microLXC Public Test

Comments

• @yoursunny said:

@Neoon said:
    The Resource allocation now works a bit differently, if you deploy more than 1 Container on the same Node, the cost will increase.
    Given by the amount of containers you have/want to deploy.

For example you already have 1 Container on the same Node and you want to deploy another one.
    The cost (memory allocation) is doubled, for the 3rd its tripled and so on.

Suppose I consider to downgrade but I need to test whether the application would actually work in the smaller package before deleting the larger package:

1. Start with container A with 256MB.
    2. Create container B with 128MB, counted as 256MB.
    3. I do my test in container B and find that it works in the smaller package.
    4. Delete container A.

Does container B revert to 128MB cost at this point?

Yeah, what Node are you talking about?
    I might consider applying it only on Nodes with less than 8GB of memory.

• edited December 2023

@Neoon said:

@yoursunny said:

@Neoon said:
    The Resource allocation now works a bit differently, if you deploy more than 1 Container on the same Node, the cost will increase.

For example you already have 1 Container on the same Node and you want to deploy another one.

Suppose I consider to downgrade but I need to test whether the application would actually work in the smaller package before deleting the larger package:

4. Delete container A.

I want downgrade in Singapore, as I have 256MB but the application might work on 128MB.

However, this is not about specific node, but the general application logic.
    I think the most fair way would be:

1. Largest container costs 1x.
    2. Second largest container costs 2x.
    3. Third largest container costs 3x.

… regardless of creation and deletion order.
    The costs are reevaluated upon creating or deleting a container.

ServerFactory aff best VPS; HostBrr aff best storage.

• @yoursunny said:

@Neoon said:

@yoursunny said:

@Neoon said:

4. Delete container A.

I want downgrade in Singapore, as I have 256MB but the application might work on 128MB.

However, this is not about specific node, but the general application logic.
    I think the most fair way would be:

Singapore isn't a small node, hence the rule would not apply.
    If I exclude nodes bigger than 8GB, Singapore, Japan... would not be on that list.

However, all other nodes in APAC, Africa, South Africa would be.
    Nodes in Europe would be neither on that list.

1. Largest container costs 1x.
    2. Second largest container costs 2x.
    3. Third largest container costs 3x.

… regardless of creation and deletion order.
    The costs are reevaluated upon creating or deleting a container.

The point is, small nodes, have not as much resources.
    So you want people not to deploy their allocation mostly there right.

Hence the cost increase if you go for a second container.

• … or just disallow two containers in the same place, but enable upgrade/downgrade button.

• @yoursunny said:
    … or just disallow two containers in the same place, but enable upgrade/downgrade button.

I am still against hard limits, would be easily added though.
    Upgrade/Downgrade is a nice Feature surely, however has its limitations too.

For example does not work / risky with KVM, at least downgrades.
    At some point I will add it, but not now.

• Change of plans, since I got some feedback.
    The cost increase will depend on the Node size.

If the Node has more than 8GB of memory, 2 containers will be calculated as before.
    The 3rd, is going to cost double.

If the Node has less than 8GB of memory, 1 container will be calculated as before.
    The second container, is going to cost double and so on.

This does not take the size of the Package into account.
    If the Node already is low on memory, even a 64MB Package would count.

Since I probably even add a 32MB Package and I don't want to cut the traffic by half, again.
    I won't exclude anything smaller than 128MB.

On bigger nodes, this rule might have an exception in the future, if traffic isn't a problem.

Thanked by (2)jmaxwell Shot²
  • OK now my head hurts

• @Neoon

So for the future, no more limit qty of how many container we can create?

Second, all locations seems oos.

Third, what does a bar showing 768MB | 1280MB on top of dashboard menu mean?

• @Fritz said: Third, what does a bar showing 768MB | 1280MB on top of dashboard menu mean?

Means you can deploy several more VPS in terms of memory.

MicroLXC is lovable.

• NeoonNeoon OG
    edited December 2023

@Fritz said:
    @Neoon

So for the future, no more limit qty of how many container we can create?

Nobody said that, you still have a limit.
    The Limit works different though.

Second, all locations seems oos.

Yes because we had an increase of roughly 100% and I am currently reworking the memory calculation

Third, what does a bar showing 768MB | 1280MB on top of dashboard menu mean?

Your memory you already used and what you have available.

In exchange of a backlink I did increase the quota to 2, so you could deploy a second container.
    Currently this does reflect for some people as 2048MB.

However, given you can deploy a second container anyway, this is likely to be reset to 1024MB.

• Oradea is now available, Native IPv6 however only a /70 and depending on version and distro, manual configuration might be required.
    In future we should get a bigger IPv6 Prefix, so it will work out of the box.

Thanks to @host_c / https://www.host-c.com

Currently 4 Packages are available.

• 1x Core (25%), 64MB, 1.3GB ZFS, 200GB with 100Mbit
    • 1x Core (50%), 128MB, 2.5GB ZFS, 400GB with 100Mbit
    • 1x Core (50%), 256MB, 3.5GB ZFS, 400GB with 100Mbit
    • 1x Core (50%), 512MB, 5GB ZFS, 400GB with 200Mbit

The new memory calculation is also live, feel free to check it.

• I just found out my stats clear me for access!

Wohoo :-)

The concept has intrigued me, but I have no experience with it yet. If I apply for a spot in Oradea, can I still apply for a new one or a replacement when another location becomes available? I already have a NAT VPS with, well, eh, NATVPS, in Orastie.

With 200km it's not directly around the corner from Oradea, but still in Romania as well. Might stock become available in any non-Eurasia datacenter?

• @wankel said:
    I just found out my stats clear me for access!

Wohoo :-)

The concept has intrigued me, but I have no experience with it yet. If I apply for a spot in Oradea, can I still apply for a new one or a replacement when another location becomes available? I already have a NAT VPS with, well, eh, NATVPS, in Orastie.

With 200km it's not directly around the corner from Oradea, but still in Romania as well. Might stock become available in any non-Eurasia datacenter?

You can delete and recreate them as you want.
    I added some Stock, will Restock later again what I can.

Thanked by (1)wankel
  • fd59-9f49-45ac-a0e0

very appreciative, many thanks! :-)

Thanked by (1)Ganonk
  • 5cdf-3b14-37e8-4d95

Looking forward!

• 1be0-ab4c-b5b9-d13e

• Any chance for resource modification?

• @Fritz said:
    Any chance for resource modification?

No, The System is fully automated, there is no Support of any kind to upgrade or modify packages.

• 312e-5479-26bd-dbc4

• @Neoon said:

@Fritz said:
    Any chance for resource modification?

No, The System is fully automated, there is no Support of any kind to upgrade or modify packages.

Understood!

• f4d7-6a4e-bc11-7391

• Good news everyone, Romania has been upgraded to a /64 prefix per container.
    The old prefix will continue to work, however there is currently no button to apply the new network configuration so you essentially stuck on the old prefix until you terminate and deploy again. Reinstall won't change or modify your current allocation.
    Or you wait until the Feature is available, possibly this week.

Big thanks to @host_c

• I restocked some Locations, even if the Node shows Available it can be that its suddenly out of stock due to running out of disk.
    I modified the system to track storage usage too, because of the increased density, it doesn't reflect that yet.

Groningen needs a maintenance before it can get any restocks, possibly in the next weeks.

• @Neoon said:
    I modified the system to track storage usage too, because of the increased density, it doesn't reflect that yet.

Storage oversubscription will end very badly.
    A few users decide to fill their partition => ENOSPC: no space left on device for everyone.

• @yoursunny said:

@Neoon said:

Storage oversubscription will end very badly.
    A few users decide to fill their partition => ENOSPC: no space left on device for everyone.

Nah, microLXC currently does only allocate disk space that physical available.
    Before the patch Johannesburg was slightly overallocated, but the stock system takes care of that after the Patch.

Hence Melbourne and Johannesburg are out of stock or going in and out of stock really quickly, despite having enough memory available but storage is the issue.
    I already asked for Melbourne to get a bigger disk allocation, will see.

Memory is slightly overallocated < 10% but only on bigger nodes, so no issue there.
    Bandwidth wise, 200% - 300% on some nodes, still within limits and if we should hit the bandwidth limit one day, I just ask for an upgrade.

Thanked by (1)yoursunny
  • NeoonNeoon OG
    edited January 20

Since the Traffic allocations have been upgraded in SG and JP, kudos to @Abdullah / https://webhorizon.net
    All Packages in JP have been upgraded by +50GB.
    SG has only one regional Package, mediumSG which also has been upgraded by +50GB.

If someone really needs 250GB in SG, I can create a regional SG package with 250GB allocation, for 256MB and smoler.
    Depending on traffic usage, it might be bumped to 300GB, but will see.

Thanked by (3)bdl tuc Ganonk
  • Viva La MicroLXC

• i still can't ssh to my tyo & nz untill now, is it supposed to be like that? but i confirm still able to connect it via _shell

• @ElonBezos said:
    i still can't ssh to my tyo & nz untill now, is it supposed to be like that? but i confirm still able to connect it via _shell

You have to let me know if you have any issues, but I don't see anything wrong there besides your SSH seems not to be even listening on NZ. Looks more like a issue related to SSH for some reason.

Tokyo no idea, we got 2 Nodes, you have to be more precise.

Thanked by (1)ElonBezos
  • @Neoon said:

Looks more like a issue related to SSH for some reason.

i'll look further in to this

Tokyo no idea, we got 2 Nodes, you have to be more precise.

it said tyo only, the other tyo equinix seems fine for me

anyway unable to ssh is not a big deal for me since i can access them from the portal