LES BSD Thread!

Comments

• Not_OlesNot_Oles Hosting ProviderContent Writer

@cmeerw said: I thought I'd give Haiku a try

From https://www.haiku-os.org/

Haiku is an open-source operating system that specifically targets personal computing. Inspired by the BeOS, Haiku is fast, simple to use, easy to learn and yet very powerful.

Haiku gets my vote for explaining what it is on the home page. I remember a lot of people used to really like BeOS.

@cmeerw I can hardly wait to hear what you think after you try Haiku! Thanks!

I hope everyone gets the servers they want!

@linveo said: Just for learning sake, OpenBSD uses viona0 for the virtio based interface. NetBSD uses vioif0. FreeBSD uses vtnet0.

This little tidbit is gold! Thanks @linveo!

• FreeBSD 14.1 ISO installation worked well too. i need to spend some more time with NetBSD and OpenBSD templates and ISOs over the weekend. Hopefully we'll get everything working.

• @Not_Oles said: Under the "Advanced" install options, I had turned VNC off.

You can always later enable VNC in the "Options" tab.

@Not_Oles said: Did you use the "Self-install option" in Linveo's Virtfusion and an official NetBSD image? If no, how did you do i?

I first tried the NetbSD 9.3 image, but then tried to boot the offical NetBSD 10.0 ISO by adding a custom CD/DVD-ROM image via the "Media" tab (actually tried lots of NetBSD images from 5.x up to the latest daily snapshot - all of them immediately rebooted after loading the kernel)

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles
  • @Not_Oles said: @cmeerw I can hardly wait to hear what you think after you try Haiku! Thanks!

I do occasionally run it in a VM on my local laptop (and have contributed some simple IPv6 fixes to the kernel, as well as added an xmake ports package and updated the luajit ports package).

I definitely gets better over time (Emacs now supports it), but there are still quite a few things missing like Path-MTU discovery and full IPv6 support.

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles
  • linveolinveo Hosting ProviderOG

It looks like there may be some luck if I turn off cloud-init for the VM. Let me know if any one of you want to try this path and I will turn it off. The FreeBSD templates have worked like a charm and are supported by VF. Not sure what issues the other two distros have with the settings

Thanked by (2)AlwaysSkint Not_Oles

linveo.com | Shared Hosting | KVM VPS | Dedicated Servers

• @linveo said: Let me know if any one of you want to try this path

I'll give it a bash.

@linveo said: The FreeBSD templates have worked like a charm

I managed to easily install webmin, and enjoying 'playing' around.

It wisnae me! A big boy done it and ran away.
    NVMe2G for life! until death (the end is nigh)

• linveolinveo Hosting ProviderOG

@AlwaysSkint said:

@linveo said: Let me know if any one of you want to try this path

I'll give it a bash.

I have disabled cloud-init on your VM. Let me know if you have any luck. I have a query out to VF to see what support they have towards the other BSDs.

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles

linveo.com | Shared Hosting | KVM VPS | Dedicated Servers

• @linveo said: Let me know if you have any luck

Will do - I need zzzz first. :)

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles

@linveo said:
    It looks like there may be some luck if I turn off cloud-init for the VM. Let me know if any one of you want to try this path and I will turn it off. The FreeBSD templates have worked like a charm and are supported by VF. Not sure what issues the other two distros have with the settings

Hi @linveo! Thanks for keeping in touch and offering additional help! For me, I am going to say "No, thank-you!" for the moment, because I think turning off cloud-init will break the nice FreeBSD template. But I will ask you to go ahead and turn cloud-init off if somebody confirms getting a NetBSD 10 install working or maybe 9.3 from the template plus an upgrade to 10. (Note that the NetBSD 9.3 template is not the current version, 10, which has been out for a while.) Best wishes and thanks again! <3

@linveo said: I have a query out to VF to see what support they have towards the other BSDs.

Hi again @linveo! That's great! It will be super interesting to see what VF says! If VF can't support OpenBSD and NetBSD, I would love to know why not. Thank you! <3

• I went through the latest OpenBSD and NetBSD ISOs and i just couldn't get them booting up despite of whatever boot options I used, so it is a big bummer. Hopefully VF support can give some pointers on how to get this stuff working. I'd really like to try them out.

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles
  • Got my @linveo VM, time to set it up!

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles

youtube.com/watch?v=k1BneeJTDcU

• https://netboot.xyz does have both Free and OpenBSD, I will try to install OpenBSD from there.

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles

• @Otus9051 said:
    Got my @linveo VM, time to set it up!

Get that BSD rockin'!

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles
  • @linveo said:

I wouldn't think cloud-init would make a difference - the reboot is way too early.

Would it be possible to share what options VirtFusion is passing to qemu, so we could try reproducing locally and removing each option one by one to see which one is responsible?

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles
  • Well as it seems, OpenBSD does install from VF itself, but the network is somehow misconfigured.
    Opening VNC shows it shifting its console to com0, kinda inconvenient.
    I guess I will try netboot.xyz then.

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles

• edited September 14

or uhhhhhhh
    DHCP doesn't have DNS?

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles

• Well I will just use FreeBSD for the time being until I figure out how to actually install OpenBSD.

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles

• hey there!

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles

• So for OpenBSD you can get the console output if you first boot into netboot.xyz, but then boot from the local hard disk while pressing the "Ctrl" key - this gets you into the OpenBSD boot loader where you just type "boot". The console then shows boot messages until it stops at

fd0 at fdc0 drive 1: density unknown

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles
  • @Otus9051 said:
    hey there!

FreeBSD just works.

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles
  • I used netboot.xyz and got OpenBSD booted and (semi-)manually installed - hurrah! 1st time ever on OpenBSD (as I was on FreeBSD). What a very interesting old-skool automatic disk allocation; pre-defined X partitions on a server, even though I didn't add those sets. :/
    Relatively painless process, especially as I don't tend to use provider templates, preferring to allocate disks the way that I want.

Still a no-show with NetBSD however. Sorry, Not_Oles

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles

• havochavoc OGContent Writer

opnsense but only reluctantly tbh.

More comfortable on the CLI of debian based OSs

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles
  • edited September 14

Let me join the Linveo bsd servers :D Ipv6 was added on install but not enabled in server which was very fast to do it in rc.conf

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles

ServerStatus , slackvpn <-- openVPN auto install script for Slackware 15

@AlwaysSkint said:
    I used netboot.xyz and got OpenBSD booted and (semi-)manually installed - hurrah!

I didn't see a click-to-enable netboot.xyz in Linveo's Virtfusion. So I guess you used a custom upload of a netboot.xyz ISO? May I please ask how did you get netboot.xyz going?

1st time ever on OpenBSD (as I was on FreeBSD). What a very interesting old-skool automatic disk allocation; pre-defined X partitions on a server, even though I didn't add those sets. :/

I was trying NetBSD's installer elsewhere than Linveo a few days ago. It did not provide any default disk allocations. So I guess an installer might reasonably either make a guess as to what might be appropriate for some people or else salute and await instructions. One thing I like about the OpenBSD installer's default allocations is that it tips you off about what seems to be a preference for multiple partitions.

Relatively painless process, especially as I don't tend to use provider templates, preferring to allocate disks the way that I want.

How is it that providers don't show how and where they got the templates? How does the customer confirm the contents of the template? How does the customer double check and confirm the template's sig and the checksum?

If I remember correctly, FreeBSD used to have a utility which ran through and checked all the executables on an installed system. I used it once, a long time ago. I can't remember the name of that utility. Does anybody know the name?

Still a no-show with NetBSD however. Sorry, Not_Oles

It's okay. No worries! NetBSD has deep magic. If the problem is with NetBSD, which is unlikely, but happens sometimes, there is next-to-zero chance that the problem, once it is known, will not be fixed practically instantly, maybe in a few hours.

Almost off topic here in this thread, but I found myself logged in to Void Linux yesterday. There seemed to be a peacefulness akin to the BSDs. If you list the contents of your distro's /etc, how does looking at your listing make you feel emotionally?

• @AlwaysSkint said:
    I used netboot.xyz and got OpenBSD booted and (semi-)manually installed - hurrah!

Interesting...I tried booting OpenBSD with netboot.xyz and it hangs when scanning the scsibus (or after it). The behavior is the same when using a regular ISO boot. My VM is in TX and I believe yours is in AZ, correct? I'm wondering whether the config or hardware is different between us.

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles
  • OpenBSD 7.2 i386 actually did boot. Let me do some more testing here.

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles

@Not_Oles said: Almost off topic here in this thread, but I found myself logged in to Void Linux yesterday. There seemed to be a peacefulness akin to the BSDs. If you list the contents of your distro's /etc, how does looking at your listing make you feel emotionally?

Haha, I just showed the above image to a friend. I asked him how the image made him feel. His first words were, "peaceful, happy."

• OpenBSD 7.2 i386 - boots
    OpenBSD 7.3 i386 - boots
    OpenBSD 7.4 i386 - boots
    OpenBSD 7.5 i386 - boots
    OpenBSD 7.2 amd64 - boot hangs late
    OpenBSD 7.3 amd64 - boot hangs late
    OpenBSD 7.4 amd64 - boot hangs late
    OpenBSD 7.5 amd64 - boot hangs late
    OpenBSD 7.5 template - boot hangs early

Something is definitely off with amd64 here, but I don't have ideas what it could be.

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles