LES BSD Thread!

124»

Comments

• @Not_Oles said: I didn't see a click-to-enable netboot.xyz in Linveo's Virtfusion. So I guess you used a custom upload of a netboot.xyz ISO? May I please ask how did you get netboot.xyz going?

On the "Media" tab there is "CD/DVD-ROM" with a drop down list which contains netboot.xyz as the first entry (maybe only for TX?)

Alternatively, you could probably just use https://boot.netboot.xyz/ipxe/netboot.xyz.iso as a custom ISO?

Thanked by (2)Not_Oles AlwaysSkint
  • Not_OlesNot_Oles Hosting ProviderContent Writer
    edited September 14

@cmeerw said: On the "Media" tab there is "CD/DVD-ROM" with a drop down list which contains netboot.xyz as the first entry (maybe only for TX?)

Got it! Thanks!

This is in Arizona.

I hope everyone gets the servers they want!

• edited September 14

^ Yup this is how I booted netboot.xyz and my VM is in Texas
    That particular netboot doesn't have NetBSD; is there one that does?
    I was going to try the template ones, with cloud-init turned off but they vanished from VF.
    (Not a lover of cloud-init anyway, 'cos I usually manually partition with LVM where available and have static IP for servers - unless in a real rush to get up & running.)

Today I've been battling with FreeBSD, webmin and ipfilter, whereby the webmin template rules cause outbound pings and pkg updates to fail. Being slightly more au fait with iptables syntax, it's a wee bit of a struggle. Gonna try out ipfw next, as that has a webmin module as standard. 'Tis a shame good 'ol CSF requires iptables to function. ;)

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles

It wisnae me! A big boy done it and ran away.
    NVMe2G for life! until death (the end is nigh)

• @Not_Oles said: How does the customer confirm the contents of the template?

Therein lies the rub - I've seen some real nasty 'hidden gems' that get inserted, including ssh keys (don't recall who that was) and have fun tracing what the likes of OVH do. Much prefer using a minimal ISO, even though some bloat eg. wi-fi drivers (on a server!) are installed.

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles

• edited September 14

@linveo BTW, it's perfect having a decent amount of backup slots available. When experimenting at least one doesn't need to start from scratch each time there's a fubar. :+1:
    Good job! :D B)

Thanked by (2)Not_Oles linveo

• edited September 14

@Crab said: OpenBSD 7.4 amd64 - boot hangs late

From the above self-install netboot.xyz method..

OpenBSD linveo.xxxxx.com 7.4 GENERIC.MP#3 amd64

Silly me just re-discovered the "Other BSD" templates - do'h! No luck with either, presumably with cloud-init still disabled on my VM.

NetBSD --> 1. Boot with serial console = hang
    OpenBSD --> switching console to com0 = hang

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles

• @AlwaysSkint said: OpenBSD --> switching console to com0 = hang

This is also happening to me, must investigate.

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles

youtube.com/watch?v=k1BneeJTDcU

• @Otus9051 said:

@AlwaysSkint said: OpenBSD --> switching console to com0 = hang

This is also happening to me, must investigate.

see https://lowendspirit.com/discussion/comment/185749/#Comment_185749

• edited September 15

@cmeerw said: OpenBSD boot loader where you just type "boot"

As an avid semi-amatoor, it strikes me that you'd need to put in boot parameters, such as initram and rootfs.

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles

• edited September 15

@AlwaysSkint said:

@cmeerw said: OpenBSD boot loader where you just type "boot"

As an avid semi-amatoor, it strikes me that you'd need to put in boot parameters, such as initram and rootfs.

I don't think any of the BSDs even have the concept of an initramfs. rootfs maybe, but if it's missing or incorrect, there should be an error saying that (or a prompt asking for the rootfs device)

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles
  • Trying some older NetBSD installation images, and with 4.0.1 it gets a bit further up to:

warning: no /dev/console
    panic: cnopen: no console device

Maybe newer versions have the same issue, but just reboot way earlier?

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles
  • edited September 15

@cmeerw said:

I don't think any of the BSDs even have the concept of an initramfs. rootfs maybe

https://man.netbsd.org/NetBSD-10.x-BRANCH/boot.8 might glean some clues?

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles

• linveolinveo Hosting ProviderOG

Hey everyone, just getting caught up. I haven't gotten a reply from VF, but it is the weekend. It seems like the templates are a no go though right now. I did see some success with the people using the netboot option though which is interesting. Let me know if there are any items I need to test on the Hypervisor side.

Thanked by (2)AlwaysSkint Not_Oles

linveo.com | Shared Hosting | KVM VPS | Dedicated Servers

• If anyone struggle with ipv6 setup on Ohio network, just set the prefixlen to 48 instead 64 . In Arizona was working fine with 64 prefixlen.

Thanked by (3)Crab linveo Not_Oles

ServerStatus , slackvpn <-- openVPN auto install script for Slackware 15

• edited September 15

@emperor said:
    If anyone struggle with ipv6 setup on Ohio network, just set the prefixlen to 48 instead 64 . In Arizona was working fine with 64 prefixlen.

It is the same thing in TX, /64 doesn't work even though the panel tells you that. 48 will make the default router pingable, but traffic doesn't seem to go further than that though.

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles
  • edited September 15

@Crab if you already set ipv6_defaultrouter in rc.conf can you try issuing this to see if its gonna work? I remember i needed to do it manual as something is broken and rc not setting it up as default only adding it as route.
    route -6 add default ipv6_defaultrouter (replace ipv6_defaultrouter with the actual default route from linveo control panel )

Thanked by (3)Crab linveo Not_Oles

• @emperor said:
    @Crab if you already set ipv6_defaultrouter in rc.conf can you try issuing this to see if its gonna work? I remember i needed to do it manual as something is broken and rc not setting it up as default only adding it as route.
    route -6 add default ipv6_defaultrouter (replace ipv6_defaultrouter with the actual default route from linveo control panel )

Interesting, that made it work! It has worked well elsewhere for me just by using rc.conf and without any manual route setting, so it didn't even cross my mind. I was automatically expecting something to be wrong in the environment. Thanks for the tip!

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles
  • @Crab said:

You are welcome. I don't think this will keep running after reboot (haven't made reboot yet), so adding simple rc.local file will fix broken ipv6 after reboot.

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles

@emperor said:

I've never been a fan of how VF handles the /64 routes. It points to the gateway of the /48 parent block instead of creating a new one. It seems to work ok on Linux. I haven't tested on Windows though.

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles

• @linveo said: Let me know if there are any items I need to test on the Hypervisor side.

It's a bit hard to say as I don't really know what you can reasonably test on the Hypervisor side.

With NetBSD the current status is that the images work fine with a standard qemu (at least to the point that it successfully boots), but when trying to run them under VirtFusion, we seem to get a kernel panic (but without any console output) very early from the NetBSD kernel. So one thing that would be useful would be the exact qemu options VirtFusion is using (which might help in reproducing the issue and understanding what's responsible for the kernel panic). Another thing is that VirtFusion configures a serial port for the VM, but it's not clear where the output from that serial port ends up - if using the serial port as a console, the kernel panic will probably be written there (and knowing what NetBSD complains about would be extremely helpful).

• I was able to get a screenshot of 9.4 just before the reboot and it was showing

WARNING: couldn't open /var/db/entropy-file
    Loading /stand/amd64/9.4/modules/cd9660/cd9660.kmod

just before it crashes. Perhaps the kernel is not able to load the module and panics?

• @Crab said:
    I was able to get a screenshot of 9.4 just before the reboot and it was showing

just before it crashes. Perhaps the kernel is not able to load the module and panics?

I wonder if that's maybe still coming from the loader (just before passing control to the kernel), not the kernel yet?

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles

Here might be an interesting NetBSD install method:

# From Linux to NetBSD, with SSH Only
    remote NetBSD install with pivot root pivot_root
    https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=41041995
    https://cloudbsd.xyz/

@Not_Oles said:

@linveo I guess you would have said something if you heard back from Virtfusion. Should we conclude that there is no simple and easy way to get OpenBSD or NetBSD via Virtfusion?

FreeBSD is installed on my VM. I like FreeBSD. But installing also is fun! I wonder if there is a good way to go directly from FreeBSD to NetBSD or OpenBSD and back?

Alternatively, @linveo is it okay for me to change my VM to Debian so that I can try following the cloudbsd.xyz install?

• edited September 19

FreeBSD works great on the Linveo instance and I'm very happy with its performance. Network is snappy and the node doesn't feel like it is crowded at all. Disk I/O is superfast. With both Root-on-ZFS and swap encryptions there's no noticeable performance loss. Even dd results are similar! Very impressive.

I definitely want to see OpenBSD and NetBSD both working here, but looks like we're at the mercy of VirtFusion. The problem must be something pretty simple and trivial since it is all just QEMU after all and it should support this just fine.

Thanked by (1)linveo
  • @cmeerw said:

@Crab said:
    I was able to get a screenshot of 9.4 just before the reboot and it was showing

I wonder if that's maybe still coming from the loader (just before passing control to the kernel), not the kernel yet?

Sorry I forgot to reply to this earlier. It should be past the initial kernel loading as it shows the progress and ends at

18482656+671680+1425472 [871029+1254864+897200]=0x16e2aa0.

I believe after the core kernel loading it should start loading all the modules that are not compiled in and there it just throws the towel in either at the 9660.kmod or whatever it tries to load after that. My guess is that the 9660.kmod throws it off. Perhaps the virtio drivers are to blame...

@Not_Oles said:

@Not_Oles said:

@linveo I guess you would have said something if you heard back from Virtfusion. Should we conclude that there is no simple and easy way to get OpenBSD or NetBSD via Virtfusion?

FreeBSD is installed on my VM. I like FreeBSD. But installing also is fun! I wonder if there is a good way to go directly from FreeBSD to NetBSD or OpenBSD and back?

Alternatively, @linveo is it okay for me to change my VM to Debian so that I can try following the cloudbsd.xyz install?

It's been radio silent on the BSD templates. It doesn't seem well supported. Sure you can use any template you want now. I was hoping to get some good results with the other versions, but I have retired the templates for now.

• edited 12:39AM

For anyone who doesn't mind playing: your mission, should you choose to accept it..
    Using FreeBSD (as that's appears to be the easiest to get running), install webmin along with an appropriate firewall, with webmin working GUI.
    On the face of it, I'd prefer ipfw but the webmin GUI has a severe memory leak/resource issue whenever it's selected. Perhaps it's just my installation. :/
    Any words of wisdom, will be appreciated. Yup, I could mess around in a shell prompt but life's too short/other things to do. ;)