detected Flags:
           -f/d, skipping fio disk benchmark test
           -i, skipping iperf network test
           -r, using reduced (3) iperf3 locations
           -4, running geekbench 4 instead of 5

Local Binary Check:
           fio not detected, will download precompiled binary
           iperf3 detected, using local package

Exiting...

Thanked by (4)poisson flips vyas ouvoun

• @vyas said:
    Thanks @Mason for the tweaks and folks for suggestions ....

Thanks

iperf can use a lot of data, and you need enough data transfer to get a more accurate result

Thanked by (1)Mason

• vyasvyas OG
    edited February 2020

@Mason
    Thanks for the updates. The-r flag helps.

Just tested with a few flags on different setups, work great.

The reason I brought imthe bandwidth issue was - because I have a super cheap plan ($4/year) that comes with 100 gb/year. I ran two yabs instances - once because session cut mid way . Fortunately realized the bandwidth impact and let the vps idle for the remainder of the billing period.
    Sort of.

@poisson,

I am aware of the impact of iperf- albeit only recent months

My concern was regarding plans with limited bandwidth as mentioned above.

Add to that the potential for overage charges or crippling speeds or disabling connectivity as per the TOS of the network provider .

Unfortunately things the way they are, one might end up seeing

“hey running your tests caused me overage charges....”
    Kind of complaints instead of
    “Thank you”

We saw this week how someone complained about a ‘free’ hosting service not working.

Alas....

(End preaching)

Thanked by (1)Mason

• Idk what causes it..

## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ##

Yet-Another-Bench-Script

v2020-02-10

https://github.com/masonr/yet-another-bench-script

## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ##

Tue Mar 3 07:57:15 UTC 2020

Basic System Information:

Processor : Intel(R) Xeon(R) Platinum 8175M CPU @ 2.50GHz
    CPU cores : 2 @ 2500.000 MHz
    AES-NI : ✔ Enabled
    VM-x/AMD-V : ❌ Disabled
    RAM : 957M
    Swap : 0B
    Disk : 7.7G

Geekbench 5 test failed. Run manually to determine cause.

• @Satnamigyz said:
    Idk what causes it..

Not enough RAM and no swap.

Thanked by (1)Mason
  • @debaser said:

@Satnamigyz said:
    Idk what causes it..

Geekbench 4 works perfectly

• debaserdebaser OG
    edited March 2020

@Satnamigyz said:

@debaser said:

@Satnamigyz said:
    Idk what causes it..

Geekbench 4 works perfectly

Well, as that's an older version it's probably expected. I've had trouble running Geekbench 5 on <2GB ram machines too.

@Satnamigyz said: Idk what causes it..

Yep, probably what @debaser said.

Did you try running it manually (https://www.geekbench.com/)? What errors do you get?

• Adding swap was nescessary for GeekBench5 to work on my 1GB VPS.

Thanked by (1)Mason