Hard Disks 101 - explained

2»

Comments

• host_chost_c Hosting Provider

@dwight said: This is great! I remembered there were fiber channel drives but they are rare now, mainly because SATA and NVME can provide much higher speeds.

We still have a 14 bay, I think, FC shelf from Netapp with 450GB drives at 15K, box has 2 controllers, 2 GBPS FC each. We were amazed at the speed of a raid 10 out of that, it actually saturated the 2 GBPS FC line, ooo, the golden days.....

Thanked by (1)bikegremlin

Host-C - VPS Services Provider - AS211462

"If there is no struggle there is no progress"

• bikegremlinbikegremlin ModeratorOGContent Writer

If it helps anyone - I got a 12 TB Seagate IronWolf Pro (my German - Amazon.de affiliate link) for about $270.

The picture says "Pro", the description doesn't, but I got the Pro allright. Passed all the stress tests, and has been working fine for a few months now. Looks good enough for me to have just ordered a second one.

Amazon reviews say it's refurbished (and hence the low price), but it doesn't state that anywhere on the package - and it looks, sounds, and works OK (at least the one I got, we'll see about the second one).

Relja of House Novović, the First of His Name, King of the Plains, the Breaker of Chains, WirMach Wolves pack member
    BikeGremlin's web-hosting reviews

• @bikegremlin said:
    If it helps anyone - I got a 12 TB Seagate IronWolf Pro (my German - Amazon.de affiliate link) for about $270.

The picture says "Pro", the description doesn't, but I got the Pro allright. Passed all the stress tests, and has been working fine for a few months now. Looks good enough for me to have just ordered a second one.

Amazon reviews say it's refurbished (and hence the low price), but it doesn't state that anywhere on the package - and it looks, sounds, and works OK (at least the one I got, we'll see about the second one).

Refurbished can also mean it's a customer return. Someone who ordered and decided to returned it cause they didn't like it or didn't need it or other reason. The vendor will test it and sell it as refurbished.

Sometimes it's also the shucked drives from external hdd enclosures on sale or even extra stock they want to get rid of before the warranty is close to expiry.

Not much difference from the real deal so as long as it works for you, good enough.

Artificial intelligence is no match for our natural stupidity.

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.

• Okay I am out this thread was NOT what I was expecting when I read the title!

URL Shortener | YetiNode | Come join us on the MetalVPS IRC channel!!! | Don't be a jerk, let YetiNode do the work.