ZAP-Hosting Lifetime Servers - Discussion, Updates

Comments

• YmpkerYmpker OGContent Writer

@bikegremlin said:
    A 59 minute 59 seconds 50% discount "jumped on me" (pop-up).
    With a countdown.

LOL

Not today, I say...
    :)

Those don't work for lifetime deals anyway :)

Thanked by (1)bikegremlin
  • @bikegremlin said:
    A 59 minute 59 seconds 50% discount "jumped on me" (pop-up).
    With a countdown.

LOL

Not today, I say...
    :)

That discount doesn't apply to lifetime products, though. :disappointed:

Thanked by (2)Ympker bikegremlin
  • @Ympker said: kvm/rootserver?

I am using their lifetime rootserver.

Thanked by (1)Ympker

Just received an email from ZAP Hosting reminding me to login and open the dashboard of one of my lifetime servers before December 30th in order to avoid suspension. They even put a direct link to the dashboard of the specific product. Quite nice tbh. This way they remind you to login and avoid suspension. Even after suspension you'd have 30 days to contact them to re-activate it though.

Hello Ympker,

We have discovered that you have not accessed your lifetime product Lifetime Linux vServer - #00000 via our web interface since October 19, 2023.

In order to avoid consequences for your product, you must log into your ZAP account within the next 30 days (i.e. by December 18th, 2023) and access the administrative overview of the package, otherwise the service you have booked will be blocked!
    If the service is blocked, we will contact you again by email. Please note that the next step after blocking is to delete your product!

If you have any questions, you can contact our support at any time.

Best regards,

your ZAP hosting team

Thanked by (2)bikegremlin FrankZ

ZAP Hosting Flash Deal on Lifetime VPS is back but "only" 25%off (yesterday it was 35% iirc).

Save 25% on Lifetime VPSs
    Code: xX8QFGfY
    More Black Friday deals: Click

Ends in:
    3o Minute(s)

https://zap-hosting.com/en/shop/product/lifetime-linux-vserver/

Thanked by (3)bikegremlin mee2 ehab
  • edited November 2023

@Ympker do you have experience upgrade the lxc box using do-release-upgrade??

ZAP Hosting just announced via email the next lifetime vps and lifetime rootserver discounts to be at:

Lifetime vServer:
    25.11.2023: 20:00 - 21:00 MEZ
    26.11.2023: 11:00 - 12:00 MEZ
    26.11.2023: 20:00 - 21:00 Uhr MEZ

Lifetime Rootserver:
    25.11.2023: 16:00 - 17:00 MEZ
    26.11.2023: 04:00 - 05:00 MEZ
    26.11.2023: 16:00 - 17:00 MEZ
    27.11.2023: 04:00 - 05:00 MEZ

I would assume the ones early in the morning (4am/5am) will incurr a bigger discount since barely anyone will see them. Yesterday at 2am lifetime dedi was 25% off. Might happen again during such time..

@skizio said:
    @Ympker do you have experience upgrade the lxc box using do-release-upgrade??

not with the lxc box, but upgraded by Debian KVM with them from Debian 10 to 11 with this :)

Thanked by (1)ehab
  • @Ympker said:
    not with the lxc box, but upgraded by Debian KVM with them from Debian 10 to 11 with this :)

So you still using 20.04?
    I try to update using using do-release-upgrade, but then can't boot :/

@skizio said:

@Ympker said:

Yes, on the lxc I am happy with 20 LTS :)

• @Ympker said:
    Yes, on the lxc I am happy with 20 LTS :)

Well, maybe i will just stay with 20

Thanked by (1)Ympker
  • edited November 2023

@skizio said:

@Ympker said:

I've wasted a whole month with their support to be able to upgrade the Debian 11.0 to the latest version.
    They don't support using OSs that are outside of what they provide in the install form, and they have some sort of system that checks whether the base-files package is updated or not (which updates /etc/debian_version and other files)

• @zgato said:
    I've wasted a whole month with their support to be able to upgrade the Debian 11.0 to the latest version.
    They don't support using OSs that are outside of what they provide in the install form, and they have some sort of system that checks whether the base-files package is updated or not (which updates /etc/debian_version and other files)

Then I will not waste my time to upgrade, just use 20 lts LOL

@skizio said:

@zgato said:

Then I will not waste my time to upgrade, just use 20 lts LOL

Yeah, 20.04 LTS should still be fine :) with rootserver and vnc you can netboot.xyz any os you want :)

• @Ympker said: I would assume the ones early in the morning (4am/5am) will incurr a bigger discount since barely anyone will see them

I think all of the percentages are displayed here https://zap-hosting.com/en/blog/2023/11/flash-voucher-codes-timetable-2023/

Thanked by (1)Ympker
  • edited July 25

The inactivity clause makes the lifetime offers viable, and that was a crucial element missing from CloudAtCost. Another crucial element making Zap viable and missing from CloudAtCost is this excerpt from the Zap TOS:

(5) The customer waives the right to use software which produces an excessive disproportionate load on the server hardware (certain mods/plug-ins, miner, etc.).

A large number number of people let their lifetime packages expire before it becomes a liability, zap is coming out on top statistically.

Btw I just bought my first Zap lifetime dedi with 1x E5-2667v2, 64 GB RAM, 2x 500 GB SSD and 2x IPv4's and no coupon (Ympker's coupon expired 2024-06-01) for 922.44€ (Was out-of-stock so it will take a week to be delivered, haven't actually gotten it yet)

Here's what happened to CAC, it would have happened eventually anyway, but it was very much accelerated:
    Bought 8x dedis at CAC, 7 of which had 2x xeons, and 1 had 4x xeons, all of them bought on Black Friday with huge discounts.
    They were mostly idle for months, but wrote a script to install Monero miners on all 8 at the same time. Within an hour, all of cloudatcost was down (members area was down, and all dedicated servers for all customers went offline) - CAC recovered within days, and put out a statement about cooling failure at the DC.

This used approximately (20*7)+(40*1)=180 dollars/month worth of electricity.

3 months later and CAC introduced a "you have to pay $20/MONTH per dedicated server for maintenance" - the approximate cost of electricity for running those Xeons 100% 24/7, and that was the spiritual death of CAC. Canceled 5 of the 8 servers shortly thereafter. Kept the remaining 3 for years. Eventually cancelled all except 1. Today I'm still paying $20/month for the last CAC dedi (and no, it isn't the 4-xeons server, because the maintenance fee for that one was $40/month), and have cancelled 7/8.

With the zap lifetime dedi I just bought, I will cancel my last CAC dedi soon.

Zap is protecting themselves from CAC's failure, both with the inactivity clause and the excessive-disproportionate-load clause.

Thanked by (1)Ympker
    edited July 25

@hanshenrik said:
    The inactivity clause makes the lifetime offers viable, and that was a crucial element missing from CloudAtCost. Another crucial element making Zap viable and missing from CloudAtCost is this excerpt from the Zap TOS:

(5) The customer waives the right to use software which produces an excessive disproportionate load on the server hardware (certain mods/plug-ins, miner, etc.).

A large number number of people let their lifetime packages expire before it becomes a liability, zap is coming out on top statistically.

Btw I just bought my first Zap lifetime dedi with 1x E5-2667v2, 64 GB RAM, 2x 500 GB SSD and 2x IPv4's and no coupon (Ympker's coupon expired 2024-06-01) for 922.44€ (Was out-of-stock so it will take a week to be delivered, haven't actually gotten it yet)

Here's what happened to CAC, it would have happened eventually anyway, but it was very much accelerated:
    Bought 8x dedis at CAC, 7 of which had 2x xeons, and 1 had 4x xeons, all of them bought on Black Friday with huge discounts.
    They were mostly idle for months, but wrote a script to install Monero miners on all 8 at the same time. Within an hour, all of cloudatcost was down (members area was down, and all dedicated servers for all customers went offline) - CAC recovered within days, and put out a statement about cooling failure at the DC.

This used approximately (20*7)+(40*1)=180 dollars/month worth of electricity.

3 months later and CAC introduced a "you have to pay $20/MONTH per dedicated server for maintenance" - the approximate cost of electricity for running those Xeons 100% 24/7, and that was the spiritual death of CAC. Canceled 5 of the 8 servers shortly thereafter. Kept the remaining 3 for years. Eventually cancelled all except 1. Today I'm still paying $20/month for the last CAC dedi (and no, it isn't the 4-xeons server, because the maintenance fee for that one was $40/month), and have cancelled 7/8.

With the zap lifetime dedi I just bought, I will cancel my last CAC dedi soon.

Zap is protecting themselves from CAC's failure, both with the inactivity clause and the excessive-disproportionate-load clause.

I don't know about CloudAtCost at all, but I will say (maybe also due to German bias) that I trust ZAP Hosting to hold up their end of the bargain and consider them a well-established hosting company in Germany, albeit they haven't had the most glorious past. Surely, they have calculated things and added up the numbers to come up with the lifetime vps/dedi/webhosting offers they have right now. They offered lifetime gameservers for a couple of years before introducing other lifetime products, so they have also collected data during that time, I'd assume. I'm still happy with both my lifetime vps and currently in the process of migrating web hosting stuff from MyW lifetime (MikePT) to my Plesk Lifetime web hosting with ZAP. I enjoy the Plesk panel much more than DirectAdmin so far (althou that wouldn't have been the point for migrating anyway) and due to the fact that I have a Minecraft lifetime gameserver from ZAP, which I bought way before they offered, I also have a lifetime 10GB FTP backup space with them which is technically meant for Minecraft, but I'll pusb some wp backups there. The only thing I can imagine changing in the future is that IPs won't be offered at a one-time fee anymore since IPv4 get more expensive every year lol. Maybe they'll even charge for extra IPs of existing customers, but I'm not sure about that since pacta sunt servanda and changing contracts unilaterally towards the disadvantage of the client is not in accordance with (EU) law. The clause regarding not using heavy load appliances such as mining is something I'd assume would only be enforced on vps, as Dedis are, well, dedicated. I need to reinstall my Germany vps due to raid failure, though. Was nothing crucial in it, anyway.

I've never really been tempted by their dedis, but as I collect VPS with them I often thought about getting a dedi at some point.

Anyway, happy to see so many LES people have been enjoying their offers just like me, and even some of you guys bought dedis like you, @ruben , and even some server provider here (forgot who).

• edited July 25

@Ympker said:
    Anyway, happy to see so many LES people have been enjoying their offers just like me, and even some of you guys bought dedis like you, @ruben , and even some server provider here (forgot who).

Yup, still enjoying this LXC lifetime in Finland. Also very happy that their network there is slowly getting better, because it was actually not great before, neither is now, but way better.

Apart from a few initial hiccups (support needs to improve A LOT), been flawless since.

Thanked by (1)Ympker
  • ialexpwialexpw OGServices Provider

Still happy with my lifetime dedicated from Zap. I got the Xeon E5-2640v2, 64 GB RAM, 1x 240 GB SSD for ~£420 and it's been running fine for over a year now (purchased May 2023).

Thanked by (2)Ympker hanshenrik

@zgato said:

@Ympker said:

Yup, still enjoying this LXC lifetime in Finland. Also very happy that their network there is slowly getting better, because it was actually not great before, neither is now, but way better.

Apart from a few initial hiccups (support needs to improve A LOT), been flawless since.

Yeah, Finland has been improving which is nice to see. Just curious, but did you actually upgrade network speed or kept the default (500 Mbits shared)? I often thought 1000 Mbit/s would sound cooler and most vps nowadays advertise 1000 Mbit/s shared, but tbh I wouldn't need it really so..

Regarding support, I found their L2/L3 are definitely more helpful, as for their L1 I found out (following their discord), that there seem to be many volunteers, who sometimes are still teenagers (no offense; you can be highly skilled as a teenager as well), who after being Discord mod for a while can make an internship as an L1 support agent. This, and L1 being the first instance you would normally be dealing with, of course means quality will likely vary a lot from agent to agent.

edited July 25

@ialexpw said:
    Still happy with my lifetime dedicated from Zap. I got the Xeon E5-2640v2, 64 GB RAM, 1x 240 GB SSD for ~£420 and it's been running fine for over a year now (purchased May 2023).

You were the provider with lifetime dedi I was thinking of, haha. Good that you commented xD

How many IPs did you get?

• @zgato said:

@Ympker said:

what is your experience with support? I'm really impressed for the support i have received i feel like i made some friends too.

• ialexpwialexpw OGServices Provider

@Ympker said:

@ialexpw said:

You were the provider with lifetime dedi I was thinking of, haha. Good that you commented xD

I was going to go for a few, but ended up just with a single IP when I purchased it. It's now just used as a development box when I need somewhere to potentially break things!

Haven't really had any issues, the only downside I can think of is the iLO interface when I need to reinstall is rather slow compared to what I've used in the past, but it's usable on the rare occasion that I need it.

Thanked by (1)Ympker

@ialexpw said:

@Ympker said:

@ialexpw said:

I was going to go for a few, but ended up just with a single IP when I purchased it. It's now just used as a development box when I need somewhere to potentially break things!

Haven't really had any issues, the only downside I can think of is the iLO interface when I need to reinstall is rather slow compared to what I've used in the past, but it's usable on the rare occasion that I need it.

Sounds great overall :)

Thanked by (1)ialexpw
  • edited July 25

@Ympker said:

@zgato said:

@Ympker said:

Yeah, Finland has been improving which is nice to see. Just curious, but did you actually upgrade network speed or kept the default (500 Mbits shared)? I often thought 1000 Mbit/s would sound cooler and most vps nowadays advertise 1000 Mbit/s shared, but tbh I wouldn't need it really so..

Regarding support, I found their L2/L3 are definitely more helpful, as for their L1 I found out (following their discord), that there seem to be many volunteers, who sometimes are still teenagers (no offense; you can be highly skilled as a teenager as well), who after being Discord mod for a while can make an internship as an L1 support agent. This, and L1 being the first instance you would normally be dealing with, of course means quality will likely vary a lot from agent to agent.

I kept 500 Mbps since I didn't really need much. Since they have a 5 TB limit, I would assume they would at least give 1 Gbps but it's whatever I guess.

Their support is friendly, and they actually try to help you. They also treat you kind of dumb in some cases, but I find it fine considering ZAP's user base being mostly kids or not so much experienced people.
    Issue is that there's too many people working there without any sort of knowledge or power to do certain stuff, which then causes issues to be delayed a lot, to, I suppose, a single admin that has powers to make those decisions/changes.
    It took them over a month to fix a Debian 11 image issue which couldn't be upgraded, but since the server is "lifetime" didn't even ask for compensation.

Finally, after a while, seems like they added a Debian 12 image too. Now worried that I should reinstall completely or risk my server by upgrading it xD

• @perryoo11 said:

@zgato said:

@Ympker said:

what is your experience with support? I'm really impressed for the support i have received i feel like i made some friends too.

See my post above.

Thanked by (1)perryoo11
  • Btw interesting thing about the lifetime Roostervers, it doesn't take much specs upgrading from the base package before the dedicated servers are a better deal than the Roostervers.

edited July 25

@hanshenrik said:
    Btw interesting thing about the lifetime Roostervers, it doesn't take much specs upgrading from the base package before the dedicated servers are a better deal than the Roostervers.

One of the reasons, I preferred Rootservers, was not only price but also that with rootservers/lxc you will get new hw more quickly once your node gets upgraded/sorted out, while Dedi you keep your hw for better or worse. Although they mentioned that upon hw fail they will replace dedi hw, so maybe upgrade then :P

LXC also has the best 1-click install latest OS atm, but of course on dedi you can use Proxmox, but Rootserver distros were quite old so that I had to use netboot or manually upgrade Debian last time.

But, yeah. I mean lifetime dedi is really a great deal. Can imagine many people only dreaming about this. E.g. also private gameserver communities that want to host their game forever and won't have much income.

• edited July 25

Going by the CPU models the Roostervers offer, they haven't upgraded the Roostervers since 2014 or so 🤔 maybe that means it will happen soon?

Thanked by (1)Ympker

@hanshenrik said:
    Going by the CPU models the Roostervers offer, they haven't upgraded the Roostervers since 2014 or so 🤔 maybe that means it will happen soon?

Lxc has more recent CPU

• I've vps from Zap
    how about their web hosting terms? anything specific about termination?