microLXC Public Test

Comments

• edited December 2023

I changed nothing.
    Just launched the new VM in Zudafrika, tried to connect with the ssh key over IPv4+high port mentioned in the dashboard, it failed, tried with the IPv6 mentioned, it worked.

root@lxcae31db10:~#  netstat -puant
    Active Internet connections (servers and established)
    Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address           Foreign Address         State       PID/Program name
    tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:22              0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN      607/sshd: /usr/sbin
    tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:5355            0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN      137/systemd-resolve
    tcp        0      0 127.0.0.54:53           0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN      137/systemd-resolve
    tcp        0      0 127.0.0.53:53           0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN      137/systemd-resolve
    tcp6       0      0 :::22                   :::*                    LISTEN      607/sshd: /usr/sbin
    tcp6       0      0 :::5355                 :::*                    LISTEN      137/systemd-resolve

• @Shot² said:
    I changed nothing.
    Just launched the new VM in Zudafrika, tried to connect with the ssh key over IPv4+high port mentioned in the dashboard, it failed, tried with the IPv6 mentioned, it worked.

Okay, gonna take a look when I have time.

Thanked by (1)Shot²
  • We are glad to see the Enable IPv9 button added to microLXC dashboard.
    We are looking forward to see this button becoming functional.

Thanked by (3)Neoon Otus9051 Ganonk

ServerFactory aff best VPS; HostBrr aff best storage.

• NeoonNeoon OG
    edited December 2023

@yoursunny said:
    We are glad to see the Enable IPv9 button added to microLXC dashboard.
    We are looking forward to see this button becoming functional.

We also have a IPv5 button and a BGP button.
    However, they have not been functional yet.

The closest thing that could be functional, would be BGP.
    Since LXD has integrated BGP Support, plus BakkerIT offered BGP for microLXC.
    https://documentation.ubuntu.com/lxd/en/latest/howto/network_bgp/

However, for me is a skill issue, I don't speak BGP, I never ran or owned my own ASN.
    I could though, but before someone told me BGP is just a TCP stream, I though it would be a connection to the heavens.

Thanked by (1)Ganonk
  • NeoonNeoon OG
    edited December 2023

SG & NL is back available.
    Plus, the Dashboard will show you now how much Memory you have spend and how much you can spend.

Smol useful feature.
    @Shot² I will check on Africa next.

Thanked by (1)sh97
  • NeoonNeoon OG
    edited December 2023

@Shot² said:
    I changed nothing.

root@lxcae31db10:~#  netstat -puant
    Active Internet connections (servers and established)
    Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address           Foreign Address         State       PID/Program name
    tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:22              0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN      607/sshd: /usr/sbin
    tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:5355            0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN      137/systemd-resolve
    tcp        0      0 127.0.0.54:53           0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN      137/systemd-resolve
    tcp        0      0 127.0.0.53:53           0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN      137/systemd-resolve
    tcp6       0      0 :::22                   :::*                    LISTEN      607/sshd: /usr/sbin
    tcp6       0      0 :::5355                 :::*                    LISTEN      137/systemd-resolve

Okay so, for some reason your container pulled the .75, it suppose to get .66 to have proper forwarding.
    Its in the correct network segment, everything looks fine, since we do a /28 per container.

But I can't explain yet, why you got the .75 within your allocated network segment.
    What OS did you use?

• edited December 2023

Debian 12 Bookworm. Same specs and OS as in other locations; no such issue with CL, NZ, SG.

Maybe 75 is the new 66.

• NeoonNeoon OG
    edited December 2023

@Shot² said:
    Debian 12 Bookworm.

Maybe 75 is the new 66.

Nah, it has allocated you correctly, I double checked.
    Can't reproduce it either with Bookworm, neither can I find a other container on any of the nodes with that issue.

You can try a reinstall or set it to .66 static or just add .66

• edited December 2023

Redeploying from scratch right now in ZA with the same settings. Let's see.

edit: now it works as expected. oh well.

• NeoonNeoon OG
    edited December 2023

@Shot² said:
    Redeploying from scratch right now in ZA with the same settings. Let's see.

edit: now it works as expected. oh well.

Nice, you could just run ip address add 10.0.x.66/32 dev eth0 though.
    No idea why the DHCP gave you .75

• It was to test whether the wrong assigment was exactly repeatable, or the result of a transient glitch. Damn you, cosmic rays.

• bcfd-9be7-eb95-0159

don't ask why

youtube.com/watch?v=k1BneeJTDcU
    All of my VMs: https://nodecheck.net/s/otusibrc/

• As per request I added Alpine, 3.18 also added Devuan Daedalus ( Debian 12 )

Was a bit more work, since microLXC never saved the installed OS, it wasn't necessary after deployment.
    However to spawn the correct shell when you use _Console its now needed for Alpine since its uses ash instead of bash.

Thanked by (3)balloon bliss ElonBezos
  • NeoonNeoon OG
    edited December 2023

Stock update / Maintenance
    We have a bunch of nodes that still have spare capacity however are limited due to the current configuration.
    I plan to reboot the following nodes to increase capacity.

• Melbourne
    • Johannesburg
    • Auckland
    • Valdivia

At around 19:00 UTC Wednesday next week.
    Expect a few minutes of downtime while the nodes will be rebooted.

Thanked by (1)carlin0
  • Regarding Japan, I am still waiting for IPv6.
    However, I will patch microLXC for NAT only, when the IPv6 prefix will become available it should be possible to enable it without a reboot and add a button to the Panel, so you can let microLXC assign you a /64 prefix.

Thanked by (3)Shot² Ganonk balloon
  • @Neoon said:
    Stock update / Maintenance
    We have a bunch of nodes that still have spare capacity however are limited due to the current configuration.
    I plan to reboot the following nodes to increase capacity.

• Melbourne
    • Johannesburg
    • Auckland
    • Valdivia

At around 19:00 UTC Wednesday next week.
    Expect a few minutes of downtime while the nodes will be rebooted.

Done, restock will happen later though.

Thanked by (2)ZA_capetown balloon
  • I've maybe been F5'ing a bit too anxiously the last half hour, to try and not miss ZA/Jhb again :o

• @ZA_capetown said:
    I've maybe been F5'ing a bit too anxiously the last half hour, to try and not miss ZA/Jhb again :o

restock will happen later though, no ETA.
    I have to rest my left hand for 2 weeks.

I also have to check how much I can restock and take a look at the current usage, maybe apply some rules.

Thanked by (2)bliss ZA_capetown
  • @Neoon said:

I also have to check how much I can restock and take a look at the current usage, maybe apply some rules.

No problem, and thanks for letting me/us know, appreciate it - I won't F5 anymore. :-)

Health should always come first, even though we sometimes forget the importance.

What happened to your left hand, will everything be ok?
    ( Hand injuries can really suck and can take very long to recover )

ps: Would you suggest I apply so long and select an EU location to 'get onto the system' so long (hopefully) and then later change, or should I rather not and just wait until the restocks before I apply at all?

• @Neoon said:

Is the left hand doing what @ehab thinks it's doing?

Thanked by (1)ehab

• @yoursunny said:

@Neoon said:

Is the left hand doing what @ehab thinks it's doing?

No idea what @ehab is thinking.

@ZA_capetown said:

@Neoon said:

No problem, and thanks for letting me/us know, appreciate it - I won't F5 anymore. :-)

Health should always come first, even though we sometimes forget the importance.

What happened to your left hand, will everything be ok?
    ( Hand injuries can really suck and can take very long to recover )

No idea, should be fine though.

ps: Would you suggest I apply so long and select an EU location to 'get onto the system' so long (hopefully) and then later change, or should I rather not and just wait until the restocks before I apply at all?

Does not really make a difference.

Thanked by (1)ZA_capetown
  • NAT only is done and tested, however I still going to write some additional tests for the buildserver.
    I didn't had time yet adding the requested os images or smaller packages.

• NeoonNeoon OG
    edited December 2023

JP2 is available now, no IPv6 yet only NAT, IPv6 will be available once I got the Prefix.
    Thanks to @Abdullah / https://webhorizon.net/

Currently 3 Packages are available.

• 1x Core (50%), 128MB, 2.5GB ZFS, 200GB with 100Mbit
    • 1x Core (50%), 256MB, 3.5GB ZFS, 200GB with 100Mbit
    • 1x Core (50%), 512MB, 5GB ZFS, 200GB with 200Mbit

If you have any suggestions, lemme know.

Thanked by (1)yoursunny
  • 64 MB package please.

Why?

• @jmaxwell said:
    64 MB package please.

Yeah, I have to add a whitelist feature for operating systems that work on low memory systems before I can just add a 64MB Package.

Thanked by (1)jmaxwell
  • @jmaxwell said:
    64 MB package please.

32 MB package please.
    It's enough for a heavy user load.

Linux will run happily with only 8 MB of RAM, including all of the bells and whistles such as the X Window System, Emacs, and so on. However, having more memory is almost as important as having a faster processor. Sixteen megabytes is just enough for personal use; 32 MB or more may be needed if you are expecting a heavy user load on the system.

• edited December 2023

@yoursunny said:

@jmaxwell said:
    64 MB package please.

32 MB package please.
    It's enough for a heavy user load.

Linux will run happily with only 8 MB of RAM, including all of the bells and whistles such as the X Window System, Emacs, and so on. However, having more memory is almost as important as having a faster processor. Sixteen megabytes is just enough for personal use; 32 MB or more may be needed if you are expecting a heavy user load on the system.

Thats even better

Why?

• As per Request, I added a 64MB Package.
    Currently Alpine is the only whitelisted OS, others will be added.

Restock is next on the list, also have to add the new Node from @host_c

• A few things, before I restock.
    The Resource allocation now works a bit differently, if you deploy more than 1 Container on the same Node, the cost will increase.
    Given by the amount of containers you have/want to deploy.

For example you already have 1 Container on the same Node and you want to deploy another one.
    The cost (memory allocation) is doubled, for the 3rd its tripled and so on.

I prefer this instead of a hard limit per node.
    Second thing, regarding bigger Packages.

Currently it works like this, you can grab any Package, as long the Node has the Memory available.
    However, if the Node is getting low on Memory, it doesn't make much sense, especially on bigger packages.

Lets say the demand on one Node is high, it has roughly 1GB of Memory left to allocate, it would still offer you the 512MB Packages.
    This changes by now, in this case, the highest Package that would be available is the 256MB Package.

If the available memory gets lower, it would offer you the next smaller package respectively, downwards to 64MB.
    In the case its possible to get the Node upgraded, I will do so.

Feedback?

• @Neoon said:
    The Resource allocation now works a bit differently, if you deploy more than 1 Container on the same Node, the cost will increase.
    Given by the amount of containers you have/want to deploy.

For example you already have 1 Container on the same Node and you want to deploy another one.
    The cost (memory allocation) is doubled, for the 3rd its tripled and so on.

Suppose I consider to downgrade but I need to test whether the application would actually work in the smaller package before deleting the larger package:

1. Start with container A with 256MB.
    2. Create container B with 128MB, counted as 256MB.
    3. I do my test in container B and find that it works in the smaller package.
    4. Delete container A.

Does container B revert to 128MB cost at this point?