Free Crunchbits Bare Metal Server! -- "The Best Deal In Town!"

Comments

• Not_OlesNot_Oles Hosting ProviderContent Writer

Want to see a fun qemu command?

root@Debian-bookworm-latest-amd64-base ~/bashvm # ps aux | grep qemu libvirt+ 5849 5.2 1.4 4337868 942772 ? Sl 05:13 0:33 /usr/bin/qemu-system-x86_64 -name guest=vm1.radium.metalvps.com,debug-threads=on -S -object {"qom-type":"secret","id":"masterKey0","format":"raw","file":"/var/lib/libvirt/qemu/domain-1-vm1.radium.metalvps./master-key.aes"} -machine pc-q35-7.2,usb=off,vmport=off,dump-guest-core=off,memory-backend=pc.ram -accel kvm -cpu host,migratable=on -m 2048 -object {"qom-type":"memory-backend-ram","id":"pc.ram","size":2147483648} -overcommit mem-lock=off -smp 2,sockets=2,cores=1,threads=1 -uuid 62543ff5-04ee-4b87-bc42-057acd477ce3 -smbios type=1,serial=ds=nocloud -no-user-config -nodefaults -chardev socket,id=charmonitor,fd=32,server=on,wait=off -mon chardev=charmonitor,id=monitor,mode=control -rtc base=utc,driftfix=slew -global kvm-pit.lost_tick_policy=delay -no-hpet -no-shutdown -global ICH9-LPC.disable_s3=1 -global ICH9-LPC.disable_s4=1 -boot strict=on -device {"driver":"pcie-root-port","port":16,"chassis":1,"id":"pci.1","bus":"pcie.0","multifunction":true,"addr":"0x2"} -device {"driver":"pcie-root-port","port":17,"chassis":2,"id":"pci.2","bus":"pcie.0","addr":"0x2.0x1"} -device {"driver":"pcie-root-port","port":18,"chassis":3,"id":"pci.3","bus":"pcie.0","addr":"0x2.0x2"} -device {"driver":"pcie-root-port","port":19,"chassis":4,"id":"pci.4","bus":"pcie.0","addr":"0x2.0x3"} -device {"driver":"pcie-root-port","port":20,"chassis":5,"id":"pci.5","bus":"pcie.0","addr":"0x2.0x4"} -device {"driver":"pcie-root-port","port":21,"chassis":6,"id":"pci.6","bus":"pcie.0","addr":"0x2.0x5"} -device {"driver":"pcie-root-port","port":22,"chassis":7,"id":"pci.7","bus":"pcie.0","addr":"0x2.0x6"} -device {"driver":"pcie-root-port","port":23,"chassis":8,"id":"pci.8","bus":"pcie.0","addr":"0x2.0x7"} -device {"driver":"pcie-root-port","port":24,"chassis":9,"id":"pci.9","bus":"pcie.0","multifunction":true,"addr":"0x3"} -device {"driver":"pcie-root-port","port":25,"chassis":10,"id":"pci.10","bus":"pcie.0","addr":"0x3.0x1"} -device {"driver":"pcie-root-port","port":26,"chassis":11,"id":"pci.11","bus":"pcie.0","addr":"0x3.0x2"} -device {"driver":"pcie-root-port","port":27,"chassis":12,"id":"pci.12","bus":"pcie.0","addr":"0x3.0x3"} -device {"driver":"pcie-root-port","port":28,"chassis":13,"id":"pci.13","bus":"pcie.0","addr":"0x3.0x4"} -device {"driver":"pcie-root-port","port":29,"chassis":14,"id":"pci.14","bus":"pcie.0","addr":"0x3.0x5"} -device {"driver":"qemu-xhci","p2":15,"p3":15,"id":"usb","bus":"pci.2","addr":"0x0"} -device {"driver":"virtio-serial-pci","id":"virtio-serial0","bus":"pci.3","addr":"0x0"} -blockdev {"driver":"file","filename":"/var/lib/libvirt/images/debian-12-generic-amd64.qcow2","node-name":"libvirt-3-storage","auto-read-only":true,"discard":"unmap"} -blockdev {"node-name":"libvirt-3-format","read-only":true,"discard":"unmap","driver":"qcow2","file":"libvirt-3-storage","backing":null} -blockdev {"driver":"file","filename":"/var/lib/libvirt/images/vm1.radium.metalvps.com.qcow2","node-name":"libvirt-2-storage","auto-read-only":true,"discard":"unmap"} -blockdev {"node-name":"libvirt-2-format","read-only":false,"discard":"unmap","driver":"qcow2","file":"libvirt-2-storage","backing":"libvirt-3-format"} -device {"driver":"virtio-blk-pci","bus":"pci.4","addr":"0x0","drive":"libvirt-2-format","id":"virtio-disk0","bootindex":1} -blockdev {"driver":"file","filename":"/var/lib/libvirt/boot/virtinst-7ko2o41c-cloudinit.iso","node-name":"libvirt-1-storage","auto-read-only":true,"discard":"unmap"} -blockdev {"node-name":"libvirt-1-format","read-only":true,"driver":"raw","file":"libvirt-1-storage"} -device {"driver":"ide-cd","bus":"ide.0","drive":"libvirt-1-format","id":"sata0-0-0"} -netdev {"type":"tap","fd":"33","vhost":true,"vhostfd":"35","id":"hostnet0"} -device {"driver":"virtio-net-pci","netdev":"hostnet0","id":"net0","mac":"52:54:00:0a:7a:ca","bus":"pci.1","addr":"0x0"} -chardev pty,id=charserial0 -device {"driver":"isa-serial","chardev":"charserial0","id":"serial0","index":0} -chardev socket,id=charchannel0,fd=30,server=on,wait=off -device {"driver":"virtserialport","bus":"virtio-serial0.0","nr":1,"chardev":"charchannel0","id":"channel0","name":"org.qemu.guest_agent.0"} -chardev spicevmc,id=charchannel1,name=vdagent -device {"driver":"virtserialport","bus":"virtio-serial0.0","nr":2,"chardev":"charchannel1","id":"channel1","name":"com.redhat.spice.0"} -device {"driver":"usb-tablet","id":"input0","bus":"usb.0","port":"1"} -audiodev {"id":"audio1","driver":"spice"} -spice port=5900,addr=127.0.0.1,disable-ticketing=on,image-compression=off,seamless-migration=on -device {"driver":"virtio-vga","id":"video0","max_outputs":1,"bus":"pcie.0","addr":"0x1"} -device {"driver":"ich9-intel-hda","id":"sound0","bus":"pcie.0","addr":"0x1b"} -device {"driver":"hda-duplex","id":"sound0-codec0","bus":"sound0.0","cad":0,"audiodev":"audio1"} -chardev spicevmc,id=charredir0,name=usbredir -device {"driver":"usb-redir","chardev":"charredir0","id":"redir0","bus":"usb.0","port":"2"} -chardev spicevmc,id=charredir1,name=usbredir -device {"driver":"usb-redir","chardev":"charredir1","id":"redir1","bus":"usb.0","port":"3"} -device {"driver":"virtio-balloon-pci","id":"balloon0","bus":"pci.5","addr":"0x0"} -object {"qom-type":"rng-random","id":"objrng0","filename":"/dev/urandom"} -device {"driver":"virtio-rng-pci","rng":"objrng0","id":"rng0","bus":"pci.6","addr":"0x0"} -sandbox on,obsolete=deny,elevateprivileges=deny,spawn=deny,resourcecontrol=deny -msg timestamp=on
    root 6080 0.0 0.0 6332 2072 pts/0 S+ 05:24 0:00 grep qemu

Thanked by (1)alamin655

I hope everyone gets the servers they want!

@subenhon said:
    Update and reboot is ok to be done at any time today.
    And add more users and install more things is totally okay.
    @Not_Oles

Hi @subenhon!

It's about time for more updates and maybe even a reboot. \o/ When is a good time for the reboot?

Also, if you do not mind, could you please run a yabs inside your vps and post the results?

Thanks! <3

Tom

Thanked by (1)babywhale

• ssh-ed25519 AAAAC3NzaC1lZDI1NTE5AAAAINQE7lK8hrepLReFB2VBgpBMukrS0y/xdCRYhoyvrDTq [email protected]
    https://github.com/arjung24
    Hey @Not_Oles brother please accept my request.
    I will use the server for to be honest plex (personal use). I need the minimum resources for personal use of plex.

Thanks Brother 🙏🙏

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles

@jgo24 said:
    ssh-ed25519 AAAAC3NzaC1lZDI1NTE5AAAAINQE7lK8hrepLReFB2VBgpBMukrS0y/xdCRYhoyvrDTq [email protected]
    I will use the server for to be honest plex (personal use). I need the minimum resources for personal use of plex.

Thanks Brother 🙏🙏

Hi!

Can you please email me at the address on my profile and from the address on your key? Also, how about setting the key you posted here as the key on your Github account, please?

Thanks!

Tom

• @Not_Oles said:

@jgo24 said:
    ssh-ed25519 AAAAC3NzaC1lZDI1NTE5AAAAINQE7lK8hrepLReFB2VBgpBMukrS0y/xdCRYhoyvrDTq [email protected]

Thanks Brother 🙏🙏

Hi!

Can you please email me at the address on my profile and from the address on your key? Also, how about setting the key you posted here as the key on your Github account, please?

Thanks!

Tom

Mail sent brother
    Please check

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles

@jgo24 It looks like Plex might not be Open Source?

I received your email. Thanks!

• edited February 25

@Not_Oles said:

I added the key in my GitHub account. Please check the mail.

Then what about jellyfin??

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles

@jgo24 said:

@Not_Oles said:

I see the key in your Github. Thanks!

Github makes the keys public. It's okay, the public keys are intended to be public.

I think Jellyfin probably would be okay. I think it's Open Source. Personally I never ran Jellyfin, and so I don't know anything about it.

I am going to give you an account. Soon, but after breakfast. :) Welcome to MetalVPS! :)

Do you know --

• How to install Jellyfin, and

• Resources needed for your use?

• @Not_Oles said:

@jgo24 said:

@Not_Oles said:

I see the key in your Github. Thanks!

Github makes the keys public. It's okay, the public keys are intended to be public.

I think Jellyfin probably would be okay. I think it's Open Source. Personally I never ran Jellyfin, and so I don't know anything about it.

I am going to give you an account. Soon, but after breakfast. :) Welcome to MetalVPS! :)

Do you know --

• How to install Jellyfin, and

• Resources needed for your use?

Thanks a lot brother 😍😍🎉🎉 for accepting me.

Yes i know how to install jellyfin in Ubuntu server. If needed further learning i will try to learn and accomplish it. Hoping your cooperation also. Thanks brother 🙏🙏🙏

Hi @jgo24!

I just made an account for you! I'm looking forward to having you with us and talking with you more here in this thread.

I sent you login information by email, because I didn't want to post the server's IP addresses. Please let me know if you get in okay.

Your user Neighbor account is not yet a member of the sudo group. It's also not yet a member of the KVM group. But we can add you to those groups.

I'm looking at the docs at https://jellyfin.org/docs/general/installation/linux/

Best!

Tom

• edited February 25

@Not_Oles said:
    Hi @jgo24!

I just made an account for you! I'm looking forward to having you with us and talking with you more here in this thread.

I sent you login information by email, because I didn't want to post the server's IP addresses. Please let me know if you get in okay.

Your user Neighbor account is not yet a member of the sudo group. It's also not yet a member of the KVM group. But we can add you to those groups.

I'm looking at the docs at https://jellyfin.org/docs/general/installation/linux/

Best!

Tom

Please add me to sudo group. As i mostly use my phone and termius as my ssh client i need password login for easy access.

Sorry if i am asking something beyond your rules.

Thanks brother

Happy to add you to the sudo group a little later. It's just that you are a little new around here. Meanwhile, I'm happy to run whatever you need. If you kindly send me the commands you want root to run, that would be great.

Looked on Google and quickly found lots of hits about generating ssh keys on termius. If you generate a key on termius, please send the key to me, and I will add it to your account so you can log in with termius.

Best!

• @Not_Oles said:
    Happy to add you to the sudo group a little later. It's just that you are a little new around here. Meanwhile, I'm happy to run whatever you need. If you kindly send me the commands you want root to run, that would be great.

Looked on Google and quickly found lots of hits about generating ssh keys on termius. If you generate a key on termius, please send the key to me, and I will add it to your account so you can log in with termius.

Best!

I created the termius key and sent you.
    Please check

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles

@jgo24 Hmm. How can I say this? I checked a couple things. What I found made me suspect that you know 100 x more than me. And also that you probably have tons of excellent computer and internet resources. So I took the risk of suspending your Crunchy account until we here at LES get to know you better. If you really want a Crunchy account, maybe we can do it before too long. Meanwhile, please hang around here at LES and help folks, including me, by answering their questions. Best wishes! <3

• I would like a free VPS :3

• @Not_Oles said:
    @jgo24 Hmm. How can I say this? I checked a couple things. What I found made me suspect that you know 100 x more than me. And also that you probably have tons of excellent computer and internet resources. So I took the risk of suspending your Crunchy account until we here at LES get to know you better. If you really want a Crunchy account, maybe we can do it before too long. Meanwhile, please hang around here at LES and help folks, including me, by answering their questions. Best wishes! <3

I don't know why you are saying this brother that i have tons of computer and internet resources. It's not true. And for knowledge I know 100x lesser than you.
    But i respect your decision. I respect LES. But it will give me some relief if u kindly tell me what issues suspect u to take that decision against me.

Again saying i am always with your decision. I am always with LES decision.

Thanks Brother 🙏🙏🙏

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles

@alamdarzia said:
    I would like a free VPS :3

Hi @alamdarzia!

Welcome to LES! Congrats on your first comment here! :)

When you read the Original Post in this thread, what did you decide to include when you saw the "Please include" section of the "How To Sign Up" section? Do you have additional information that you want to add to your request?

Best!

Tom

@jgo24 said:

@Not_Oles said:

I don't know why you are saying this brother that i have tons of computer and internet resources. It's not true. And for knowledge I know 100x lesser than you.
    But i respect your decision. I respect LES. But it will give me some relief if u kindly tell me what issues suspect u to take that decision against me.

Thanks Brother 🙏🙏🙏

Thanks for your comment!

The decision I made might be best considered as a decision in your favor rather than a decision against you.

Maybe my decision is offering you an opportunity! Maybe your specific needs might be better served by another provider? If not, maybe we can reactivate your MetalVPS account before too long.

I look forward to seeing you around here at LES, talking with you more, and getting to know you better.

Thanks again for our discussion here! :)

• edited February 26

@Not_Oles said:

@jgo24 said:

@Not_Oles said:

Thanks Brother 🙏🙏🙏

Thanks for your comment!

The decision I made might be best considered as a decision in your favor rather than a decision against you.

Maybe my decision is offering you an opportunity! Maybe your specific needs might be better served by another provider? If not, maybe we can reactivate your MetalVPS account before too long.

I look forward to seeing you around here at LES, talking with you more, and getting to know you better.

Thanks again for our discussion here! :)

Of course brother 🤗🤗
    I am here. I will learn as much as i need. I will try to help the community as much as i know.

We will be talking here further. Thanks brother 😊😊

N.B.: And also reactivate my MetalVPS account when you think it's best for me.

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles

@jgo24 said: N.B.: And also reactivate my MetalVPS account when you think it's best for me.

Nobody ever asked me this before! :star: So I will for sure keep your request in mind! :)

BTW, where / when did you learn Latin? I had to study Latin for two years in school when I was a kid. It was a long time ago. I have forgotten almost all of it. :)

• edited February 26

@Not_Oles said:

@jgo24 said: N.B.: And also reactivate my MetalVPS account when you think it's best for me.

Nobody ever asked me this before! :star: So I will for sure keep your request in mind! :)

BTW, where / when did you learn Latin? I had to study Latin for two years in school when I was a kid. It was a long time ago. I have forgotten almost all of it. :)

For your information I don't know latin. Why do you think brother that i know latin?
    😊😊
    Thanks for considering my request 🙏🙏

• edited February 26

@Not_Oles said: It's about time for more updates and maybe even a reboot. \o/ When is a good time for the reboot?

Also, if you do not mind, could you please run a yabs inside your vps and post the results?

Seems some test failed, and I dont kown why.
    And the server can be reboot at anytime.
    Thanks!Tom :)
    @Not_Oles

# ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## #
    #              Yet-Another-Bench-Script              #
    #                     v2024-01-01                    #
    # https://github.com/masonr/yet-another-bench-script #

Sun 25 Feb 2024 07:27:20 PM CST

Basic System Information:
    ---------------------------------
    Uptime     : 11 days, 21 hours, 10 minutes
    Processor  : QEMU Virtual CPU version 2.5+
    CPU cores  : 4 @ 3503.982 MHz
    AES-NI     : ❌ Disabled
    VM-x/AMD-V : ❌ Disabled
    RAM        : 3.8 GiB
    Swap       : 2.0 GiB
    Disk       : 97.9 GiB
    Distro     : Ubuntu 20.04.6 LTS
    Kernel     : 5.15.0-94-generic
    VM Type    : KVM
    IPv4/IPv6  : ✔ Online / ✔ Online

IPv4 Network Information:
    ISP        : Redoubt Networks
    ASN        : AS400304 Redoubt Networks
    Host       : Atomic Networks LLC
    Location   : Liberty Lake, Washington (WA)
    Country    : United States

Preparing system for disk tests...
    [0KGenerating fio test file...
    [0KRunning fio random mixed R+W disk test with 4k block size...
    [0KRunning fio random mixed R+W disk test with 64k block size...
    [0KRunning fio random mixed R+W disk test with 512k block size...
    [0KRunning fio random mixed R+W disk test with 1m block size...
    [0Kfio Disk Speed Tests (Mixed R/W 50/50) (Partition /dev/sda5):
    Block Size | 4k            (IOPS) | 64k           (IOPS)
      ------   | ---            ----  | ----           ---- 
    Read       | 7.09 MB/s     (1.7k) | 95.50 MB/s    (1.4k)
    Write      | 7.12 MB/s     (1.7k) | 96.01 MB/s    (1.5k)
    Total      | 14.22 MB/s    (3.5k) | 191.52 MB/s   (2.9k)
               |                      |                     
    Block Size | 512k          (IOPS) | 1m            (IOPS)
    Read       | 344.90 MB/s    (673) | 410.84 MB/s    (401)
    Write      | 363.23 MB/s    (709) | 438.20 MB/s    (427)
    Total      | 708.13 MB/s   (1.3k) | 849.04 MB/s    (828)

iperf3 Network Speed Tests (IPv4):
    Provider        | Location (Link)           | Send Speed      | Recv Speed      | Ping           
    -----           | -----                     | ----            | ----            | ----           
    Performing IPv4 iperf3 send test to Clouvider (Attempt #1 of 3)...
    [0KPerforming IPv4 iperf3 recv test from Clouvider (Attempt #1 of 3)...
    [0KClouvider       | London, UK (10G)          | 837 Mbits/sec   | 215 Mbits/sec   | 128 ms         
    Performing IPv4 iperf3 send test to Scaleway (Attempt #1 of 3)...
    [0KPerforming IPv4 iperf3 send test to Scaleway (Attempt #2 of 3)...
    [0KPerforming IPv4 iperf3 send test to Scaleway (Attempt #3 of 3)...
    [0KPerforming IPv4 iperf3 recv test from Scaleway (Attempt #1 of 3)...
    [0KScaleway        | Paris, FR (10G)           | busy            | 604 Mbits/sec   | 142 ms         
    Performing IPv4 iperf3 send test to NovoServe (Attempt #1 of 3)...
    [0KPerforming IPv4 iperf3 recv test from NovoServe (Attempt #1 of 3)...
    [0KNovoServe       | North Holland, NL (40G)   | 841 Mbits/sec   | 600 Mbits/sec   | 134 ms         
    Performing IPv4 iperf3 send test to Uztelecom (Attempt #1 of 3)...
    [0KPerforming IPv4 iperf3 recv test from Uztelecom (Attempt #1 of 3)...
    [0KUztelecom       | Tashkent, UZ (10G)        | 728 Mbits/sec   | 185 Mbits/sec   | 245 ms         
    [0KClouvider       | NYC, NY, US (10G)         | 896 Mbits/sec   | 278 Mbits/sec   | 62.7 ms        
    [0KClouvider       | Dallas, TX, US (10G)      | 890 Mbits/sec   | 394 Mbits/sec   | 69.7 ms        
    [0KPerforming IPv4 iperf3 send test to Clouvider (Attempt #2 of 3)...
    [0KPerforming IPv4 iperf3 send test to Clouvider (Attempt #3 of 3)...
    [0KClouvider       | Los Angeles, CA, US (10G) | 915 Mbits/sec   | 551 Mbits/sec   | 41.0 ms        

iperf3 Network Speed Tests (IPv6):
    Provider        | Location (Link)           | Send Speed      | Recv Speed      | Ping           
    -----           | -----                     | ----            | ----            | ----           
    Performing IPv6 iperf3 send test to Clouvider (Attempt #1 of 3)...
    [0KPerforming IPv6 iperf3 send test to Clouvider (Attempt #2 of 3)...
    [0KPerforming IPv6 iperf3 recv test from Clouvider (Attempt #1 of 3)...
    [0KClouvider       | London, UK (10G)          | 820 Mbits/sec   | 212 Mbits/sec   | 129 ms         
    Performing IPv6 iperf3 send test to Scaleway (Attempt #1 of 3)...
    [0KPerforming IPv6 iperf3 send test to Scaleway (Attempt #2 of 3)...
    [0KPerforming IPv6 iperf3 send test to Scaleway (Attempt #3 of 3)...
    [0KPerforming IPv6 iperf3 recv test from Scaleway (Attempt #1 of 3)...
    [0KPerforming IPv6 iperf3 recv test from Scaleway (Attempt #2 of 3)...
    [0KPerforming IPv6 iperf3 recv test from Scaleway (Attempt #3 of 3)...
    [0KScaleway        | Paris, FR (10G)           | busy            | busy            | --             
    Performing IPv6 iperf3 send test to NovoServe (Attempt #1 of 3)...
    [0KPerforming IPv6 iperf3 recv test from NovoServe (Attempt #1 of 3)...
    [0KNovoServe       | North Holland, NL (40G)   | 824 Mbits/sec   | 514 Mbits/sec   | 134 ms         
    Performing IPv6 iperf3 send test to Uztelecom (Attempt #1 of 3)...
    [0KPerforming IPv6 iperf3 recv test from Uztelecom (Attempt #1 of 3)...
    [0KUztelecom       | Tashkent, UZ (10G)        | 741 Mbits/sec   | 107 Mbits/sec   | 245 ms         
    [0KClouvider       | NYC, NY, US (10G)         | 877 Mbits/sec   | 237 Mbits/sec   | 62.8 ms        
    [0KClouvider       | Dallas, TX, US (10G)      | 878 Mbits/sec   | 372 Mbits/sec   | 70.2 ms        
    [0KClouvider       | Los Angeles, CA, US (10G) | 905 Mbits/sec   | 879 Mbits/sec   | 41.3 ms        

Running GB6 benchmark test... *cue elevator music*
    [0KGeekbench 6 test failed. Run manually to determine cause.

YABS completed in 15 min 31 sec

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles

@jgo24 said: For your information I don't know latin. Why do you think brother that i know latin?

You wrote "N.B." :)

[N.B. means "Note well."](https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nota_bene#:~:text=Nota bene (%2F%CB%88no%CA%8A,appeared%20in%20English%20writing%20c.) I have seeen "N.B." in English, but only rarely in today's English. As mentioned in the linked Wikipedia article, "N.B." is derived from Latin. So I imagined that you might have studied some Latin. :) Like I did, bro! :)

@subenhon said: Seems some test failed, and I dont kown why.
    And the server can be reboot at anytime.
    Thanks!Tom

Oh! Your Yabs result is really interesting and fun! Thanks for posting! Now I get my chance to see if I can duplicate what you posted! Then maybe we can improve! :) More before too long! :)

Reboot coming soon, too, one moment please. . . .

Thanks again!

Thanked by (1)subenhon

• edited February 26

@Not_Oles said:

@jgo24 said: For your information I don't know latin. Why do you think brother that i know latin?

[N.B. means "Note well."](https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nota_bene#:~:text=Nota bene (%2F%CB%88no%CA%8A,appeared%20in%20English%20writing%20c.) I have seeen "N.B." in English, but only rarely in today's English. As mentioned in the linked Wikipedia article, "N.B." is derived from Latin. So I imagined that you might have studied some Latin. :) Like I did, bro! :)

It's our regular practice (using N.B) in English. I meant in my country. I know it's derived from latin. But we use it as it's an original english 😁😁

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles

Reboot seemed to go okay. More soon. . . .

• @jgo24 said:

@Not_Oles said:

It's our regular practice (using N.B) in English. I meant in my country. I know it's derived from latin. But we use it as it's an original english 😁😁

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles

Okay, here's a Yabs run on the Node. Next up is a VPS inside a KVM VPS so we can compare.

ubuntu@crunchy:~$ curl -sL yabs.sh | bash

Mon Feb 26 02:28:51 AM UTC 2024

Uptime     : 0 days, 0 hours, 16 minutes
    Processor  : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1245 v5 @ 3.50GHz
    CPU cores  : 8 @ 3500.000 MHz
    AES-NI     : ✔ Enabled
    VM-x/AMD-V : ✔ Enabled
    RAM        : 62.6 GiB
    Swap       : 4.0 GiB
    Disk       : 3.7 TiB
    Distro     : Ubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
    Kernel     : 5.15.0-97-generic
    VM Type    : NONE

IPv6 Network Information:
    Host       : Crunchbits LLC

fio Disk Speed Tests (Mixed R/W 50/50) (Partition /dev/mapper/vg0-root):
    Read       | 291.73 MB/s  (72.9k) | 177.86 MB/s   (2.7k)
    Write      | 292.50 MB/s  (73.1k) | 178.79 MB/s   (2.7k)
    Total      | 584.24 MB/s (146.0k) | 356.65 MB/s   (5.5k)
               |                      |                     
    Read       | 356.58 MB/s    (696) | 415.63 MB/s    (405)
    Write      | 375.53 MB/s    (733) | 443.32 MB/s    (432)
    Total      | 732.11 MB/s   (1.4k) | 858.95 MB/s    (837)

Clouvider       | London, UK (10G)          | 838 Mbits/sec   | 236 Mbits/sec   | 134 ms         
    Scaleway        | Paris, FR (10G)           | busy            | 579 Mbits/sec   | 142 ms         
    NovoServe       | North Holland, NL (40G)   | 821 Mbits/sec   | 604 Mbits/sec   | 144 ms         
    Uztelecom       | Tashkent, UZ (10G)        | 607 Mbits/sec   | 167 Mbits/sec   | 226 ms         
    Clouvider       | NYC, NY, US (10G)         | 894 Mbits/sec   | 323 Mbits/sec   | 70.2 ms        
    Clouvider       | Dallas, TX, US (10G)      | 890 Mbits/sec   | 399 Mbits/sec   | 77.4 ms        
    Clouvider       | Los Angeles, CA, US (10G) | 915 Mbits/sec   | 764 Mbits/sec   | 39.2 ms        

Clouvider       | London, UK (10G)          | 820 Mbits/sec   | 250 Mbits/sec   | 135 ms         
    Scaleway        | Paris, FR (10G)           | 815 Mbits/sec   | 559 Mbits/sec   | 153 ms         
    NovoServe       | North Holland, NL (40G)   | 818 Mbits/sec   | 566 Mbits/sec   | 144 ms         
    Uztelecom       | Tashkent, UZ (10G)        | 631 Mbits/sec   | 92.3 Mbits/sec  | 224 ms         
    Clouvider       | NYC, NY, US (10G)         | 878 Mbits/sec   | 267 Mbits/sec   | 70.2 ms        
    Clouvider       | Dallas, TX, US (10G)      | 871 Mbits/sec   | 433 Mbits/sec   | 77.1 ms        
    Clouvider       | Los Angeles, CA, US (10G) | 905 Mbits/sec   | 848 Mbits/sec   | 39.3 ms        

Geekbench 6 Benchmark Test:
    Test            | Value                         
                    |                               
    Single Core     | 1418                          
    Multi Core      | 4680                          
    Full Test       | https://browser.geekbench.com/v6/cpu/5071811

YABS completed in 14 min 33 sec
    ubuntu@crunchy:~$ 

Here's another yabs, this time from inside a KVM VM. It's fascinating!

Note that this VM is made a little differently than @subenhon's VM. For this VM I used bashvm, which is a new. very fun bash interface to virsh and libvirt.

I'm running this VM as root, logged in as the user bashvm, via Qemu console. Maybe I get to see some kernel messages that way.

We will have fun figuring out what to do about the segmentation fault! :) The error message seems to suggest that the CPU might be at fault. Ideas?

There is also the executable stack message about Geekbench. I've seen that before.

Note that the 4k IOPS on the Node is 146.0k and only 95.4k inside the VM. Why such a big decrease in 4k IOPS? Maybe Crunchy needs a libvirt configuration tweak?

Interestingly, CPU and Network performance seem roughly the same inside the VM as on the Node.

I doubt very much that the segmentation fault is caused by bashvm. bashvm has performed super great on other test servers running Debian and Ubuntu. I love bashvm! <3

@subenhon @crunchbits @babywhale

bashvm@vm1-crunchy:~$ curl -sL yabs.sh | bash

Mon Feb 26 03:01:35 UTC 2024

Uptime     : 0 days, 0 hours, 2 minutes
    Processor  : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1245 v5 @ 3.50GHz
    CPU cores  : 2 @ 3503.982 MHz
    AES-NI     : ✔ Enabled
    VM-x/AMD-V : ✔ Enabled
    RAM        : 1.9 GiB
    Swap       : 0.0 KiB
    Disk       : 19.6 GiB
    Distro     : Debian GNU/Linux 12 (bookworm)
    Kernel     : 6.1.0-18-amd64
    VM Type    : KVM

IPv6 Network Information:
    Host       : Crunchbits LLC

fio Disk Speed Tests (Mixed R/W 50/50) (Partition /dev/vda1):
    Read       | 190.60 MB/s  (47.6k) | 2.15 GB/s    (33.7k)
    Write      | 191.10 MB/s  (47.7k) | 2.16 GB/s    (33.9k)
    Total      | 381.71 MB/s  (95.4k) | 4.32 GB/s    (67.6k)
               |                      |                     
    Read       | 3.38 GB/s     (6.6k) | 3.86 GB/s     (3.7k)
    Write      | 3.56 GB/s     (6.9k) | 4.12 GB/s     (4.0k)
    Total      | 6.95 GB/s    (13.5k) | 7.98 GB/s     (7.8k)

Clouvider       | London, UK (10G)          | busy            | 231 Mbits/sec   | 135 ms         
    Performing IPv4 iperf3 send test to Scaleway (Attempt #1 of 3)...[  205.214771] show_signal_msg: 2 callbacks suppressed
    [  205.214779] iperf3[871]: segfault at 2d0 ip 00007f8c06169759 sp 00007ffe40905c60 error 4 in libc.so.6[7f8c06108000+155000] likely on CPU 0 (core 0, socket 0)
    [  205.220512] Code: 8b 3c 25 00 03 00 00 e8 c5 9c 00 00 0f 1f 44 00 00 53 48 81 ec a0 00 00 00 64 48 8b 04 25 28 00 00 00 48 89 84 24 98 00 00 00 <8b> 87 d0 02 00 00 85 c0 75 25 48 8b 84 24 98 00 00 00 64 48 2b 04
    Scaleway        | Paris, FR (10G)           | 717 Mbits/sec   | 736 Mbits/sec   | 142 ms         
    NovoServe       | North Holland, NL (40G)   | busy            | busy            | 139 ms         
    Uztelecom       | Tashkent, UZ (10G)        | busy            | 138 Mbits/sec   | 226 ms         
    Clouvider       | NYC, NY, US (10G)         | busy            | busy            | 70.7 ms        
    Clouvider       | Dallas, TX, US (10G)      | 883 Mbits/sec   | 473 Mbits/sec   | 74.7 ms        
    Clouvider       | Los Angeles, CA, US (10G) | busy            | 655 Mbits/sec   | 41.2 ms        

Clouvider       | London, UK (10G)          | 777 Mbits/sec   | 258 Mbits/sec   | 135 ms         
    Scaleway        | Paris, FR (10G)           | 768 Mbits/sec   | busy            | 142 ms         
    NovoServe       | North Holland, NL (40G)   | 712 Mbits/sec   | 561 Mbits/sec   | 139 ms         
    Uztelecom       | Tashkent, UZ (10G)        | 527 Mbits/sec   | 109 Mbits/sec   | 226 ms         
    Clouvider       | NYC, NY, US (10G)         | 868 Mbits/sec   | 197 Mbits/sec   | 70.6 ms        
    Clouvider       | Dallas, TX, US (10G)      | 866 Mbits/sec   | 342 Mbits/sec   | 74.6 ms        
    Clouvider       | Los Angeles, CA, US (10G) | 903 Mbits/sec   | 824 Mbits/sec   | 41.1 ms        

Running GB6 benchmark test... *cue elevator music*[  562.575300] process 'bashvm/2024-02-26T03_01_36+00_00/geekbench_6/geekbench_avx2' started with executable stack
    Geekbench 6 Benchmark Test:
    Test            | Value                         
                    |                               
    Single Core     | 1444                          
    Multi Core      | 2481                          
    Full Test       | https://browser.geekbench.com/v6/cpu/5072072

YABS completed in 14 min 0 sec
    bashvm@vm1-crunchy:~$ 

Thanked by (1)babywhale

• It's interesting about the segmentation errors since other parts of the network testing still works but it does not like the first 3-4 tests.

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles